Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I somehow missed the whole 2nd edition thing. I'll be sad to see Feast go; as impractical as it was, Throne Room/Feast will never not be my favorite base game deck. RIP weird dumb card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's the top comment on that video :ssh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If there are good sifters and good gainers available to cap off the engine I can pull stuff like that off, but without those most of my engines sputter out as soon as I start greening.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
As far as player count goes some people do prefer 2p. It does seem like 3p is pretty universally well liked, since it gets you more interaction without getting bogged down.

If you can snag a copy of the 2nd edition update pack for Intrigue before you go, it might be a good idea--it points out some of the dud cards and replaces them with cool, fun ones.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Guy A. Person posted:

Love that Way of Pig is directly thematically linked to Enchantress. Wonder if there is other stuff like that (e.g. Way of the Goat is likely a single card trasher)

Way of the Rat isn't 1:1 with Rats but the association is pretty close.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

Amby, noooo!

You maniacs! You blew it all up!

God drat you all to hell!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Wow, Traits are really fascinating. It's a way to really lean into Donald X's principle that it's okay to have overpowered stuff (e.g. Chapel) as a way to change the parameters of the game. I haven't touched Dominion in a while but this is looking really tempting now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

homullus posted:

With the possible exception of Nocturne, the last few expansions have been excellent. Events, Projects, Landmarks, Allies, and Traits are literal game-changers. Of them, I think allies (from...Allies) are the weakest though. What Traits do to kingdom piles, Landmarks do to the whole game.

That's the thing, though: Traits also change the contours of the whole game. It feels like a particularly gutsy extension of the landscape cards, a defiant punctuation to Donald X's design philosophy.

EDIT: I tracked down the blurb on this that I was trying to remember:

Donald X posted:

You could just make cards that modify the rules. I considered it way back when; it's a thing I've done in many games. I didn't do it because Dominion has kingdom cards filling that rule; they change the rules plenty. Dominion doesn't need other rules-changing cards. I considered it again later and still didn't want them. But I do have Events and now Landmarks. Events can change the rules, but only via the Event-buying mechanism, which is like buying a card without the card; it felt like a reasonable extension. Landmarks can change the rules, but only in these  VP-making ways. While they are each a step towards just having randomizer cards that change the rules, they still both try hard to stay within limits, to only affect the game in a way best done via these mechanisms. In general the best way to change the rules in Dominion is still to have kingdom cards that do different things.

So in his view, Landmarks are less transformative than Traits.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 13, 2022