Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
New Mutants Annual #3 is one of my favourite single issues of any comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also like Fantastic Four Annual #1 where Namor invades New York.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

RevKrule posted:

It gave us such great characters as X-Cutioner, Bloodwraith, Wildstreak, Darkling and Cadre. It also gave us the best character in comics, ADAM X!

Bloodwraith has been trapped within the borders of a small Balkan country where Ultron killed everybody for almost 20 years at this point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking recently, if they made an Expendables where they fight a gang of supervillains who have teamed up to conquer the world, who would be the leader of the villains: Malcolm McDowell or Jeremy Irons?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I imagine that in this hypothetical movie, all of the henchmen would be clones of Tim Roth and Mark Strong.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

Can't wait for the final fight with cg malkovich face on some 20something kickboxer body

He tears open his shirt and all of a sudden he's Bill Goldberg.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Reed Richards would confront him with a wooden gun, and it would leave Magneto so spiritually and mentally broken he agrees to come quietly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I know it's a super iconic example of crazy super hero stuff but the fact that the wood gun BROKE Magneto will always make it my favorite thing. Like it wasn't good enough to just have him go 'oh fuuuuck I was expecting that to be metal, you got me Richards!' The concept of a gun he couldn't magnet up just destroyed Magneto's brain in every possible way.

Yeah, and even after he learns that the gun is made of wood and he still has his powers, he's so crushed he just sits in the back of the police car and goes to jail (presumably forever, because he never shows up again).

I also love the bit at the start where he's heading for New York in this hover car and stops to ask how to get to the Baxter Building at a service station, and the attendant is more shocked that the car doesn't need gas than he is that the infamous supervillain Magneto just stopped to ask him directions.

"When I get mad... things begin to happen!"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the earliest story where magic is explicitly identified as something Superman can't defend against? Further to that, when did magic become an explicit "weakness" for him (i.e. "the only things that can stop Superman are kryptonite, red sun radiation and magic") rather than just something he was no more invulnerable to than any normal person?

Just think how in Infinite Crisis, there's a bit where Black Adam lays into Superboy-Prime and each of his punches has lightning strikes to accompany them and Superboy-Prime's going, "THE MAGIC! IT HURTS!" when surely what's hurting him is that he's getting hit by a guy who also has super strength. Obviously, it's that old "Johnsian literalism" thing people joke about, but what's the root of it?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't mind control something he was portrayed as being particularly susceptible to for a while as well? When I was younger I had one of those DK ultimate guides for Superman, and it mentioned mind control as one of his main weaknesses.

(It was published in 2004 or 2005 or so - I think it was meant to promote Superman Returns - and it's pretty odd in retrospect because it basically covered Post-Crisis onwards, so there was little to no coverage of Silver Age stuff but double-page spreads for characters like Encantadora, Dominus and the General Zod who was this Balkan war criminal who got powers from red sunlight.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endless Mike posted:

Superman is exactly as resistant to mind-control/telepath as any other strong-willed individual.

Remember when Max Lord had control of him right before Infinite Crisis, even then he wasn't really in full control so much as making him see things different than they were. (I want to say he had him believing Wonder Woman was Doomsday?)

Yeah, Lord makes him see Doomsday killing Lois, then sets him on Wonder Woman thinking she's Doomsday. Previously, he'd been brainwashed to see Batman as either Darkseid or Brainiac, and he beat the crap out of him.

He also saw him as Ruin, but he was only depicted fighting him on a cover, IIRC, and he only talks about seeing him in the story. Remember Ruin? Emil Hamilton's secret identity?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Well that's a very thorough answer, wow.

I bet Wheat Loaf didn't expect that.

Indeed not. Many thanks to Benito for satisfying my curiosity so thoroughly.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Bingo. I'm getting tired of DC doing this too, they did it with "Bwahahaha" era JLI, they did it with Moench/Jones Batman, I hope they don't with Waid's Flash but they better not.

Volume two is solicited for later this year and I think it has cover art and everything. Whether it'll get past that remains to be seen but they've done a fairly good job of keeping the Ostrander Suicide Squad going. I believe they're also publishing the Starman Vol. 4 omnibus in paperback after all, having previously indicated that they wouldn't be. The second Wonder Woman by George Pérez omnibus is due out soon.

One thing Marvel's had in the past that DC has lacked is a TPB line they can use to release creator-focused or run-focused reprint collections. Marvel used to have the Visionaries line (e.g. Hulk Visionaries for Peter David, Fantastic Four Visionaries for John Byrne, Thor Visionaries for Walter Simonson, Excalibur Visionaries for Alan Davis) and the Classic line (e.g. Thunderbolts Classic, New Mutants Classic, New Warriors Classic, Deadpool Classic), and they currently have the Epic Collection line (which continues to expand) and more bespoke multi-volume creator-focused releases (e.g. Guardians of the Galaxy by Jim Valentino, Black Panther by Christopher Priest etc.).

DC sometimes does the latter sort (provided your name is Geoff Johns) but they don't have any kind of "Superman Visionaries: Elliot S! Maggin" or "Flash Visionaries: Cary Bates" or "The Power of Shazam Classic" or anything like that. On the whole they seem a bit more scattershot. What DC seems to be going in for is releasing collections which correspond to "age". They've got Golden Age and Silver Age omnibuses (and corresponding trade paperback editions) for Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, the Justice League and many others. They're putting out a Bronze Age Justice League Vol. 1 omnibus later this year that I'm looking forward to.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Roth posted:

New Teen Titans is still getting new trades put out as well. It would be really nice if they didn't release five months apart though.

It's better than the mess that the omnibuses ended up in.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Consider this your trigger warning!" was a funny line.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Rage was an attempt at a Billy Batson Captail Marvel type character where it's a kid who transforms into an adult. Darkhawk was the same way, and was around at the same time. They both ended up in the New Warriors, where Rage got a better costume.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was reading Fantagraphics' latest Don Rosa collection the other day, and as great as they are, the one thing that sometimes takes me out of it is that I can't imagine Donald saying some of his dialogue in his Donald Duck voice. Not so much with the nephews, for whatever reason. Just Donald. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Oh, the animated voice has never worked for Barks or Rosa's dialogue. I don't even bother trying to imagine it. In my head, Comic Donald sounds like a Mel Blanc character (not quite Daffy, but not very far, either).

Maybe sort of like Sylvester?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think I should be allowed to define Nazism for the purposes of punching Nazis so I can justify punching people I dislike personally.

I can see no flaw in this plan because I alone possess moral clarity. :smug:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 30, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose the closest thing to a Nazi I know personally is this young fellow from my church who has some kind of autism who latched onto these poorly-defined far-right politics as basically his one and only interest.

Since he is a distant relative, my mother says we must all pretend to like him, which can be most trying.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Hootington posted:

Republicans need to be punched in the face.

I don't know many American politicians beyond the very prominent ones but my least favourite is Peter King, who's a congressman from Boston and a Republican, because he was a big NORAID guy back in the 1980s then did a prompt about-face after 9/11 and decided that interrogation methods amounting to torture were acceptable when they were being used against the right kind of terrorists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

site posted:

that was my point yes i was blasting wheat loaf's dumbass argument

Nah, I wasn't making an argument, I was only joking about.

• Locked thread