Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Greetings 2017, sure to be a fantastic year! Right?

Thread Rules.

1 - No Star Trek (Go here)
2 - No Dr. Who (Go here)
3 - No Westworld (Go here)
4 - No Avatar/Korra (Go... somewhere else?)
5 - Here's the IRC link if you want it for some reason Nevermind this is dead dinosaur tech apparently!
5 - Here's the link for the TVIV Discord. It's like IRC but new and good I'm told: https://discord.gg/ebYDQBm

Couch Chat Specific Spoiler Rules: Do no ask for or post spoilers for anything aired in the last week on TV. Go to the thread for that show if you want to know spoilers. No thread for the show and you still want spoilers? Google it.

X-O fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IRQ posted:

I didn't see no game of throoooooones? :getin:

That would imply that someone actually wanted to talk about that anymore. Judging how the amount of reports on that thread went from "Nearly every single report" to "Zero" during this year I assume people finally don't care about it anymore.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't think anyone's actually still talking about Korra...

Then my job is going well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow I guess I don't watch as much TV as I thought. I recognized maybe one out of every five of those.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So 2016 managed to give a last "gently caress You!" as it slithered away. We lost Father Mulcahy (William Christopher) from M.A.S.H. on 12/31. And 2017 if you even look at Alan Alda the wrong way we're gonna have words.

X-O fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 1, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I doubt it. A lot of shows on cable are doing that now and just putting it back in later for digital/streaming releases.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

get that OUT of my face posted:

I saw the first episode of The Mick. It's pretty good, and when you compare it to the average pilot episode it's really good. I'm sure it'll get even better as it goes on.

I assume from the ads that part of that is that Kaitlin Olson has already been playing the part for 11 years so it came fully formed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dexo posted:

Wow. They completely rewrote their pitch for Powerless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDnO2cvBbnA

They should try again, third time's the charm.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rocksicles posted:

Yes, it's not bad. Ryan Phillippe is killing it as the main guy.

That's interesting. The first time I ever liked him was on the first season of Secrets and Lies. I was thinking maybe his performance in that was an anomaly since I'd never liked him in anything else.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Baronash posted:

Are there any good examples of this happening before? Where the concept is completely changed but the same cast is used.

I can't name any off the top of my head that did it before ever premiering but it seems like that would be the best time to do it. A lot of shows do it after. A recent example was Cougar Town which basically changed the entire show while keeping all the same characters and cast.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

Also it looks like Jeremy Davies is the bad guy for the season and he's definitely Jeremy Davies-ing it up.

Don't you dare try and sell that show back to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kraps posted:

Why do the travelers in Travelers have such bad intel on their hosts? "hmm no one will notice if a retarded girl is suddenly normal" I'm on ep 2

Maybe watch more than one episode before asking that? That specifically is answered. Not only answered, but it actually serves to jumpstart a whole other storyline later in the season.

Snak posted:

One thing they never address is how it would be possible to fake being an FBI agent for even a few days with no knowledge whatsoever about it. He'd get flagged almost immediate as acting suspicious. Missing meetings, no loving clue what cases he was working on, not filling out paperwork correctly. They would think he was compromised almost immediately.

I feel this is also addressed, but not as directly. They all expect to pretty much disappear from existence as soon as their plan is complete, which is relatively soon after they arrive.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 8, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a Golden Globes thread in case you want to see which studios and networks spent the most to bring home a gold statue this year.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

UK thread. The premiere was bullshit, but general twitter buzz I'm hearing for ep 2 is stronger.

The second episode was my favorite episode of the entire series, by a fairly wide margin. I think it's easily the best story they've done and I can't wait for the third episode. I thought the premiere was quite good as well but the second episode built off of it incredibly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

Is this love/hate about Sherlock a real thing or a TVIV thing? I agree it's often flawed and has several outright "bad" episodes, but on the whole it's not worth hating is it? Really?

I don't think you understand how this works. Things are either the best things ever or the worst things ever. There's no middle ground anymore for anything. Try to keep up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

Martin Freeman says he gets more fan recognition for Sherlock than Hobbit.

I'd imagine he gets more recognition from The Office than The Hobbit. I mean people actually like The Office.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Better Off Ted creator Victor Fresco would like to introduce you to a new generation of hurricane-proof zombies, with the help of Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant:

quote:

Married couple Sheila and Joel (Barrymore and Olyphant) are real estate agents in Santa Clarita, California. The couple's lives take a dark turn after Sheila dies.

I would imagine most people's lives dark turn after they die.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was really excited for it based on the trailers since I'd never heard of it before that, but I didn't really care for the first episode at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Ugh that show sounds terrible but like 80℅ of my posts in this thread are about how amazing Rectify is so you picked the right lever to get me to think about it.

It literally has no correlation to Rectify at all. I'm not even sure why that was brought up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

You're probably just going to have to accept that you're in the minority for this opinion, in this forum at least.

Yeah, I didn't like it either. But I understand why people do. Just wasn't my kind of thing. Which is a shame because the trailers were really interesting to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

sector_corrector posted:

How is there no Young Pope thread? You dinguses devoted 10,000 pages to West World in the first week it premiered, and that was about as deep as a puddle.

There is. We just started it a while back when several of us first saw the series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is not a politics thread, so you can just go ahead and take that poo poo somewhere else.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jim DiGriz posted:

How in the hell is geolocking content on a goddamn video streaming service is still a thing in 2017? Prime video has just launched in our country a month or two ago, and Sneaky Pete is not in the lineup. I get it with other studios' material (well, I accept it, I don't actually get it), but when Amazon makes the loving content, why can't I use my Amazon subscription to watch it?

The video services don't decide that. The studios do. Sneaky Pete is a co-production with Sony TV. It means that Sony is distributing it elsewhere. So Sony is who you blame, not Amazon.

When in doubt, always blame Sony.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

PantsBandit posted:

What's the general opinion on 4K? I'm in the market to buy a new tv and probably won't be again for several years, is it worth it to spring for a 4K display at this point? I don't currently have anything that outputs at 4K but who knows a year from now.

A year ago it was a bad investment because of the price. Now it's cheap to get a good 4K TV. So long as you have a service that makes it worth it or you invest in UHD blurays.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mu Zeta posted:

RIP Miguel Ferrer, you bad motherfucker

Ah goddammit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hint: If you use a spoiler tag to spoil one word in a sentence and the rest of the sentence makes it pretty clear what that word is through context clues you're not using a spoiler tag right. This show just aired and people are talking about it and asking about it and some are probably not wanting to be spoiled. So let's not spoil it without using spoiler tags correctly.

Also if you actually do want spoilers, or want to talk without spoiler tags, there's a thread for it. How about from now on don't spoil or ask for spoilers on recently aired shows in this thread? Go to the thread of that show if you want to be spoiled.

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 21, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If any of you wish to discuss The Good Place further, even if you've never watched it, here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790027

Let's not speak on it anymore in this thread for a while.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey everyone just a heads up since I'm way behind the times and I'm sure most of you knew this. The TVIV IRC is pretty much dead, but there's a Discord now. Which I am told is better and it's linked in the OP now. So if you want to chat about TV or whatever there go for it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Looks like a bunch of the recommended shows are on HULU only. I do not current;y have HULK so I'm giving Goliath on Prime a shot.

I wish there was a HULK streaming service. That would be the best.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think they're just trying to build up a huge catalog of their own shows so they can stop licensing other stuff. They've already drastically reduced the amount of licensed content they have the last few years. In five years or so I can imagine Netflix being just Netflix original programming.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

A part of it is that also these giant media companies want more of the share on their old stuff and many are pulling things in order to start their own individual services. Soon if you want to watch a CBS or NBC or FOX show you'll have to sub to their own service. It'll be the a la carte cable service people have been asking for the last decade and now that they're getting it they won't be happy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bring back old gbs posted:

lm-loving-ao thats cartoonish, and impossible to counter. All you need is a single hit to erase like 10 flops, and flops are hard to come by when your demographics are so laser focused you can produce a show to target a group of like ~5000 people in a small village in mexico because the algorithm noticed numbers were slumping there.

I believe Netflix have said before that not every series needs to be a home run. I believe they said they were fine with a bunt single and home run every now and then. I'm also pretty sure they used that exact baseball metaphor to say it as well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The thing is, cable is actually still much cheaper for anyone that actually already has a bundle with cable internet and would want to sub to even just the HBO, Showtime, Starz and sports packages and then you still get all the other channels too. Because I use my own cablecard equipment for internet and cable I end paying around $150 or so a month for cable and internet service and that gives me HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, and TMC. Then I also have access to all my College Basketball and NBA games that I want that I'd have to track down and pay for through other means. I have access to all the ESPN3 services. It would be beyond stupid for me drop cable. My internet alone would be over half that if I dropped the bundle and then I'd need to sub to all those services and and it would actually be more than I'm paying for internet and cable with all the premiums now. And that's not even taking into consideration being able to record shows and having access to other channels like USA, Syfy, History etc.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

Man, I love piracy

You live in the UK right? I'd probably steal other people's better TV too then.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

bull3964 posted:

My problem is that I don't give one iota of gently caress about anything sports related and I resent having to pay for them.

Your problem cannot be solved. No matter what service you get from whoever you're going to pay for a lot of poo poo you don't want. Unless you just buy individual episodes of shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I still absolutely by regular and UHD Blurays for movies. I prefer them over streaming. For TV shows it depends. If I really love the show or it's exceptionally good looking, like Vikings, I will definitely buy the bluray. Especially if it also comes with a digital code.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Has anyone ever watched WGN's Outsiders? It stars David Morse and Joe Anderson which immediately piques my interest. The premise actually sounds kind of cool but I've never heard anyone say a word about it. I'm guessing like when Manhattan was on WGN most people aren't even aware of it existing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I was also going to ask about this. It also has Ryan Hurst, Opie from SOA, and he was the high point of that series so I kind of want to give it a go.

I don't know him from that but I remember really liking him on Taken years ago. And the shortlived TNT series Wanted.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you plan on streaming anything regularly of watchable quality in 2017 and your data limit is only 200gb you better get ready for some serious overage charges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wandle Cax posted:

Streaming video in SD takes roughly 1gb an hour so you'd need to watch almost 7 hours every day for a month to go over that limit

A lot of streaming services don't let you choose. You get the stream your internet is fast enough to stream. Also I imagine you'll be using your internet for other things as well.

• Locked thread