Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

Already beaten on Tunnel, but my least favourite is definitely Vineyard, especially in the context of Alchemy.

I've toyed with the idea of proxying Vineyard as a $4 cost since that is what it originally was before it got moved into Alchemy (which is the only set I don't own)

Not sure if they count but the Landmarks in Empires are absolutely amazing and breathe new life into the game for me. New paths to victory through alt-victory were always cool but every single landmark is like it's own alt victory card except there's 4 times as many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Guy A. Person posted:

Not sure if they count but the Landmarks in Empires are absolutely amazing and breathe new life into the game for me. New paths to victory through alt-victory were always cool but every single landmark is like it's own alt victory card except there's 4 times as many

Landmarks and Events both are brilliant places for the design of Dominion to have gone. Giving new options without necessarily having to take up a slot in the Kingdom is great.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

I've toyed with the idea of proxying Vineyard as a $4 cost since that is what it originally was before it got moved into Alchemy (which is the only set I don't own)

I'd be interested to see how that plays out. I feel like Vineyard is able to grow faster and more productively than Silk Road (another $4 alt VP with a lot of power), largely because the VP generating category of Actions is much easier to build a deck around, especially given low-cost cantrips. I would wonder if a non-potion Vineyard might not need to be priced at 5 or 6.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

Landmarks and Events both are brilliant places for the design of Dominion to have gone. Giving new options without necessarily having to take up a slot in the Kingdom is great.

I agree. I was skeptical at first, but the way that a card like Wall, or Wolf's Den can change base strategy, or the new options that an event like Training offers are pretty fascinating. Overall, giving them the ability to change core game mechanics mixes up some otherwise accepted elements of strategy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: double

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
has anyone shelled out 35 dollars for Disappearing Dominion Online? is it any good? I want to play dominion at work.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Impermanent posted:

has anyone shelled out 35 dollars for Disappearing Dominion Online? is it any good? I want to play dominion at work.

I've not given them any money yet; so I'm just playing with the small handful of expansions I got carried over from MakingFun's version...but its a tolerable web app. Incidentally, you don't have to give them $35 if you don't want to; the Date box on the checkout screen is a dropdown, and you can sub for as little as one month.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What do you all think of the chain cards? Page and Peasant, that is. The end-game of each is absurdly powerful, but you need to be hitting them very consistently for that to really come into play in a 16 turn game. I haven't had any experience playing them against a good opponent, so it's hard to say.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sector_corrector posted:

What do you all think of the chain cards? Page and Peasant, that is. The end-game of each is absurdly powerful, but you need to be hitting them very consistently for that to really come into play in a 16 turn game. I haven't had any experience playing them against a good opponent, so it's hard to say.

Champion chain can be good. Teacher usually isn't.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
One thing I've wondered about, but don't have enough experience to say for sure, is if there're cases where you'd want to not upgrade, and would want to keep the inferior version of the card in your deck.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sector_corrector posted:

One thing I've wondered about, but don't have enough experience to say for sure, is if there're cases where you'd want to not upgrade, and would want to keep the inferior version of the card in your deck.

Keeping a bunch of Soldiers is pretty good, but you'll probably still want a Champion first so you can just slap them all down. Hero is generally bad (maybe less so with Harems), and so are the lower tiers.

All of the tiers of Teacher are pretty crap except Disciple, but it's unlikely that they are worth chaining up to.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Teacher enables or turbocharges engines pretty well, and with disciple on the way (or even stopping there instead, sometimes) it makes it usually worth going for.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Nah Teacher usually doesn't even come online until turn 15. You should be wrapping up the game by then.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
With any kind of cycling power or trashing, you should be getting disciple or teacher way sooner than that, they are both definitely worth it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just had a fun online game where I narrowly won only because I won the split on the Duke pile. Ended up buying the last remaining Curse just to trigger a 3-pile ending before my opponent could start snapping up provinces (I greened a bit too early and my deck wasn't as efficient as I needed it to be)

EDIT: That said; I wouldn't have played it like that if we hadn't had VP counters on.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 5, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I love it when you can do crazy stuff like that.

sector_corrector posted:

It seems odd for cards that upgrade into expensive powerful end-forms, but I think they'd both go with Gardens quite well - two $2 piles, one with +buy and one a cantrip that upgrades to a gainer. Haven't tried this yet, though.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Safety Biscuits posted:

It seems odd for cards that upgrade into expensive powerful end-forms, but I think they'd both go with Gardens quite well - two $2 piles, one with +buy and one a cantrip that upgrades to a gainer. Haven't tried this yet, though.

I've played Treasure Hunter with either Gardens or Feodum, I forget which - when players play TH in back-to-back turns it gets out of hand very quickly.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Just had a game with university, possession, gladiator, caravan, and a bunch of other stuff.

Turn 1:
Bought gladiator

Turn 2:
Bought potion

Turn 3:
Play gladiator, revealing potion, opponent cannot reveal the same. Play 3 coppers, buy possession.

Opponent immediately resigns.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
pre:
Turn 14 - Toshimo
T plays a Council Room.
T shuffles their deck.
T draws 2 Silvers, a Council Room and a Rats.
s draws a Necropolis.
T plays a Council Room.
T draws a Silver, a Necropolis and 2 Rats.
s draws a Copper.
T plays a Rats.
T draws a Rats.
T gains a Rats.
T trashes a Necropolis.
T plays a Rats.
T draws a Warrior.
T trashes a Silver.
T plays a Rats.
T draws a Jack of All Trades.
T trashes a Silver.
T plays a Jack of All Trades.
T gains a Silver.
T looks at a Warrior.
T trashes a Rats.
T draws a Warrior.
T plays a Warrior.
T draws a Duchy and a Rats.
s discards a Copper.
T plays a Warrior.
T draws a Council Room and a Rats.
s discards a Silver and an Overgrown Estate.
s trashes a Silver.
T plays a Council Room.
T draws a Gold, a Province, a Council Room and a Rats.
s draws a Silver.
T plays a Council Room.
T draws a Silver, a Jack of All Trades, a Treasure Hunter and a Warrior.
s shuffles their deck.
s draws a Gold.
T plays a Treasure Hunter.
T gains 2 Silvers.
T plays a Warrior.
T draws a Procession and a Warrior.
s discards 2 Coppers and a Silver.
s trashes a Silver.
s discards a Copper.
T plays a Warrior.
T shuffles their deck.
T draws a Silver and a Rats.
s discards a Silver.
s trashes a Silver.
s discards a Council Room, a Hero and 2 Provinces.
T plays a Warrior.
T draws a Silver and a Rats.
s discards a Copper, a Silver and a Champion.
s trashes a Silver.
s discards a Copper and an Overgrown Estate.
s shuffles their deck.
s discards a Copper.
T plays a Procession.
T plays a Jack of All Trades.
T gains a Silver.
T looks at a Silver.
T discards a Silver.
T trashes a Rats.
T shuffles their deck.
T draws a Silver.
T plays a Jack of All Trades again.
T gains a Silver.
T looks at a Silver.
T discards a Silver.
T trashes a Rats.
T shuffles their deck.
T draws a Silver.
T trashes a Jack of All Trades.
T gains a Council Room.
T plays 7 Silvers and a Gold.
T buys and gains an Estate and 2 Provinces.
T returns a Warrior.
T receives a Hero.
T returns a Warrior.
T receives a Hero.
T returns a Warrior.
T receives a Hero.
T returns a Treasure Hunter.
T receives a Warrior.
T shuffles their deck.
T draws a Silver, 2 Council Rooms, a Rats and a Warrior.
This is what dreams are made of.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I just found out about the Possession errata, and while I understand its necessity, it pretty much breaks the card.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Online Dominion is good now and we should start a sign up list

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the price to play with all of the expansions?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

What's the price to play with all of the expansions?

about 3 bucks a month, payable monthly

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Also the bots are actually pretty good. It's a nice way to learn about the cards from Empires, which I had yet to play. I really like it, though it definitely requires keeping track of a lot of poo poo. I've never bothered with a VP counter before, but I may turn it on for Empires games.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Has anyone successfully transferred their account from Making Fun to the new site? I still haven't received a migration email.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Toshimo posted:

I just found out about the Possession errata, and while I understand its necessity, it pretty much breaks the card.

What's the possession errata? I just played a game where a possessor possessed someone then possessed someone with that someone then possessed someone with that someone then went ahead and possessed themselves, which was really silly.

Edit: Also, I think the Teacher chain is really good, in several card set ups it's better then Champion.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goldjas posted:

What's the possession errata? I just played a game where a possessor possessed someone then possessed someone with that someone then possessed someone with that someone then went ahead and possessed themselves, which was really silly.

Edit: Also, I think the Teacher chain is really good, in several card set ups it's better then Champion.

The Possession errata is that the Possessor gets all the tokens generated on the Possessee's turn. They had to do this because debt tokens. Unfortunately, this means that one of the ways of beating Possession, VP tokens, actually loses hard, now. Also, it makes coin tokens interact unintuitively.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

Has anyone successfully transferred their account from Making Fun to the new site? I still haven't received a migration email.
Check your spam folder, but you should have received it by now. If you've not had it, then get an account on either the Shuffle it forum or Dominion strategy forum and PM Stef with your MF username and e-mail.

Note that you'll only get an email if you purchased any sets from Goko/MF, if you only bought the subscription near the end then you won't get an email and need to create a new account.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

H2Omelon posted:

Note that you'll only get an email if you purchased any sets from Goko/MF, if you only bought the subscription near the end then you won't get an email and need to create a new account.

I only had the subscription, and got the email (eventually). Can't hurt to ask them about it though, or try to create the account and see if your name is reserved.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

H2Omelon posted:

False. I never gave them a dime and I still got the migration email.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Toshimo posted:

False. I never gave them a dime and I still got the migration email.

Yeah, I had a Goko/Making Fun account since the beginning and I got an e-mail that gave me Intrigue/Seaside/Prosperity for a year just for being registered at the old site.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
Well fair enough. I was never on Goko or MF and I thought migrations were only for those who purchased full sets. Sorry for the bad info.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone else having issues loading the Dominion.game webpage? Is it down for me says it's up but I can't get it to load.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Seems to be working for me. Took me a tad longer than usual to get a game loaded and started but it's been fine since.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yeah it's working now :) I just got my rear end handed to me against two bots.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This implementation is my first time playing with the cards introduced in the second edition.

So, um, Bandit/Chapel is pretty cool if you get the 5/2 split.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Magnetic North posted:

This implementation is my first time playing with the cards introduced in the second edition.

So, um, Bandit/Chapel is pretty cool if you get the 5/2 split.

Have you ever had Soothsayer/Chapel? :pusheen:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How does migrating account ts work?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Toshimo posted:

Have you ever had Soothsayer/Chapel? :pusheen:

Can't say I've had the pleasure, but that sounds even more amazing, since the junking could theoretically knock someone off the Chapel play early and set them back forever.

Also, the computer just did this:

quote:

Turn 12 - Lord Rattington

plays a Poacher

draws a card

plays a Chapel

trashes a Copper and 3 Provinces

draws 5 cards

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Holy poo poo this client needs mirrored opens, like, yesterday. Getting the raw end of a 5/2 v 4/3 Matchup (or worse, 6/2 vs 4/4) is awful.