Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

George Lucas claimed they had over 100 scripts ready to go for a live action series. I hope it has nothing to do with that.

Why? For the most part George Lucas is a poor writer and director, but he's a wonderful producer. Getting talented people to make interesting and unique things is how he built the foundations of modern entertainment media. Young Indiana Jones and (most of) Clone Wars shows that he's highly capable of producing great, groundbreaking television.

I'd rather have an interesting TV show that has some rough, weird edges than the sort of milquetoast retread stuff that Disney is putting out. Just compare the uneven-but-great Clone Wars to the truly awful Rebels to see the difference of his guiding hand. Don't write off the man's entire career just because you feel betrayed by a few bad but boundary pushing movies at the end of it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Arist posted:

I don't watch Rebels but I've never heard anyone say it was "awful," what?

It's premise is a poor ANH retread of the gang on the Falcon, all the characters are unlikeable and bland, all the characters make constant illogical choices for plot purposes, its writing is dumbed down and aimed at children. Also they incorporate tons of old EU-style nonsense like

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
There aren't even any creatives on board. The statement just congratulates all of the great ideas the producers have had. Jesus.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder how much Amazon is banking on its ability to get the James Bond rights. I understand they're terribly keen on them.

Sounds like Annapurna is closing in on 'em.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wait, what? If you change that then what's the drat point of Runaways?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lucille wouldn't be caught dead drinking a cocktail with Sprite in it. And neither would I. What kind of loving drink is that? Use some real citrus and simple syrup, Jesus. Did Sprite sponsor the thing, or do they just have a particularly tasteless bartender?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

Those are way too fancy for regular people drinks. No one drinks like that. Those are novelty themed drinks.

I know tons of people who drink like that all the time :confused:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sell me on it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep!

GreenNight posted:

Premiering December 15
Jean Claude Van Johnson season 1

I'm not expecting great things. I really liked the pilot, but it was a weak setup for a series. It would have been much stronger as an episodic show than just having JCVJ trying to get his ex back for a whole season.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Amazon's version sounded more interesting anyway.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dancer posted:

Are you referring to Man in the High Castle, or are you suggesting some upcoming series that I'm not aware of yet?

http://www.vulture.com/2017/08/amazon-developing-black-america-an-alternate-history-series.html

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can confirm, looks great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just can't lose that Fargo weight.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm currently exercising a ton of restraint and waiting until Riverdale Season 2 is over to watch it all. Fans of season 1: what are your thoughts so far on how it compares to the first season?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's not just celebrities. A large portion of the men you know are also secretly awful.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 14, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

The Force Awakens got 93%...

I think reviewers are a bit measured this time though.

Reading between the lines it sounds like it's about the same as TFA and RO, just a bit higher quality. If you didn't like the likeable-characters-over-interesting-themes nature of those movies, you'll probably only like this one marginally more.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

drat, nothing I hate more in movies than characters I like.

:shrug: I'll take an interesting theme over a charming smile any day. Ideally I'd have both but I just can't watch movies that have nothing to say anymore.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also: La-Z-Boys and Girls Club of America

Yeah that's the one.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is there any point to watching Twin Peaks: The Return if I didn't watch the second half of season 2, but read a good deal about it? What if I also haven't seen Fire Walk with Me? And what if I can't remember much of season 1?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can't say I see what the fuss is about for Brockmire after watching a few episodes. Azaria is quite fun and watchable in his role, but the quality of the writing fluctuates wildly, with many setups for jokes ending with characters just staring at each other, and the non-titular characters not really given all that much to do.

Also, I can't help but shake the feeling that it has a hint of ultra-edgy "gently caress the PC police!" lurking just beneath the surface. I mean, it's a show based around the premise that a woman would have the audacity the audacity! to want to explore her sexuality, since it focuses far more on the sexual acts involved than on the fact that she cheated. Heck, pegging got renamed after her, not cheating. From the hints the first couple of episodes have I assume they're going to do something with her character to combat that at some point, but I can only take her being called a whore so many times without other characters commenting on it. But maybe I just need to give it a couple more eps to see its grand plan? I guess I just thought we were done with "my cheating whore wife!" as a legitimate character motivation by 2017.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

So do you just watch the monologue then because the interviews are like 90% of the show

Well you've got to skip the monologue, too, that's just tired Twitter jokes and rejected first drafts of the writers standup routines. Same goes with the sketches, they're generally written to hastily and reactionary to be any good. The opening credits sequences are usually pretty well animated, though, and some have catchy music. So just watch those then turn them off.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That Harmon video just made me feel like he's Kevin Smith For People Who Consider Themselves Smart.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, he definitely knows. The thing about Harmon is that he has a massive amount of self-awareness, he just doesn't know what to do with it and just doubles down on his egotistical eccentricities rather than learning anything and growing as a person.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I did 5 seasons and felt the same. Then I heard the last season went all sci-fi so I watched that.

I'd say about 75% of the time I stop a show a couple seasons in once I get enough. It can still be great, or even get better than what I watched. But for certain shows I just get my fill and am okay with moving on.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

That's kind of the rub. It's fine to watch a few seasons of a sitcom and decide you've seen all the jokes. You're probably 90% right. If you keep watching a show like P&R or The Office it's because you care about the characters and want to see how their stories resolve.

True. But despite dropping out of both P&R and The Office, I did care about the characters, and stuck around to see how their stories resolved. The first time, the second time, the third time...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It feels like The Office just ended :confused:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

You know, with network TV ratings being in the toilet and social media integration being a big deal I'm surprised nobody has tried to reboot Cadid Camera. It's like the most timeless and inoffensive show premise possible with a budget of nothing, hire me television.

I don't know, man. Faking all those pranks probably costs quite a bit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IRQ posted:

I thought this was the general consensus? Seinfeld is kind of painful to watch now, everything about it feels so dated and stale. I'm not saying Friends was a better show, just that it remains the same trashy popcorn it always was.

Uh, no.

Seinfeld is generally considered one of the greatest all-time sitcoms and has held up better than anything of its era by a mile. A handful of poorly handled social issues, but it's still terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

esperterra posted:

Whenever I see someone talk about Zoo, I think they mean that beastiality movie from like '09 or w/e.

:same:

Then I think of Zootopia.

• Locked thread