Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Awww yeah, Dominion thread.

A strategy I didn't realize until recently comes with Merchant Guild. Stacking +buy (preferably a cantrip of some sort) with it, and buying low value cards, and ideally stacking Merchant Guilds is a very effective way to rack up coin tokens, which are objectively very powerful due to the way that they allow you to pick up slack in turning marginal hands into a Province round. The really interesting part is that once the deck clicks, you can turn single coin tokens into 3 or 4 coin tokens (given the ability to draw and play multiple Merchant Guilds). The DS wiki strategy article gives a specific simulated game, where the Merchant Guild multiplicative strategy starts very slow, and is then having routine monster turns to eek out a victory.

Toshimo posted:

Castles are bad because they inversely scale based on player count and are actually super swingy and probably not worth doing in 2-p games a lot.

Playing the modified Big Money bot in Dominion.NET indicates that's not the case. Each Castle effect is fairly powerful, especially if you have a number of enabling cards on the board. Altogether a set will net you a decent amount of victory points, too. I would probably avoid in a Colony board, but rushing castles with money and enabling cards mixed in seems to be a good strategy overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

H2Omelon posted:

What do people think about the Second Editions? I used to advise people not to pick up Intrigue as their first expansion because it had some real stinkers in it and Saboteur made for the worst games ever, but the second edition makes the expansion seem pretty good overall now. The multi-type VP cards like Harem and Nobles were always a hit and there aren't really any more aggressively bad cards in the set now.

The new Second Edition Base Set cards in particular are all amazing and makes the base game so much better. I am surprised by Diplomat in Intrigue though, they've added all these mostly straightforward cards and then Diplomat just comes across as unnecessarily complicated.

I like the new cards a lot, and even though I like some of the replaced cards, it's a massive positive shift. The new editions seem to have gotten rid of the clunkers that made some boards not much fun.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptainRightful posted:

I agree, but it's crazy that he didn't replace Swindler for exactly that reason.

Swindler is a terminal silver that destroys your opponent's early economy by turning Coppers into Curses. It has utility late game, because you can turn Duchies into meaningless five-buys, and you can hit engine components. It's very swingy, but I think it's often a solid 3-buy unless there's a competing attack, or you're worried about terminal collision. Unless you mean that it's too irritating to play against, which I also don't think is true (since it is so swingy and luck dependent).

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's everyone's favorite alt VP? Mine's Feodum, because I love silver stacking.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

I've toyed with the idea of proxying Vineyard as a $4 cost since that is what it originally was before it got moved into Alchemy (which is the only set I don't own)

Not sure if they count but the Landmarks in Empires are absolutely amazing and breathe new life into the game for me. New paths to victory through alt-victory were always cool but every single landmark is like it's own alt victory card except there's 4 times as many

I'd be interested to see how that plays out. I feel like Vineyard is able to grow faster and more productively than Silk Road (another $4 alt VP with a lot of power), largely because the VP generating category of Actions is much easier to build a deck around, especially given low-cost cantrips. I would wonder if a non-potion Vineyard might not need to be priced at 5 or 6.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

Landmarks and Events both are brilliant places for the design of Dominion to have gone. Giving new options without necessarily having to take up a slot in the Kingdom is great.

I agree. I was skeptical at first, but the way that a card like Wall, or Wolf's Den can change base strategy, or the new options that an event like Training offers are pretty fascinating. Overall, giving them the ability to change core game mechanics mixes up some otherwise accepted elements of strategy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: double

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What do you all think of the chain cards? Page and Peasant, that is. The end-game of each is absurdly powerful, but you need to be hitting them very consistently for that to really come into play in a 16 turn game. I haven't had any experience playing them against a good opponent, so it's hard to say.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
One thing I've wondered about, but don't have enough experience to say for sure, is if there're cases where you'd want to not upgrade, and would want to keep the inferior version of the card in your deck.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the price to play with all of the expansions?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Avanto / Sauna interaction is pretty interesting. With all Saunas and two Avantos, it's very possible draw a full deck each turn while also paring down your trash and getting spare actions to boot.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If I feel that my deck is in place, then I'll buy a Province on my first eight. It obviously depends on the board.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would never buy copper unless it enabled gaining VP, or (possibly) I was fighting through a slog and needed to up the money saturation of my deck. A 2 value hand with no good options is stronger with no buy than a Copper or Estate, in my experience.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you're tracking points, Estates are obviously a good buy when the game is about to end, and you want to put it out of reach for your opponent. An extra piece of your engine doesn't matter if you don't get another turn. But, yeah, early Estate buys without a reason are a death sentence, typically.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's running smoothly for me right now. I'm still going to wait and see a little bit before I subscribe. I generally like the interface, although I don't like the point counter. Is it weird I miss Iso's unofficial card art, and it's weird to see the actual art for stuff?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's sort of weird playing new people who are multiple times worse than the random bot on Dominion.NET. Anyway, fooling around with the base set has made me realize how cool the replacement 2.0 cards are for Vanilla Dominion. Opening a 5/2 with Bandit is crippling.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
All of my games so far have been me getting 5 Provinces by turn 16, and then sitting around buying more engine components and Duchies while my opponent struggles to reliably hit 5.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

If the new Dominion online client is putting ten provinces in a two player game it's got more problems than anyone knew.

I mean hit a 5 buy, of course.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Soylent Heliotrope posted:

The Salvager / Rats combo is very satisfying to pull off, especially when your opponent unwittingly decides to help it along with multiple Knights. :allears:

I'm sort of on the fence about that interaction. I feel like Rats tends to work best when it's paired with a cantripping trasher, or an upgrade card (with a good target at 5 or 6). Rats + Salvager is +1 card, and +4, but divided between two cards that's essentially just two Silvers. And you need them to collide in your deck. You also get the trashing of Rats, but anyone who's ever run a failed Rats deck knows how that can be a double-edged sword.

One thing about Salvager and Remodel (and any upgrade / trasher that doesn't care about specific card cost) is that you can use it to run out the clock when you have a lead. Remodel a Province into a Province and buy a Duchy and you've basically just reduced your opponent's ability to catch up by ~9 VP. Salt the Earth is actually sort of similar, in that it gives you a way to close the gate on Provinces while edging up your own lead a bit.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dancer posted:

Oh yeah if we're doing usernames I'm DexStewart.

I added you. I don't think I'm a great player, but I'd play against you if you want.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

thespaceinvader posted:

There were 4 major reasons to consider buying coppers last time I played seriously, as well as a whole host of edge cases:

Gardens - obvious really, extra buys mean extra points and you only really need an average of 4 money, maybe 5.
Horse Traders/Duke - similarly. You're aiming to pile out 3 piles of 5 or less, annd you want to keep your greens down. Average of 5 only.
Ill Gotten Gains - similarly.
Goons - when you're really firing on all cylinders and can afford to buy a copper for 4 or 5 VP, or particularly if you combo it with Watchtower...

Having an extra buy with Trader, and using it to get a free Silver (or to drain the Curse pile for a 3-pile victory) is also an edge case, I guess.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jesus, regular people play soooooooooooo fuuuuuuuucking sloooooooooooow.

edit: especially with Sentry. Goddamn, it's not loving rocket science.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having played way too much with the standard set, Sentry seems like a pretty strong card. A cantrip trasher that also sifts is useful, and helps to play past cursing attacks (as well as other things that deposit junk, like Ambassador, Jester or Mountebank). I was sort of on the fence at it being a five buy, but I've narrowly lost games where my opponent went for Sentry and I went for a different five-buy in a situation where we're otherwise splitting curses.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, having just played a board in Dominion.NET with Feodum and Donate, you can start your fourth turn with a deck that's nothing but six Silver. That's pretty sweet.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In general, it seems like Events and Landmarks are DXV saying: what if the game was like THIS instead? Like Donate asks, "what if there was no lovely starting deck," and Delve asks, "what if silvers were a 2-buy?" That's a really cool concept that makes them more than just needless bloat, which is what I think you see in other deckbuilders that try out brand new ideas in expansions.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just had a match against a bot where I was Bishoping Nobles, and then pulling them out of the trash with Lurker. My necromantic kingdom of Draculas allowed me to win with 75 VP without even touching Provinces. And people say Dominion isn't thematic.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

Laughing my rear end off if you didn't have the Isotropic achievement for emptying the entire Colony stack in one turn.

(I don't either, but I only found it just before the site closed.)

I never got that one, but hitting the Silk Road achievement was a great feeling.

edit: What would be the best way to generate 88 gold and 8 buys in a single turn? Another possibility would be something like a KC chained Rebuild aimed at Provinces where you're recycling the same Colony into another Colony over and over again. That means that you technically possess all of the Colonies, but you likely only finish with a single one in your deck. But, of course, Dark Ages didn't exist in the iso era.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 22, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

The best way to do it was always a mega-chain of Bridges.

Yeah, that would probably be easiest. The Rebuild chain seems too complicated to pull off, so the cost reducer strategy is probably still the most efficient way to do it.

Out of curiousity for the Rebuild chain,

You would need 5 King's Courts
3 Rebuilds
Whatever treasure and enablers you used to get to that point
A Province in the Discard.

You fire off the Rebuild chain, name Colony as the card it can't target the first time, it hits Province, upgrades it to Colony, name Province going forward, chew through the Colony deck upgrading Colony to Colony.

That's at least eight high dollar buys, plus the drawing power, trashing, and money you'd need to set the deck up in the first place. Honestly the easiest way to enable that combo would be cost reduction and +buy, but at that point, why not just drain the Colony pile for full points?

It would be cool to do, but not very efficient or probable.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 22, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe I forgot about the KC-Bridge megaturn while writing that. As in actual games, the complexity of Dark Ages cards completely blinded me to the obvious.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's everyone's favorite workhorse card that makes every deck better (aside from Silver)?

I love Ironmonger. It's a cantrip that is nearly guaranteed to do something useful, and is really only hindered by curses.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chariot Race is really strong, given the board. It's sort of like a cantrip monument with a bit of risk / luck thrown in.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah for some reason I have the weirdest blindness for self-synergizing cards like that. I played a game with Herald the other day and my thought process literally went: "jeez there are some good terminals but no villages...oh well I guess I could get Heralds and hope to play one of the terminals with Herald, but that doesn't help if I draw the terminals together... ... ...oh if I hit a Herald with a Herald it generates a free extra action :downs:"

That's the first time I noticed that and we've had Guilds since release.

A Herald deck with a good trashing option is loving insane.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, just realized that on-trash benefits work when you hit a supply pile with a Lurker. You can trash Catacombs to pick up later while gaining free villages that enable them to draw your entire deck.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lurker also has a cool effect of letting you grab the more powerful Debt and Potion actions without taking on any of the penalties of those cards.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

rchandra posted:

I skipped Chapel today to open with Ambassador instead, not sure it was right. I did win the game but opponent was able to get ahead of the junk-slinging eventually, perhaps it slowed him down enough. Kingdom something like:

Chapel Pawn
Ambassador Masquerade Menagerie Village(B)
Conspirator YoungWitch Island
Laboratory
Nobles

Not 100% sure but I think that was it. Is there any way to get a log from a played game on the new client?

So Pawn for +buy and set up a conspirator chain with some Menagerie/Laboratory. Island some provinces, Nobles for extra points/flexibility, etc. After Ambassador cleaned me up I picked up the curse on a spare buy and started sending those, eventually he drew the deck anyway and trashed most of them.

I don't know if it's the best strategy, but I always tend to go for junking attacks when Chapel is on the board. Chapel is terminal, and only trashes (although it does that very well), so they still have to waste extra time slimming their deck while not really getting any other benefit. That's time that you can spend building your own deck. Often what happens is that both players take the obvious attack, and Chapel, and it makes the game into more of a toss-up.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We've all felt the pain of a busted Conspirator deck, I'm sure. It is a very tempting card... mmm, 4-buy cantripping silver.

Broken Loose posted:

I've never regretted taking Bishop, and in fact I've had a few games where I regretted not taking it. It helps to have a more aggressive trasher, though. Also, Peddler. Never pass up Bishop + Peddler.

Yeah, the only real time that a Bishop might not work is if you're trying to run a junking attack at the same time, since Bishop gives your opponent a trashing opportunity. But even then...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd add Hoard to the list of cards I'll always buy, regardless of whether or not it makes sense.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think I would Chapel down in that case. What did your opponent open with?

Edit: to expand a little bit, dumping your starting cards is going to get harder and harder as the game goes on. When Chapel starts, you're trashing potentially four junk cards for one action. As you add more desirable cards to your deck that's going down quickly. Trashing three junk cards is still very good. Think about what happens to your deck with that bureaucrat play: you get the silver from the attack, and you are probably using your three coppers to buy a silver. You now have three cards out of ten that will conflict with Chapel's ideal scenario (trashing 4 starters). If you hit those three coppers instead, you haven't gained any desirable cards, but you have thinned your deck in nearly the most optimal way possible. Dominion's main resource is time and opportunity, and I think playing Chapel in that situation makes the best use of that resource.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 26, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

H2Omelon posted:

Just had a game with Mill and Menagerie. Now there's a fun as hell combo. Discard duplicates for sweet cash and then draw back up to a big handsize, no mucking around with villages needed.

In fact the board didn't even have any villages, or trashing, and the only +buy was Baron. Beat my opponent's Alchemist stack, so that's cool.

Yeah, I really love Mill. It does all of the interesting poo poo that Great Hall does (card type interactions, drawing into it with something that pulls victories like Vagrant, and cantripping VP if you choose not to use the discard effect) but it also fills an important role, which is a disappearing silver (minion also does disappearing Silver, but it's a 5-buy). That opens up a lot of cool higher level strategies, such as what you mention with Menagerie, but also Watchtower, Jack, and other Library archetypes. Overdraw decks like that are super satisfying when you pull them off, and powerful to boot.

edit: Tactician would also be an interesting combo. Get two (maybe more) Tacticians in your deck, which is made easier with the sifting and Silver properties of Mill, ideally play one a turn, use Mill to generate money while leaving one card for Tactician to discard. The extra buys give you some pepper to help build the engine too.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Played a few more in person games with my friends over the weekend. Actually forced another mid-game forfeit with a Shanty Town - Margrave - Masquerade combo. I opened Masq/Expedition (an event that lets you draw 2 more cards for your next turn) so I ended up trashing an estate and buying a Gold on turn 3 which felt pretty good. The Margrave/Masq one-two punch was brutal because they discarded down to their best cards a few times before they realized it was going to keep happening - only for them to intentionally leave a crappy card in hand the first turn my slowed down deck didn't let me draw and play everything. At that point I had half the Provinces in a 3 player game anyway and we were playing with the landmark Museum (2vp for every differently named card you have) and I had the most diversity in my deck.

Also, I just want to gush about how great landmarks are some more. They add more paths to victory which means people trying different strategies more often, they breath new life into some older cards, and they just create a whole new dynamic for player interaction and deck timing. We played a game a few weekends ago with Keep (5vp for each treasure you have the most of) and I noticed a nice combo with Artisan and Contraband that let me easily win the Keep bonus for Contraband, Copper (Contra was the only plus buy) and either Silver or Gold. We played with Mountain Pass (starts a bidding war for 8vp when someone buys the first Province) yesterday which I way overbid for which cost me the game, but was still an interesting mid-game intermission thing. We also played a cool game with Basilica (gives you 2vp from a preset pile anytime you have $2 leftover from a buy) and I won another game with Tomb (1vp whenever you trash a card) by going really extreme with Spice Merchant, Develop, and buying Mining Villages just to trash them; an opponent mistakenly bought Swindler not realizing he would be giving us free VP every time he attacked us but used Trader to trash it for 3 silver and a VP, but I still won with the most trash VP (21) despite narrowly losing the Province split.

I really hope they don't start to overstay their welcome, I feel like worst case scenario people ignore them, they don't tend to dominate games they are just something else to factor in. One thing I will say is they seem to overshadow at least some of the alt VP cards, which require you to do the strategy while using turns buying the card, while landmarks are always active. We had Silk Road in for a few games and it mostly sat there, although it might not have been the best field for it (well and that in particular might be an alt-VP that clashes with landmarks specifically since you need to maximize the number of victory cards in deck, while landmarks let you ignore them to a greater extent than usual).

Yeah, Landmarks and Events are both great. They really change how the game is played. They're almost like mini rule patches that only exist for a round.