Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I remember an explanation, but I don't remember if it was here, Tumblr, or some other place on the internet where it basically explained it in terms of Pokemon.

Superman is resistant to most types of damage, except magic which does normal damage, and kryptonite which is super-effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I would not at all be surprised if it was Chris Sims.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Roth posted:

I remember an explanation, but I don't remember if it was here, Tumblr, or some other place on the internet where it basically explained it in terms of Pokemon.

Superman is resistant to most types of damage, except magic which does normal damage, and kryptonite which is super-effective.

Steel has the most resistances and Kryptonite would be a Rock type. Superman being a flying/steel makes sense.

According to Google Skarmory is the only one. Someone do an art where it evolves into Superman once it takes off its glasses.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Chaos Hippy posted:

That's about the whole of it. A magic sword can cut him, but it won't hurt him any more than it hurts anyone else. It's been said that Shazam has a slight edge on Superman in a fistfight because his strength is fuelled by magic, but it's still a mostly even match.

Captain Marvel/Shazam was owning Superman pretty hard in Kingdom Come.

The whole point of magic sword vs regular sword is that a regular sword wouldn't cut Superman while a magic sword would. The magic part just makes Superman vulnerable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I don't get why 'the sword would hurt him as much as anyone else' is a weak thing. Swords hurt people really fuckin well. The entire point of the magic sword making Superman treat a sword like a normal person would is that swords tend to kill normal people really easy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Captain Marvel/Shazam was owning Superman pretty hard in Kingdom Come.
That's because he kept zapping him with magic lightning over and over. They're pretty evenly matched otherwise.

Anyway, we're getting into the active vs. passive magic thing that gets confusing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You know what I miss that I thought maybe was coming back a couple years back? Marvel doing crossover stories in annuals. There was a good one with Spider-Man, The Inhumans, and Captain America. And then another with Nova, Iron Man, and the X-Men. I loved the ones they used to do in the '90s. They were never high quality reads but they were often fun. Stuff like Atlantis Attacks, Terminus Factor, Korvac Quest, Kings of Pain, Citizen Kang, and so on.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I don't get why 'the sword would hurt him as much as anyone else' is a weak thing. Swords hurt people really fuckin well. The entire point of the magic sword making Superman treat a sword like a normal person would is that swords tend to kill normal people really easy.

That's entirely correct. We're only specifying "as vulnerable as anyone else" in contrast to kryptonite, which will gently caress him up just from being in the vicinity. With a magic sword you still have make the effort of running him through.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It still makes no sense to me that a magic sword would cut a guy who's invulnerable to bullets if it can't already cut through tanks or whatever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Magic makes sense in the way that you need a weakness for a being who is pretty much invulnerable, otherwise there wouldn't be a threat to him. Think of magic as something that breaks his super-invulnarable shield. Magic bullets would probably hurt him too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

But there's no reason for him to have such a weakness. It makes sense if you say "You can turn him into a bunny same as anyone", but there's nothing about Superman's powers that has anything to do with magic, so there's no shield for magic bullets to pierce through. The weakness never made sense, and is dumb.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You're confusing the answer.

The question isn't why is Superman weak to magic. The question is why do you think he wouldn't be? Everyone else who doesn't have magic powers is too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak's complaint isn't about magic. It's about magical items. It's a perfectly reasonable complaint and the answer is: it's comics shut up and stop complaining.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Actually I think his complaint is mostly that you have to explicitly show the magical item loving up a tank because you can't have magic inconsistently obey the laws of physics somehow.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

But there's no reason for him to have such a weakness. It makes sense if you say "You can turn him into a bunny same as anyone", but there's nothing about Superman's powers that has anything to do with magic, so there's no shield for magic bullets to pierce through. The weakness never made sense, and is dumb.

He's more powerful than a locomotive and so are magic swords. It's pretty clear.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

What if tanks are strong against magic because their steel armour plating contains iron particles, which as we all know protects against ensorcellment and canonically acts as a kryptonite for the Seelie and their magic within the DC universe.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lurdiak posted:

The magic property in this case is "this item is now enchanted so it can cut anything", at which point Superman's invulnerability looks at the enchantment and goes "well it says anything", shrugs, and gets cut.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Could Thor's hammer do any serious damage against Superman?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Thor wins in Marvel universe, Superman wins in DC universe.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Read JLA/Avengers. It was a good fight.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

Read JLA/Avengers. It was a good fight.

I am trying to remember it (and I should re-read it) but the only fight I remember was the Batman vs Cap America fight which felt a bit like a cop out as far as fights go.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Madkal posted:

I am trying to remember it (and I should re-read it) but the only fight I remember was the Batman vs Cap America fight which felt a bit like a cop out as far as fights go.

DC Vs. Marvel and JLA/Avengers are two different events, if you're thinking about Cap fighting Batman in the sewers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

DC Vs. Marvel and JLA/Avengers are two different events, if you're thinking about Cap fighting Batman in the sewers.

Never read DC vs Marvel, just JLA/Avengers in which Batman and Cap size each other up and decide to call it a draw.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chaos Hippy posted:

That's entirely correct. We're only specifying "as vulnerable as anyone else" in contrast to kryptonite, which will gently caress him up just from being in the vicinity. With a magic sword you still have make the effort of running him through.

fair point there yea, there is still that level of scaling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A magic sword that is infinitely sharp due to magic can cut Superman.

A magic sword that's simply on fire should do nothing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

That's my interpretation too, but I think people generally get lazy, see magic, and go "Superman loses then". Basically my view is that magic overwrites reality, and Superman has no protection against that. So what the magic says goes, but what the magic says is important. If the magic says "you are unconcious now", Superman gets knocked the gently caress out. But if the magic says "I'm making this dude really strong", well, that doesn't do much because Superman gets punched by really strong dudes all the time and it hurts about the same no matter if Doomsday or Ares is the guy doing the punching.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I saw Superman get bit by just a regular vampire one time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also to go back a few steps, Superman is often depicted as not especially resistant to sonic attacks either.

It makes sense, since if you find Superman's frequency you're causing his body to vibrate and tear itself apart.

Similarly Superman should also be vulnerable to aikido.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

X-O posted:

You know what I miss that I thought maybe was coming back a couple years back? Marvel doing crossover stories in annuals. There was a good one with Spider-Man, The Inhumans, and Captain America. And then another with Nova, Iron Man, and the X-Men. I loved the ones they used to do in the '90s. They were never high quality reads but they were often fun. Stuff like Atlantis Attacks, Terminus Factor, Korvac Quest, Kings of Pain, Citizen Kang, and so on.

That crossover was great fun. I was thinking of this one the other day. Its called 'Inhuman error' and I thought a neat way to show off the new inhuman characters, Plus a story fighting a crazy flying fortress of bird people is always fun.

http://marvel.com/comics/collection/56476/amazing_spider-maninhumanall-new_captain_america_inhuman_error_trade_paperback

Its also $1.78/£1.49 on amazon us/uk kindle and £2.99 on comicology so if any of you havnt read it now seems a good time.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

One suggestion I've heard is that while magic can bypass Superman's invulnerability (frequently characterised as a skintight invisible force field,) it doesn't change the fact that his superpowered body has far greater density than a human. So even if the magical property of a sword is specifically "can cut Superman," it still has to overcome his natural durability. If you'll permit a bit of wild speculation, it could be that his natural durability is essentially his Golden Age invulnerability, when "nothing short of an exploding shell" could hurt him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Superman is not any denser than a fit human of his height.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

He might have been, at some point. It's hard to keep up. I also don't know if the skintight forcefield explanation for his invulnerability is still valid.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wizard calculated Superman<Thor<Silver Surfer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Magic beats the shields but it still cuts like it would on a regular human

Seems simple enough

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Wizard calculated Superman<Thor<Silver Surfer.

Ahem:

Superman<Thor<Silver Surfer<Black Panther's Armlock

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thor doesn't need a yellow sun to be Thor tho

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

X-O posted:

Those were great. I also loved the Summer Specials, Winter Specials, etc. A bunch of stories featuring different characters, some of which you wouldn't normally read.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Madkal posted:

Could Thor's hammer do any serious damage against Superman?

Yes, because it's a very big hammer and Thor is going to be hitting him with it really hard.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Couldn't Thor just punch Superman down and then put Mjolnir on him? If Superman can lift Mjolnir, Thor's hosed but he would've been hosed anyway if that was the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Yes, because it's a very big hammer and Thor is going to be hitting him with it really hard.

There also may be magical lightning and KRAKATHOOMs being thrown around, and those can sting too.

• Locked thread