Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Lorini posted:

Does one binder hold all of the expansions with room to grow? Seems like you'd need multiple binders.

I fit all but Adventures (hate that set) in mine, it's getting very full and heavy so I think you want two binders at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gardens, because it got me to open Thief/Thief (4p game with Baker). I like Duke a lot as well, both can have those sloggy games when copper and silver are good cards.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Teacher enables or turbocharges engines pretty well, and with disciple on the way (or even stopping there instead, sometimes) it makes it usually worth going for.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Safety Biscuits posted:

It seems odd for cards that upgrade into expensive powerful end-forms, but I think they'd both go with Gardens quite well - two $2 piles, one with +buy and one a cantrip that upgrades to a gainer. Haven't tried this yet, though.

I've played Treasure Hunter with either Gardens or Feodum, I forget which - when players play TH in back-to-back turns it gets out of hand very quickly.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

H2Omelon posted:

Note that you'll only get an email if you purchased any sets from Goko/MF, if you only bought the subscription near the end then you won't get an email and need to create a new account.

I only had the subscription, and got the email (eventually). Can't hurt to ask them about it though, or try to create the account and see if your name is reserved.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The best thing about Rats is realizing you've made a terrible mistake; today I tried Ritual to keep them under control.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I skipped Chapel today to open with Ambassador instead, not sure it was right. I did win the game but opponent was able to get ahead of the junk-slinging eventually, perhaps it slowed him down enough. Kingdom something like:

Chapel Pawn
Ambassador Masquerade Menagerie Village(B)
Conspirator YoungWitch Island
Laboratory
Nobles

Not 100% sure but I think that was it. Is there any way to get a log from a played game on the new client?

So Pawn for +buy and set up a conspirator chain with some Menagerie/Laboratory. Island some provinces, Nobles for extra points/flexibility, etc. After Ambassador cleaned me up I picked up the curse on a spare buy and started sending those, eventually he drew the deck anyway and trashed most of them.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

golden bubble posted:

Does anyone else have a card you can't help buying, even when it appears to be a bad idea.

I'd say Black Market, but the more experience with it the more often it actually becomes a good idea. Maybe Duke or Silk Road?

e: oh, Rats. I sometimes resist but very often I give in and things get ruined when the overly-elaborate plan falls apart in a Ratstorm.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 25, 2017

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

Yeah, the only real time that a Bishop might not work is if you're trying to run a junking attack at the same time, since Bishop gives your opponent a trashing opportunity. But even then...

If you open with Bishop, for a while it will trash for both players equally - just that one of them had to spend $4 on a terminal copper, in exchange for the VPs. Later on making sure that Bishop hits what you want will work better in the engine as compared to the 5 random cards of the opponent, and it will be easier to feed Bishop bigger cards for points which the opponent won't get.

So quite often I don't open with Bishop but pick it up later (using something else to trash down if possible), and if my opponent opens it I just enjoy the free acceleration.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Dancer posted:

Questioning whether I did the right play just now.
Boring base game kingdom: Chapel Harbringer Vassal Village Bureaucrat Gardens Lab Library Market Witch.
4/3 opening, I got Chapel Bureaucrat. Immediately post-shuffle I draw both actions + 3 coppers. What do? I decided to play the Bureaucrat and buy Harbringer. Should I have chapelled?

Yeah, when Chapel collides with your other buy (even a Silver) usually you trash the other three cards anyway and I don't see a reason otherwise here. Here I might have opened Chapel-Harbinger and pick up a quick Silver or Bureaucrat. Opening Bureaucrat/Silver going for Markets / Gardens could be fun but looks much worse than the engine.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

I keep playing against people who seem to be going for what you're doing--massive chains meant to produce a huge multiple buy to win the game in one fell swoop--but they end up with something like 7 or 15 coins and it was just a huge waste of time.

My favourite games in a recent match have been where I decide the engine will be bad, and win with a money-based or sloggy deck against my opponent's engine. I think good players tend to overvalue engines these days - of course great players will just make them work through black magic instead.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Possession definitely does hurt the victim more than it helps, since you can reasonably often use it to trigger bad reshuffles.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

That's not how Dominion defines an attack, though.

Sure - I'm just correcting the Tribute comparison.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Even though I don't own the base game? The OP kind of implies I should own both before getting the update packs

If you own a 1st edition copy, you should get the update pack while you can - they probably won't be reprinted. And while I've kept Saboteur and Coppersmith, it''s still great to have the new cards. (I think Dominion is better with Saboteur in it, but Intrigue sure isn't.)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

If anything, the tantrum is from the complainers.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Sorry dude, seems like we're the only ones following the thread at the moment. On the bright side - Nocturne spoiler/previews are starting at the end of this week!

I still haven't decided if I'm getting Nocturne or not, hopefully the previews make it clear. If not I can just rent online for a month and then decide! (Seriously, I love the payment model for Dominion Online. Cheap enough to just get a month when I'm in a Dominion mood, not tied down to make me feel "gotta play nothing but Dominion to get 'value'" like my old WoW friends had)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I really wish Night cards were actions, or at least cost actions (the former might cause rules trouble).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Looks like the preview is only available in Automatch and not for a bot game, which is kind of odd but I suppose they want extra time to program the AI to know what to do with these cards.

You can use it in bot games as well, just create a table and add the bot.

The AI doesn't know what to do with anything else, why should these be different?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

...or Wolf Den for maximum pain :unsmigghh:

The first time I played with Wolf Den, my score was lower than if I had just sat there and bought nothing every turn. No junking attacks, just bad planning / greed.

I'd like to play a Wolf Den / tournament board. Not a Swindler/ Wolf Den though.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Played a live 3-player game today, with cards from Empires/Dark Ages/ Guilds/Prosperity:

Tax
Defiled Shrine

Sage
Enchantress

Temple
Armory

Contraband
City
Merchant Guild
Graverobber
Baker

Expand

I was 3rd player - Alfred opened Baker (5/2) , Kano Baker as well (4/3), but I was 3/4 so couldn't follow (the only card with no debt is Baker, if I buy a $3 I will have debt and can't reach $5 turn 2). I decided on silver/Temple - Alfred used his $2 hand to Tax Silver so no others got bought. Curse was bought generally at 4-5 tokens, since it wasn't hard to trash one with Temple. The others used a bunch of Bakers and picked up Temples once they had points, I thinned, bought a gold and Expand and started on Cities - once Alfred followed me Kano was kind of trapped into it, I managed to finish with 5 of them thanks to the Expand.

I overdrew my deck once and tried some armory shenanigans, but picked up too many and the deck was just hovering at "draw self" for too long, sometimes stalling, but never overdrawing again. I picked up some merchant guilds for my own coin tokens, and a Graverobber to set up more cheating, but the armories got in the way too much. I accidentally passed on opportunity to basically always have an enchantress for +2 cards (playing my last sage before the Armory, hoping to hit another city). Alfred's deck with only 2 cities was basically dead, Kano had been stashing his coin tokens and took some solid turns, the first picked up 3 enchantress and the second played two of them and bought 2 provinces, so I knew I needed to win the next turn. Another stall, but I at least emptied pile #2 with Expand after the first City, so with the money and a bunch of Armories I emptied the Sage pile, and bought Province + Estate for the 20 VP tie (the only points being Provinces and VP chips, knowing the exact scores was easy). A tie when starting last in a 3-player game isn't terrible but after winning the city split and being the first to really get going, I feel like I should have done better. I think Merchant Guild was a distraction, with Graverobber and Expand I should just be using those to get Province points, not worrying about buys and coin tokens.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

That seems about right... I don't do 3P too often, but I think sidling into VP at that point might be your best bet. What was the overall turn count?

I'm not really sure. when I overdrew my deck was City x5, Gold, Silver, Copper x3, Merchant Guild x2, Expand, Sage x?, Temple, I think that turn added Graverobber Curse Armoryx3, the game lasted around 3-4 turns after that.

Yeah I think I especially undervalued the consistency of Enchantress' delayed Moat.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. Trash errything but 2 coppers. Buy 2xFools Gold=5 coins. From there just go with a mix of highways and GMs until you've smashed both piles.

I like keeping it to 3 fool's gold for perfect consistency (only 4 non-cantrip cards). I didn't end up with as many highway/gm because of it (and probably didn't build perfectly) but still finished on turn 10.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

After a few months playing with Nocturne active on dominion.games, I'd recommend it be the last expansion you buy for real-life play (aside from maybe Alchemy). It has too much of all the things I like least in Dominion: randomness, fiddliness, cards that don't really complement other expansions very well. Intrigue 2nd edition is still the very first expansion I'd recommend.

I mostly like Nocturne, but I find it very silly that any time you need Boons you also need the Will-O-Wisp pile. Also, Hexes are super swingy.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Rad news.

Return of coin tokens sounds cool and the addition of action tokens is a good twist on that concept (I suppose a "+1 card" token doesn't make much sense)

Looks like barring 12 stack victory cards or Rats/Port shenanigans, there are ~50 cards left for Artifacts and Projects and any non-supply cards.

Based on the description of "fighting over" Artifacts, I'm guessing they're in the vein of Landmarks where they are watching for some condition, but maybe give you an effect or non-supply card rather than victory points?

Really no idea what Projects are but just based on the name maybe they are an Event variant that pays off over time or requires multiple rounds of "funding" to get the benefit.

Action tokens are very unappealing to me, it's like Adventures in using out-of-deck stuff to give you more consistency. Coin tokens already did that but the effect is much smaller. Not sure if this will be my second skipped expansion, Artifacts and Projects might be good.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

jivjov posted:

My only displeasure with these new cards is it makes me very badly want to track down a 2nd-Edition-style printing of Guilds (or rather, Cornucopia/Guilds) just so half my cards don't say Coin Tokens while the other half says Coffers

And then a Seaside to fix Pirate Ship's coin tokens that aren't coin tokens Coffers.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Did the rats in the picture have to be going right for your eyes?
Another interesting one. When do you want your fantastic action to instead be a terminal gainer?
e: that wasn't a rhetorical question meaning "when is this ever good?", I genuinely think that's a neat question to pose players.

King's Court? Definitely when it misses, but maybe even otherwise when it's not going nuts. And the first player to go off with KC-KC might have extra KC at the end to gain the remainder or assist in a 3-pile.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

Dull, but I think Way of the Sheep could be something of an 'easy mode' that lets you smooth into golds if there are many terminals.

Other way around, since you're still playing an action as a terminal silver - this would be useful when you're overloaded on villages. Or even just when overdrawing in general, as long as you have the buys.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

How are you all handling the errata for live games? I'm leaning towards trying general guidelines like "don't trash durations" but letting on-buy and while-in-play exist as written on the cards.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I just noticed that Prince + Princess works again, thanks to killing while-in-play. (Originally, it worked because Prince put Princess in play).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

H2Omelon posted:

Another expansion announced, due November: https://www.riograndegames.com/games/dominion-plunder/

2022 really is the Year of Dominion.

I kind of hope this gets delayed as much as Allies did since I've only used that a few times so far.