Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, and the interface isn't terribly intuitive. The "end actions/end turns" buttons are hidden under the game log, and undo/resign are in a corner. Also I tried to play four or five times before I found a game where everyone was ready, despite wasting several minutes in each one. Oh, and I haven't got a confirmation email either.

Re: dividers, I just made my own from some corrugated plastic and stuck them in the original box. Now I need more space, I'm going to make another for the Alchemy box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

A strategy I didn't realize until recently comes with Merchant Guild. Stacking +buy (preferably a cantrip of some sort) with it, and buying low value cards, and ideally stacking Merchant Guilds is a very effective way to rack up coin tokens, which are objectively very powerful due to the way that they allow you to pick up slack in turning marginal hands into a Province round. The really interesting part is that once the deck clicks, you can turn single coin tokens into 3 or 4 coin tokens (given the ability to draw and play multiple Merchant Guilds). The DS wiki strategy article gives a specific simulated game, where the Merchant Guild multiplicative strategy starts very slow, and is then having routine monster turns to eek out a victory.

Problem being that you then fill your deck with cheap crap. Or your main payload is a ton of Merchant Guilds every turn, which doesn't seem like a great plan. (E: if you've got another source of +buy, Baker seems better, especially because you can play those coin tokens in the same turn).

Philosopher's Stone and Vault is fun but not really that effective.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 2, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

What's everyone's favorite alt VP? Mine's Feodum, because I love silver stacking.

Already beaten on Tunnel, but my least favourite is definitely Vineyard, especially in the context of Alchemy.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I love it when you can do crazy stuff like that.

sector_corrector posted:

What do you all think of the chain cards? Page and Peasant, that is. The end-game of each is absurdly powerful, but you need to be hitting them very consistently for that to really come into play in a 16 turn game. I haven't had any experience playing them against a good opponent, so it's hard to say.

It seems odd for cards that upgrade into expensive powerful end-forms, but I think they'd both go with Gardens quite well - two $2 piles, one with +buy and one a cantrip that upgrades to a gainer. Haven't tried this yet, though.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

H2Omelon posted:

Having said that the lobby system needs a complete overhaul and is for all practical purposes completely unusable right now. But if you're just looking to use matchmaking against a random opponent in 2-player then the system right now is working great. I rarely have to wait more than a few seconds, even on Good Match. Just sit down and straight in to Dominion.

The issue seems to be that people aren't clicking "ready" to play the game, which might be because someone creates a phantom game by mistake and then nobody clicks ready because the game "owner" isn't ready and if not everyone is ready, what's the point? You just sit around for ages waiting for nothing. This works for two-player games but not 3+ players. There's also no documentation or explanation of anything, no apparent ranking system, and no logout button...

I'm Genghis Khanival btw.

Dancer posted:

Was this the right way to play?

I usually wait until my second $8 hand to buy Provinces, on the grounds that you might get lucky and get $8 on turn 5 but that's way too early. I don't know if that's too cautious.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

When you're playing online and you might be able to react but can't, the client will tell you to "pretend to think" :v:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, it should be either +1VP, +$1 or nothing.

That said, Sea Hag + Chariot Race, hahaha.

sector_corrector posted:

What's everyone's favorite workhorse card that makes every deck better (aside from Silver)?

I love Ironmonger. It's a cantrip that is nearly guaranteed to do something useful, and is really only hindered by curses.

I've been having fun with Harbinger, Vassal, and Sentry lately.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Toshimo posted:

What do you do when you are dumpstering someone on an interesting board but their pace of play is slothful to the point of madness?

Asking for a friend.

Just ask them to speed up a bit, you big goon.

I played a Rebuild game the other day. It's pretty boring if you realise how powerful it is - almost like big money. Maybe it should be "trash a Victory card for one worth up to $2P more", which lets you trash Estates and interacts with alt-VP better. Or "trash a Victory card for a non-Victory card".

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

It is very powerful. The meta-game comes in playing it well, meaning balancing Rebuilds with other VP and the money to get them both. Other VP, trashing attacks, and pile draining can also be effective counters. For example, realizing your opponent is going Rebuild and stealing the Duchies out from under them leaves them with a crippled deck that can only trash Estates.

It seemed to me that the game turned into "Who can use Rebuild best?" with the other cards more or less irrelevant.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Play your Capitals, buy a Villa, trash them, gain from the trash. Or Black Market and then trash 'em. :2bong:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

There's a load of apps to generate Kingdoms, are they all the same or is one better than the others? I used to use Jack of All Dominion, it seemed fine, but I'm wondering there's a better one.

E: zomg wow amazing the client now has a logout button this changes EVARYTHING

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 21, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Whatever £5 card you just bought into Duchy.

Duke. Or a £4 into Scout.

I woke up the other day and had a sudden random epiphany about the importance of cantrips, it was bizarre. I've got no idea where that came from.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I just looked for an equal opponent and was matched three times in a row with the same person, who resigned every time before the first turn. Was it something I said? You'd think the automatch could forbid your last opponent.

Broken Loose posted:

If you turn somebody's opening 5 from a 5/2 into a Duchy before they get to use it, you instawin. gently caress Swindler.

On the other hand if you open 5/2 and your opponent's 4/3 on a board with Mountebank and Chapel, you instawin too. Matched opening hands is where it's at.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I can't put my finger on why, but for some reason this just seems like a weird prank to me. :iiam:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

I mean, it's not like DXV ever claimed Dominion was done and over for good; if expansions keep selling, I'd love for him to keep knocking them out

Oh no, this is a totally weird response to a legit announcement... Something about it seems weird to me, that's all. The actual information makes it look cool as hell.

If there's 33 kingdom cards and the Copper replacements, we've accounted for 405 cards, plus a few more for kingdom victory cards. There must be a lot of upgradeable cards and stuff.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Assuming hexes/boons are roughly equivalent to curses/ruins that would account for a bunch since they would need what, 40 or 50?

I thought this at first, but if there are equal numbers of hexes and boons, 95 spare cards aren't enough. Also you could end up with a curser/looter/hexer game with three different junkers, which sounds brutal. I wonder if they might be one-shots like Spoils, but with negative effects for hexes maybe?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Best of all the teaser was a Sporcle quiz, dammit. Any guesses on which cards done what? Apart from the obvious, I'd say the Tragic Hero is a Night card, and I hate Leprechaun already.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

More previews: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17770.0

Warning: furry.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Lorini posted:

How do you access them? I was going to try Nocturne in a bot game but it didn't show up in my choices. Do I have to buy it first?

Just click the "Nocturne cards" box in advanced options. Seems Nocturne games are automatically unrated, which is cool.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Official thread drink detected, bottoms up:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

New preview is up. The theme is action tokens, which he's calling villagers. More pretty cool, but simple cards.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19010.0

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Ragnar34 posted:

I have six expansions now. How do I store this game in one box without spending a bunch of money? I'm willing to go to Lowes.

I put some thick corrugated plastic in each end of the box and cut open a corrugation a third of the way into the box. Then I used thinner plastic as dividers, allowing me to place three rows of cards horizontally. Stores cards very efficiently and cost a couple of USD.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I love how these are so simple and so weird. Sheepdog seems a bit finicky, buy all the rest are great.

If you Throne Barge you can choose different options, I've tried it on the online version.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Don't forget Kilning more Animal Fairs to get those $7 cards for free...

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Gardens decks don't make $10. Fairgrounds maybe, or good trash-for-benefit? And of course it's cheaper than buying all those cards individually. Or lets you empty multiple piles at once.

Ways look awesome, very simple but interesting.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I think they meant gardens for "When are you gaining multiple cards and suddenly want a bunch of Gold flooding your deck?"

Fair enough, my bad. Looks a bit slow, though.

1. What good is Toil, apart from letting you play an action that gives you +$3 or better, or another buy?

2. The flag on Populate is Dutch, looks like Dominion's flirting with early modern history again.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Oh yeah, of course actions can have an effect in the buy phase. Oops.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Black Cat/Messenger handing out Estates.

VVV So it isn't. I shouldn't post at work when I can't think.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 6, 2020

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Those piggies are adorable! :3:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

distortion park posted:

On the topic of strategy, Cutthroat feels absolutely brutal to play against. I can pay 6 for a gold, just so that my opponent can get a better one? And they got some value from the original action as well.

You can time your Treasure buys to avoid their Cutthroats, or just buy Actions instead. Or use Bridges. If they're not gaining the Loots, they've paid $5 for a worse Militia.

Also, if you have a Cutthroat in play, and your opponent's Cutthroat gains a Loot, would you gain a Loot too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks. So it's the kind of card that counters itself.

Cornucopia/Guilds: I hope they keep Fairgrounds and Young Witch. Those cards have great art. And it'll be fun to see what new overpays DVX has thought of.