Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The problem with wanting the next GoT is that a studio asking for the 'next' anything has never worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

LionArcher posted:

I call it the prestige show binge problem. Each episode still needs to be its own thing. If an episode doesn't even have a drat theme it's a structure problem. It's one of the reasons Stranger Things stands out, because it does not have this problem.

Sepinwall has written a few times about the joys of standalone episodes and I think it's something that is being phased out completely now everyone wants to do the dreaded 13 hour movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Not to alarm anyone, but early word of mouth is that STAR TREK: DISCOVERY is actually really good.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ID2 is only noteable for Brent Spiner's character waking up from a coma and turning into a huge gay caricature.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ID2 is inane garbage that's largely just set up for a sequel that's not going to come and spends most of its running time with terrible and characters. It commits the biggest sin those movies can commit by being really loving boring.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ZOO is the right kind of crazy, but S3 really makes some questionable character choices, not least of all turning Jackson into what I think is the world's biggest idiot.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

It still seems crazy to me that in the year 2017 someone decided that PRISON BREAK, a show that withered away and died with little fanfare, came back for another run.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

The tribulations of Disney's relationship with ABC was one of my favourite parts of DisneyWar.

Michael Eisner was so sure that Who Wants To Be a Millionaire would be an evergreen hit for ABC that he turned down CSI and Survivor, among other things.

It's such a great book.

Eisner: The moment you think I'm getting to be a liability, tell me and I'll go.
Disney: We think you're getting to be a liability and should resign like you said.
Eisner: I don't recall that conversation.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

It's possible to know without knowing. Never would've guessed that Knowles was an abuser, but the minute I heard somebody came forward, I thought "Yep, he did it."

BTW, now that that's all out, I wouldn't be shocked if their TV guy, Herc, harassed some people too. One of the reasons I stopped reading that site is because, in many of his advance TV reviews, he complained about actresses not getting naked. He might have been an even bigger creep than Harry.

Billy Donnelly, a former writer on the site, was canned years ago by Knowles for giving the movie '42' a negative review. Something about Knowles' father loving Jackie Robinson (Honestly it's bizarre). He detailed it in a recent Facebook post but essentially Knowles has always been a liar and a thief and generally an rear end in a top hat but if you were working for that site at that time you'd let it pass because you were getting access that other places simply weren't. It's insane (Particularly if you ever read anything that Knowles has written) that Hollywood actually paid attention to and feared that site.

Sure the former writers look admirable now, but they were fine with Knowles making GBS threads on plenty of people so long as they weren't tarnished along with it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Is there any point to watching Twin Peaks: The Return if I didn't watch the second half of season 2, but read a good deal about it? What if I also haven't seen Fire Walk with Me? And what if I can't remember much of season 1?

Get a refresher on S1 and the first half of S2. Watch the last episode of S2 but definitely watch FIRE WALK WITH ME as of everything, that has been pretty integral to what happens in S3. You still might be lost, but you'll be less lost.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Drive Angry 3D comes reeeeeeal loving close, though.

That and MY BLOODY VALENTINE are the best 3D experiences I've had at the movies. gently caress this AVATAR nonsense.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

I've never understood why so many people who love shows like Seinfeld and Always Sunny struggle with accepting that the people on Friends are supposed to be terrible people.

Lol nope, not at all. Though it is interesting watching now that Ross is essentially as bad as Dennis Reynolds, except the show is painfully unaware of it.

I remember liking it a lot when it aired, but it became pretty poor once they did the London episodes and everyone gracefully lept into becoming caricatures.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

In all fairness to FRIENDS, it wouldn't be the juggernaut that it was if it wasn't for that cast.

Also, a reminder of what a lovely person Ross was:

quote:

In case you don’t remember, after two seasons of pining over his dream girl, he finally gets Rachel interested in him. I remember everyone wanting them to get together and for Rachel to give him a chance–and then she does and he never really treats her like a human being for the duration of their relationship.

Ross makes a list when he’s supposed to choose between the woman he meets on his trip, Julie (Lauren Tom), and Rachel. He is a grown man who makes a list of pros and cons like he’s deciding on a car or a house to buy and not the person he loves. Not only that, but one of the cons is that Rachel is a waitress. He literally thinks she is beneath him because she does not have a career. And then, once she gets a chance at her dream job, Ross has a complete meltdown.

From this pretty good piece here: http://www.tracking-board.com/friends-character-ross-geller-is-the-notallmen-prototype/

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Zoo has stopped being enjoyably bad and is now just bad.

Yep. It's a shame because it's largely tongue in cheek for most of its run, but the last season is just dire. Jackson becomes literally the dumbest person on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Ending on a cliffhanger annoyed the poo poo out of me since I can find nothing concrete on a 4th season happening. The actress playing his sister is also somehow setting the bar even lower than normal for this show. Hell she probably needs a backhoe to get the bar as low as her skills rate.

She's a terrorist, killed tons of people, and Jackson treats it like if someone just gave her a good talking to then it would be alright.

• Locked thread