Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

It's weird to call a card "Cursed" if it doesn't involve Curses.

No Dominion card that involves Curses is called "Cursed" anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

No Dominion card has been called "Cursed" anything until now. My point is that Curses have been a game mechanic since the very beginning and the English language is full of adjectives. Why use that one if it doesn't involve that core mechanic?
Very few Dominion veterans will be confused, because "Cursed" isn't a naming convention for cards that Curse. Very few Dominion newcomers will be playing with Nocturne in the first place, since it is an expansion. Pretty much everybody's going to have to do what they always do: read the cards, because Dominion card names give little or no information per se across all expansions.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jabor posted:

I'm confused, because the card names frequently tell you quite a lot about the card. You haven't noticed the stuff like "cards named Village generally give you two actions"?

I think you're confused because you didn't read carefully. I said that cards names give little or no information. Familiarity with the game can tell you that "Village" means actions, witch-and-witch-synonyms mean Curses, and real estate means Victory cards. Perhaps I've been missing some key information, though: please explain how the card names frequently tell you quite a lot about the card.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You have to have watched Shrek movies to make Shrek jokes

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't like the boons and hexes. I think the rest is neat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

Help, I am literally incapable of starting a game of Dominion if there's no trashing effect on offer.

I can't speak for Lichtenstein, but I just really like trashing, and will often start a new (solo v. bots) game if there is no trashing and no other cards I think are really fun.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Those artifacts look fun.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Traditional Games > Dominion: Well, twelfth expansion, trying to have simple cards, no regrets

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I like the idea of Pirate Ship, but it's just so bad at doing what it's supposed to. I used to think Lookout was pretty bad; I still think I wouldn't take it unless I had a non-Lookout way to get rid of it. I have literally never used Pearl Diver except for its cantrip function (such as for Emporium or Magic Lamp) or when trashing for benefit.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

You just stop playing it after a time. You stop playing Chapel pretty quickly, and that's still a great card.

Yeah, I know. But I would really be getting Lookout for the trashing, you know? Chapel is so good at trashing that it's worth being stuck with it later (plus you may need to trash stuff that other people send you); Lookout is a bit worse at trashing early--really, much worse at trashing, but mitigated by the discard and the fact that it isn't taking Copper out of early hands--and almost infinitely worse at trashing later. I'm not sure I can think of a trashing card I like less than Lookout. I don't like Forge much and even that is probably better than Lookout.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

So far I really like the Allies themselves and find the other cards okay to good. I like that it's not as invasive an expansion as Nocturne or Alchemy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Toshimo posted:

As someone who plays almost exclusively online, I never understood why people ragged on Nocturne until this post.

It's also the night phase itself. It interrupts the ABC simplicity of the core game loop. I do like the expansion and some of its cards are quite fun, but it's a pain to fold into teaching, a pain to use IRL, and generally kind of a hassle.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Admiralty Flag posted:

With all the expansions, is the recommended rule about platinums and colonies to include them only if 1+ cards in the market are from Prosperity?

I can't think of a kingdom where including platinums and colonies would ever be bad (ditto shelters). I can think of kingdoms where the platinums and colonies themselves might not even be a competitive strategy, but that's not the same thing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Having played a bit of it online, I really like Allies. The Allies themselves are all interesting enough to make you have to consider the Liasons. The Split piles are interesting, mostly in that they seem to be one great card, one ok card that works well with the great card, one duff card, and one boring card you probably want just to be able to control which pile is on top. The stuff that is just "more Dominion" is good, because I like Dominion. Barbarian was added to my ban-list almost immediately though, gently caress that guy.
There's also a pretty funny 3 card combo. Too many to see in the wild but it's fun. Importer so you start with 5 favour, Family of Inventors so you can lower the card price each time you enter your buy phase, and Villa which lets you enter your buy phase multiple times. The first player with 4 coins can empty the Villa stack on that turn. Then you need Swap or something so you happy you've filled your deck with effectively 10 extra coppers.

The stuff that is just "more Dominion" is probably what I like least, since it's more of the most ordinary Dominion, though I concede that the abundance of choice cards synergize with choice-affecting cards in the expansion. It's also a bummer to play online and get an interesting Ally and the lone Liaison is Importer, but that's the RNG for you. Otherwise, I really enjoy the split piles, because the star of a given pile varies with the kingdom and presents a minigame on its own.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sea Witch is better in every way I can think of. Sea Chart will at least interact with other cards that react to being revealed.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I liked Mountebank well enough as long as the kingdom had SOMETHING do about it, but Charlatan looks so much more interesting. Other cards that care about "treasures" will keep it weird and cool.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Collection will make Ruins into easy VP if you have a way on hand to trash them (especially via Death Cart or some other trash for benefit).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

I'll do some OP updating Soon™️

It seems to me that the only thing that really needs updating is the bit about Second Editions. People may be wise to wait on second editions of older expansions.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Carpator Diei posted:

I so hope there'll be a Dark Ages 2nd edition. It's probably overall my favourite expansion, but there's a lot of cards in it that could be reasonably replaced with more interesting ones (especially with more Looter cards that actually do things with Ruins other than handing them out, so that Ruins don't feel quite so much like a somewhat pointless Curse variant).

I guess Ruins might be the kind of thing that DXV was talking about with "cards that are useful in edge cases," but man I do love it when Ruins suddenly become interesting, since they work off of effects that want "Action cards," "differently named cards," and "card types." And of course it's a pile you can drain quickly to hasten the end of the game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Witch's Hut is a weird one to get the Cursing going. Do you end up buying cheap sacrificial actions just to start attacking the other players?

Ruins, Rats, Magpies, and Horses would get it going without much effort, and I guess edge cases like an early Inheritance.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

My initial take on Guard Dog is that it seems overpriced at $3 - maybe I'm underestimating how much discarding you're going to be doing, but having played around with Diplo, I know how hard it is to get down to 4 cards in hands. There's of course the prospect of playing a whole pack of dogs, like the black cat attack, but other than that... seems weak!

It feels like it would work best with Church, Temple, Cellar, or Torturer in the kingdom.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Cauldron looks fun with stuff that gives you duplicate things you like (Port, Experiment, Horse-givers) or Ruins. Should work with gain-from-trash cards too, like Graverobber or Lurker.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

rchandra posted:

How are you all handling the errata for live games? I'm leaning towards trying general guidelines like "don't trash durations" but letting on-buy and while-in-play exist as written on the cards.

I am only half joking, but I handle it in live games by having everyone play online at the table.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

H2Omelon posted:

Donald X posted a teaser prior to the previews:

I guessed two in a long series of guesses and gave up. I guess that was the fun I wanted to have.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jabor posted:

Buying Buried Treasure on turn 1 and turn 2: Good or no?

As with literally every Dominion card, the answer is "it depends." I think if the Buried Treasure is also Pious, well, I sure would do it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

Wow, Traits are really fascinating. It's a way to really lean into Donald X's principle that it's okay to have overpowered stuff (e.g. Chapel) as a way to change the parameters of the game. I haven't touched Dominion in a while but this is looking really tempting now.

With the possible exception of Nocturne, the last few expansions have been excellent. Events, Projects, Landmarks, Allies, and Traits are literal game-changers. Of them, I think allies (from...Allies) are the weakest though. What Traits do to kingdom piles, Landmarks do to the whole game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Bury requires some big brain deck tracking to get working. It's a rare case of bottom decking rather than top, so you really have to plan ahead.

Is this . . . true? This sounds untrue. Since it's +1 Buy, any time you have one extra coin and nearly anything in discard, you get to see a card you want(-ish) sooner, even if it's just ensuring that you get a Copper rather than an Estate.

Edit: But sure, if you're trying to use it for Treasure Map or something, it's going to be only slightly less challenging than going without.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I thought about it some more, and I thnk Bury would be AMAZING with Treasure Map. Once two are in your discard, you can Bury both on the bottom of your deck on the same turn as long as you have two coins, right?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Last night, I was proud of myself for realizing that I could circumvent the 4-cost limit on Inheritance with Necromancer, a card I seldom use. I trashed some great 5-cost cards like Barbarian and Bandit Camp and used Inheritance on the Necromancer, so that I could reach those two cards every turn (twice, in the case of Bandit Camp) with my Estates.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If I were replacing cards, Fortune Teller is easily the first to go. After that, maybe Harvest for being not very helpful for a card that costs 5.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

100 cards, so ten or so cards for the axe. Here's my list:
Fortune Teller. Weak attack.
Harvest. This is on my blacklist for cards that I will never ever buy and would prefer to see something that might effect the game.
Tournament and Prizes are a bit awkward to swap out, but I really hope they're gone. So many close games that end in resignations when someone lines up the Province and snags Followers.
Fairgrounds. Maybe I underrate it, but it never struck me as particularly strong alt-vp.
Masterpiece. Works well with that Project that gives you a coffer every time you gain a treasure. Otherwise, it's pretty bad.
Doctor: the most annoying trasher?
Taxman: What kills it for me is that it topdecks the new treasure, slowing down the cycle. Most kingdoms there is a better source of economy than slowly upgrading your starting Coppers.
Advisor: Weak lab, which is also slow to execute.
Soothsayer: a two-edged sword that junks the deck of the attacked and the attacker.

It's not just that Fortune Teller is weak, but also that everyone ends up not seeing their deck. Chaos for its own sake and +$2.
Tournament makes every kingdom it's in about Tournament, an unfun way of telling you to play Big Money (and hope your Money is Bigger).
Fairgrounds is pretty good with Castles and Ruins (if you have a way of getting past their junking), Black Market, and LOOOOT.
I don't like any of the "for every 1 you overpay..." cards and never count on using that aspect of the card; I fail the marshmallow test I guess. It is pretty fun to overpay a LOT for Doctor, though -- it's like a baby Donate.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Speaking of Marchand and promos which ones are worth getting from a fun perspective?

Sauna/Avanto, Dismantle, and Black Market are my favorite promos. Black Market is really just a slot machine for other cards within the game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

Dismantle: There are quite a few terminal cards that trash a single card for your hand, and they're all underpowered. That's just way too slow and painful for thinning. Dismantle is in that group, but with a huge handicap. You want to get rid of your Estates right? Well, if you trash an Estate, Dismantle will give you a Copper and a Gold in return - you haven't thinned your deck but added two stop cards! It has a role in the late game as a workshop for $5 cards, but that's a pretty slim use-case. If you're depending on Dismantle to thin out your Coppers, it is a very sad day.

Church: very useful card, almost always has a use in your deck. It's neat!
I agree with what you said about Dismantle, except how low you rate it. In any kingdom with better thinning and Dismantle too, you get the Gold and then trash/exile the Dismantle.aw

Church is probably the best promo and I take it over most other trashing cards, but it's not especially fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Thanks for that. I've started playing a lot with my daughter (mostly pass-and-play on my phone on the bus, sometimes with actual cards) and thought it might be fun to pick up some of the weirder/sillier cards, especially for use as rewards etc (eg she wants Plunder on Steam as a reward for doing 10 lots of violin practice).

Plunder is my favorite thing to happen to Dominion since Events, Landmarks, and Projects.