Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Checked my spam folder and now I'm all signed up. Free account for a year! This interface really needs some work, including a basic walkthrough of itself. It looks like I can't set up a game against more than 1 bot AND other people can join the table even if I'm just playing against bots? The upside-down hand for your opponent is dumb. And the netcode doesn't seem too stable. And there's no visible ranking to tell whether I'm getting better or worse.

All that said, if you're looking to beat up on a lovely opponent who doesn't own many expansions, please add Squid In Squid Ink to your friends list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Avanto / Sauna interaction is pretty interesting. With all Saunas and two Avantos, it's very possible draw a full deck each turn while also paring down your trash and getting spare actions to boot.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
At the moment you can get games with more than one bot or alongside human players by setting up a table and increasing the minimum number of players. You can start games without reaching the required minimum and bots will fill in all the required unoccupied spaces.

Having said that the lobby system needs a complete overhaul and is for all practical purposes completely unusable right now. But if you're just looking to use matchmaking against a random opponent in 2-player then the system right now is working great. I rarely have to wait more than a few seconds, even on Good Match. Just sit down and straight in to Dominion.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Should we get a username list going?

I'm aggrosa

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So I've played this game for a while, but only at a casual level. In my last online game I got some crazy lucky draws early on, and I'm not sure whether actually buying the provinces was a good idea. Yes I won, by a lot, but I did get slowed down for a bit. I'd appreciate feedback.
The kingdom is rather boring, with zero player interaction: Cellar Moat Harbringer Merchant Remodel Smithy Throne Room Lab Library Market
Turn 1 - 4$ get smithy
Turn 2 - 3$ get silver
Turn 3 - 3$ get silver
Turn 4 - smithy -> 7$ get gold
Turn 5 - 4$ get throne room
(here's where I get crazy lucky)
Turn 6 - throne room + smithy -> 8$ get province
Turn 7 - 8$ get province
Was this the right way to play?

Dancer fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 8, 2017

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dancer posted:

So I've played this game for a while, but only at a casual level. In my last online game I got some crazy lucky draws early on, and I'm not sure whether actually buying the provinces was a good idea. Yes I won, by a lot, but I did get slowed down for a bit. I'd appreciate feedback.
The kingdom is rather boring, with zero player interaction: Cellar Moat Harbringer Merchant Remodel Smithy Throne Room Lab Library Market
Turn 1 - 4$ get smithy
Turn 2 - 3$ get silver
Turn 3 - 3$ get silver
Turn 4 - smithy -> 7$ get gold
Turn 5 - 4$ get throne room
(here's where I get crazy lucky)
Turn 6 - throne room + smithy -> 8$ get province
Turn 7 - 8$ get province

Throne Room w/ 1 action in your deck is the biggest Hail Mary.

I think optimally, you'd open Remodel/Silver, Remodel your Estates into Throne/Smithy/Throne, Remodel C into an even split of Most/Cellar, Buy 1 more Silver, and then only Harbingers at 3 (Buy a Harbinger before the second Silver if you Remodel into Throne Room before you Reshuffle), and buy Labs at 5, Gold's at 6/7, and then once you've got a couple of Gold's, go hard on Provinces (eventually probably Remodeling a Gold or 2 into Provinces).

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

H2Omelon posted:

Having said that the lobby system needs a complete overhaul and is for all practical purposes completely unusable right now. But if you're just looking to use matchmaking against a random opponent in 2-player then the system right now is working great. I rarely have to wait more than a few seconds, even on Good Match. Just sit down and straight in to Dominion.

The issue seems to be that people aren't clicking "ready" to play the game, which might be because someone creates a phantom game by mistake and then nobody clicks ready because the game "owner" isn't ready and if not everyone is ready, what's the point? You just sit around for ages waiting for nothing. This works for two-player games but not 3+ players. There's also no documentation or explanation of anything, no apparent ranking system, and no logout button...

I'm Genghis Khanival btw.

Dancer posted:

I usually wait until my second $8 hand to buy Provinces, on the grounds that you might get lucky and get $8 on turn 5 but that's way too early. I don't know if that's too cautious.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Here is the FAQ for the dominion.games client. I would suggest it being added to the OP.
http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1100.0

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Oh yeah if we're doing usernames I'm DexStewart.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lorini posted:

Here is the FAQ for the dominion.games client. I would suggest it being added to the OP.
http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1100.0

Will do.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Safety Biscuits posted:

The issue seems to be that people aren't clicking "ready" to play the game, which might be because someone creates a phantom game by mistake and then nobody clicks ready because the game "owner" isn't ready and if not everyone is ready, what's the point? You just sit around for ages waiting for nothing. This works for two-player games but not 3+ players. There's also no documentation or explanation of anything, no apparent ranking system, and no logout button...

I'm Genghis Khanival btw.

I usually wait until my second $8 hand to buy Provinces, on the grounds that you might get lucky and get $8 on turn 5 but that's way too early. I don't know if that's too cautious.

Well, here's a question for people - in what situations do you buy the early province?

Followup question - I had a game recently where I managed $8 on like turn 3 and decided to risk it and buy the province, then used some extra buys on subsequent turns to buy more copper to try to even out my money draw (there were also some curses flying around). Do you think it makes sense to buy copper ever, if the kingdom cards aren't specifically enabling it (e.g. Gardens, Coppersmith)?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I feel that my deck is in place, then I'll buy a Province on my first eight. It obviously depends on the board.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Well, here's a question for people - in what situations do you buy the early province?

Followup question - I had a game recently where I managed $8 on like turn 3 and decided to risk it and buy the province, then used some extra buys on subsequent turns to buy more copper to try to even out my money draw (there were also some curses flying around). Do you think it makes sense to buy copper ever, if the kingdom cards aren't specifically enabling it (e.g. Gardens, Coppersmith)?

I don't think it makes sense to buy Copper if you are aiming for buying things that cost $6 or more. Similarly, silver becomes a riskier buy when you are aiming for Colonies.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I saw a board earlier today with no 2 or 3 cost cards. One of the rare times I've ever bought copper.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would never buy copper unless it enabled gaining VP, or (possibly) I was fighting through a slog and needed to up the money saturation of my deck. A 2 value hand with no good options is stronger with no buy than a Copper or Estate, in my experience.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I can count on one hand the number of times I've purchased copper or estates. Usually when I have something fun to combo specifically with it, like Bishoping an Estate.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're tracking points, Estates are obviously a good buy when the game is about to end, and you want to put it out of reach for your opponent. An extra piece of your engine doesn't matter if you don't get another turn. But, yeah, early Estate buys without a reason are a death sentence, typically.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
dominion.games is completely making GBS threads the bed today. Games ending immediately, tables not loading, error messages popping up unrelated to what you click, etc. Not giving these fucks a dime.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bottom Liner posted:

dominion.games is completely making GBS threads the bed today. Games ending immediately, tables not loading, error messages popping up unrelated to what you click, etc. Not giving these fucks a dime.

Software is 1) in beta and 2) until today been pretty stable all things considered. Swearing it off forever seems a bit...harsh.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Not giving them a dime without massive improvements. That fair enough? Given the history of Dominion's digital treatment, my patience is non-existant.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I spent this morning playing against one of my old ISO nemeses from my phone. Site's good.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's running smoothly for me right now. I'm still going to wait and see a little bit before I subscribe. I generally like the interface, although I don't like the point counter. Is it weird I miss Iso's unofficial card art, and it's weird to see the actual art for stuff?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's sort of weird playing new people who are multiple times worse than the random bot on Dominion.NET. Anyway, fooling around with the base set has made me realize how cool the replacement 2.0 cards are for Vanilla Dominion. Opening a 5/2 with Bandit is crippling.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, Lurker+Possession should not exist.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Are... are people who open Village+Village real (in a base set game), or am I hallucinating? Mommy I'm scared :(.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dancer posted:

Are... are people who open Village+Village real (in a base set game), or am I hallucinating? Mommy I'm scared :(.

The only village it's ever cool to open with is Fishing Village (or Native on a 5/2).

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
I've opened with Port before in a game where villages were critical and they were the only ones. That pile can run out extremely fast.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I should caveat that every strategy statement I make is for 2p only since I never play with 3p+.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

sector_corrector posted:

It's sort of weird playing new people who are multiple times worse than the random bot on Dominion.NET. Anyway, fooling around with the base set has made me realize how cool the replacement 2.0 cards are for Vanilla Dominion. Opening a 5/2 with Bandit is crippling.

Yeah, speaking of buying coppers, I played a guy who cleared out the estate pile on his own, cause that's about all you can get when your deck is like 80% copper.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
All of my games so far have been me getting 5 Provinces by turn 16, and then sitting around buying more engine components and Duchies while my opponent struggles to reliably hit 5.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

jivjov posted:

Yeah, speaking of buying coppers, I played a guy who cleared out the estate pile on his own, cause that's about all you can get when your deck is like 80% copper.

I've bought coppers once. Fountain was in play, but so was Treasure Trove. It was a real interesting combination. I was the only one who had to actually buy them because I didn't get enough Troves to fire.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sector_corrector posted:

All of my games so far have been me getting 5 Provinces by turn 16, and then sitting around buying more engine components and Duchies while my opponent struggles to reliably hit 5.

If the new Dominion online client is putting ten provinces in a two player game it's got more problems than anyone knew.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

If the new Dominion online client is putting ten provinces in a two player game it's got more problems than anyone knew.

I mean hit a 5 buy, of course.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Edit: gently caress, beaten

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

The Salvager / Rats combo is very satisfying to pull off, especially when your opponent unwittingly decides to help it along with multiple Knights. :allears:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

The Salvager / Rats combo is very satisfying to pull off, especially when your opponent unwittingly decides to help it along with multiple Knights. :allears:

I'm sort of on the fence about that interaction. I feel like Rats tends to work best when it's paired with a cantripping trasher, or an upgrade card (with a good target at 5 or 6). Rats + Salvager is +1 card, and +4, but divided between two cards that's essentially just two Silvers. And you need them to collide in your deck. You also get the trashing of Rats, but anyone who's ever run a failed Rats deck knows how that can be a double-edged sword.

One thing about Salvager and Remodel (and any upgrade / trasher that doesn't care about specific card cost) is that you can use it to run out the clock when you have a lead. Remodel a Province into a Province and buy a Duchy and you've basically just reduced your opponent's ability to catch up by ~9 VP. Salt the Earth is actually sort of similar, in that it gives you a way to close the gate on Provinces while edging up your own lead a bit.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I just made a Knight-proof Lighthouse (+Training) + Peddler deck that cleaned up on Colonies. There were like 4 attacks on the board and they couldn't affect me even during my dark turns.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey, so I don't want to spam this thread all day asking for strategic advice. Just want to put an open invite out there to anyone who's more competent at this game than me (basically anyone, really) to invite me to a game at any time you see me online, and ruthlessly mock me for any mistakes I make. I don't mind losing and learning.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dancer posted:

Hey, so I don't want to spam this thread all day asking for strategic advice. Just want to put an open invite out there to anyone who's more competent at this game than me (basically anyone, really) to invite me to a game at any time you see me online, and ruthlessly mock me for any mistakes I make. I don't mind losing and learning.

As the OP of the Strategy and Chat thread, I hereby invite you to ask for as much strategic advice as you'd like!

Plus I'd love to play a game or two against you at some point!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A few weeks ago I made a glorious deck that drew my entire deck with Governor and City Quarter, played two (and then later 3) Goons that caused my opponents to discard everything they drew with Governor, bought two Provinces and gained a bunch of VP tokens, then trashed the extra coppers with Spice Merchants. It was a pretty obvious play BUT the crowning achievement was that the event Summon was in play and my friend didn't understand why I would buy that instead of Governor or another 5, but I was doing it to immediately play Spice Merchants to trash coppers then play Jack of All Trades (and my other Spice Merchants) to gain silvers and trash Estates so I got to my peak deck considerably faster than anyone else.

I bought half the Provinces when they called the game, which was only the second time we'd ever done that*. I think I may have been able to buy every Province in the next 2 or 3 turns.

* the other time we did this was when a friend opened 5/2 with Mountebank in play and Plats/Colonies. It got to a point where he was alternating buying Platinums and Colonies while me and the other guy were trying to scrape our way up to 5, and at the rate we were going he would have needed another 10+ turns to buy out all the Colonies by himself, unless the two of us managed to 3 pile something. Since then we have a house rule where we don't allow 5/2 openings with Mountebank, although tbf with some of the opening changing cards like Baker, the debt cards, and some events this might not strictly be necessary anymore