Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Secret History of Dominion: Renaissance is out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

When asked "What cards would you remove if later sets had an actual 2E overhaul?" DXV posted:

Seaside: Pearl Diver, Navigator, Pirate Ship, Sea Hag, Embargo, Lookout. The first three are duds; Sea Hag because I don't like having two cheap junking attacks in one set and would rather take out Sea Hag than Ambassador, plus some people don't like that it has no upside, just attack; Embargo is a dud but also I get to not include Embargo tokens; Lookout is fine but a lot of casual players don't like it.

With any 2E I would try to make better versions of cards that left that had merit to the premise or flavor, and would try to get more use out of extra components. So here, I'd have maybe 3 cards that used the coin tokens, and a different Pirate Ship. I wanted to do a Seaside 2E; it didn't happen because Jay didn't want to ask Valerie if we could replace Harem and give her a new card in Intrigue 2E, and well Seaside has two cards depicting people, Pearl Diver and Navigator. Plus Jay had boxes of Embargo tokens sitting around. It still might happen someday; the usual problem is, it's competing with all other projects.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Secret History of Allies is out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Hinterlands 2E preview #1.

The set is getting a Reaction subtheme. Also Embassy is going.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 27, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Two DXV posts:

Secret History of Hinterlands 2E.
The Why of Errata.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Is there a clear list by card (or by expansion) of what Errata changes there are? I've seen the forum posts and some of the stuff on the wiki but not a consolidated list.

rchandra posted:

How are you all handling the errata for live games? I'm leaning towards trying general guidelines like "don't trash durations" but letting on-buy and while-in-play exist as written on the cards.

I'm basically going to change general rules and play whatever the card text says.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The changes will apparently be incorporated into the next print runs rather than an actual 2E.

I think Adventures and Empires are the sets most affected, since older sets are getting 2E and/or don't have the cards being changed and the more recent sets have been designed with the changes in mind.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Turns out the errata is still a work-in-progress, with some cards getting changed to "When you gain a card in your Buy phase" instead of just "when you gain a card".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Secret History of Plunder.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

DXV posted:

This isn't a secret, but isn't widely known: Altenburger did a poll, which cards would players like to see with new art, and Harem won. They didn't ask us (me and Jay) first, and we said, okay, but we'll be renaming it too. So at some point a promo will come out that's Harem but with new art and a new name (still depicting Valerie). And then probably eventually it will find its way into Intrigue.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've been playing a bunch against the Steam AI (on medium :negative:) with whatever the free set is and Adventures is the first time I've really felt competitive with it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

In shocking news another expansion is coming out (but not soon)

DXV posted:

When I showed the game to RGG, I had 5 20-card expansions: Intrigue, "Abroad" which became Seaside plus Hinterlands, Prosperity, "War" which became Dark Ages, and Alchemy which became Alchemy plus tiny amounts of Cornucopia. Alchemy came out early and smaller because Hans im Gluck wanted to try smaller expansions. Then Guilds came into being just to be another small expansion, between Dark Ages and Hinterlands, as we were alternating. Then it came out after Dark Ages.

Whenever anyone has ever asked, I said, sure there will probably be another expansion eventually. But I did intentionally take a break after Guilds, and wasn't confident there would be more, and acted like that.

At any given moment probably there are 0-1 expansions planned that haven't been announced. Either I've been working on one or I haven't. I haven't planned out multiple expansions since the early days. Ideas may wait for a future expansion, but you know there's no plan, there are just unused ideas.

Currently I do have an expansion planned. There's no schedule for it yet; when I'm basically done with it, it will probably take 5-6 months to come out. So I mean, next year.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Toshimo posted:

It dropped on Steam as well but I can't see spending over $180 for the full game.

It's been on Steam and Android for ages.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

On Steam most of the expacs have gone up over time in price, though Intrigue received a price cut a while back and is marked in-game as being on sale.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I thought Dark Ages would get the 2E treatment first

DXV previously posted posted:

Mixed Box: I don't think there are enough to do this one. Harvest is a dud. I don't enjoy the gameplay of Doctor. I might be able to make a better version of Masterpiece. There are a few more that a lot of people wouldn't miss, that could go if I had to replace more cards.

Fortune Teller is another strong contender to be cut and he's indicated elsewhere that he's not attached to Farming Village. Tournament has to be being considered too (and maybe some of the cards could be used for rewards from the new version?).

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 11, 2024

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Speaking of Marchand and promos which ones are worth getting from a fun perspective?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Thanks for that. I've started playing a lot with my daughter (mostly pass-and-play on my phone on the bus, sometimes with actual cards) and thought it might be fun to pick up some of the weirder/sillier cards, especially for use as rewards etc (eg she wants Plunder on Steam as a reward for doing 10 lots of violin practice).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I liked Doctor :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It seems like purchases aren't just tied to accounts. If I log into my account on my daughter's computer I can play with all of the expansions we own combined, not just mine (and the same happens if she logs into her account on my computer). Doesn't work on my phone though.