Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Harry and friends do a fair bit of schoolwork but usually only when it's relevant to the plot somehow.

This year is the 20th anniversary of the first Harry Potter book. I've been planning on reading them again at some point this year (I only read them as they were coming out, so it's a full 20 years since I read the Philosopher's Stone) although I reckon they probably won't hold up.

I bet they will. I remember them being some genuinely fun writing. The whole Harry Potter phenomenon of movies and toys and spinoffs and jelly bean tie-ins and poo poo makes it easy to forget the qualities of the original product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I never got around to watching s4 of Continuum, so I'm rewatching the last ep of s3 again to lead into it. God I forgot how bad the fight choreography is in this show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

started watching SHUT EYE on Hulu and wow. it's a fun and good show that also has extremely hosed up death scenes so uh watch out for that i guess. okay thanks

Yeah, I watched it. It's pretty decent. If you haven't, also check out Chance. It's real good. Better than Shut Eye. Shut Eye is fun though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So due to chat in the annual pole thread, I've started Person of Interest.

It has some promise, but this whole "constantly shooting people in the leg because killing is bad" thing really rubs me the wrong way. Jesus shoots like 10 people in the thigh in the fist episode.

Including one scene where he walks into a room with 6 armed people who are pointing guns at him and shoots them all in the legs real quick before any of them get a shot off. It's one of the dumbest tv action scenes I've ever seen. It would fit much better in a comedy rather than a story about a grieving former black ops killer trying to make it in a post-9/11 world.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's really annoying. I can probably get used to it, though. Lord knows I've watched a bunch of shows where blunt force trauma to the head is used for the same effect. That's an industry thing, after all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean I mostly dislike it as a narrative tool. The idea that non-lethal violence is equally as effective as lethal violence, and that you can just choose not to kill people is loving dumb. The implication that violence is a perfectly valid problem solving tool for good guys, but bad guys choose to kill people during its application is just garbage. It's wanting to have your cake and eat it too: glorifying "action" by implying that you can shoot a room full of people, but that killing them is optional. None of them will sustain fatal wounds without the intent to inflict them.

This sort of thing is passable in lighthearted comedies. In any serious drama, it feels stupidly out of place.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rocksicles posted:

Batman brutally assaults everyone.

Yeah, it's my least favorite aspect of Batman. The idea that he can win with violence but is above killing. I prefer the outsmarting and detective aspects of batman much more than guy who drops people off buildings and punches them in the head with gauntlets but lives in a world where these things are always non-fatal.

Super heroes like Batman and Daredevil live in worlds where you can solve all your problems with violence but killing is always an extra, elective choice. Where everyone has the power to apply enough violence to solve a problem, but if they are bad they will choose to kill in addition to solving the problem. This is so far removed from how violence works that it comes off as a hugely juvenile fantasy about "what if I was super violent all the time but also had the moral high ground in its application ".

Edit: Person of Interest doesn't seem to really fall into this as badly as the first episode seemed like it would, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

That Westworld sum seems way too low.

Well "main cast" is kind of vague. I've no doubt Anthony Hopkins got more than that. Ed Harris and Thandie Newton probably did as well. Probably James Marsden too. But for everyone else? That number doesn't really seem low.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I hope Thandie Newton got paid some extra for having to do half her scenes nearly fully nude.

She's easily the fourth biggest name in the show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can tell that it's a slow start, but the first 3 episodes of Person of Interest have been aggressively boring. Without trying to sound like a snobby dick, when does it get good? I'm used to shows that have bad starts before getting good, so I'm still keeping an open mind, but I kind of want to know how much more of this I'm in for...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

You watch a lot of poo poo Snak, you can deal with it for a while.

That's true, but it's part of why these plots feel like the most generic poo poo. I've seen them in no less than 3 other shows.

Also I'm watching this sober, which has not been the case for a lot of the really bad poo poo I have watched.

But I will keep watching.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If only my neurosis allowed me to skip parts of shows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
On ep7 of Person of Interest now. Ep 6 was the first decent ep.

I understand accepting a premise for the sake of storytelling, but Finch is the dumbest motherfucker to ever design a system to find patterns in society. Like, either the system searches for terrorists by identifying potential victims, or when he backdoored in to get his irrelevant list, he decided that victims were more important than perps and that he should get the victim list. Both of these show no understanding of crime prevention at all. The system is supposed to detect intent, so it must know the perps, Finch just decided it would be better to start from the victims and work backwards. There would be no episode plots otherwise.

This loving Elias subplot is kicking off right now, but it feels really stupid that, in show about a machine that finds and connects pieces of human behavior into a cohesive pattern, humans seem to be the only ones putting together these pieces.

Or, as I said, the machine is putting together these pieces, but Finch is too stupid to look at them because he's busy looking for victims rather than hunting criminals.

Like I said, I know I just have to accept that this is the premise, but it just feels so stupid to go about things this way. I guess It's kind of pointless to worry about this until more about the machine is revealed in the show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Jim Caviezel is lining up a sniper shot...
"Range it"
"I don't know, five hundred yards?"
"Six"

And then it shows the car like 40 yards away, and he takes the shot and the car he shot at comes to a stop literally right next to him.

Fuckin lol.

Edit: ^ but why is it saying victims are worth looking into, rather than perps? That's literally backwards.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

That scene rules tho.

Also the literal premise of the show is they don't know if the people they are given are victims or perps, so I dunno where this victim only assumption is coming from.

That's true, I guess. It does always turn out to be the opposite of the one they initially assume.

Also, that scene is really lame.

This show is like what if Blindspot was played completely straight and trying to be super serious and realistic all the time. And had no humor. It's not exciting, or badass, or interesting. It's the same plots that every procedural uses, but with no character chemistry, no humor, and the most melodramatic bullshit that we are supposed to care about.

Like, it's not lovely. It's okay. But it's definitly not clicking for me.

The police woman, Taraji P. Henson's character, is easily the most interesting character, but she does basically nothing. She seems to exist in each episode simply to show up too late to find out what happened at the end of every episode.

Edit:

whowhatwhere posted:

The first episode was all about the fact that the Machine gives the number of the most relevant party instead of the victim.

Yeah, you're right, but it would always be more useful to give the perps. Every single time. Every time they get a victim they just spend the whole episode working backwards to information the machine already knew. Finch specifically says that the machine determines lethal intent. There's no way it could do that without an identity or identities associated with that intent.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 6, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaggitz posted:

watch the next episode.

Okay. I was literally going to quit right now. I will watch the next episode.

Edit: oh hey, the tidbit where she said she was in Iraq and Afghanistan like 5 episodes ago.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Person of Interest, s1e11 would have made a pretty strong first episode.

It's starting to get better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize that the chat thread could be derailed. I'll just shut up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've been pretty critical so far, but I do feel like PoI has hit its stride about 10 episodes in.

The more Finch gets to do, the better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is there an episode of Grimm where it turns out that squid people work at an ink factory? I'm just going to assume there is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kraps posted:

Why do the travelers in Travelers have such bad intel on their hosts? "hmm no one will notice if a retarded girl is suddenly normal" I'm on ep 2

That specific thing is actually explained.

In general, they basically googled people who lived a hundreds of years ago.

What I don't understand is why they give so little of a poo poo about maintaining cover. There are a lot of things that just plain don't make any sense at all and feel like they were written because someone thought a specific scene was cool and wanted to set it up.

One thing they never address is how it would be possible to fake being an FBI agent for even a few days with no knowledge whatsoever about it. He'd get flagged almost immediately as acting suspicious. Missing meetings, no loving clue what cases he was working on, not filling out paperwork correctly. Right away they would think he was compromised.

The writers never address this. They never show him figuring out how fake it or learning how to be an agent. They show him loving up a bunch, like not knowing how to log in to his computer, but they never do an episode about it or anything. It's just kind of "he's the FBI guy" with no explanation of how he's pulling it off. There's literally more drama about the brain damaged woman maintaining her cover than how difficult it would be for the FBI guy. The season ends strong, but there are just so many missed opportunities in the first half.

I never thought I would complain that a show didn't have enough relationship drama. Most shows shoehorn relationship drama into a premise that doesn't need it. This is a show where people in relationships die and are replaced by dopplegangers, and the conflict that this creates makes up almost 1.5 episodes out of the entire season. It should be central platform for the writers to show us what the characters are like.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 8, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I feel this is also addressed, but not as directly. They all expect to pretty much disappear from existence as soon as their plan is complete, which is relatively soon after they arrive.

Yeah, like many things in the show, its not unaddressed, it's just a wasted opportunity. So much of the show is taken up by really boring, rote episodic plots, when there is a lot of material inherent in the premise that would have given early episodes much more energy and been much more interesting. Like I don't think the main direction of the show needs any changes, I just think a lot of "filler" seems kind of aimless, when there are much better things that could be done in that time.

Trevor is the beat developed character and the other characters would have benefitted a lot from a more similar treatment.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

My favourite stupid thing about Travelers is the way they have the police officer character stumble onto Marcie and even try to investigate her as having something to do with his wife, simply by asking around about "personality changes". That was really pushing it, honestly.

It doesn't even go anywhere! It just happens, and is then forgotten about.

The actually link was that he saw a tiny woman suddenly kicking the poo poo out of a bunch of grown men for the second time in 2 days. I actually liked that as a connection, because it's a bizarre coincidence. I actually thought his character was really well written and liked the way they worked him into the plot.

But yeah, it also amounted to nothing. A whole lot of things that are set are set up are totally wasted. It's lame.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just started S2 of Person of Interest. It's officially good now.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Out of curiosity, what did the turnaround for you?

The turnaround started about episode 11. A big problem for me with the first 9-10 episodes was that the episode plots were really generic, bog-standard procedural poo poo that I found it impossible to care about. There wasn't the cast chemistry to carry the show despite the generic and boring plots.

But when John got put in the wheelchair, Finch got a lot more to do and it forced them to expand their dynamic. At the same time, I felt like this is where the writers hit their stride in terms of the plots being more engaging. So I feel like episodes 10-23 make a pretty solid first season.

I would not have given this show a chance if I wasn't doing nothing on winter break and able to just power through it. It's not amazing, but where it's at now, after the first episode of season 2, I think it's a good procedural.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sherlock has about one good episode per season. Which is not worth watching the two other loving terrible ones for.

I remember when he faked his death the first time. In the completely obvious and predictable way that was telegraphed AND foreshadowed. Which is fine. But then after the season break, they had to spend 15 minutes of the next episode "revealing" how it was done because it was somehow a big deal.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 9, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sherlock is just generally too concerned with making up examples to jerk off over how cool and smart Sherlock is to actually write good anything. A lot of times they try to make the mystery simple enough for viewers to solve, so that they will feel smart, while at the same time trying to make sherlock look smart for solving it.

The first episode is hilarious this way.

edit: In the first episode they keep having conversations like "How could no one have noticed the killer?" *Camera conspiculously focuses on a cab in the backround* "What sort of person is always around and no body notices?" *Cab drives by in front of the camera* And this goes on for like an hour before "OH MY GOD IT'S SO OBVIOUS!!! THE KILLER IS A CAB DRIVER!!!" No loving poo poo. And we're supposed to think he's a genius detective for only just now considering that people who had contact with the victims should be considered suspects. loving genius.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 9, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's also that, when Sherlock came out, it was a big, "universally loved" must-see. It was huge. So it's kind of a state of backlash where, because the pop-culture assumption is that it is good, dislike must be well-qualified.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It doesn't matter. Every single person was like "omg have you seen Sherlock!!?!"

And Cumberbatch got millions of fangirls overnight.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

That's because you hang out in especially nerdy places probably.

I'm a college student in a college town, so yes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Good call on Burn Notice.

Life is pretty decent, but occasionally dark. It's got some of the most implausible/blatantly unrealistic crime scenes in any procedural. But it has Damien Lewis, Sarah Shahi, and in the third and final season, Donal Logue.

Edit: I didn't keep up with it, but White Collar should fit the bill.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Life was one of the best shows of the last decade. I'm still pissy about that.

It was kind if hit or miss. I really liked the characters, and the overall arcs were really solid, as well as some of the character bits involved in the procedural cases. But it also had some just loving ridiculous bullshit in terms of trying to outdo CSI with wacky "what the hell happened here" crime scenes. I feel like that kind of poo poo really undermined the show.

Its definitely worth a watch. It's 3 seasons, less than 60 episodes total. Great cast.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm dumb. I misremembered because season 2 is twice as long as season one I was thinking of it as two seasons.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Ew.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
If he doesn't punch through an entire helicopter by the end, I'm gonna be disappointed.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Amazon.com says that Taboo is a documentary.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

They might be mixing it up with the Nat Geo show.

Ah, then it's the reviewers who are confused. It says it's a nat geo documentary about vodou and witchcraft but all the reviews talk about Tom Hardy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've started Sneaky Pete, and it's pretty good so far.

I'm probably gonna take a break to check out Series of Unfortunate Events, though, since I've heard nothing but good things.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Fallorn posted:

I just started watching Falling Water and after 3 episodes I still want to continue watching. I love the fact that one of the characters is the pretty much the concept of Cayce Pollard from the Blue Ant Trilogy for seeing patterns or items and knowing they can and will be popular.

I think Falling Water is pretty great.

I don't know the one rich guy's name, but in my brain he's just Notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kraps posted:

ahhhhhh that Travelers cliffhanger noooooo

Seriously, right as it was getting good...

• Locked thread