Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't wanna take this to the Hannibal thread because they're probably just gonna try to sell me on the show, but does the writing in this show ever, uh... improve? I'm very early on, and I'm wondering if it's one of those shows that takes a few episodes to find its footing or if I have to just accept the writing in order to enjoy the acting and directing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The comical over-the-top methods and pathology of the killers, the obviousness of the dialogue, the ridiculous attempts to ratchet up tension, everything about the wacky jaded coroner team.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've watched and enjoyed much dumber shows, I just want to know where I should set my expectations is all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No! I love procedural elements! :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

whowhatwhere posted:

I think it nails that perfectly. I hated the "let's make the subtext text, then bold it, then UNDERLINE IT AND ADD EXCLAMATION MARKS!!!!!" stuff too until I realized that was (part of) the joke.

I'd say it feels more like a pretentious art film from the 80s written by the CSI writer's team. :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spatula City posted:

and you don't like this, why? Nothing about that description sounds bad. it's like an abstract arthouse parody of crime procedurals. :allears:

It just doesn't come across like a parody, is the thing. It comes across as wasted potential. "This is the best we could do."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I am so glad Netflix greenlit Dear White People, now I get to watch a rerun of when racists lost their minds about the movie in 2014.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah sorry, shoulda specified.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/entertainment/netflix-dear-white-people-first-look/index.html

E: Lmao those dislikes. Doesn't take much, does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzggK5DRBA

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 9, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The ending of Hannibal S03 E05 is the most tv has made me smile in some months.

precision posted:

I feel like I must be broken because I legitimately don't enjoy watching lovely people out themselves as lovely. It just makes me depressed.

Thing is, I've known these lovely people are out there for ages, so I just enjoy when something pushes their buttons and makes them go insane. I can't get rid of them, but at least I can get some schadenfreude.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09L0YPY-9Ww

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:siren:Mega Jackass Depressing videos about death below :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NjFbz6vGU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_5KLRkqdS4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr6o5uDjBRI

E: spoiler tags don't work on videos, huh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The final scene of Hannibal S3 being a hair away from "gunshot, fade to black" might as well be my review for the show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Season 1 of the X-files is an amazing study on Tell, Don't Show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

kaynorr posted:

And yet it was still amazingly cutting edge (Twin Peaks was probably pushing the envelope further back then). We've come a long way in terms of not just production values but writing techniques/quality as well.

I know for a fact it gets a lot better in terms of budget and presentation in season 2. As a little kid the first episode I saw was uh, the one with gross worm parasites exploding out of boils? Scared the hell out of me. But I think even tiny Lurdiak wouldn't have been all that impressed by the episode with the guy who can allegedly stretch and squash through tiny openings that they never show do anything like that except have his face be on the other side of a vent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

"Mulder, we both know that werewolves don't exist."
"Yes, Scully, but what I'm presupposing is... maybe they do."

It's pretty great how fast Scully becomes the idiot of the pair. "Hey Scully, what about that incredible unexplainable thing we just saw, much like the 200 others we saw in previous episodes? Pretty crazy how it made us levitate 40 feet in the air and vaporized an entire town." "Eh, that was swamp gas"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This supercomputer in X-files keeps yelling out the operations it's doing to an empty room and I can't deal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man I'd forgotten how the early seasons had episodes based on all these really weird conspiracy website ideas of what an alien can be or do. Weird shadows that phase through walls, ghosts that possess people, little grey men, they're all aliens, so they're all in the show. And the show just kinda takes it as read that you're at least passingly familiar with this weird poo poo, so there isn't that scene of someone reading an old book to explain what the gently caress this thing is or why it's doing what it's doing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qtdrb08UBk

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Someone posted a tweet few pages ago from X-Files. Having never watched the show decided to start it. On episode 5 and show is pretty cool. Enjoying Mulder's character a bit.

Even only 5 episodes in you can probably see how bad an idea it was for them to try to continue the show without Mulder.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man, X-files, someone who can switch sexes at will is not exactly a spooky or mind-blowing concept.

Maybe I don't remember the early 90s mindset well enough.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 26, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

It's mind blowing. You could impregnate yourself.

I don't think about such things, and neither should you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah I'm just gonna go ahead and call Patriot the best show of the year, I can't see how anything could top it except maybe The Americans.

We're getting another season of Better Call Saul ain't we?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRGqeCvWLI0

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's weird how much actual cop stuff is in the first season of X-files.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

If skipping forward in the episode order is something that doesn't bother you, for the love of God watch the episode "Bad Blood" right the gently caress now.

Is that the one with Munch in it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really like how hard and fast season 2 of X-files establishes Skinner's character. In season 1 the people supervising X-files were all shady as gently caress and strongly implied to be part of some conspiracy. But Skinner is being established as this guy who only cares about doing things by the book and getting results, and the only thing he hates more than Mulder going off-reservation is people trying to play games with his office. He's a really good component of the show.

Also the show's starting to figure out it should lean more into the horror elements and less into the procedural elements.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure, you watch the first season of Millennium and it could easily be Criminal Minds.

Millenium is on the watch list once I get to the lovely part of X-files. I don't remember that show being good that often, but it was so loving weird.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

If I was going to revisit one or two of my favourite childhood cartoons (I was born in 1991) what could I expect to hold up well?

My first instinct is either Gargoyles or Darkwing Duck. Thought those were great.

Both of those are pretty solid. Darkwing Duck has a few dud episodes, but it's still pretty funny and way better than Duck Tales.

Just don't start trying to watch the 90s Spider-man cartoon or Bots Master or some other poo poo like that. Stick to your Aladdins and your Batmans.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blood is a really good example of an early X-files episode that should've been just "some weird poo poo happens" that gets dragged down by needing to tie it into the idea that THEY are behind it all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Duane Barry is attempted murder on epileptics disguised as TV.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I love the rare episodes where Mulder dismisses the supernatural shenanigans as bullshit, only to be proven wrong.

"This guy ain't a vampire, he just thinks he is" *guy bursts into flames in the sunlight* "Oh."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That 80's show.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The satanist episode of X-files was profoundly stupid.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

That episode is so good. Just keep in mind the context of the time when it was made, as satanic panic was just barely out of vogue. Half the viewers of the episode in the moment probably believed that satanists were ritually abusing children in schools and daycares, so making it such a goofy parody of what believers thought the reality looked like is amazing.

I was totally fine with that aspect of it, I just really didn't like how they felt the need to overcomplicate the plot with that teacher who was apparently a different kind of satanist who was secretly manipulating all the events of the episode, or things like how the kid revealing she had been abused in satanic rituals was apparently misremembering half of it. It just muddied the waters of what should've been a straightforward goofy satanic teacher's union story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Humbug is the platonic ideal of an X-files episode. Just some stupid bullshit that makes no sense, killing people, looking like a reject from a Tales From the Crypt episode.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Yeah, it's great.

Exactly!

Also oh poo poo, this is it, the episode that freaked me out as a child, the one where the prisoners get a bunch of gross parasitic boils all over them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

raditts posted:

So I'm watching this Netflix Beastmaster show since it was mentioned a bit a few pages ago.

So far they did like 10 minutes of setup and hyping the course, and another 5 minutes of backstory on the American competitors, then loving yada-yada'd through the actual runs for all the competitors!
Why would they need to do this on a Netflix show, where they can make the episodes as long as they like?
Who asked for "a show that's like Ninja Warrior, but with all the parts nobody gives a poo poo about?"

That reminds me of that Robot Combat show or whatever it was called. The elevator pitch was humanoid robots fighting each other, but the show was 95% lovely reality TV drama and weird forced 'challenges' and 5% rock-em-sockem fights that looked super faked.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Pan Dulce posted:

Today's the 20th anniversary of the Buffy pilot. Taking a look again, the 90s era is obvious, but the language is still quirky and fun. It's good for a rewatch.

Sometimes I think about how Buffy season 1, if it hadn't been renewed, would probably be this really beloved cult thing because it's really good, fun, effective and self-contained. The show wasn't a formula yet, and people weren't trying to rip it off left and right. It was pretty drat unique.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

As a huge MST3K fan, not quite obsessive but not far off, I have really no interest in the relaunch. If it's good fine, if not I don't really care. I've seen nothing that really makes me excited about it. I'll definitely watch a few but I'm about as indifferent to the idea of a relaunch as you could be. I feel like the concept has grown past the show at this point. I feel like Rifftrax and the former Cinematic Titanic were the right evolution of the idea and it seems to be a step backwards to me to go back to the original show.

The problem is that Rifftrax was never funny. I mean yeah, it's a more logical format, but goddamn does Rifftrax suck.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

X-O posted:

Just when I thought you'd topped yourself in wrongness in BSS you go and up the ante.

Your terrible tastes know no bounds.

EricBauman posted:

All of the Uber fluffing in the new season of Love makes this feel really dated already.

It's fine and dandy not to be a fan of uber as a company, but cabs are still just about a million times worse to actually use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

precision posted:

Have you seen every Rifftrax?

Oh no, is it one of those things where I have to see every single one to be allowed to say if it's good or not? I've listened to about 5 of them and a couple highlight reels on youtube. I checked out when their only gag for the asian character in twilight was "he likes anime because he's asian".

• Locked thread