Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
2016 still has an hour left to murder Stephen Fry or Hugh Laurie and really ruin things :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-O posted:

So 2016 managed to give a last "gently caress You!" as it slithered away. We lost Father Mulcahy (William Christopher) from M.A.S.H. on 12/31. And 2017 if you even look at Alan Alda the wrong way we're gonna have words.

Speaking of Alan Alda, Horace and Pete on Hulu is some extremely weird, wild, uncomfortable poo poo. I'm assuming it was filmed like a stage play since that's how it's presented, flubbed lines and all. I think a lot of it is improv actually.

Anyway though, it's really good, but very honest and kind of hard to watch. Alan Alda is the best one in it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Finished Trevor Noah's book the other night. Holy poo poo, the last chapter is the kind of thing you just can't make up. :psyduck:

If anyone is interested in it, do not look up anything about the book beforehand, because it will probably end up spoiling the ending for you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Just spoil it I'm not reading it.

In the very beginning of the book, Trevor lets you know that his mother eventually gets shot in the back of the head by his stepfather. This is not really every brought up again as he goes through his life because his stepfather enters the picture rather later. At the end, he finally gets to the part where his stepfather shoots his mother. She survives via pretty much "literally miracle" as the bullet enters the back of her head, missing her spinal cord by millimeters, ricochets off her cheekbone and comes out by her nose, leaving her perfectly fine and she gets sent home from the hospital the same day. You really don't get the full effect unless you've gotten to "know" his mother, which is what the book is really about; it's almost entirely about him and his relationship with his mom, and the ending is such a surprise happy one that it made me go whoah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, he does go into a lot of detail about how Apartheid worked (and why it didn't and why it was nonsense) but yeah the main narrative thrust is his relationship with his mom, who sounds cool as hell.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Steve Buscemi also kills it in horace and pete

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

punch drunk posted:

Anyone else watch The Kettering Incident on Amazon? Bit of a Twin Peaks mystery/thriller type thing that had me pretty hooked all the way through. A lot of people apparently had a problem with the finale but I enjoyed it and it seems to be confirmed for a second season anyway so I suggest checking it out.

Yeah it's pretty good. Very X-Files/Twin Peaks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

So, uh...I'm watching my first episode of Catfish. The one with Catherine and Graham.

I'm pretty sure this was one of the tamer ones (I heard about one where someone thought he was talking to Katy Perry for 6 years, lol), and somehow it still broke my brain. Pretty sure this show's not for me.

Dude, Catfish is brilliant, marathon that poo poo! The more recent seasons are super crazy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh Snapple! posted:

He's also the dude who called GRRM "The American Tolkien"

For a minute I thought that said "The American Toilet"

Checks out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wish Person of Interest had gone further in the direction of episodes like 7 and ditched the computer plot entirely.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hate that I'll have to wait 5 hours to watch tonight's The Good Place. I wish Hulu would put the episodes up immediately after they air, or while they're airing like HBO Now does. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

I never saw POI as a science fiction show even a tiny bit. It was a procedural, until it tried to be a serial drama and got bad. The Machine was a magic plot device, not scifi.

Yeah basically that. This forum is ridiculous with its hatred of anything remotely procedural. POI was at its best when it was just doing a number of the week while maintaining some continuity and having some recurring characters, eg Elias.

This post is 100% OTM.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Odd specific request: old tv shows (70s or 80s) with commercials included? I've looked around on Youtube and the vast majority of old stuff has the commercials cut out because I guess I'm the only one who wants to like replicate the actual experience of watching an old show.

Any show but I'd prefer things like daytime game shows or dramas like Falcon Crest.

There used to be a site that would automatically make you a Playlist of shows and commercials from YouTube if you gave it a specific year, which was kinda close enough

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

I lost all my respect for Tom Hardy when I found out he loves vaping

Vaping, truly the scourge of the 21st century.

Ever wanted to voluntarily addict yourself to nicotine without even the sweet flavor of tobacco?! HAVE I GOT THE PRODUCT FOR YOU!

I bet Ethan Hawke vapes. Ugh

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is this love/hate about Sherlock a real thing or a TVIV thing? I agree it's often flawed and has several outright "bad" episodes, but on the whole it's not worth hating is it? Really?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"A great place to get away with all" is a very grammatically interesting tagline :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kraps posted:

Any recommendations for a show that feels like Leverage, meaning episode sized chunks that are semi-serious yet feel-good?

Awake

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

General forgetful/Snakness I guess.

Between the two of us, we're a half-wit!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LibbyM posted:

Does Hannibal remain a consistently good show?

Oy, that's a can of worms and no mistake. I bailed in season 3 because it just wasn't to my tastes anymore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Mads is doing like 20 Disney movies a year though.

And the new Hideo Kojima movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bull3964 posted:

American Horror Story has been picked up for two additional seasons beyond the season 7 already announced. Let's ride this to 2019!

America's Horror Story is gonna last until at least 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

He described Sneaky Pete as "A less violent Banshee or a more violent Impastor", and well those are two good rear end shows to be compared to.

Holy poo poo, I forgot about Impastor, I remember the pilot being really quite good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Considering it was on TV Land, I'm surprised it even got a second season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

I think the problem is that some episodes just fall completely flat. For instance, I liked both the wedding episode from last season and last weeks episode but the others around them fall between mediocre and boring. The writers are way too obsessed with twists and the directors over-complicate everything for the purposes of visual gimmicks. My favorite Sherlock episode is ironically the pilot and by that I don't mean the first episode. They re-shot the pilot with a higher budget and it actually became worse and more contrived despite having veritably the same actors and script.

It's frustrating to watch because the show clearly could be a lot better than it is if it'd just get its head out of its rear end.

Thanks for the reasonable response! That's more or less how I feel about the show, honestly, and yeah I loved the wedding episode.

e: I'm only 10 minutes into Lemony Snicket and holy poo poo this is the best

precision fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 13, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lemony Snicket is already in the running for best show of 2017, it's actually insane just how good it is. I never read the books but I probably will now.

e: When two of the people saying it's good are the two people who kept telling you not to sleep on Rectify you best listen!

precision fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 14, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Ugh that show sounds terrible but like 80℅ of my posts in this thread are about how amazing Rectify is so you picked the right lever to get me to think about it.

It gives me a very Terry Gilliam vibe - along the tone of Time Bandits or Baron Munchausen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pop punk is far from the worst thing in the world. The Ramones, The Buzzcocks, The Gun Club, etc. All great.

I'm on episode 3 of Lemon Snickers and it's still the most awesome thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is getting creepy, because I was about to take a break from Snicket to watch Sneaky Pete.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's extremely funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fallorn posted:

I just started watching Falling Water and after 3 episodes I still want to continue watching. I love the fact that one of the characters is the pretty much the concept of Cayce Pollard from the Blue Ant Trilogy for seeing patterns or items and knowing they can and will be popular.

It's a very good show and yes, the Gibson influence is there in spades. The rich guy is basically Bigend from the same book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

I'm not trolling, it's a terrible show and unless you're a 13 year old girl you should be ashamed to proclaim that you enjoy it. Now put me on ignore.

I think everyone around here knows that, in some kind of cosmic sense, I am in fact a 13 year old girl.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You are both insane, Misfits seasons 4 and 5 are both improvements over 3 and eventually Rudy is by far the best character ever.

It's actually somewhat silly and unfair to even talk about seasons 1+2 and seasons 4+5 in the same context though as by then the cast is largely entirely new and it's more like an anthology show, the end of season 2 is the end of the show having a meta-plot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sneaky Pete is fantastic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just having trouble reading that someone is an NPH fan and doesn't like the show. It's no so clear in episode 1, but starting with 2 the show becomes extremely "NPH-esque" and his performance just keeps building, and it is awesome

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
TVIV operates on LOST/Leftovers style magic; only the good posters can see the good threads.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STAC Goat posted:

I'm 2 episodes into Series of Unfortunate Events and I'm not quite sure what I think of it. I find the style a bit jaunty and the episodes feel long in a bad way, which may come down to all the dense dialogue. I haven't felt the need to watch two episodes in a row yet, but I'm not feeling the need to stop watching either. The second episode roped me in a bit more since it seemed to go a little lighter on the Snicket/Warburton "turn away, this is terrible" stuff and give Olaf/NPH more to work with. It just seems like its going to take awhile for me to get through it instead of a 2-3 day binge. Which I suppose matches with some reading where I'll read for an hour or 2-3 and then just need to put it down and pick it up again tomorrow.

It seems like everyone, myself included, agrees that the first 2 episodes are the weakest, especially when it comes to NPH. Keep watching (don't keep watching, I beg you).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Having never read the books, the thing that's keeping me up at night is the whole "this story doesn't have a happy ending" caveat. :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The set design for Lemony Snicket was done by the guy who did the set design on Edward Scissorhands, and it really shows in places like episodes 3+4.

Also, episodes 3+4 introduce one of the best characters played by a really funny actor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If anything the speed at which the plot moves in Lemony Snicket (the Netflix show) is breathtaking. I'm on episode 4 now and I did not expect this much world-building and mystery and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm just assuming it takes place in the same universe as The Addams Family

• Locked thread