Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I got the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Misfits...

The first time I watched it, there only were 3 seasons. They were all pretty good. I stubbornly insisted on watching the remaining 2 seasons this rewatch. I have 2 episodes left, but I feel like I can say that it's best to stop after season 3.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I quit at the end of 3 as I heard nothing good about the rest.

Yeah, some of the new characters are okay, but none of the plots are. And its orobably a budget thing, but it's basically not a show about powers any more. Characters almost never use their powers. It's just bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Rudy is one of the best characters, but there are basically no good episodes in seasons 4 and 5. They do have the second-best probation worker though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Once you make it through the first half season of Longmire it starts getting good. Then all the rest of the seasons are of increasing quality.

Edit: And not that the beginning is terrible, it's just mediocre-procedural-y.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Sell me on Shut Eye.

Michael Weston is a psychic, who, because psychic's aren't real, is a profession scammer. He used to be a professional magic trick designer for stage magicians. He is involved in some light organized crime with a Romani(Roma?) crime family. I don't know if these exist or how racist the show is against gypsies. Early spoilers: A concussion causes the main character to start having real psychic visions. Which are actually handled really well, I think.

I binged it right after I binged Chance. it's not as good as Chance, but it's solid. Some good characters. Some humor, but not a lot. Good cast. Some brutal violence. A lot of kind of sad themes, since, as psychics, they prey on people's emotional weaknesses for profit.

If you're going to watch one new Hulu original 10 episode series, watch Chance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm saving the good place for when I need to watch something fun. It's really good and I don't want it to be over yet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, like I really enjoyed Shut Eye, but I feel like the portrayal of Roma in it is kind of problematic. Like, yeah, they address it in the show. But like, at the end of the day, you still have have a story about greedy thieving conniving Gypsie fortune tellers. And it's romanticized. Like, again, it's romanticized by the characters in the show, but ultimately, still by the show itself.

But like, maybe there are Gypsy crime families who control the fortune telling business with an iron fist. I don't know. If just... seems like someone went "hey, what if instead of an Italian Crime family who owns pizza places and Italian restaurants, we have a gypsy crime family that runs fortune tellers!" Like they are just swapping out the stereotypes, but ignoring the fact that the Cosa Nostra was a real thing and Roma are pretty badly persecuted both historically and today. Like stereotyping Italians as mobsters isn't really great either, but it's got a well-known historical basis.

Like I said, maybe Roma crime syndicates are a thing too.

fake edit: I did some googling, and apparently it's all real. And by "all real" I mean this article from 2001 on the obviously unbiased policemag.com, Gypsies are exactly as portrayed in the show.

But apparently American Gypsy Crime Families abscond with over $15 Billion every year. So whatever.

But for real, reading this article feels like I found the basis for the entire show. Like some guy read this article and said "I'm turning this into a show".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Good Place is the best show on television.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

So I just went through The Good Place, Goliath, and Sneaky Pete. They were all really good.

What's next?

Do you have Hulu? If you do, watch Chance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Ahaha, you're assuming a guy named Blackadder hasn't already seen a show with Hugh Laurie?!

Well in this case you're right. I haven't seen Chance yet so thanks for the recommendation. One question though, is it deeper than "House but with Psychology"?

It is actually not similar to House at all except that it star Hugh Laurie as a doctor who's last name is the title! Which really made me roll my eyes at first. But Chance is not a procedural, or even particularly episodic. It is a serialized, modern-noir, slow-burn thriller.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You can buy s2 of 12 monkeys on Amazon prime. Totally worth it, in my opinion.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, I'm three episodes in and loving it for exactly these reasons, this is exactly my kind of show. Thanks for the rec.

Sure thing. It's so good. More people need to give it a chance...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Jean-Clause Van Johnson was also picked up for series.

Fuckin awesome.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

He lost his mind and got permabanned, I forget what for.

He was permabanned for this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622001&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post427814351
But he was also banned again 4 months later for this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642132&pagenumber=66&perpage=40#post433057196

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Ah but this is the age of peak TV, where everything must be a dark grimfest.

Also I feel like, given the current political climate, a show that harkens back to the good ol' days of the 50s where women and foreigners knew their place might be slightly too on the nose.

Isn't Archie reasonably progressive?

I wouldn't know, though. I just got that impression somewhere.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And Terminator: Genisys is better than Terminator 3.

Where can I watch Dark Archie? Is it on Hulu?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

CW App

Also tonight's Sleepy Hollow is the John Noble episode.

Ah, so not on ps4 then. Shame.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think that it takes a minute to, not exactly find its footing, but establish what its doing.

In other news, I'm rewatching 12 Monkeys, and season 1 is not good. I must have been drunk when I watched this the first time. Very disappointing.

Edit: the pathology and methods will only get more insane. I made a post a long time ago that hannibal takes place in an alternate universe where serial killers are an epidemic, and psychology is literally magic.

Snak fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 30, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Pan Dulce posted:

I want to watch the Americans, given the glowing reviews everyone in SA seems to have for it. What would you compare it to, though?

That's a tough one.

It's kind of like Mad Men, in terms of being highly character driven and immersing the story in a particular time period. But it's also something else, and it's hard to think of something off the top of my head. It's really good, watch it.

Speaking of Mad Men, I posted a few months ago about how it wasn't really grabbing me. Well I'm on the final season now, and it's grown on me quite a bit. I think that season 3, 4 and 5 were the best. although I've been binging it so hard a lot of it has blurred together. It definitely feels on a decline, a lot of what's going on with the characters is old hat. This show loves it's resets. But it's come a long way. The best way i can describe it is "immersion" drama. Like the first season and a half was just boring as poo poo. But by the end of season 2, I felt like I'd had enough exposure to the characters to start understanding them as people. This process of just spending time with the characters worked really well.

So far, the funny episodes have been some of my favorites.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

4/5 are my favorite seasons too. They're pretty much good as TV gets imo

Yeah, definitely the high point. But I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out during the final season. Sterling's evolution is the most surprising. A lot of things in this show are somewhat expected. Peggy's one of my favorite characters, but her arc is exactly what I assumed it would be from the beginning of the show.

But seriously, the comedy angle is my favorite poo poo. Everyone always being a dick to Harry Crane. The episode where the entire office gets jacked up on amphetamines. Kinsey showing up after being gone for 2 season just to deliver that infamous script.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

less laughter posted:

Plus, Couch Chat favorite Nathan from Misfits is on it now!

Is he as funny as he was on Misfits?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
On episode 6 of Sneaky Pete. This is a fun show.

well, dark but fun.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I finished Mad Men. It had a really satisfactory ending, even though some rear end in a top hat spoiled what happens to Don back in the True Detective s2 thread

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone care about 24?

I thought 24 was basically propaganda to normalize the American public to torture and extrajudicial action by the state.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mulva posted:

Not really, like half the time the President is the bad guy. So that's sort of a mixed message there. "Torture is cool, but also kill the government!".

I mean, conservatives thought Obama was the bad guy. The whole show is basically "the ends justify the means because Keifer Suthrtland is the good guy". At least, that's what I hear. I've never watched it, and obviously have some bias against it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

The villainous president, Charles Logan, was a staple of Season 5, which aired in 2006 -- just about lining it up with when the country started pushing back against the Bush Administration. Not that you're wrong, it was very much an "ends justify the means" kind of show; Kiefer Sutherland is actually a more liberal-minded guy, but Joel Surnow was/is a huge neo-conservative who would later try to create "the conservative answer to The Daily Show" with The 1/2 Hour News Hour. (Howard Gordon, who would eventually run the show in later years, identifies as a Libertarian.) And there was also that time when some sneering :siren: ACLU LAWYER :siren: actively assisted a terrorist plot by springing him out of CTU because :cry: HE HAS RIGHTS :cry:.

Still, the show's politics weren't as cut and dried as they may have seem on the surface, and the show even tried to walk back its pro-torture stance in season 7: First, by stating it out loud, and then in the long run by focusing more on the tragic nature of Jack Bauer and tying it directly to the work he did. (Live Another Day was some pretty intense poo poo, especially at the end.)

Yeah, I'm sure it's actually not that bad. It was just a big turnoff hearing about all the stuff that happened on the show while people in real life were trying to justify enhanced interrogation and gitmo and poo poo.

Shut Eye is pretty fun. Several great characters. Love "both" villains.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But that's my point. Torture doesn't loving work. Fiction continuing to portray it as a necissary evil is the problem. By portraying torture as effective, it perpetuates the mindset that it is sometimes justified.

Edit: my favorite instance of fictional torture is in Alias, where Jennifer Garner's dad (i think) just suffocates someone to death, resuscitates them, and says "I just killed you. I'm gonna keep rekilling you until you tell me what I need to know" fuckin lol.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I just watched the first episode of Chance and I seriously have no idea what the hell the premise of the show is.

It's good, keep watching it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Well it's only 10 episodes, and it doesn't end on a cliffhanger. There are threads that will probably lead into the next season, but the A plot is wrapped.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting my bestie into The Americans right now, since we just finished Mad Men together. It's so good.

Did season 5 start yet? I haven't been paying attention...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: it takes until like episode 7 of season 1 to stop being "mission of the week" and then starts to get really good. There's a bit of a lull in the back half of season 2, but the payoff is worth it.

Edit: like, I came around to Mad Men eventually, but I find The Americans way more interesting and engaging.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Yep, if I ever need a good cry I just throw on The Body.

Through if you come into it for the first time though without any Buffy knowledge Anya's breakdown seems a little strange.

I mean, it's a pretty bad episode to watch if you haven't watched the show, because you have no context for the characters. Plus the impact on you as a viewer of the character that died is gonna be nil because you didn't know them from watching the show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen the first season of Hemlock Grove. It's very bad. It's interesting, but bad.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Finally checking out Orange is the New Black again. Season 3 just lost me. I quit watching about 2/3 of the way through. So I just started bavk up at the beginning if season 4. I'm about 5 episodes in and it's already much better.

I still hate Piper, but she inadvertently just founded a white supremacist group, which is pretty hilarious.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, in S4 they kind of embrace hating Piper and it gets really weird/intense/kinda funny and she kind of gets sympathetic again.

A little.

But by bailing on the end of S3 I think you miss some key things to hate Piper on like her framing Ruby Rose and getting her sent to max.

I had my roomie fill me in on stuff that I missed, since we are watching together and she didn't bail on s3.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Shut Eye is good and it's only 10 episodes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Did Always Sunny finally end?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm doing it. I quit Quantico at the S1 mid-season break, but I'm going to jump back in with S2.

omg it's QUAN2CO how cool:suicide:

edit: Ugh, still Grey's Anatomy: Clandestine Service. I want a spy/thriller show and this has bits and pieces of it but it's like a $20 appetizer where there's a bunch of filler and not enough of the good stuff.

Did you watch Blindspot yet? It's uh... Also kinda ridiculous, but I think it's got to be better than Quantico, from the clips I've seen of Quantico. It's got spy thriller stuff and also a good dose of action. Chases and gunfights and martial arts in every episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Finished season 4 of Orange is the New Black. Holy poo poo, that was a good season. But also way, way darker than the show has ever gone before. The even numbered seasons are the best so far, but hopefully that's not a pattern and the next season is good too.

• Locked thread