Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Actually we still have about 7 hours left of this lovely year. You just jinxed everything.

Edit: best annual was the elseworld annual for Legends of the Dark Knight called citizen Wayne and imagined Batman in the movie of Citizen Kane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr Hootington posted:

Too bad this is the last year for annuals. 🤓

My favorite annual is the bloodlines annuals because I haven't read them and they sound like batshit insane crap.

The bloodshot annuals scared the gently caress out of me as a kid so boooooo

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I whole comic where Magneto monologues about how badly he is beaten by wood would be the best and worst thing.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Like Fallout 3!

One of the neat things Irredeemable did was reveal that the evil Superman's powers were actually reality warping on a grand scale and he was only "restricted" to Superman powers because he didn't realize this.

God, I loving love that whole sequence.

I swear his second mutation is describing everything that goes on his life.

"I, Magneto, master of magnetism, will now use the lavatory to relieve myself while admiring my magnetic abilities that have been granted on me by nature. for I am Magneto, the most powerful mutant to have ever lived"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Chaos Hippy posted:

That's about the whole of it. A magic sword can cut him, but it won't hurt him any more than it hurts anyone else. It's been said that Shazam has a slight edge on Superman in a fistfight because his strength is fuelled by magic, but it's still a mostly even match.

Captain Marvel/Shazam was owning Superman pretty hard in Kingdom Come.

The whole point of magic sword vs regular sword is that a regular sword wouldn't cut Superman while a magic sword would. The magic part just makes Superman vulnerable.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Magic makes sense in the way that you need a weakness for a being who is pretty much invulnerable, otherwise there wouldn't be a threat to him. Think of magic as something that breaks his super-invulnarable shield. Magic bullets would probably hurt him too.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Could Thor's hammer do any serious damage against Superman?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

Read JLA/Avengers. It was a good fight.

I am trying to remember it (and I should re-read it) but the only fight I remember was the Batman vs Cap America fight which felt a bit like a cop out as far as fights go.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

DC Vs. Marvel and JLA/Avengers are two different events, if you're thinking about Cap fighting Batman in the sewers.

Never read DC vs Marvel, just JLA/Avengers in which Batman and Cap size each other up and decide to call it a draw.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

When I saw your post I was hoping you meant "has opinions about anime" instead of real life pedo. drat
I really love Mosaic and I would still recommend it to anyone looking for excellent comics (just ignore the pedo who write it)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Today I took every Gerard Jones comic I could find in the back issues (all six of them) and threw them in the garbage.

On the one hand Mosaic is so so so good, but on the other hand gently caress that guy

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Zachack posted:

That's nice and all but I, and I assume Gros, have the first two collections on our shelves and want the rest that way. At least Vertigo books seem to make it out, although I half expect the Unwritten deluxes to stop after a couple.

Feel my pain. I am still waiting for DC to release volume 2 of Moench/Jones' Batman.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lol since Trump started a Twitter war with Lewis March sales have gone through the roof.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

We all gotta find our therapy somewhere bro.

Also I have many opinions that people still need to hear despite my grief.

Sorry to hear about your loss. If it makes you feel better feel free to tell us your feelings on John Byrne.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I got two pairs of jeans. Work jeans and party jeans. Unfortunately for my work jeans, every day is party jeans day.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It always amazes me how good an artist Kieth can be when he wants to be.

Also Nick Cave is awesome, you lucky bastard.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

purple death ray posted:

Sam Keith is always good, fucker

I love about 99% of Kieth art, especially the more cartoonish/bizarre stuff, but he is also capable of stuff like this once in a while

Still I put Kieth in the same category as Kelly Jones as one of my fave artists when they do something that they care about.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I believe that is Howard Chaykin.

Dang it. Alright, Kieth is awesome all the time then.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Haha. When did you associate that with him?

I think it was brought up a loooooooooong time ago in the post the best art/ugly art whatever thread and I guess that panel must have gotten posted around the time people were discussing Kieth and my brain must have combined the two things.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and concerns. I should clarify that I am not depressed. I am just incredibly upset that my once very close friend was so violently taken from this world. I might be slightly traumatized from seeing her in the coffin as well. My girlfriend has set up a time with her therapist for next week so maybe I can sort out some of these mental issues.

Definitely worth it and I recommend talking to your friends/family (if you are close to them) as well. Just talk.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you can't read comics while on the toilet what is the point of reading comics at all! I said that a long time ago and I still stand by this statement today.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
You would think he would have some kind of secret identity or something.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

Don't watch the show :)

With not much on last night I watched an episode. Lucifer is one strange show. They basically made him the mentalist and while I didn't mind the actors I really didn't get the impression that Lucifer was....well Lucifer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Clearly the 6 year olds need to read Ostrander's Suicide Squad which had the best portrayal of Dr. Light ever.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

I mean technically in the comics Doctor Light was just an ineffectual Justice League villain starting in 1962, then sort of got adopted as the ineffectual Teen Titans villain with the idea that maybe he couldn't stop the adults, but teenagers wouldn't stand a chance. He kept on losing to progressively weaker teams/characters until he was literally defeated by non-superhero children in a backup story.

Then in the 1980s he joined the Suicide Squad because he wanted to actually succeed at something and be liked, but instead he just ends up dying.

Then he comes back in the 1990s as a being of pure light who is mad at having been a joke and then dying and no one really caring.

*THEN* from 2006-2010 Brad Meltzer/Dan DiDio/etc. decide to retcon that he was originally a vicious murderer and rapist who got brain damaged in an attempted brainwashing which is why he kept losing to the Teen Titans. Now that his memory is restored, he really likes raping people AND he wants to rape teenagers. Then he dies yet again.

Then he hasn't been a rapist in any of the weird N52/cartoon/etc. versions, so he's really only been a sexual predator for about five years late in his 50+ year existence as a fictional character. It's *probably* something they could politely pave over with enough time/effort.

Deathstroke though

I thought according the Suicide Squad Dr. Light was originally a hero but then someone killed the original hero and used the Dr. Light stuff to become a villain (who ends up getting haunted by the original hero Dr. Light).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If anyone reads the latest Saga and doesn't feel anything, they are officially dead. Like probably have no heartbeat or pulse, which leads me to question on they read the comic in the first place.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

That was a retcon in Suicide Squad, yes. But that "first" "good" Doctor Light never actually appeared in any stories prior to having been revealed as a ghost years later.

Thanks for the clarification. Just read that issue recently and thought it made for a humourous origin story.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

No, I don't think they did it because of a Toys R Us shopping spree.

I don't know man. I know a few people who went to Toys R Us only to end up setting a bunch of ants to kill their wives. I thought it was quite normal really.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gavok posted:

The other day I went to Sundance because my brother wrote and directed a movie they were showing called Patti Cake$, about an overweight white girl from the Jersey suburbs who wants to be a rap star. Movie rules, there's a lot of good buzz coming out of it and Fox Searchlight already bought the distribution rights for $10.5 million, so check that poo poo out when it hits theaters.

Anyway, to make this on-topic, the lead actress Danielle MacDonald is getting a lot of critical acclaim and I can't help but want to see her be Faith when they get around to doing a Harbinger movie.

So by knowing you am I one degree separated from famous people?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I know we talked about this image in a thread some time back, but I don't remember when, or which thread.

Snopes found it to be a legitimate thing, not something new:
http://www.snopes.com/superman-1950-poster-diversity/

Does anyone know where I could find a high-quality version of this image to blow up and print out? Or is this as good as it gets? I wish they sold it as a poster, honestly.

Typical coming from an illegal alien like Superman.

Kidding. This is just proof that Supes wouldn't tolerate whatever the gently caress it is that America is doing to itself.
gently caress even Luthor would have been more subtle in his evilness.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think today I am going to read Uncle Sam by Farmall and Ross. It seems timely enough.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If anyone is losing hope in the USA right now I suggest reading Prez's story in Sandman which can be found in the World's End TPB. Also take hope in the fact that people are protesting and not standing up for this bullshit, and that the ACLU has been receiving record donations (and could always use more money too).

Edit: I forgot to mention that yesterday 6 people were killed in a mosque in Quebec City. While I live on the opposite side of the country as a Canadian this hurts really badly.
Please do me a favour and tell your loved ones that you love them, play with your pets, give food to a homeless person, donate to a charity or do something good today just to remind the world that there is still good out there.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 30, 2017

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's something comics related to feel sad about. Insanely talented artist, Bernie Wrightson, has effectively retired because of limited function due to illness.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/30/legendary-comic-artist-bernie-wrightson-retires-drawing/

Honestly the best horror artist ever. Corben comes a close second but Bernie's stuff was in another hemisphere.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Who is going to pick up the task of doing next months chat thread? I would do it but I would just end posting pictures of puppies in the OP and the thread should probably start off by celebrating black characters and comic book writers/artists.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Skwirl posted:

This needs to be in the OP

I don't know why but its the Marvel.com watermark that really sells it for me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
New chat thread here. Sorry for the lack of effort post but I am going with about 4 hours sleep and a very tired/sore body right now. Stupid floor hockey.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I already made one, jerk!

Well mine had that note from McDuffie so clearly it is better!

Kidding aside I will rock paper scissors you to see which thread stays. Just tell me what you pick and I will tell you what I picked after.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Fake news!

You're just lucky that I didn't add a picture of the Black Bomber due to sheer laziness.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

No Mods No Peace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

site posted:

With all the forums drama recently I read this and thought he got the boot

There's been forums drama lately?