Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Gerard Jones wrote quite a bit of stuff for Marvel and DC in the early/mid 1990s, most significantly Green Lantern/GL Mosiac/Guy Gardner, several years of Justice League Europe (first with Giffen, then solo), the whole of Wonder Man's solo series and a big chunk of Marvel 2099, then he was a co-founder of the Ultraverse line where the majority of his "young hero" stuff came out in the form of Prime and Freex.

He spent the back half of the 1990s/early 2000s mostly doing localization for manga, and put out a couple of books in the 2000s: Men of Tomorrow, which is one of the better pop non-fiction histories of the comics industry, and Killing Monsters, which is probably the thing (aside from Prime maybe but I remember Prime handling the whole "teenager in a man's body" thing more tastefully than say Johns's JSA) that will be the grossest to read in hindsight after all of this stuff, as it's a non-fiction treatise on how fantasy violence and monsters are an invaluable part of childhood, allowing youngsters to process and cope with fear and trauma. It's been awhile since I read it, but in addition to citing third party research and conducting interviews with psychologists and educators, I remember a fair bit of "Jones runs workshops and interviews with little kids on how they consume media" in the text too.

I always felt Jones was a bit of an unsung talent of 1990s comics, though I haven't revisited much of his work in the present. I read and enjoyed both of his non-fiction books though. It's terrible that this is how many modern readers are first hearing about him, and this obviously taints (or destroys) any appreciation of his work people may have.

(Still less of a creep than that Alan Moore though, am I right?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Well, sort of. Supposedly Rob doesn't actually own any of his Extreme/Maximum stuff anymore.
What's this based on? At least as of the most recent "Extreme" book published (Prophet Earth War #6, November 2016) the copyright page says everything is C/TM "Rob Liefeld" and that book contains characters from Prophet and Youngblood and etc.

Also the movie deal announced last week describes the option being sold by Rob Liefeld.

I know that the sequence from Image to Maximum to Awesome to Arcade to whatever may have been in part to run from creditors, but at no point did I ever hear that he lost the rights to anything at all.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

ell, if you took away all the villains who were originally sexual predators, there wouldn't be any Teen Titan bad guys left to use!
I mean technically in the comics Doctor Light was just an ineffectual Justice League villain starting in 1962, then sort of got adopted as the ineffectual Teen Titans villain with the idea that maybe he couldn't stop the adults, but teenagers wouldn't stand a chance. He kept on losing to progressively weaker teams/characters until he was literally defeated by non-superhero children in a backup story.

Then in the 1980s he joined the Suicide Squad because he wanted to actually succeed at something and be liked, but instead he just ends up dying.

Then he comes back in the 1990s as a being of pure light who is mad at having been a joke and then dying and no one really caring.

*THEN* from 2006-2010 Brad Meltzer/Dan DiDio/etc. decide to retcon that he was originally a vicious murderer and rapist who got brain damaged in an attempted brainwashing which is why he kept losing to the Teen Titans. Now that his memory is restored, he really likes raping people AND he wants to rape teenagers. Then he dies yet again.

Then he hasn't been a rapist in any of the weird N52/cartoon/etc. versions, so he's really only been a sexual predator for about five years late in his 50+ year existence as a fictional character. It's *probably* something they could politely pave over with enough time/effort.

Deathstroke though

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

purple death ray posted:

The difference is Hank Pym was defined very early on as the dude who hit his wife, if he'd just been a superhero for a few decades and then someone wrote a story where he hit his wife, it wouldn't be such a defining moment. Like how nobody primarily thinks of Wolverine as a caveman with no nose despite that being a thing for about as long as Dr. Light was a rapist.
I mean "very early on" = "nearly twenty years after his debut and after over 200 issues of Avengers where he was a pretty consisent member" so it really was after him being "just a superhero" for a long time, but even past that they wrote a long drawn out redemption/reconciliation arc over several years and it really WAS more or less a buried thing kind of like Noseless Bone Claw Devolved Wolverine.

Then the Ultimates basically reintroduced the original Avengers to a new generation and they amplified the poo poo out of "Hank Pym, Wifebeater" and then the mainline Marvel Universe re-prosecuted that moment at least three times in the course of a decade so yes, it became his defining thing.

It's kind of like how a lot of people still look at the sort of DO YOU THINK THIS A STANDS FOR FRANCE? Ultimates version of cranky old man Cap and think that is the traditional/main version of Captain America, except at least Steve Rogers has a bunch of movies and the very popular Ed Brubaker run to serve as counterbalance/direct repudiation of that version of the character, but Hank Pym doesn't have any of that because no one is reading 1980s Roger Stern/Steve Englehart Avengers (or the Clone Saga for Wife Beatin' Pete, or Ostrander Suicide Squad for rape-free Doctor Light)

On the other hand, more people have watched Teen Titans Go than have read Identity Crisis (or subsequent DC One Year Greater stories) or have read the Judas Contract for that matter, so it's possible that Dr Light and Deathstroke's sex crimes that have been essentially retconned away could fade.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 26, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

purple death ray posted:

Well "Hank Pym: Wifebeater" was a well worn joke back in Wizard in the early 90s so I don't think you can blame the ultimate universe on that one. I think it's more that Hank is a lovely character with little to no personality beyond "nerd, can't stick with a superhero identity, hits his wife". So that's all anybody remembers about him.
Wizard was pretty chock full of overused frat boy jokes, and somehow perception has moved past how a lot of characters have costumes that make them look like homos and that Squirrel Girl/Detective Chimp/Kilowog/etc are lovely Morts of the Month and that the only real Luke Cage is a jive talking honky-hatin' disco demon. I'm sure people would remember the Hank Pym story without Ultimates, but Ultimates really cemented it.

Also Hank Pym isn't a lovely personality free character at all but again, there are literally tons of characters that had good stories told about them, fell into disuse/misuse, were treated like jokes, and then rehabbed in the 21st century. It's about half of Marvel's line-up right now. If you asked most fans prior to Marvel Knights (which was basically Marvel's first concerted attempt to elevate b/c-listers) the vast majority of them would either barely recognize the following characters or think they were kind of lovely characters with little to no personality besides [something really reductive]:

Black Panther
Luke Cage
Misty Knight
Sam Wilson
Carol Danvers
Sam Wilson
Doctor Strange
Patsy Walker
Moon Knight
Hercules
Iron Fist
Vision
Namor
Mockingbird
James Rhodes
Monica Rambeau
Sunspot
Squirrel Girl
literally anyone from Guardians of the Galaxy

There were also plenty of other characters who had lovely recent comic books that probably 'ruined' them forever in the lens of the late 1990s: Deadpool, Punisher, Ghost Rider, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye, the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc. but those mostly fall under the "no one remembers noseless Wolverine" clause.

But lo and behold one or more writers decided that maybe they cared about these characters and now some of them are at least mildly popular?

Madkal posted:

I thought according the Suicide Squad Dr. Light was originally a hero but then someone killed the original hero and used the Dr. Light stuff to become a villain (who ends up getting haunted by the original hero Dr. Light).
That was a retcon in Suicide Squad, yes. But that "first" "good" Doctor Light never actually appeared in any stories prior to having been revealed as a ghost years later.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 26, 2017

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Perpetrators of domestic violence (no need for granularities) in the Marvel Universe:

Hank Pym
Peter Parker
Wolverine
Reed Richards
Susan Storm/Richards
Johnny Storm
Ben Grimm
Clint Barton
Matt Murdock
Tony Stark
Thor Odinson
Luke Cage
probably everyone

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

List of murderous "superheroes":

Punisher
Wolverine
Hawkeye
Deadpool
Spider-Man
Superman
Wonder Woman
Thanos
etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Killing and murder are different things.
let's discuss granularities of killing people itt

• Locked thread