Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Megyn Kelly is joining NBC News. This is so weird.

America is making a hard swerve right. Makes sense that NBC would want to get in on the ground floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dexo posted:

Wow. They completely rewrote their pitch for Powerless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDnO2cvBbnA

So it's a worse Better Off Ted?

I guess a comedic show about insurance agents probably wasn't the best way to go, no matter what they sell insurance for.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

This is DC/Wayne Tech so I assume its different from the Marvel show about insurance agents/clean up crews? That's a weird idea for both companies to want to make shows about.

It's the insurance agents show. The clean up crew is from Marvel and I don't think it was ever officially announced, just rumored.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I love Frequency and The Count of Monte Cristo despite Jim Caviezel's anti-charisma personality. He's not great on his own.

Yeah I looove his Monte Cristo movie, but his performance is super stilted and wooden. Which just happens to (accidentally?) work for his interpretation of the character, who is an awkward innocent only pretending to be a scheming badass. At no point do you believe he's a confident, charming pirate, but you sure believe that he's trying to be. Not sure how much of that is intentional on his part but drat does it end up working.

Not to say I wouldn't be really interested to see what, say, Hugh Jackman would have done with the role.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bou posted:

Hi. It's me. I'm the guy who hates procedurals :sadwave:

And i watched all of PoI. BUT i started with it and immediately fell in love with it somewhere at the end of season 2 (i think) and loved it til the end. Later, i bought S01 and S02 cheap on DVD to see what i have missed and for my taste they could be condensed to maaaybe a half-season max. I feel everyone who wants to abandon ship in Season 1 honestly.

Not sure you know what "immediately" means.

I also hate procedurals, but am intrigued by POI. I'm not incapable of loving the format (X-Files, for example) but I just can't watch dozens of episodes of a show I don't like hoping to one day fall in love with it. Maybe if there were one later episode I could watch that would indicate how good it gets I could invest, but there's so much good TV out there I haven't yet seen that it always falls very low on the priority list.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

They edited the footage of him doing so to make it look like a sniper took him out. It's all kept secret with like 4 people knowing the truth. They do it because they believe Moriarty is back and still alive.

So they want to retcon the one cool thing the show ever did?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Jughead Hat Status: Confirmed

Timothy Olyphant doing comedy is something I'm always there for.

Legit want that hat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

lelandjs posted:

The comic doesn't seem like it would support a series, which I guess is why they went... well, I've only seen the preview, so I can't really comment, but why they did whatever you'd call what they did.

TV shows have been based on a whole lot less than "goofy high school boy has to choose between the girl next door and the rich heiress while navigating the trials and tribulations of high school."

I loved Archie as a kid, and have a few of the 40s-60s collections, which are terrific. It's a bit sad to me that they had to go so dark when the original property was so light and fun for so many years, but :shrug: this is the way of things these days. It's not like Spider-Man and Batman weren't goofy for many years too.

Just seems like a bit of a shame that it couldn't be a fun, feel-good, comedic show. And a period piece, since Riverdale felt like it was still in the 50s up until the recent reboot.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 27, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, y'all weren't kidding, Legion is great. dat production design.

Nothing compared to Riverdale in that department, but when did TV shows get so pretty?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DivisionPost posted:

Oh, sweet Christ, Riverdale. First of all, Shannon Purser's episode aired today (she plays Ethel Muggs), and at the end of the episode, Cheryl Blossom tosses off "#JusticeForEthel" as a line. I thought it was funny. Fight me.

But that's not what drove me here. Preview for next week airs: You know how we were kinda rolling our eyes about Miss Grundy suddenly being a hot cougar because it's the CW (and also because she was loving Archie)? Well, turns out she might have stolen the real Miss Grundy's identity so now that's gonna be a drat thing on top of all the other drat things in this loving show.

I think I'm in love, guys.

:stare: I love this show

E: the "maple" stuff and revenge-shaming didn't really do it for me this week though, felt hokey and cartoony in a way that doesn't quite fit with the rest of the show to me.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 10, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

I tried to watch Scandal just now, but it can't keep up with reality.

I tried to start watching The West Wing last week and couldn't do it. Just felt like an idealistic utopian sci-fi show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I would like to thank you all for turning me on to The Good Place. This is very good television.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also it set new ratings records for FX so I think it'll be okay.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is The Mick not mediocre? I heard it was mediocre, at least the first few episodes when reviewed by several publications.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The comedy episode with Kumail was good.

Wasn't that episode written during the original run?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Timby posted:

I always tend to treat "Closure" as the actual series finale.

The Movie is the series finale, imo. Just swap out the ending for Scully seeing the UFO and finally becoming a full believer. Any good episodes after that are just gravy.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In the future, our solar system has been colonized by man. The three main factions are Earth, Mars, and the "Belters" who are out near the asteroid belt and wildly impoverished and basically forgotten. Someone tries to start a war between the factions, and our heroes are the only ones who saw the conspiracy from the inside and can disprove the official story. Also Thomas Jane plays a detective with a dumb hat who winds up involved in all of it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DoggPickle posted:

And a weird-half-shaved-belter-head, I mean, if you're gonna talk about the hat...

I mean, I live in deep hipster Brooklyn. I did not realize this was notable.

e: Also the biggest difference between BSG and The Expanse is that on BSG there are tons of likeable characters and in The Expanse everyone is made out of cardboard. But the premise and plotting are good enough that it's still quite watchable.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 26, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

I wouldn't say that it has weak character work. I would say that it is slow to develope them compared to a primarily character-driven show.

I might just be alone in this, but I feel like very few of the actors are terribly interesting or bringing much to their roles. Coupled with fairly weak character work imo, it makes the show a little tough to totally dive into - I think I'm two episodes behind at this point. I like Thomas Jane, Dominique Tipper, and Shohreh Aghdashloo enough, but I haven't seen a show with a large number of actors in lead roles lacking charisma this much since Fringe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That episode is so good. Just keep in mind the context of the time when it was made, as satanic panic was just barely out of vogue. Half the viewers of the episode in the moment probably believed that satanists were ritually abusing children in schools and daycares, so making it such a goofy parody of what believers thought the reality looked like is amazing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I was totally fine with that aspect of it, I just really didn't like how they felt the need to overcomplicate the plot with that teacher who was apparently a different kind of satanist who was secretly manipulating all the events of the episode, or things like how the kid revealing she had been abused in satanic rituals was apparently misremembering half of it. It just muddied the waters of what should've been a straightforward goofy satanic teacher's union story.

That teacher wasn't a different kind of satanist. It was literally Satan, taking time out of his busy schedule to gently caress with a small town. That's what makes the entire episode so amazing. And children's faulty testimony is a HUGE aspect of the whole real world events, as 99% of the time the only thing court cases were built on were coerced testimony where the interviewer wouldn't take no for an answer and encouraged kids to use their imaginations. So that aspect felt totally necessary to include, since it was meant to contrast this reality where some teachers actually were Satanists.

The entire thesis of the episode is "Satanic Panic is so dumb that even Satan can't help but laugh at it."

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 6, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't get how Dunham can be so aware about how Hannah comes off in the show but so unaware about her real life actions

I mean, I'm not so sure she is aware about how Hannah comes off. I stopped watching the show when I saw an after-episode interview with Dunham where she lauded Hannah's terrible, childish actions during the episode as good and brave and I realized the whole thing wasn't satire. This was in season 3, I believe.

I really couldn't give less of a poo poo about Schumer's newest special not being good, though. Most of the hate directed toward it I've seen seems to be very mean-spirited ad hominem attacks that have little or nothing to do with the content of the special itself. Comics release bad specials all the time. Let this one be poorly reviewed and hopefully she'll write better material for the next one. Don't bully her into wanting to quit the business or pretending she was never good. Jesus.

e: not directed toward anyone here on Schumer, though. Mostly seeing that poo poo on Facebook and Reddit.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 19, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My problem with the Netflix star system is that it's right in the middle of the spectrum of usefulness: not as simple as a yes/no and not granular enough to mean anything on the other end. I prefer the thumbs up/thumbs down to stars, or a Metacritic/The AV Club-style letter grade system, but ultimately the problem lies in what happens after these user ratings.

Netflix has all these specific categories that they sort all their movies into, but then don't do anything particularly useful with them. The user has no control in navigating them, they're only served up when the algorithm wants to. Why not expose all of those categories but let the algorithm determine how to sort their order, then give the user control to dive deeper?

"Want a slow-burn sci-fi horror? First, select Sci-Fi from the dropdown. Now, here is every sci-fi film and TV show we have sorted by category, and under each category sorted by how relevant it is and how much we think you'd like it based on your previous watching habits and thumbs up/down rating. You can browse to the 'slow-burn sci-fi horror category, or maybe the sci-fi erotic thriller category catches your eye along the way and you change your mind. Either way, great! We've given you all the options"

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 19, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

Most of the criticism of Jessica Jones are the gooniest tactical realism bullshit, completely devoid of any empathy or interest in the emotional states of the characters. More concisely: most criticism seemed to be that it was character-driven, rather than plot-driven, narrative.

I loved Jessica Jones, but it's definitely not devoid of problems. It absolutely is character-driven which is its main strength outside of its biting and provocative themes, but unfortunately the only characters worth a drat on the show are Jessica, Kilgrave, and Cage. When your main B-story is about a dorky friend who really likes kickboxing falling for a doughy lame Captain America-knockoff, it kinda weakens your show whenever they're the focus and feels like wheel-spinning. But every time it was focused on Jones and Kilgrave and the series was speaking to abuse and victimhood, it was terrific.

Then Luke Cage went ahead and sucked all the cool out of Cage and made him some grumpy conservative square? He immediately went from charming, smooth badass to your-friend's-corny-dad when he moved shows. It was bizarre. I hope he's way more like the JJ version in Defenders than in his own show.

e: Actually, the redhead neighbor on JJ was great too. But her story wasn't particularly well-executed. Junkie neighbor was boring but never felt like it was wasting your time.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 20, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

TV movies can be good. I like a bunch of the young Indiana Jones adventures that were edited together on the DVD release.

Those definitely don't count as movies. They aired as completely separate episodes and were only referred to as movies in the marketing materials for the DVDs. It undercuts that show's many achievements to deny its status as a TV show that was well ahead of its time.

However, the DVD cuts are far superior to the TV cuts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Been watching that lately myself. Sean Patrick Flanery isn't bad. I didn't even think the kid who played 10-year old Indy was terrible. It's a shame that the movies don't get the bookends with George Hall as nonagenarian Indy.

You can watch them on YouTube. It's like they're out of a completely different, goofier kids show.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not hard to see why it didn't last, though, because they all look incredibly cinematic for early 1990s TV. There's a lot of 2017 shows that don't even look as good.

Much like his next big TV project The Clone Wars, Lucas was paying out of pocket to make the show look as good as he could. Young Indy never really made money because it was just so drat expensive to make, which shows. I doubt The Clone Wars will be rivaled in TV animation for another 20 years either.

I really, really wish that they'd been able to finish season 3 properly, or maybe even get a season 4, because they were planning on shifting the show a little more into where the movies were. You can see that in the last few episodes, specifically Treasure of the Peacock's Eye and Masks of Evil, which brought in treasure hunting and supernatural foes respectively. I would've killed to see a young Belloq on screen at the beginning of their friendship/rivalry.

The fact that Young Indy's production was as globetrotting as it was is incredible, though. That sort of global production for a TV show wouldn't be matched until Game of Thrones more than 20 years later.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember how for a good few years after Revenge of the Sith came out there'd be regular updates on starwars.com (dutifully reported by Wookieepedia) about the Star Wars live-action TV series that was definitely going to happen; it was going to bridge the gap between the prequels and the originals, it was going to include young Boba Fett in its ensemble cast, it was going to be produced by Rick McCallum, it would have at least 100 episodes.

And it probably would have been the most expensive TV series ever made.

100 scripts were in development, a large number of them fully written and multiple drafts in, Disney has acknowledged that they exist but are not actively developing them, as the series would be too expensive. Even Lucas-era Lucasfilm was waiting a few more years for technology to get cheap enough for them to make the show.

Kennedy has come out and suggested that the stories still have a future. There have been rumors that the new storygroup is planning on cannibalizing them or using them as launching points for spinoff stories - specifically that the Boba Fett movie. I think it's great that so much Lucas-developed material is able to be drawn upon for a new canon, means that some future material will be less derivative than it would be otherwise.

Young Indy also had a number of scripts written that didn't go into production. I hope some day these scripts leak, or have some sort of a future. I'd love a Young Indy animated show that picks up where the actual show left off. It would even start at the perfect place: Indy going to college and discovering his love for archeology.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 22, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

A 2 hour Breaking Bad would probably cater to all the "Walter White is not a bad guy" people who just wanted to see him be some action hero with science. Cut out all that pesky character and ethic stuff.

You can find out yourself! A fan released a 2 hour movie version of BB last week. I didn't see it, but the link was all over Reddit. At least the nightmare people there had enough sense to trash it in the comments before it was taken down from Vimeo. Sure it's available elsewhere, though.

But on this note, watched a chronological cut of Westworld not too long ago. They fast-forwarded through all the story that didn't directly tie into Dolores's journey into consciousness. It was fantastic. Obviously not as a replacement of the show or anything a first time viewer should watch, but a great experiment, and a great companion piece for anyone wanting to gain a slightly deeper understanding of what exactly happened when. I had a good understanding of the timeline going in, but it added a whole other level seeing it from Dolores's point of view.

But hey, I'm the guy who has watched two different chronological cuts of LOST (one that's a cut of events literally chronologically, one as a cut of the chronology from the characters's subjective POVs, intercutting between narratives happening at the same subjective but different objective times) and loved them, so what do I know?

As an experiment in editing, storytelling, and character these sorts of things are great, supplementary watching when done well. As an attempt at a replacement of the original they're garbage.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 22, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

What made it so good? I never watched it, but I thought it looked kinda goofy in the couple of short Youtube clips I saw over the years.

The animation quality is cinematic, straight-up. Hence why they released the first (terrible) few episodes as a feature film. Each episode looks better than your average Dreamworks flick, especially stylistically. The modeling, textures, rigging/animation, number of unique environments, number of unique characters, lighting/particle/smoke/etc. effects, music, voice acting, art direction, etc. are easily unrivaled in the television animation arena. Watch a Clone Wars clip and a Rebels clip back to back and you'll see a massive budget and general quality difference. Everyone in Rebels moves like a stiff robot, everyone in Clone Wars moves like an organic creature.The entire first season of Rebels took place on one planet so it could keep reusing the same characters and locations over and over again because making new assets is expensive. You'll see the same Imperial officer in the background of any shot involving the Empire throughout the series. Often multiples of that model. Each 1-3 episode Rebels arc has all new characters, environments, ships, effects, etc.

Its writing also sets it apart. Not only is it very well written, but it specifically doesn't condescend to kids and cares very deeply about storytelling. It's basically an anthology format show, so some episodes are duds. It's got a weird sense of humor and because of the anthology format the tone is all over the place episode-to-episode. But overall the show is technically undeniably impressive and ahead of it's time.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 23, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep, that's the one.

Escobarbarian posted:

feedmyleg are you watching the new Samurai Jack? easily the best-looking western animated TV I've ever seen mmmmmfffffffffff

Lurdiak posted:

I'm waiting until the new season of Samurai Jack is over so I can marathon it, and it will be great, but I dunno if it can possibly top my favorite episode of the original run, The Tale of X9.

Same. I also might catch up on the old show before doing so, as I watched it when I was younger but relatively sporadically, and so I probably missed the plot and character subtleties. But it's always been an incredible show.

I loved how Genndy made his 2D version of Clone Wars keep that same minimal-dialogue, visual storytelling feel. I hate that he's been wasting his massive talent making Hotel Transylvania films.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I'm guessing that was about paying the bills after his robot show about a robot that it's impossible to make good toys out of somehow failed to work out.

But two sequels? Ah well. At least it's keeping kids interested in classic monsters.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He directed the second, and is writing and directing the third. But maybe it's directing in a hands-off Wes Anderson Fantastic Mr. Fox kinda way? I think it's just a solid paying gig since nobody's exactly buying up 2D animated pitches these days.

I was really excited when he was consulting on Iron Man II and working on Power of the Dark Crystal. Seems like he'd be great for big-budget action films which are so heavily animated in their big set pieces.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 23, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Forgot I had a digital antennae for my TV. Turned it on for the first time in ages since I got nostalgic for nighttime TV when I was a kid, and now I'm watching Carson on some random local channel. This is great, it's been ages since I've seen it. What a chill-rear end show compared to today's loud, frantically-paced late night shows.

e: I am shocked at how novel commercials are to me in 2017 as a person who hasn't watched cable in almost a decade. They're hilarious.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 26, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

I watched almost 3 seasons of weeds, because a roommate told me that it got good. It was just unfunny garbage the whole time. Not a single character was likeable and the protagonist was just the worst.

Got good? That's a very strange perspective. The general consensus for those who like it is that Season 1 and 2 were great, and in season 3 it kinda hit a wall by the end. Then it was all garbage after.

I loved the first two seasons, but there's a very, very good chance that it's because I had a massive crush on Mary-Louise Parker. But even that couldn't keep me on board after 3. It was never some high-mark of television, but it was a bunch of fun. It was a perfect companion piece to Californication, which I felt had very similar strengths and flaws at the time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
History's greatest missed opportunity is that we never got a Superman '66 companion TV show to Batman '66. Imagine Superman's pal Jimmy Olson and a spunky Lois Lane as high camp.

I'm bummed out just thinking about it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bought a digital antenna a few years back, didn't use it because ABC was the only network it picked up outside of small regional TV stations. Kinda forgot about it until I moved my TV recently. So I popped it on last weekend, and holy poo poo. It was like time traveling.

Saturday night regional TV is the greatest gift. A horror host was showing the Hammer werewolf movie with dumb spooky comedy bits in between, Carson was interviewing a stunt man, then Robert Mitchum came on to shill The Big Sleep. Twilight Zone and Bewitched and Batman '66 were on, as were old cowboy TV shows on a channel called "Grit" and a bunch of 60s sitcoms on "Laff". Even the commercials were novel, all regional and aimed at the elderly.

Pretty sure I'm staying in and watching every Saturday night from here on out. I'm just hoping it turns to infomercials after 3.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:lol::lol::lol:

Incredible.

Can we burn Deviantart to the ground, finally? This is what happens when those people grow up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The ending of Dinosaurs is basically a better version of the ending of Battlestar Galactica. And I like the ending to Battlestar Galactica. It's just a big "They hosed up society, now they're handing Earth over to the next generation: you the audience. Don't gently caress it up again." It's great, and way less heavy-handed than BSG's.

Rewatching Dinosaurs, it's amazing how angry it is. It's bitter, deeply cynical, and points the finger directly at its viewership as the problem. There's no kid gloves here where the creators are putting the audience in their boat and pointing outward - everyone is implicated. Each episode contains a clear lesson for how we as a society can avoid this particular foible, but generally ends with "but that's not going to realistically happen because we're all awful."

It's goddamn refreshing. There's nothing this biting, sharp, or angry on TV today.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

There is one interesting moment: in the scene where Deadshot is told to demonstrate his proficiency as a marksman, you ever-so-briefly see the charm that made Will Smith the biggest drat movie star in the world, and you wonder what the hell happened to the dude and his career over the last decade.

Much like Arnold he was perfect for his particular decade, but refused to evolve. The two actually have a lot of similarities to how they approached their films as brand and had a team of people who would rewrite scripts to fit that brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

At this point, if that actually makes it to air I'll be impressed.

Well, only the first episode is going to "air"...

• Locked thread