Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

So, Amazon has announced that they're doing the adaptation of the Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett novel Good Omens to be released next year but in an interesting twist Gaiman will be writing all the episodes himself and will be serving as showrunner.

OH MY GOD IT'S HAPPENING

PLEASE LET IT HAPPEN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yep Sneaky Pete is good and I think if you like it, there's a solid chance you'll like Shut Eye as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The season finale of The Good Place was absolutely loving mental in the best way imaginable. I mean there are no words.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this! posted:

Back to the Gaiman news, Starz has confirmed an April start date for American Gods.

The timing on this is quite cheeky.

"We're all hosed anyway" should clearly be the thread title.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spatula City posted:

Also, you will believe in the love story between an anthropomorphized computer and a dimwitted DJ from Jacksonville. :3:

"I wasn't a failed DJ! I was pre-successful!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not enough love for Jason's stick-figure rendition of the Kama Sutra :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

All of them.

But not The OA.

:agreed:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I for one welcome our Netflix overlords. They've done really well with original/exclusive content so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bottom line for us is that we can get Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now and Fandor all for less than we'd pay for the most basic cable package (even taking into account that we get our Internet from a cable company).

That's a poo poo ton more content for less money, so I really don't feel like complaining.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah if you don't watch a lot of different shows buying episodes is much more reasonable than you might think

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

I got you all beat for inane non-problems.

I like to fall asleep with the TV on. After a couple of hours of inactivity, though, Netflix and Amazon's auto-play functionality will cease and require viewer input to continue. Theoretically speaking, this could happen long before my TV's sleep timer goes off.

I challenge you all to tell me why this is an issue if I'm asleep anyway.

I do this too and the bigger issue for me is that sometimes a PS4 will go into sleep mode even though it's right in the middle of something. I believe it only happens with YouTube though, I know we've gone to bed with Netflix on and in the morning realize we've sleep-watched a whole season of something.

I tried switching to podcasts but the ones I listen to are too funny to fall asleep, or too loud for my wife, or both.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

I really thought talking animals was where the show was going! Such a bummer. Is season two up for streaming yet?

Yeah, it got added to Netflix recently. I am given to understand that the plot in season 2 is about as batshit as "a talking bear" without actually including a talking bear.

It's Under the Dome levels of fascinatingly dumb.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Grey posted:

Why wouldn't you just go and sit in a friends basement for 28 days?

Or check into a rehab clinic under a fake name.

Or buy 28 days worth of granola bars and hang out in the woods.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Elite posted:

There was a UK show called Hunted maybe a year or two back with the same premise that was "okay". At the very least it was interesting.

:words:

That actually does sound really interesting, I'll check it out with low expectations, the spoilered stuff you said especially sounds neat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We had a 200gb data cap for like 3 months before the shitstorm of public response made them raise it to 1000gb (which, this month, we've used half of, and that includes downloading a lot of large PS4 games).

Which areas still have a 200gb cap? That would indeed be awful.

precision fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 24, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

Oh man, the ending to the penultimate episode of Lemony Snicket is both miserable and inconvenient.

Episode 7? I'm drawing a blank on how it was particularly miserable

I'm watching Zoo while laid up after another tooth surgery and hahaha

"What are bats doing in Antarctica?"
"Covering the solar panels"

This show is amazing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision posted:

Episode 7? I'm drawing a blank on how it was particularly miserable

I'm watching Zoo while laid up after another tooth surgery and hahaha

"What are bats doing in Antarctica?"
"Covering the solar panels"

This show is amazing

lelandjs posted:

Mother and Father were not the Baudelaire parents despite the show hinting that they were.

Oh right, I thought that wasn't revealed until episode 8. I watched the last 4 episodes all in a row so they kinda blurred together in the sideplots.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

Suck a dick hurt locker.

Well I'm glad someone else finally said it.

e: Begin Again is the kind of movie I really like but have a hard time recommending because it is, indeed, twee as gently caress.

e2: Whatever happened to Twee As gently caress? It always mystified me why such an acerbic/bad poster had a name based off the least acerbic musical genres that exists (even the passive-aggressiveness of "The Boy With the Arab Strap" comes off more cute than legitimately throwing shade)

precision fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 26, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

So "weird" means "makes me want to commit suicide" now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sector_corrector posted:

I'm hoping it will be like Gotham, and be both.

:agreed:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well I'm going to buy a bunch of comic books for the first time ever, Squirrel Girl looks funny

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pan Dulce posted:

I want to watch the Americans, given the glowing reviews everyone in SA seems to have for it. What would you compare it to, though?

The Man in the High Castle, but way better.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Riverdale is officially loving brilliant, based on the pilot anyway. Loved it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rocksicles posted:

Leah Remini's show about Scientology is reallllllly good.

There's something infuriatingly tone deaf about a network's site asking me to log in with my cable company, when I do in fact pay a cable company for my internet, and then being told my company won't let me watch the show on the website, which only makes me go "well okay then have it your way I'll just pirate it, goddamn people"

Like seriously this is 2017 here A&E. :psyduck:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

X-O posted:

Well do you pay your cable company for cable? If not I don't see a problem here.

I actually do, the message I get is something like "streaming isn't supported by that carrier". We don't use our cable, and don't even have a cable box (we could, or should, we just don't bother).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Riverdale is legitimately good on its own merits. It is formulaic though. I'll give you that. Based on the exactly one episode I've watched.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm binging through American Crime Story again, just as good on rewatch. Netflix just put up season 1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I knew Timothy Olyphant was funny because of his appearance as the sushi chef on The League.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've only watched the pilot but yeah Santa Clarita Diet is kind of fantastic (and it's great to have a sitcom that doesn't need to care about swear words).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kloaked00 posted:

I need help figuring out what show I'm thinking of. Within the last year, a major plot point was that the sitting president lost the primary to his challenger, but then after talking with his chief of staff they decide to run as an independent instead since he has such broad appeal. I can't for the life of me, think what show that's from. Any ideas?

It sounds like you drank way too much cold medicine and fell asleep while watching Veep :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

I love how Bill Maher is afraid of his new set. The past three weeks someone always trips while getting to their seat.

I think that's just because they're stoned. Bill won't let you on air otherwise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Joe Rogan refuses to admit that Alex Jones is putting on an act and that "10% of what he says is true" so, you know, :lol:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Holy gently caress OJ Made In America is fantastic. It's a billion hours, but I got sucked in and went through five hours like it was nothing. If I had made a list of the best of 2016 I would have included that on it.

I thought it could have been cut down by an hour or two but the latter 4 hours are really great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bagrada posted:

I got a Nielson survey in the mail, came with a crisp new $5.00 bill and offered me another if I returned the survey about my favorites. Netflix counts as a channel, right? If not I guess I could have answered NBC, they have The Good Place and This is Us. Add in Timeless, Powerless, Black List and Emerald City and I'm watching the most shows from them this year so far.

My wife and I have been a Nielsen family for a little over a year now. Maybe they're watching this thread :tinfoil:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I don't quite hate it that much but yeah I have absolutely no idea why The Americans is so acclaimed. It's so dull and aimless, and good performances can't overcome poor writing.

Dull and aimless? Even if you don't like it those are weird criticisms imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If anything the problem with LOST was that it answered too much. For example, the episode with Richard's back story was cool but also completely unnecessary.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

I am so glad Netflix greenlit Dear White People, now I get to watch a rerun of when racists lost their minds about the movie in 2014.

I feel like I must be broken because I legitimately don't enjoy watching lovely people out themselves as lovely. It just makes me depressed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Just posting to remind everyone that The Mick is loving incredible.

I loved the Pilot and episode 2, but episode 3 was kind of "eh". I'll stick with it because I love Olsen.

Also, me when watching episode 3: "I liked this show better when it was called Grounded For Life".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like Baskets but I think Horace and Pete is just as interesting, maybe moreso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

It's on Hulu

and yeah I prefer H&P (as everyone should know by now) but that doesn't seem super relevant re: Baskets

They're both Louis CK joints

Baskets is also on Hulu, something that Hulu apparently tried to hide from me until last night, so I'm rewatching season 1 and it's even better the second time. It's great when Zach Galafinakas actually puts effort forth

• Locked thread