Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Demon_Corsair posted:

The problem with that method is sleeving and unsleeving all the time is a pain in the rear end.

Some people don't sleeve. Bad people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

I like the new cards a lot, and even though I like some of the replaced cards, it's a massive positive shift. The new editions seem to have gotten rid of the clunkers that made some boards not much fun.

I agree, but it's crazy that he didn't replace Swindler for exactly that reason.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CaptainRightful posted:

I agree, but it's crazy that he didn't replace Swindler for exactly that reason.

Swindler is good, tho.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Swindler is good, tho.

:agreed:

Played a game with Swindler in it last week that had a trash pile 4 inches high by the time we reached the 3 pile ending.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Speaking of sleeves, does everyone just use penny sleeves or what? Also, what was that organizing tray that holds the kingdom cards someone recommended in the board game thread a while back? It was tiered and held them at a slight angle.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of sleeves, does everyone just use penny sleeves or what? Also, what was that organizing tray that holds the kingdom cards someone recommended in the board game thread a while back? It was tiered and held them at a slight angle.

Deffo penny sleeves. Unless you're made of money.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainRightful posted:

Swindler is a terminal silver that destroys your opponent's early economy by turning Coppers into Curses. It has utility late game, because you can turn Duchies into meaningless five-buys, and you can hit engine components. It's very swingy, but I think it's often a solid 3-buy unless there's a competing attack, or you're worried about terminal collision. Unless you mean that it's too irritating to play against, which I also don't think is true (since it is so swingy and luck dependent).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sleeves are for the weak

Swindler is good and I hate it with a burning passion

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
About a year ago I brought Dominion(just the base set that I bought several years ago) to work to play with my co-workers at lunch.

Now it's so popular that we own almost every expansion (I think we're just missing Empires and the 3 mini expansions) and we play at least 2 or 3 times a week, it's pretty great.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
FFG euro sleeves are good if you can get them in bulk.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

sector_corrector posted:

Playing the modified Big Money bot in Dominion.NET indicates that's not the case. Each Castle effect is fairly powerful, especially if you have a number of enabling cards on the board. Altogether a set will net you a decent amount of victory points, too. I would probably avoid in a Colony board, but rushing castles with money and enabling cards mixed in seems to be a good strategy overall.

I'm not so sure a castle rush works well. The problem is that the 6-cost and 7-cost castles are so good that they can be slotted into a standard province strategy with very few problems. Rushing castles usually leaves me with a weaker economy when the higher cost castles come up, and then the AI steals them all. I generally prefer avoiding castles until the second or third shuffle to avoid this.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
All 8 castles is ~48VP for $52. That's more efficient than snapping up 8 provinces for the same 48VP at $64. However, you flood your deck with dead Victory cards, and it doesn't end the game. Using Small Castle to trade up to the larger ones reduces overall VP, which presents its own problem. If my opponent takes the $3 Castle, I will take one of the $4,5,or $6 and then just let them waste time with the rest. If I take the $4, especially if I have a trasher, the free silver mostly makes up for it and it denies them 5-6 VPs , if I take the $5, I can swap it into another later and deprive them of even more VP, and if I take the $6, it comes with a free gold and a Shost Ship effect, which can be brutal against a deck that's full of Victory cards. The only time I can really see going hard in on castles is with some sort of Rogue/Salt the Earth combo or when there's a Museum in play.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

StashAugustine posted:

Sleeves are for the weak

Pretty much this. Swindler is the epitome of how swingy cards are horrible for me. Hit an estate, you bought a terminal silver that helped your opponent, good job.

Hit their Lab on the first shuffle? GG.

E: has anyone else signed up for poo poo and not got their email confirmation email yet? I can't set up matches yet :(

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 2, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

A strategy I didn't realize until recently comes with Merchant Guild. Stacking +buy (preferably a cantrip of some sort) with it, and buying low value cards, and ideally stacking Merchant Guilds is a very effective way to rack up coin tokens, which are objectively very powerful due to the way that they allow you to pick up slack in turning marginal hands into a Province round. The really interesting part is that once the deck clicks, you can turn single coin tokens into 3 or 4 coin tokens (given the ability to draw and play multiple Merchant Guilds). The DS wiki strategy article gives a specific simulated game, where the Merchant Guild multiplicative strategy starts very slow, and is then having routine monster turns to eek out a victory.

Problem being that you then fill your deck with cheap crap. Or your main payload is a ton of Merchant Guilds every turn, which doesn't seem like a great plan. (E: if you've got another source of +buy, Baker seems better, especially because you can play those coin tokens in the same turn).

Philosopher's Stone and Vault is fun but not really that effective.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 2, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Merchant Guild can ok if you also have Watchtower/Trader and a cheap source of +buys like Market Square. Then you can buy coppers and send them straight to trash or replace them with silvers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's that tray

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H...0b-5a293310a66c

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dammit, I've purchased two different game trays for Dominion at this point, now I'm looking at a third. Put this on a lazy susan type thing and it's perfect

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I have an empty Hobby Lobby box that's been sitting unused for almost a year, just because I've been too cheap/lazy to make good dividers. But I need to stop buying Dominion expansions until I organize the ones I have (Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Dark Ages).

What dividers do y'all like? And what did you print them on?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Aggro posted:

I have an empty Hobby Lobby box that's been sitting unused for almost a year, just because I've been too cheap/lazy to make good dividers. But I need to stop buying Dominion expansions until I organize the ones I have (Intrigue, Seaside, Prosperity, Dark Ages).

What dividers do y'all like? And what did you print them on?

Read this page and last page.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Been playing on the new online client now that the e-mail conformation issue is sorted. It's nice to play Empires online because I don't get enough chance to play it IRL.

First board had Tomb (+1VP when you trash something) and Swindler, and after we both opened double-Swindler we realised that it gives your opponents a point when you play it. The realisation was quite funny, we still used them anyway :)

Next board was an insane Scrying Poool + Remake + Workers Village + Knights + Fortune + Colony deal. Was looking to three-pile near the end but then Fortune just almost trivially gets you to 46 coin and it's like "Oh well, I guess I'll just buy 4 Colonies then, you know, no big deal or anything". Crazy.

For anybody looking to play on the new client, be aware of two things:

1) Go to the Familiar cards tab on the main screen and set them all to familiar so you stop having games that are almost entirely Base cards. It's a cool feature to slowly introduce cards to players, but it's active by default and a lot of people don't know about it or understand it..

2) The current implementation of calling reserve cards is clearly a placeholder for now but it's extremely not obvious, there is no button, instead text appears in the game log that looks like regular log text but you can click it to call the card.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

H2Omelon posted:

Next board was an insane Scrying Poool + Remake + Workers Village + Knights + Fortune + Colony deal. Was looking to three-pile near the end but then Fortune just almost trivially gets you to 46 coin and it's like "Oh well, I guess I'll just buy 4 Colonies then, you know, no big deal or anything". Crazy.

That doesn't sound right. If you were Remaking and Gladiatoring and Knighting, that game should have ended well before you were dropping $23 pre-Fortune.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Sleeves are for the weak

Agreed on the first point.

I never said Swindler was bad (strategically), just that it makes games less fun. If it's there, you gotta buy it so you aren't the only player getting swindled. Then the rest of the game is everyone making each other's decks lovely.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Toshimo posted:

That doesn't sound right. If you were Remaking and Gladiatoring and Knighting, that game should have ended well before you were dropping $23 pre-Fortune.
You'd think so, but it didn't work out that way. A shame I don't have a log.

The game was still very fast. The money came from 2 gladiators, Dame Sylvia, two platinums and a silver and gold. I was fully expecting some crazy remake three pile bonanza but it didn't work out due to the stuff that got Knighted, my remakes got hit twice and my opponent lost his potion. I picked up a platinum as it's safe from Knights and picked up the second when I first generated $20 along with my first colony, then it was a 4 colony turn, then a 3 colony turn and I ended up with all 8 colonies. Piles were close but massive money generation won out somehow.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Is there logging in the new client? I haven't seen an option for it.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
It seems that https://dominion.games/ is pretty broken. I can't even make an account because it keeps telling me that my valid email address is invalid. I don't even understand how someone screws up that bad (using a regex to check for valid emails?).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

twig1919 posted:

It seems that https://dominion.games/ is pretty broken. I can't even make an account because it keeps telling me that my valid email address is invalid. I don't even understand how someone screws up that bad (using a regex to check for valid emails?).

The site registration, game creation, and basically everything that isn't actually playing the game seems to be in Alpha.

The actual game implementation is the best thing since Isotropic, though, so I'd advise patience and optimism.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

postmore.txt

Are there any stats that show the average game length for a few hundred+ games?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's everyone's favorite alt VP? Mine's Feodum, because I love silver stacking.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Tunnel, because I love gold stacking.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Harem, because I love the artwork

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gardens, because it got me to open Thief/Thief (4p game with Baker). I like Duke a lot as well, both can have those sloggy games when copper and silver are good cards.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Dame Josephine because I hate myself and my opponent.

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

Islands, because I love mats.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

postmore.txt

Are there any stats that show the average game length for a few hundred+ games?

Games tend to run between 14 and 20 turns I believe, though I don't have any hard stats to back that up off hand.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

taser rates posted:

Games tend to run between 14 and 20 turns I believe, though I don't have any hard stats to back that up off hand.

I think the metric is that Big Money can buy 4 provinces in an average 16 turns.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

farmland is a clever card and i like it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Great Hall because replace Village comic with Great Hall but you come out 8VP ahead.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Had a game yesterday with Tower that I won by buying all 10 curses to three-pile. Tower meant they didn't cost any points, so it was viable. Not something you see everyday.

Also had a game with a really weak board but that had Catapult/Rocks, and I ended up buying all of the Catapults and all of the Rocks and smashed my opponent into the ground who could do nothing all game. I always thought those cards were rear end but apparently it completely demolishes basic Big Money. The more you know!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

I think the metric is that Big Money can buy 4 provinces in an average 16 turns.

Yes, but that doesn't mean games don't run longer due to attacks, Colonies, both players running engines and trying not to commit unforced errors, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

What's everyone's favorite alt VP? Mine's Feodum, because I love silver stacking.

Already beaten on Tunnel, but my least favourite is definitely Vineyard, especially in the context of Alchemy.