Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Two Nazis got punched and they're already having an existential crisis and have openly stated that if they can't be in public they can't win. I'm firmly in support of Nazi punching.

Everyone should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Endless Mike posted:

Two Nazis got punched and they're already having an existential crisis and have openly stated that if they can't be in public they can't win. I'm firmly in support of Nazi punching.

Turns out the extreme right are the actual snowflakes who need safe spaces or else they become triggered and literally shake.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Punching a Nazi must be incredibly satisfying.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

Violence is acceptable as a means of excising virulent, existential threats to the common welfare and safety of the people, clear and present dangers to free society, not as a form of enforcing "goodness" or a sustained system of government. Most people who support punching Nazis are also against police brutality and the death penalty. Hth

This isn't really the place to argue it tbh but Trump was elected legally and Richard Spencer was just exercising his right to free speech when he was punched, but when I'm radically opposed to "civil" evil I get called a delusional fascist. I support Nazi punching! Excising virulent existential threats to the common welfare and safety of the people is what I'm all about.

Ergo Judge Dredd is good and cool.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You're less a delusional fascist and more of a callow child, honestly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can legally drink in a few months! :argh:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Like, serious post.

This is the first day in weeks that I actually feel like myself again. Which is such a strange feeling but goddamn if I'm not finding things to smile about today despite all the terrible things hanging over my head right now.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's great Rhyno! Really, good for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Everyone should be.

I know! But a lot of people aren't!

EDIT:

Rhyno posted:

Like, serious post.

This is the first day in weeks that I actually feel like myself again. Which is such a strange feeling but goddamn if I'm not finding things to smile about today despite all the terrible things hanging over my head right now.
Good to hear!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

That's great Rhyno! Really, good for you.

I don't know if it will last but it's really nice to feel like me again.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Like, serious post.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

Like, serious post.

You got to punch a loving Nazi, didn't you?

So drat jealous!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Punching someone for being a nazi isn't a first amendment issue.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

This isn't really the place to argue it tbh but Trump was elected legally and Richard Spencer was just exercising his right to free speech when he was punched, but when I'm radically opposed to "civil" evil I get called a delusional fascist. I support Nazi punching! Excising virulent existential threats to the common welfare and safety of the people is what I'm all about.

Ergo Judge Dredd is good and cool.

Many of us who generally find violence abhorrent have found relatively solid philosophical and ethical grounds to make an exception for nazis. If someone attempts to popularise the idea of committing genocide against an entire race, and has any hope at all of those ideas gaining traction (as they have in the US,) then I would argue that the existential threat they represent to an entire people is at least equal to a direct physical threat against one person. If I would feel comfortable with using violence to stop violence in an immediate, one-on-one situation, then I must feel equally comfortable with an oppressed minority using violence to defend themselves against the views of an individual or group who would see them destroyed just for existing, i.e. punching a recognised spokesperson for the alt-right (read: a loving nazi,) who is well known for musing on the appropriate way to commit genocide against black people.

It's important to remember that, for some people, this is not an abstract or hypothetical situation. If someone were to declare that I and everyone like me must be destroyed, in a setting where people like me were already being murdered by authority figures with astonishing regularity, I would feel entirely justified clocking that someone in the head on live television. If those factors were further compounded by a new head of state who has explicitly sided with the occasionally-murderous authority figures, while adding his own flavours of oppression on top, then an act of violent resistance might cease to be merely justified, and might feel like a necessity.

In short, the punching of Richard Spencer didn't symbolise the use of violence to change the system or enforce an ethical standard, it symbolised a people's struggle to survive in a country that keeps trying to destroy them.

Just my two cents.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If you or anyone else wants to PM me about this I am super down for discussing it but I don't wanna gently caress up the thread.

Then again January is over so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Or you can punch nazis

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

WickedHate posted:

That's exactly how we got the Justice Lords. :colbert:

I'm super salty because ever since Trump was elected and Nazis got punched, now everyone wants to dismantle the democratic process in favor of goodness through forced means like I've been saying for ages. I'm like the mythical seer Cassandra, cursed to always be right but never be believed.

Yes my concern is also the leftist protesters and not the guy who's literally trying to ban Muslims

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

Yes my concern is also the leftist protesters and not the guy who's literally trying to ban Muslims

I'm not sure you're really aware of my position at all. My issue is that protesters haven't been radical enough in their opposition. I have no idea how you got whatever you read into it.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 30, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I think today I am going to read Uncle Sam by Farmall and Ross. It seems timely enough.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's this real underrated book from the eighties called Young All-Stars set during WWII that had a Japanese hero quit the team and join her family in a detainment camp in solidarity. Powerful scene. Still relevant. Should try and get my hands on some copies again some time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
If anyone is losing hope in the USA right now I suggest reading Prez's story in Sandman which can be found in the World's End TPB. Also take hope in the fact that people are protesting and not standing up for this bullshit, and that the ACLU has been receiving record donations (and could always use more money too).

Edit: I forgot to mention that yesterday 6 people were killed in a mosque in Quebec City. While I live on the opposite side of the country as a Canadian this hurts really badly.
Please do me a favour and tell your loved ones that you love them, play with your pets, give food to a homeless person, donate to a charity or do something good today just to remind the world that there is still good out there.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 30, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I should be allowed to define Nazism for the purposes of punching Nazis so I can justify punching people I dislike personally.

I can see no flaw in this plan because I alone possess moral clarity. :smug:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 30, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah its really hard to delineate Nazism, like what if they promote expulsion of certain religions, ethnicities, and sexualities but don't call themselves a Nazi what then

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

Yeah its really hard to delineate Nazism, like what if they promote expulsion of certain religions, ethnicities, and sexualities but don't call themselves a Nazi what then

Republicans need to be punched in the face.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose the closest thing to a Nazi I know personally is this young fellow from my church who has some kind of autism who latched onto these poorly-defined far-right politics as basically his one and only interest.

Since he is a distant relative, my mother says we must all pretend to like him, which can be most trying.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

Republicans need to be punched in the face.

I don't know many American politicians beyond the very prominent ones but my least favourite is Peter King, who's a congressman from Boston and a Republican, because he was a big NORAID guy back in the 1980s then did a prompt about-face after 9/11 and decided that interrogation methods amounting to torture were acceptable when they were being used against the right kind of terrorists.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

site posted:

Kill everyone and let Jack Kirby sort'em out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

"Alt-right"-style Nazis don't call themselves Nazis. Richard Spencer got punched in the middle of explaining that he's not a Neo-Nazi or KKK because "those guys don't like [him]".

Anyone advocating those things is a Nazi.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'm going to let the couple of you who don't seem to know in on a secret.

Republicans are nazis. :aaa:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Endless Mike posted:

"Alt-right"-style Nazis don't call themselves Nazis. Richard Spencer got punched in the middle of explaining that he's not a Neo-Nazi or KKK because "those guys don't like [him]".

Anyone advocating those things is a Nazi.

that was my point yes i was blasting wheat loaf's dumbass argument

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

that was my point yes i was blasting wheat loaf's dumbass argument

Nah, I wasn't making an argument, I was only joking about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's okay to punch fascists even if they don't personally identify as nazis.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I think we should all rely on the words of one of the pre-eminent minds of the civil rights movement.

"We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My surefire way of coping with the terribleness of the world is helping when I can and otherwise ignoring it as hard as possible, to an almost Stepford Wives degree.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't think even the most generous observer would refer to my day-to-day life as "coping"

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Basically I'm just going to run around in a Captain America costume punching people. Then I'll claim those people are Nazis.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's something comics related to feel sad about. Insanely talented artist, Bernie Wrightson, has effectively retired because of limited function due to illness.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/30/legendary-comic-artist-bernie-wrightson-retires-drawing/

quote:

Dear Fans and Friends,

I apologize for our silence for the past few months. Last November Bernie began falling again, and having obvious problems with perception. He had to undergo yet another brain surgery to relieve bleeding, and then spend several weeks undergoing in-patient rehabilitation. Unfortunately, it appears that he has lasting damage: he has extremely limited function on his left side, and is unable to walk or reliably use his left hand, among other limitations.

We have had to come to the sad conclusion that he is now effectively retired: he will produce no new art, and he is unable to attend conventions. Should this situation change I will happily announce it here.

He can still sign his name (in fact he was signing Kickstarter prints in the hospital!), and is otherwise pretty healthy and has good cognition. We expect to continue releasing signed prints, and offering occasional pieces of art for sale from the collection that remains. We both thank all of you for your continuing support and good wishes!

All our best,
Liz and Bernie Wrightson

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

pubic works project posted:

Basically I'm just going to run around in a Captain America costume punching people. Then I'll claim those people are Nazis.

Well captain america is a nazi now so punching random people and deflecting blame would fit

E: ^^^^ drat thats some good art

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

drat I forgot how amazing his stuff is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

One of the greatest of all time. Existing at this point in space and time is so exhausting.

• Locked thread