Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

StashAugustine posted:

Sleeves are for the weak

Swindler is good and I hate it with a burning passion

Pretty much this. Swindler is the epitome of how swingy cards are horrible for me. Hit an estate, you bought a terminal silver that helped your opponent, good job.

Hit their Lab on the first shuffle? GG.

E: has anyone else signed up for poo poo and not got their email confirmation email yet? I can't set up matches yet :(

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I can count on one hand the number of times I've purchased copper or estates. Usually when I have something fun to combo specifically with it, like Bishoping an Estate.

There were 4 major reasons to consider buying coppers last time I played seriously, as well as a whole host of edge cases:

Gardens - obvious really, extra buys mean extra points and you only really need an average of 4 money, maybe 5.
Horse Traders/Duke - similarly. You're aiming to pile out 3 piles of 5 or less, annd you want to keep your greens down. Average of 5 only.
Ill Gotten Gains - similarly.
Goons - when you're really firing on all cylinders and can afford to buy a copper for 4 or 5 VP, or particularly if you combo it with Watchtower...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

I never got that one, but hitting the Silk Road achievement was a great feeling.

edit: What would be the best way to generate 88 gold and 8 buys in a single turn? Another possibility would be something like a KC chained Rebuild aimed at Provinces where you're recycling the same Colony into another Colony over and over again. That means that you technically possess all of the Colonies, but you likely only finish with a single one in your deck. But, of course, Dark Ages didn't exist in the iso era.

KC/KC/Bridge/Bridge/Bride is the traditional 'nuke every card in a pile' megaturn, but there are a whole range of ways - Horn Of Plenty is another one that's super hard to pulll off but amazingly satisfying when you do.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Anyone up for a dominion game on the new site? I can't seem to find an open game that actually starts, and I don't want to start one myself with only the base set.

I miss Iso's matchmaking so much.

Same username.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Dancer posted:

Not playing right now, but I will point out that the matchmaker here is actually fairly okay! Unfortunately there's no way to filter the population (so you'll probably end up with some scrub who only has the base set, which might be a problem for you), but it's really fast.

Yeah, once I gave it a minute or two I got some games pretty quick, and none of them were base set only I don't think.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Has anyone noticed people who just stall out instead of resigning? I'm not sure if it could also be glitchiness but multiple times I've gotten to end game either in the lead or poised to win and people will just stop playing.

Nah there are definitely people like that.

I remember one game where the guy introduced himself by saying 'i play my turns as slow as possible'.

I said 'don't', he said 'nah', I resigned because gently caress that noise.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If alchemy ever warrants a v2, quite a lot of it would be out the door. It's pretty much universally held to be the worst expansion in the game, largely because of Potions only having any impact in Alchemy, so you need a decent chunk of Alchemy cards to make any of it work as properly intended.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

Others may disagree, but I think the best way to improve Intrigue is to throw the entire stack of Swindlers in the garbage.

Some new players complain that Dominion is just multiplayer solitaire. Include Masquerade and Torturer and they won't!

Yah, this. Swindler is a poo poo card and is swingy as gently caress. Don't use it if you like friends.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

Also best swindler swap is to masterpiece since its effectively downgrading a $3 to a copper

Whatever £5 card you just bought into Duchy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CaptainRightful posted:

Just won a game by playing 9 coins and buying a Curse to drain the last pile and nothing else. These are the moments that make me love this game.

My favourite of those is and always will be Ambassadoring the last Colonies out for victory. Here, have 10 points each. Oh, you still lost?

Aww.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Following, but well and truly out of regular play. Didn't even know a new set was due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

u brexit ukip it posted:

I recently won my first game of Dominion without buying or gaining any treasures. I mostly bought Workshops, Salvagers, Villages and a couple of Upgrades and won by exactly 1 point :catdrugs:

It's really satisfying when a Kingdom lets you do nonsense like this. The classic is workshop/gardens, though I think that's probably wildly outclassed by newer content.

I've barely played since... before GUilds? I think?