Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Reed Richards is gone, and nobody can replicate the technology of his wooden gun.

Quentin quire defeats him by saying "You think you're Mag-neato, but you're Mag lame-o!". Magneto cries and falls over from such a sick burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know it's a super iconic example of crazy super hero stuff but the fact that the wood gun BROKE Magneto will always make it my favorite thing. Like it wasn't good enough to just have him go 'oh fuuuuck I was expecting that to be metal, you got me Richards!' The concept of a gun he couldn't magnet up just destroyed Magneto's brain in every possible way.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
So a Hickman Avengers/New Avengers omni is up for preorder, before I commit to that thing I need to know they ordered the issues correctly. I would imagine they wouldn't gently caress it up since they did his FF/F4 right, but I gotta know for sure. Anyone know who you would even ask about that?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I whole comic where Magneto monologues about how badly he is beaten by wood would be the best and worst thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

So a Hickman Avengers/New Avengers omni is up for preorder, before I commit to that thing I need to know they ordered the issues correctly. I would imagine they wouldn't gently caress it up since they did his FF/F4 right, but I gotta know for sure. Anyone know who you would even ask about that?

Try tweeting at Hickman and/or Tom Brevoort. Pretty sure Hickman confirmed the F4/FF omnibu were being printed in correct reading order before they came out.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

The good guys win when a bunch of super geniuses invent a new element, and Magneto's ignorance of it means he can't control it and they use it to punch him in the face. It's highly unstable though, so whoever wears the Infinitum Gauntlet is sacrificing themselves to the incredible radiation. Nobody who is immune to radiation volunteers because every event needs a body count.

Like Fallout 3!

One of the neat things Irredeemable did was reveal that the evil Superman's powers were actually reality warping on a grand scale and he was only "restricted" to Superman powers because he didn't realize this.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Reed Richards would confront him with a wooden gun, and it would leave Magneto so spiritually and mentally broken he agrees to come quietly.

God, I loving love that whole sequence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know it's a super iconic example of crazy super hero stuff but the fact that the wood gun BROKE Magneto will always make it my favorite thing. Like it wasn't good enough to just have him go 'oh fuuuuck I was expecting that to be metal, you got me Richards!' The concept of a gun he couldn't magnet up just destroyed Magneto's brain in every possible way.

Yeah, and even after he learns that the gun is made of wood and he still has his powers, he's so crushed he just sits in the back of the police car and goes to jail (presumably forever, because he never shows up again).

I also love the bit at the start where he's heading for New York in this hover car and stops to ask how to get to the Baxter Building at a service station, and the attendant is more shocked that the car doesn't need gas than he is that the infamous supervillain Magneto just stopped to ask him directions.

"When I get mad... things begin to happen!"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Like Fallout 3!

One of the neat things Irredeemable did was reveal that the evil Superman's powers were actually reality warping on a grand scale and he was only "restricted" to Superman powers because he didn't realize this.

God, I loving love that whole sequence.

I swear his second mutation is describing everything that goes on his life.

"I, Magneto, master of magnetism, will now use the lavatory to relieve myself while admiring my magnetic abilities that have been granted on me by nature. for I am Magneto, the most powerful mutant to have ever lived"

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

WickedHate posted:

I, however, hate this. It's clever way to explain something that doesn't need to be explained. Like tactile-telekinesis, or Cyclop's having eyes that are portals to a laser dimension, or whatever. Sometimes it can be great, but usually just takes me out of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thanks a lot, JMS.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

Try tweeting at Hickman and/or Tom Brevoort. Pretty sure Hickman confirmed the F4/FF omnibu were being printed in correct reading order before they came out.

I actually did tweet at Brevoort and he said to try someone in the collections department so I'm gonna try and track someone down. If I can't find anyone I'll prob tweet at Hickman.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks a lot, JMS.

I like that he thinks MRA and feminists are the same thing at all.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Is that a quote from Superman Grounded or something?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is that a quote from Superman Grounded or something?

It's a rather popular Captain America quote, most recently reused in Civil War, where it was uttered by Sharon Carter instead of Cap.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's a Captain America quote.

Also, he says he's not an MRA but then says he's anti-egalitarian as if that's an entirely different thing??

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He probably views MRAs as not anti-egalitarian enough.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MRAs don't view MRAs as anti-egalitarian. They're obviously wrong, but I'm betting this guy's views are a lot closer to an MRA's than not.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He probably views MRAs and feminists as opposites, one advocating the superiority of men vs. the other advocating the superiority of women. Only he is enlightened enough to understand that true equality lies somewhere in the middle

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

purple death ray posted:

He probably views MRAs and feminists as opposites, one advocating the superiority of men vs. the other advocating the superiority of women. Only he is enlightened enough to understand that true equality lies somewhere in the middle

He' seems like a typical South Park "the truth is in the middle (which is pretty far right!)" guy. Both Feminists and MRA are wrong, but the "right" position is 5 inches to the left of the MRAs.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

"He is a truth is in the middle guy." *ignores first half of tweeter profile blurb*

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Apparently they came out in October, but I somehow did not see them until today when I dropped a package off--the USPS has a series of Wonder Woman stamps that look very cool and I done bought a sheet for myself. A shame the entire Post-Crisis era up to the New52 was skipped :(

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 4, 2017

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

redbackground posted:

Apparently they came out in October, but I somehow did not see them until today when I dropped a package off--the USPS has a series of Wonder Woman stamps that look very cool and I done bought a sheet for myself. A shame the entire era between the end of Crisis to the New52 was skipped :(

Isn't the Bronze Age one more or less what she wore during the post-COIE/pre-N52 era?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

Isn't the Bronze Age one more or less what she wore during the post-COIE/pre-N52 era?

Pretty much (pre-Crisis tiara only had one point at the top, Post-Crisis had one at the bottom too) but I think an additional row would have been a nice opportunity to bring in something from either Bolland, Perez, Jimenez, Paquette, Hughes, Dodson, Mahnke, or N. Scott.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

redbackground posted:

Pretty much (pre-Crisis tiara only had one point at the top, Post-Crisis had one at the bottom too) but I think an additional row would have been a nice opportunity to bring in something from either Bolland, Perez, Jimenez, Paquette, Hughes, Dodson, Mahnke, or N. Scott.

Perez or Jimenez would have been awesome!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

redbackground posted:

Apparently they came out in October, but I somehow did not see them until today when I dropped a package off--the USPS has a series of Wonder Woman stamps that look very cool and I done bought a sheet for myself. A shame the entire Post-Crisis era up to the New52 was skipped :(

stamps in 2017

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

stamps in 2017

I still have to mail my water bill every month!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Like, with a cheque inside or something? Barbaric.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Like, with a cheque inside or something? Barbaric.

Yes! It's the worst!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

redbackground posted:

Yes! It's the worst!

no electronic pay? dear lord what hell do you live in?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

no electronic pay? dear lord what hell do you live in?

The sticks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I finally got around to reading Love is Love and golly my room needs a really, really good dusting.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

My power company charges a $5 "convenience fee" to pay online. I figure it costs them more to actually cash my check so gently caress those guys.

Also Paolo Rivera said earlier this week he received his comps for the WW stamps so my guess is they were "released" in October but unavailable until the last couple weeks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the earliest story where magic is explicitly identified as something Superman can't defend against? Further to that, when did magic become an explicit "weakness" for him (i.e. "the only things that can stop Superman are kryptonite, red sun radiation and magic") rather than just something he was no more invulnerable to than any normal person?

Just think how in Infinite Crisis, there's a bit where Black Adam lays into Superboy-Prime and each of his punches has lightning strikes to accompany them and Superboy-Prime's going, "THE MAGIC! IT HURTS!" when surely what's hurting him is that he's getting hit by a guy who also has super strength. Obviously, it's that old "Johnsian literalism" thing people joke about, but what's the root of it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A bunch of places say it started with the Silver Age rewriting of his origin but none has a specific issue.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't mind control something he was portrayed as being particularly susceptible to for a while as well? When I was younger I had one of those DK ultimate guides for Superman, and it mentioned mind control as one of his main weaknesses.

(It was published in 2004 or 2005 or so - I think it was meant to promote Superman Returns - and it's pretty odd in retrospect because it basically covered Post-Crisis onwards, so there was little to no coverage of Silver Age stuff but double-page spreads for characters like Encantadora, Dominus and the General Zod who was this Balkan war criminal who got powers from red sunlight.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah Superman isn't especially resistant to telepathy either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Superman is exactly as resistant to mind-control/telepath as any other strong-willed individual.

Remember when Max Lord had control of him right before Infinite Crisis, even then he wasn't really in full control so much as making him see things different than they were. (I want to say he had him believing Wonder Woman was Doomsday?)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

Superman is exactly as resistant to mind-control/telepath as any other strong-willed individual.

Remember when Max Lord had control of him right before Infinite Crisis, even then he wasn't really in full control so much as making him see things different than they were. (I want to say he had him believing Wonder Woman was Doomsday?)

That happened in an episode of Justice League, too. Superman and Wonder Woman had a brutal, kind of scary fight before they saw each other in a mirror and realized what was going on.

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the earliest story where magic is explicitly identified as something Superman can't defend against? Further to that, when did magic become an explicit "weakness" for him (i.e. "the only things that can stop Superman are kryptonite, red sun radiation and magic") rather than just something he was no more invulnerable to than any normal person?

If you see a story where Superman is flat out weak to magic and not just something that affects him like it effects everyone else, that's just bad, inconsistent writing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, Lord makes him see Doomsday killing Lois, then sets him on Wonder Woman thinking she's Doomsday. Previously, he'd been brainwashed to see Batman as either Darkseid or Brainiac, and he beat the crap out of him.

He also saw him as Ruin, but he was only depicted fighting him on a cover, IIRC, and he only talks about seeing him in the story. Remember Ruin? Emil Hamilton's secret identity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

If you see a story where Superman is flat out weak to magic and not just something that affects him like it effects everyone else, that's just bad, inconsistent writing.

That's about the whole of it. A magic sword can cut him, but it won't hurt him any more than it hurts anyone else. It's been said that Shazam has a slight edge on Superman in a fistfight because his strength is fuelled by magic, but it's still a mostly even match.

• Locked thread