Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0069 posted:

Well, here's a question for people - in what situations do you buy the early province?

Followup question - I had a game recently where I managed $8 on like turn 3 and decided to risk it and buy the province, then used some extra buys on subsequent turns to buy more copper to try to even out my money draw (there were also some curses flying around). Do you think it makes sense to buy copper ever, if the kingdom cards aren't specifically enabling it (e.g. Gardens, Coppersmith)?

I don't think it makes sense to buy Copper if you are aiming for buying things that cost $6 or more. Similarly, silver becomes a riskier buy when you are aiming for Colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

That's actually an insanely cool idea, I did not know mirrored openings were even a thing, much less that it was the rule in tournaments. It might be something to try, although again we haven't even really seen Mountebank hit the table in awhile and with all the new sets with cards/events that give you more interesting opening options, it might not be an issue anyway. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Another option is to let people choose how their starting deck is stacked.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

I forgot Possession wasn't an attack and just got creamed in a game because of it. What the hell is even the reasoning behind that?

It's a fun card and it's my fault for not paying attention and losing but man I don't get not making an attack that powerful unblockable.

Being Possessed for on average doesn't actually hurt you. It basically just cycles a hand. You remember the times when a good hand becomes a lovely hand and forget the times when a mediocre hand becomes a good hand.

Now, this is different if your deck has Ambassador, Masquerade, coin tokens, deck manipulation, etc. but without specific other cards Possession is similar to Tribute in that it uses your deck to generate an effect which is as likely to help as to hurt.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

If alchemy ever warrants a v2, quite a lot of it would be out the door. It's pretty much universally held to be the worst expansion in the game, largely because of Potions only having any impact in Alchemy, so you need a decent chunk of Alchemy cards to make any of it work as properly intended.

You absolutely don't need a bunch of Alchemy cards to make most of them decent.

Transmute benefits the most from other Alchemy stuff, but it's basically always trash.

Phil. Stone actively doesn't want other Potion cards.

Alchemist and Golem are better if they're with other cards, but can be worth it on their own.

Possession and Familiar are dependent on the rest of the board and the game state, but don't particularly need other Potion cards.

Apothecary, Scrying Pool, and Vineyard are often dominant even when they are the only Potion card.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

H2Omelon posted:

Seaside getting a Second Edition, like the Base game and Intrigue had years ago. So some bad cards going out of print to be replaced with new ones.

https://www.riograndegames.com/2022/01/dominion-seaside-2nd-edition-announced/

So I think 6 cards got replaced in each of base and intrigue, what would get replaced in seaside?

Pirate Ship, Embargo, Navigator

If they want to get rid of non-card components, add Island and Native Village.

Nothing else jumps out at me yet, Smugglers? Haven?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Pearl Diver! I knew there was a card I was forgetting that basically did nothing.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Lookout is a very good trasher, because it lets you trash and still use the rest of your hand. It is surprisingly quick. It’s biggest problem is that the good it does on each play feel small, while if it ever misses the harm it does feels very large.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

homullus posted:

I can't think of a kingdom where including platinums and colonies would ever be bad (ditto shelters). I can think of kingdoms where the platinums and colonies themselves might not even be a competitive strategy, but that's not the same thing.

In general platinums and colonies advantage strategies that spend more time setting up because it takes fewer turns when you’re deck is firing to get enough points to win. Always having platinums and colonies available flatten the total strategic space even further towards engine decks.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The secret history implies we’re getting another expansion this year. That’s a lot of new Dominion in one year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

panko posted:

for some reason in over 350+ games against hard AI on the app I have never had a kingdom with gardens present. afaict I don’t have a ban set for it or any other cards. :tinfoil: maybe but is the app surreptitiously biased to not include gardens because it makes the AI play wonky?

I’ve had a few games with Gardens, so I think it’s just random chance.