Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

With regards to censorship and S&P practices rulings in the 21st century, I urge everyone to try watching an episode of Naked Attraction from the UKs Channel 4 (a network broadcaster).

It's without doubt the most Channel 4 thing ever, while also feeling like a German satellite TV show from the 90s. I feel they should re-dub all the talking back over just to complete this.

The show works as thus: a male or female contestant walks out, clothed, and there are something like 8 people in pods, naked, who are male/female/combo based on the contestants preferences.

They then start opening the pods from the bottom up, letting the contestant eliminate unwanted suitors based solely on genitalia, which are shown completely uncensored. Bit by bit they get fully revealed, the contestant then chooses 2 they like the best, gets undressed themselves for reasons (?), and then picks one to go on a date with. The end.

The whole time everyone is trying to talk as if this is a legitimate thing, saying things like 'how refreshing it is that I can see beyond materialistic things like clothing to see the real person' as if this means anything. But everyone there must know it's complete titilating bullshit, from producers to host to contestants.

It's the strangest thing on TV, and it's quite funny to mentally contrast and compare it to 1990s dating trash poo poo that Cilla Black would host on a Saturday afternoon. It's hard to know which has more, if any, merit.

God bless Channel 4 for completely selling out on what made them the most interesting channel for decades but still having someone there who'll commission poo poo like this. It's like a bit of it still lives on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh I completely agree. It's like watching a car crash.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Please post some choice quotes of awkward dialogue. I've only seen the first episode, which admittedly I skimmed through some parts of because I just couldn't deal with the whole thing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DivisionPost posted:

So, uh...I'm watching my first episode of Catfish.

Couldn't stand the film and the show is almost as bad. Mainly due to the main guy, he's just so incredibly annoying and I can't trust a single thing they do is legit.

Watch the movie 'Tickled' from last year. It's far more entertaining and everything I wanted when I read the description for Catfish which turned out to be a damp squib.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Guy Mann posted:

I enjoyed Tickled but much like Catfish I thought it was weird that the marketing and trailers spent so much time hyping up the INCREDIBLE TWIST that you WON'T SEE COMING and it turns out to be...exactly what you expected it would be. It would have been an actual surprise if it had been literally anything other than a gross old man pretending to be a woman on the internet.

I think I was lucky that I saw it early enough in the run that all I knew before going in was that it was weird, rather than being overhyped. While it's endpoint isn't unexpected, the level of insanity before they get there is jaw dropping at points whereas in Catfish I spent the whole time waiting for a single interesting thing to happen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

STAC Goat posted:

How'd South Park hold up over the years? I haven't watched it in at least a decade and I just signed up for some Hulu and notice they've got it. I probably won't bother since there's a bunch of other shows for me to binge before I cancel in a month or two but is it worth even putting on my watchlist? Hell, forget "hold up", was any of it any good? I haven't watched it since I was a douchey drunk kid who would embarrass current me so I have no idea if it was ever good.

Sure, there's still some great episodes from the past for sure. I expect the ones that were based around whatever was happening that week that has long been forgotten suffer, but there's plenty that don't.

If you want to know how the 3 most recent seasons went:

Season from 2 years ago: started messing around with continuity elements and it was really cool, and gave us some amazing episodes that were the best in years. If it wasn't for the meh Pewdiepie double episode at the end, it might've been my all time favorite season. That episode made sense, it just wasn't that funny.

Season from last year: went balls in with continuity and everything fell into place, and for the most part really worked and was funny. The end was a little dud, but overall it was fresh and a solid idea.

This year: they tried the same thing but doing it around the election, and it was a massive loving mistake that started falling apart and never recovered. It even felt like it lost most of the people who were really liking it to start with. A real shame, and probably one of the worst (if not the worst) season they've done.

So overall: still good with one blip, should recover though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn't have the patience to deal with PoI going from OK to legitimately good. Maybe one day.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

get that OUT of my face posted:

Then I'm going to have to ask my friend what her final verdict of it was, because when it started out she kept saying how hilarious it was. Also, wasn't quitting Twitter a big part of the story arc?

Yeah it intertwined trolling, social media, and politics. Given last seasons was about safe spaces and similar stuff for a lot of the time, it didn't feel different enough for me personally. There were some good gags as usual, but watching any of those episodes out of context in syndication is going to make absolutely no sense to anyone whose not seen the season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

While It's true it's a prequel, from the season I watched, it will be enhanced by knowing Breaking Bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most network dramas suffer from the same problems - too high an episode order, and the constant need to make it accessible for new viewers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not according to the people who watch it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It hasn't started yet.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh I saw a review on IGN and was like "Oh that came out already?"

Oh that's neat, it seems the kind of thing my wife would like to watch with me so I'll hunt that out now and hope they like it at least.

Escobarbarian posted:

UK thread. The premiere was bullshit, but general twitter buzz I'm hearing for ep 2 is stronger.

Ah, gone from being irregular terrible to just regular terrible then ;)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So nobody at Fox thought it might've been a good idea to switch out the Family Guy episode last night where one of the plots involves Joe getting a gun out of checked luggage while on a plane?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

If we pulled episodes of TV shows every time there was a mass shooting, nothing would ever air.

Just switch in that HD Fireplace video. Unless there's been another warehouse fire killing a bunch of hipsters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish every show had that opportunity, so it's neat it's starting to happen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you're interested in TV logos and the like, there's a really good series on Vimeo primarily about the UK set of channels 'ITV' that covers way more history than you could possibly want. https://vimeo.com/channels/itvintheface

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Croatoan posted:

I did it! I finally found a show currently on UK television that isn't horrible! 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown is pretty good.

It's pretty fun, but they do run it into the ground a bit. Being an hour long show doesn't do it many favours I think. Probably the only panel show I sometimes bother with, mind.

e: UK TV wise, 'This Country' was really good. And 'Mindhorn' is a good film if you like stuff like Darkplace.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dancer posted:

I don't live in the UK, nor follow TV really, but every new year's I eagerly look forward to Charlie Booker's wipe. Does he not have a weekly show, for at least parts of the year?

Not at the moment I believe. Used to have Newswipe and Weekly Wipe series' that ran throughout the year in small batches. And of course, Screenwipe which was the first show he did in that format. I think you can find some of them on YouTube and similar.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There was some chatter in the vinyl thread about it. Everyone seemed to like it, I was tempted but couldn't justify at this second.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not far off. A dog narrates it's life, complete with bad 'move the mouth awkwardly in sync' stuff that never looks particularly good when they're trying to do it in a realistic fashion. It's not good at all, nothing about it works. Anyone catch what the Sundance laurel they use on the commercial for it is actually about?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't watch it anymore, but Scandal is super fun. The first short season is normal, straightforward stuff then the second season hits and it's wonderful insanity from that point on.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lurdiak posted:

Is there like, a better version on some other service?

I don't know about where it might be available, but the show has a DVD release. The Netflix caps might be straight rips from lovely transfers, but something better might exist.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pretty much how I felt after seeing the commercial, too. Legit was fantastic stuff.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, Seven Days in Hell was brilliant. If this comes close, I'm so in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

try the new taco place posted:

It's really old school and a transparent All in the Family remake (I think the set is nearly identical), and I love it. Season 3 is live on NBC now and there's less than a full 24 episode season's worth to catch up on.

For years I presumed there'd be one more multicamera sitcom that would be really solid, and presumed it would be some new smart take on the genre that nobody had thought of before. Then Carmichael came along and just did the format justice by writing smart, funny scripts for a great cast. Who knew!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah theres no truly good source for high quality tv until it (if it) comes out on bluray. I must've compared about 6 different sources of Mr Robot for s2 to find something decent, but the dark scenes looked poo poo on everything.

That being said, for cable I don't find the channels on xfinity are too bad for normal programming. NBC in particular has decent bitrate, and football looks good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

The Cylons were created by man. The rebelled. They evolved. There are many copies. And they have a plan.

I liked that they even went as far as to call a spinoff thing THE PLAN.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

IRQ posted:

And I guess people just want James Bond and the russians to just speak in accents.

I feel like I'm the opposite to this trend, as every time I watch a Bond movie I want better spycraft and less formula. Luckily there's plenty of spy stuff on both sides of the coin these days to please everyone.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Escobarbarian posted:

I watched Oh, Hello on Broadway (on Netflix) and it was wonderful.

While watching did you participate in any cucaine?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just in case anyone enjoying Oh Hello on Netflix hasn't seen this slice of awesome, reposting it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkitRyvdtJY

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It felt like Piper was the 'relatable' character for people to empathize with as we start the show with her journey into incarceration. Her role on the show feels kinda pointless now, at least it's not as front and center as it used to.

And yeah, I have one episode left but this season was great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

Birdman is amazing. I feel like Keaton did a better job in The Founder though, as a really lovely con man who is also stupidly likeable in some ways.

I watched Founder purely because of Keaton, as the early reviews I read didn't seem that keen on it and I had a presumption that it was going to spin things into a really positive story or something. Really glad I ignored both others/myself, good movie.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

precision posted:

I believe that Fincher said at least once that he didn't like Fight Club when he first read it or something.

The man has taste, it's a loving terrible book.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The episode with Kumail and Rhys Darby made the new season completely worth it. I only watched that one and the first episode, and ignored the rest.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Eezee posted:

You need to be really careful to not watch them out of order though. The broadcast order was hosed up and it's hosed up on Netflix as well.

Ugh yeah, it's the worst. You really have to watch it in order because the few arcing plots just make no sense otherwise and peoples jobs keep changing.

Happy Endings was also aired out of order but it's not so bad, and the network did it on purpose as they wanted the show to get moving a bit quicker and pick up an audience. This failed, but Happy Endings is so good it reminds me I should try get my wife into it.

I guess the 20s/30s not settling down thing could also apply to Always Sunny and The League if you've never watched them. The League fell apart in the latter few years, but s2 and s3 were especially good.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Arist posted:

Remember when they remade Broadchurch in the US and kept David Tennant

Remember when they tried to remake The IT Crowd in the US and kept Richard Ayoade

What weird things those were

Robert Llewellyn as Kryten in Red Dwarf too. At least he got to keep the superior suit for the BBC episodes that followed!

McHales accent in that IT Crowd remake is just so bad.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just to make sure I do this properly, I should watch the normal Pilot and not the European Pilot because it's either missing something or has spoilers from memory, then add Fire Walk With Me (which I have seen, but when I was like 13 and don't remember much of) and then the new Season 3. That about right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cool, just spotted I should watch Missing Pieces too which is something I didn't know so that's good. I've always meant to get around to this and I feel dumb that I didn't do it last year so I could've joined in on s3 as it aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'm in that position too.

• Locked thread