Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

2016 still has an hour left to murder Stephen Fry or Hugh Laurie and really ruin things :ohdear:

Gotta save some poo poo for 2017.

Yeah, sit with that one for a minute.

(I recently discovered A Bit of Fry & Laurie and it single-handedly justifies a SeeSo subscription. I thought Mr. Show was ahead of the curve, these dudes were ahead of...whatever's beyond the road.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So, uh...I'm watching my first episode of Catfish. The one with Catherine and Graham.

I'm pretty sure this was one of the tamer ones (I heard about one where someone thought he was talking to Katy Perry for 6 years, lol), and somehow it still broke my brain. Pretty sure this show's not for me.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy loving poo poo, tonight's Sweet/Vicious.

The show just keeps getting better.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

sbaldrick posted:

The only problem with the show is that it's on MTV and no one pays attention to it.

I was one of the first ones to tell you fuckers about Person of Interest and BoJack Horseman. God as my witness, I will drag you all kicking and screaming into this show if I have to.

EDIT: Considering so many of you praised Jessica Jones for how it handled PTSD and feminist issues, I KNOW this could be your poo poo. I'm not going to deny that it looks like it was made for pocket change but god drat do they come out strong on every other front.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 4, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

gently caress you, DP. gently caress you.

Sold

I was talking to you especially, Rarity. I don't know if I can guarantee you'll like this as much as JJ, but I think you'll be glad you got into it all the same.

EDIT: Do the first two eps in one shot and don't decide it's not for you until you see a character throw up. (Should happen halfway through the first episode.)

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 5, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rocksicles posted:

It literally has the lowest rating on Kodi.

Then I can only assume there's something wrong with the people who vote on Kodi.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

Ok I watched the first episode of Sweet/Vicious and I enjoyed it a lot but DP please tell me this show doesn't present every single male character bar the love interest as a rapist. Please? I'm all for feminist television but no to that.

Come to think of it, that might be an issue. The third episode kind of remedies that through one of its plot twists, and aside from the love interest you've still got Sam from You're the Worst, as well as the campus cop, who's playing a bigger role in the story as of episode 5. Still, the fact that I can't come up with any character names on the fly might give you some agita.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rhyno posted:

How do I watch this show?

The first three episodes are open to anyone in the states: http://www.mtv.com/shows/sweet-vicious/episode-guide

Beyond that, you'll have to either get a cable login, fork over money to Amazon/Apple, or get creative.

EDIT: MTV used to throw episodes of their shows on Hulu 3-4 weeks after they aired, but they haven't done it for this show. Basically they're assholes.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 5, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DivisionPost posted:

Come to think of it, that might be an issue. The third episode kind of remedies that through one of its plot twists, and aside from the love interest you've still got Sam from You're the Worst, as well as the campus cop, who's playing a bigger role in the story as of episode 5. Still, the fact that I can't come up with any character names on the fly might give you some agita.

To add to this: Episode 9 is titled "An Innocent Man".

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Better Off Ted creator Victor Fresco would like to introduce you to a new generation of hurricane-proof zombies, with the help of Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHqT88vu6Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDR7lAamYmo

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

It was kind if hit or miss. I really liked the characters, and the overall arcs were really solid, as well as some of the character bits involved in the procedural cases. But it also had some just loving ridiculous bullshit in terms of trying to outdo CSI with wacky "what the hell happened here" crime scenes. I feel like that kind of poo poo really undermined the show.

See, that's the thing: when you talk about Life you can't look at the crime of the week in a literal fashion. All the murder scenes in that show were staged to be aesthetically and philosophically interesting, realism be damned, in order to reflect the unique world Charlie Crews lived in.* That's why scenes with Crews screaming lines like "DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TOUCH DEATH" while carrying a gun in one hand and an Incan death flag in the other worked so well: because those weird, convoluted murder scenes set the stage for the show in general each week.

(*Insert a pre-emptive "shut the gently caress up about the Prince of Persia episode" here, that was just a poo poo idea in general. Everybody has them.)

Life was a true character-based procedural, in that everything about it, right down to the weekly mysteries, molded itself around the lead character and not the other way around. In fact, I think that's why I like Lucifer so much: it's the only other show that I've seen pull something like that off.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

So thinking about dropping Netflix after this month. Anything good on there? Doesnt seem like it.

Santa Clarita Diet on February 3.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
There's also new MST3K, though that could go either way.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Netflix has the remake of One Day at a Time that just released. Its a multicam so all the cons of that come with that territory, but its better than network multicams, super feminist and has EGOT club Rita Moreno as the abuelita.

I'm watching this right now and it's drat good, but holy poo poo, Moreno looks great for 85.

EDIT: Scratch that, the first episode was straight-up fantastic. Justina Machado crushes it in the lead, the laugh track does a great job of accentuating the comedy without being too overbearing, and the situations it tackles -- at least in the first episode -- feel refreshingly complex. Definitely check this out.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 11, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Confirming, five episodes in: One Day at a Time redux is The Good poo poo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Yer Burnt posted:

I'm only on episode 3 but I read that in episode 9 Schneider gets roasted for wearing a Che Gueverra shirt and I'm looking forward to it.

Oh that just sounds delightful, especially with Machado being some kind of goddess when it comes to busting balls. (Episode 3) All of her "Carmen is a vampire" riffs were beautifully delivered.

BTW, have a look at how awesome Norman Lear is.

quote:

Calderon Kellett: He would come to all the table reads. He would definitely give us thoughts about various episodes. Episode four is a great one because it’s an out of sequence episode. We just felt like that was the best way to tell that story. At first he sat down, he’s like, “Gosh guys, I’m concerned about this episode. I just don’t get it.” The scenes were shorter. We were like, “Please trust us.” He to his credit said, “Okay.” After the first run through where he saw it completely, he was like, “Guys, we need to talk.” Mike and I were like, “Oh boy.”

Royce: He sits us down on the set super dramatically. The crew’s all standing around. I think we were off to the side, but it was like people were waiting for us. We’re just like, “We’re about to get read the riot act or something. We’re not quite sure what’s coming, but it doesn’t sound good.” He goes, “I said from the beginning that this episode wouldn’t work.” There’s a big pause and he goes, “But you live and learn.” He goes, “It came together beautifully.”

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/one-day-at-a-time-netflix-revival-interview/

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 11, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DrVenkman posted:

I wasn't that interested in Amazon's SNEAKY PETE, but after the first episode (from the creator of HOUSE) the show was rejigged with Graham Yost and other JUSTIFIED folks.

Sepinwall saw the whole first season and he really dug it.

quote:

Sneaky Pete [is] an excuse for [co-creator and Season 1 antagonist Bryan] Cranston, Yost, and company to let a small army of their actor friends come in and play — an actors’ workshop about a more criminal version of the profession...It’s not fancy, and it’s not new, but like Cranston whenever he would pop up on someone else’s show in the ’80s and ’90s, it’s better and more satisfying than is needed, or expected.

Sold.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Mu Zeta posted:

All I learned in this thread is that Lemony Snicket is good but no actual reason

Did you like Pushing Daisies? Barry Sonnenfeld, who directed the pilot for that show and set the tone for it, directed half the episodes of Lemony Snicket and brought a lot of the same whimsical design theory to it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Thank you, guys, for getting my rear end on The Mick. I was going to pass after Sepinwall's unenthusiastic review of it, but the first two episodes are great, and the third, "The Buffer," is off the loving rails for a network sitcom. I was won over the minute Mick's skeezy boyfriend started talking about how the age of consent was 16 in Connecticut.

EDIT: The best part is how the two older kids kinda suck in their own ways, so it's kind of satisfying to see them eat poo poo whenever Mick gets involved.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 19, 2017

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rocksicles posted:

Bryan Cranston... playing a stone badass. Don't forget that.

It's subtle, but if you really listen...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The producing director on Sneaky Pete is Michael Dinner, and episodes 3 and 4 were written by Fred Golan and Benjamin Cavell, respectively. And Adam Arkin stepped in to direct Episode 6. Those guys were a huge part of Yost's Justified braintrust, if not THE braintrust; if you liked Justified, it's a good bet you'll be into Sneaky Pete.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Gonna try out Sneaky Pete soon - glad to hear it fits into Yost's body of work well. Hopefully I'll get past Shore's pilot with minimal issues.

I've seen both versions of the pilot; if it helps, Yost & Michael Dinner definitely added some scenes and slightly recalibrated others.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I got you all beat for inane non-problems.

I like to fall asleep with the TV on. After a couple of hours of inactivity, though, Netflix and Amazon's auto-play functionality will cease and require viewer input to continue. Theoretically speaking, this could happen long before my TV's sleep timer goes off.

I challenge you all to tell me why this is an issue if I'm asleep anyway.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I do this too and the bigger issue for me is that sometimes a PS4 will go into sleep mode even though it's right in the middle of something. I believe it only happens with YouTube though, I know we've gone to bed with Netflix on and in the morning realize we've sleep-watched a whole season of something.

I tried switching to podcasts but the ones I listen to are too funny to fall asleep, or too loud for my wife, or both.

That's interesting, because it should go into sleep mode no matter what you're playing. Either way, I'd adjust the power settings so that it can idle for longer while playing media (or even not turn off at all).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Looten Plunder posted:

Is Mad Dogs getting a second season, if so is there a date?

Actually, it's not. Apparently the viewership was there, but Amazon didn't like Shawn Ryan and Chris Cole's pitch for the second season, so they mutually agreed to call it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Looten Plunder posted:

I've seen talk about the new Amazon shows that were picked up in the pilot season being The Tick and some other show with the work Dick in it, but haven't seen anything on the Van Damme show that everyone found hilarious and amazing. Did they pass on it or is it still in the works?

It's going forward because Amazon knows what the gently caress is up.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Hell yeah! Also check out ONCE by the same director.

Said director, John Carney, also did BEGIN AGAIN, with Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley. It might be a little on the twee side for some people ("LET'S RECORD THE ENTIRE ALBUM OUTDOORS! THE CITY IS OUR BACKDROP!"), but it's still goddamn great in its own way. Ruffalo is loving awesome in it. The movie should be on Netflix.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Been meaning to see that. It was funny when Carney got in trouble for talking poo poo about Knightley in an interview lol

Yeah, I still don't know what loving movie he thinks he directed because Knightley seemed just as game as the rest of the cast. Maybe it was like pulling teeth, I don't know, but it was funny how everyone jumped right to her defense as soon as he started talking poo poo. For some reason I'll never forget that, in reference to her having an "entourage," somebody who worked with her tweeted "I think Keira's mom came to set once. She was cool."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

Once is the movie from his oevre (sp?) that you need to see. It's so good.

Oh, I saw Once, it's loving incredible. I'm just saying, Begin Again might also be worth your time.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

e2: Whatever happened to Twee As gently caress? It always mystified me why such an acerbic/bad poster had a name based off the least acerbic musical genres that exists (even the passive-aggressiveness of "The Boy With the Arab Strap" comes off more cute than legitimately throwing shade)

He lost his mind and got permabanned, I forget what for.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rocksicles posted:

Squirrel Girl is one show the Internet would tear a sunder. Every step of the way, it'd be unbearable.

It's Time For Taylor Swift To Weigh In On The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
In all seriousness, I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger on a Netflix Squirrel Girl series when Noted Sexist Douchepacker Ike Perlmutter holds some sway over Marvel TV.

I mean, we've got Jessica Jones, but still.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Pan Dulce posted:

Also, Grundy... jeez. Long way from someone who looks like Olive Oyl's grandmother.

Her sleeping with Archie is hosed up though. He was max 14-15.

It's definitely hosed up, but this happened before on Dawson's Creek, so they're just ticking all the boxes.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Yeah, so Riverdale is pretty loving good. I think I admire it more than I actually like it -- in the sense that I admire the balls it takes to turn a comic known for being a lighthearted romp into a melodramatic teen soap centered around a murder mystery, even if cognitive dissonance has been Archie's thing for a few years now. But I admire it a whole hell of a lot, and I'm very curious where it's going to go.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wandle Cax posted:

Yeah it takes real balls to make a standard issue melodramatic teen soap with, shock! a murder mystery! Real groundbreaking stuff.

It's a 70+ year old property that is being presented in a way that is faithful to the characters but is miles away from its original tone. The changes that were made are the kind that tend to get mocked as cynical studio mandates, but they're being done with sincerity. Yeah, I'd say that takes some minerals.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wandle Cax posted:

It's a 70+ year old comic that's been turned into any other teen soap we've seen 100 times before, I don't see how that's special.

I'm not saying it's special, I'm saying we live in a purist culture where changes to source material are seen as betrayals of that source material. You can say it's Archie and nobody gives a gently caress -- which is part of the point of that fantastic Vulture article that was posted upthread -- but that's still a hell of a lot of history to just ignore, and that takes a certain amount of courage.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Catching up on Lethal Weapon.

How did Matt Miller so thoroughly gently caress up Human Target but get this so right?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I think Riverdale is legitimately good on its own merits. It is formulaic though. I'll give you that. Based on the exactly one episode I've watched.

That one episode -- which I admired and will defend as legitimately intriguing -- was bleeding from the nose and foaming at the mouth from all the pop culture references it was ODing on. That's part and parcel with typical first episode jitters, though; if we get to episode 10 and every fourth line is an awkward 1960s film reference, though, there's gonna be a problem.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You ever read a TV review and then just start laughing uncontrollably halfway through it, because you've been waiting for the show in question and it sounds like it exceeded every unreasonably high expectation you had?

Just me, huh? Makes sense. Here's the start of Alan Sepinwall's take on Legion:

quote:

“I have to know. Is this… is this real?”

So wonders David Haller, the hero of Legion, FX’s new X-Men spin-off series, and it’s a question he asks, or is asked, over and over throughout the show’s pilot episode, which debuts next Wednesday night at 10pm ET.

David, you see, has spent most of his life being told that he’s mentally ill, and has been medicated accordingly. But as the series begins, he starts encountering mysterious people who suggest he’s perfectly healthy, and that what psychiatrists mistook for a disorder was actually the manifestation of David’s vast mutant psychic powers. So as David (Dan Stevens) toggles back and forth between the two explanations for the voices in his head, he understandably keeps wondering if any of this — his powers, his would-be girlfriend Syd (Rachel Keller), best friend Lenny (Aubrey Plaza), and the various alleged forces of light and dark — actually exists.

David’s question is also one I found myself asking often as I raced through the stunning debut episode and the two wonderful hours of TV that follow it. Legion is so strange, so idiosyncratic, so outside the norms of anything we’ve come to expect from modern comic book adaptations, on the big screen or small, that it was hard not to wonder if I was just imagining the whole thing, or if it was an elaborate, expensive prank perpetrated by FX and Fargo creator Noah Hawley, here adapting a relatively obscure X-character introduced in the ’80s by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz.

EDIT: HOLY making GBS threads GOD, READ THAT REVIEW. It sounds like Hawley went all loving in on this one.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Oh, Sepinwall also didn't like Santa Clarita Diet, and I can kinda see why -- especially if you don't buy Timothy Olyphant as a henpecked suburban dude, which he didn't. One episode in, though, I do.

Also, it helps that I'm really into this show's take on un-death: you don't rot, but your id takes over and you do impulsive poo poo. And Barrymore is having a ball with this. "I know: Weirdest foreplay EVER!"

• Locked thread