Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Magneto's powers work on all metals, even if they're not magnetic.

"Metal" doesn't mean anything in nature. It's just an arbitrary categorization humans made up.

The only logical explanation for this is that Magneto's power restrictions must be psychosomatic. Why would his natural, biological evolution powers be bound by human language? English isn't even his first language.

So here's my big event story concept: Magneto has a telepathic mutant (Quire? Doesn't matter who) manipulate his thoughts so that he is absolutely 100% convinced that all elements are metals, and holds the Earth hostage.

In one issue he tears Hulk into individual atoms, but Hulk's atoms get so mad they re-form.

The good guys win when a bunch of super geniuses invent a new element, and Magneto's ignorance of it means he can't control it and they use it to punch him in the face. It's highly unstable though, so whoever wears the Infinitum Gauntlet is sacrificing themselves to the incredible radiation. Nobody who is immune to radiation volunteers because every event needs a body count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Reed Richards would confront him with a wooden gun, and it would leave Magneto so spiritually and mentally broken he agrees to come quietly.

Reed Richards is gone, and nobody can replicate the technology of his wooden gun.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A bunch of places say it started with the Silver Age rewriting of his origin but none has a specific issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah Superman isn't especially resistant to telepathy either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A magic sword that is infinitely sharp due to magic can cut Superman.

A magic sword that's simply on fire should do nothing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also to go back a few steps, Superman is often depicted as not especially resistant to sonic attacks either.

It makes sense, since if you find Superman's frequency you're causing his body to vibrate and tear itself apart.

Similarly Superman should also be vulnerable to aikido.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

Once, briefly, because Odin allowed it. He was unable to lift it after the fight was over.

Yeah but now Mjolnir just lets anyone lift it.

Even A woman!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, he is. They found the photos on his computer. The only reason they use that uncertain language is because he hasn't been convicted yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wikipedia cites a 1959 Mxyzptlk appearance bringing it up and implies it's not the first time in that one either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just put an I in each pair and it's close enough.

Mix yiz pit lik

Benito Cereno posted:

I have the issue Wikipedia cites, so I'll look into it as soon as I feel like waking up my cat out of my lap so I can get the issues in question.

Edit: All right, I checked out both the issue Wikipedia cites (Superman vol 1 #131) and Justice League #2 to compare results. I also talked it over with my pal Calamity Jon Morris, the author of the Chronological Superman blog who was my original source on that idea anyway.

Basically, here's what's up: the story Wikipedia is citing is "The Menace of Mr Mxyzptlk," which is Mxy's reintroduction for the Silver Age. It has Superman saying he can't stop Mr Mxyzptlk's magic, but at no point is he directly affected by it, nor does he say that magic would hurt him. This is typical of Mxy stories from this era and before.

However, the Justice League story, from less than a year after the Mxyzptlk story, has Superman explicitly saying in panel one of page seven, "Come to think of it, one of the things that robs me of my super-powers is...a magic spell!"

So "unable to stop magic" vs "magic robs me of my powers" may seem like splitting hairs, so accept whatever you want. Either way, this pegs it to relatively early in Superman's Silver Age era.

BUT--I will say that as late as August 1958's Action Comics #243, "The Lady and the Lion," the infamous lion-headed Superman story (well, the FIRST one), Circe is only able to transform Superman into a beast by lacing a magic potion with kryptonite (which leads Superman to assume she was from Krypton). By the time they repeat the concept again a few years later, Circe doesn't need the kryptonite to affect Superman.

Well that's a very thorough answer, wow.

I bet Wheat Loaf didn't expect that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Every time I think of playing that game a bit I load it up and remember how limited the customizing is.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

The big issue is there's a fuckload to play with in the costuming... If you find the styles. And some of them led you down some miserable loving grinds.

Yeah, and they're not account wide.

Also apparently it's impossible to make a name these days. Not only are they all taken by now but the creator has bugs and can deny even available names to you.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why is Falcon's sidekick a luchadore?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Luchadore masks are sacred, you can't just go put one on because you want to. You have to earn it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would hope a US congressman doesn't have the time to write a monthly comic book.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He farts at the resonant frequency of his shorts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Old Bobby's gay too though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those guys making their mecha to fight the Japanese are about to get some federal funding.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've got you now, transgenders!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like Loot Crate did an Action Comics #1 reprint for this month.

I wonder if they'll include that on the official sales list. Loot Crate comics are always automatic #1.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's still the same Hank Pym so you're not wrong to still call him that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Punching someone for being a nazi isn't a first amendment issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's okay to punch fascists even if they don't personally identify as nazis.

• Locked thread