Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

Already beaten on Tunnel, but my least favourite is definitely Vineyard, especially in the context of Alchemy.

I've toyed with the idea of proxying Vineyard as a $4 cost since that is what it originally was before it got moved into Alchemy (which is the only set I don't own)

Not sure if they count but the Landmarks in Empires are absolutely amazing and breathe new life into the game for me. New paths to victory through alt-victory were always cool but every single landmark is like it's own alt victory card except there's 4 times as many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

A few weeks ago I made a glorious deck that drew my entire deck with Governor and City Quarter, played two (and then later 3) Goons that caused my opponents to discard everything they drew with Governor, bought two Provinces and gained a bunch of VP tokens, then trashed the extra coppers with Spice Merchants. It was a pretty obvious play BUT the crowning achievement was that the event Summon was in play and my friend didn't understand why I would buy that instead of Governor or another 5, but I was doing it to immediately play Spice Merchants to trash coppers then play Jack of All Trades (and my other Spice Merchants) to gain silvers and trash Estates so I got to my peak deck considerably faster than anyone else.

I bought half the Provinces when they called the game, which was only the second time we'd ever done that*. I think I may have been able to buy every Province in the next 2 or 3 turns.

* the other time we did this was when a friend opened 5/2 with Mountebank in play and Plats/Colonies. It got to a point where he was alternating buying Platinums and Colonies while me and the other guy were trying to scrape our way up to 5, and at the rate we were going he would have needed another 10+ turns to buy out all the Colonies by himself, unless the two of us managed to 3 pile something. Since then we have a house rule where we don't allow 5/2 openings with Mountebank, although tbf with some of the opening changing cards like Baker, the debt cards, and some events this might not strictly be necessary anymore

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

golden bubble posted:

Why don't you just have mirrored openings, like the tournaments do? Sure, having three players open Mountebank is kind of silly, but it allows for more three pile potential.

That's actually an insanely cool idea, I did not know mirrored openings were even a thing, much less that it was the rule in tournaments. It might be something to try, although again we haven't even really seen Mountebank hit the table in awhile and with all the new sets with cards/events that give you more interesting opening options, it might not be an issue anyway. Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm still getting weird timeouts whenever there is a 3-pile. Also is there a record or something? This seems decent enough if it's just a beta but some features definitely missing (would love to see what expansions people have for example).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Having played way too much with the standard set, Sentry seems like a pretty strong card. A cantrip trasher that also sifts is useful, and helps to play past cursing attacks (as well as other things that deposit junk, like Ambassador, Jester or Mountebank). I was sort of on the fence at it being a five buy, but I've narrowly lost games where my opponent went for Sentry and I went for a different five-buy in a situation where we're otherwise splitting curses.

Yeah it's like a mini-Cartographer except it also allows you to trash, it's great. Pretty cool that he's still able to create simple cards that feel powerful and new.

I honestly underestimated a ton of the new cards at first but you can see how he has gotten so much better at taking even simple concepts and making them solid enough on their own but explode into these crazy synergies. I played a game with Harbinger and Advisor and quickly realized that it didn't matter what I discarded for my opponent since he was just going to top deck it a second later.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Like, the rage quits I get when my opponent has a copper on top and I Race for 5VP and a Platinum are glorious.

Are you interpreting it as +1$ and +1VP per difference in cost?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

Are you interpreting it as +1$ and +1VP per difference in cost?

Oh I mean unless you play 5 in a row, I somehow glossed over the plus action.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Yeah. You just play a whole mess of them, cause if they have a $0 card on top, it stays there while you just keep pulling ahead.

It's thematically fantastic and a strong as gently caress card.

Yeah for some reason I have the weirdest blindness for self-synergizing cards like that. I played a game with Herald the other day and my thought process literally went: "jeez there are some good terminals but no villages...oh well I guess I could get Heralds and hope to play one of the terminals with Herald, but that doesn't help if I draw the terminals together... ... ...oh if I hit a Herald with a Herald it generates a free extra action :downs:"

That's the first time I noticed that and we've had Guilds since release.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I've never been super great with Remodeler's, there's definitely a flow there and timing issues around when to remodel into Provinces.

What I am better at (at least in my group) is finding reckless and extreme ways to trash away my starting stuff. Whenever there's a new strategy or combo for doing that in a new expansions or just kingdom or whatever, I am always the fastest and most severe with it. This doesn't always work out but I've won some games pretty solidly when it goes particularly well.

Dancer posted:

I should really get Prosperity some day. Ever since I found out Platinum exists it's been my dream to Mine into it.

Prosperity was the first real "game changer" set up until the newer stuff like Adventures and Empires. Not that Seaside and Hinterlands (my favorite set before Empires arguably surpassed it) or others didn't have a lot of cool and experimental cards, but Prosperity had Platinum and Colonies, VP tokens, a ton of alt-treasure, and the biggest ratio of non-attack interaction cards by far. That's just a ton of new ways to score and interact with the game in really cool ways. It was really a preview of things to come.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I really hope/wish more on-trash effects show/ed up in new expansions like he started doing with durations and on-gain. What I especially like is that they are like their own mini-reactions with opponent trash attacks/interactions. Like reactions don't actually add more player interaction they just make it more interesting, and on-trash adds an extra layer to that when an opponent hits Fortress with a Swindler or whatever.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Lurker also has a cool effect of letting you grab the more powerful Debt and Potion actions without taking on any of the penalties of those cards.

zoinks, hadn't even thought of that

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

But you had Bureaucrat which gains a silver? Like I can see running into a situation where you trash everything and end up with silver-chapel and need to spend a turn buying copper to get back to $3 to buy more silvers. But with Bureau, worst case scenario is you get down to Chapel/Bureau and spend 2 turns gaining a single silver and attacking which isn't terrible

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Played a few more in person games with my friends over the weekend. Actually forced another mid-game forfeit with a Shanty Town - Margrave - Masquerade combo. I opened Masq/Expedition (an event that lets you draw 2 more cards for your next turn) so I ended up trashing an estate and buying a Gold on turn 3 which felt pretty good. The Margrave/Masq one-two punch was brutal because they discarded down to their best cards a few times before they realized it was going to keep happening - only for them to intentionally leave a crappy card in hand the first turn my slowed down deck didn't let me draw and play everything. At that point I had half the Provinces in a 3 player game anyway and we were playing with the landmark Museum (2vp for every differently named card you have) and I had the most diversity in my deck.

Also, I just want to gush about how great landmarks are some more. They add more paths to victory which means people trying different strategies more often, they breath new life into some older cards, and they just create a whole new dynamic for player interaction and deck timing. We played a game a few weekends ago with Keep (5vp for each treasure you have the most of) and I noticed a nice combo with Artisan and Contraband that let me easily win the Keep bonus for Contraband, Copper (Contra was the only plus buy) and either Silver or Gold. We played with Mountain Pass (starts a bidding war for 8vp when someone buys the first Province) yesterday which I way overbid for which cost me the game, but was still an interesting mid-game intermission thing. We also played a cool game with Basilica (gives you 2vp from a preset pile anytime you have $2 leftover from a buy) and I won another game with Tomb (1vp whenever you trash a card) by going really extreme with Spice Merchant, Develop, and buying Mining Villages just to trash them; an opponent mistakenly bought Swindler not realizing he would be giving us free VP every time he attacked us but used Trader to trash it for 3 silver and a VP, but I still won with the most trash VP (21) despite narrowly losing the Province split.

I really hope they don't start to overstay their welcome, I feel like worst case scenario people ignore them, they don't tend to dominate games they are just something else to factor in. One thing I will say is they seem to overshadow at least some of the alt VP cards, which require you to do the strategy while using turns buying the card, while landmarks are always active. We had Silk Road in for a few games and it mostly sat there, although it might not have been the best field for it (well and that in particular might be an alt-VP that clashes with landmarks specifically since you need to maximize the number of victory cards in deck, while landmarks let you ignore them to a greater extent than usual).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Has anyone noticed people who just stall out instead of resigning? I'm not sure if it could also be glitchiness but multiple times I've gotten to end game either in the lead or poised to win and people will just stop playing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CaptainRightful posted:

Network connections are still pretty common, but people could be trying to wait you out. The "force resignation" option pops up after a few minutes, though.

It's weird that people would cheat to avoid a loss, because there's no visible ranking and they'd just face tougher competition.

Yeah this is what I thought at first too but then the timing made me skeptical. And looking through dominion strategy and the Shuffle IT forums it's totally a thing

Which yeah blows my mind because I'm not even sure there's much of a ranking system yet but to the extent there is you're intentionally skewing results. Also this seems like a good way to make Dominion a boring slog for yourself in addition to your opponent (who can at least just tab out and watch netflix until the "force resignation" or their next turn pops up).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

rchandra posted:

My favourite games in a recent match have been where I decide the engine will be bad, and win with a money-based or sloggy deck against my opponent's engine. I think good players tend to overvalue engines these days - of course great players will just make them work through black magic instead.

Yeah I swear it always boggled my mind how some people just can get to an engine where they draw their entire deck every single turn no matter what, they never run into colliding terminals or anything, ever.

I feel like to get to that point I need to have a super refined deck, no starting cruft at all, an overwhelming number of villages and drawers; and even then I have at least a couple "2 terminal draw, 3 money" situations per game

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Goons/Rabble is a pretty brutal combo since you narrow their hand and ensure they draw crap, but there are a few counters. Watchtower/royal seal set up for a good hand by putting all the good poo poo you gain directly on top (and drawing it during cleanup). Watchtower helps goons but also counters it with its "draw to" mechanic. A counting house + bank combo could be hilarious (if ill advised) and another decent counter to rabble putting all your treasures in the discard anyway. Venture and Bank are also natural combos (a venture gets you an additional treasure in play) and venture is a hard combo to rabble as long as you don't play actions before it. Monument I feel would be hard to use here again because of Rabble/Goons making a decent monument chain hard to pull off, but it's a decent opener for getting up to higher costs while getting a little extra benefit from vp tokens.

The trick is getting up to those higher cost cards quickly and getting enough of them to start moving. I think I'd open silver/monument and hope to get up to a goons or rabble, ideally goons then start buying workers villages on my first goons play. It's an interesting board, there's multiple combos and I guess it would depend on what my opponent was trying to do.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'd open rabble on 5. Wouldn't you eventually need those anyway to draw your multi-goons every turn without trashing? It's not a great buy order but it would slow down your opponent.

You're right about watchtower tho, there's no point wasting a turn buying something that's not going to be part of your engine.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OH true, I completely glossed over Expand for some reason.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I hate playing Black Market in the physical game since its suck a pain to set up, so I'm glad for when it comes up on the online game. I actually played a rad game of it with Gladiator a few days ago.

EDIT: my issue is there are people with only base marked as familiar so I get to play with none of the cards I bought when I'm matched with them, except maybe the odd event or landmark :smith:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CaptainRightful posted:

I'm starting to think Sentry is overpowered. Cantrip + mini chapel + mini cellar. It's useful at every stage of the game.

It's main weakness is not trashing stuff in hand or on that first draw, but yeah it's really good and highly chainable, works well with other drawers as well (discard actions if you have have only a terminal in hand, or start up your engine by getting your village/drawer in the order you need). I don't know about overpowered, it's strong on a 5/2 opening but doesn't trash so fast that you leave your opponent in the dust (like what would happen if chapel wasn't $2)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Is it Golds??

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ahhhh yeah, forgot about Capital, for some reason it hasn't come up much lately. I knew about the Counterfeit and Herbalist combo with that but haven't had a chance to play either (also even Crown would help you offset the debt because the "when this is discarded from play" clause isn't doubled)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bonfire can trash 2 Capitals for half the cost of 1 (and using the buy from 1); that might be a decent way to trash early while also getting decent buys (trash a capital and a copper but still have $4 + whatever else you have in play left over) or to get late game use without shutting yourself out (2 Capitals pays for a Province plus the Bonfire with $1 and a buy left over).

Fortune like Crown just turns Capitals into regular golds (plus the fortune/crown effect) if you immediately pay off the debt.

Yeah Counterfeit is still by far the best but it's interesting theorizing what else could work to optimize profit without drowning you in debt.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I found a possibly redundant combo earlier? Shanty Town plus Coin of the Realm allows you to play the initial actions in your hand first then get the draw from Shanty Town. I say redundant because this turns the ST's into more expensive and situational Moats if you're already flush with actions from the Coins. It still seemed to work well since Coins can't be used the turn you get them, so your big action chains don't fail miserably when you're down to 1 or 2 Coins on your mat. But I can't decide if this is actually a legitimate thing to set up or if you're just going out of your way to get a +2 draw instead of getting more useful actions (it also might have been helped in my case since I had a few early Hirelings out).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah that's what I figured. I opened Bridge Troll/CotR so that gave me plenty of cheap buys and the only other draw was Royal Blacksmith which is obviously a poor opener, and I wanted to cycle my deck quickly to get to my Hirelings once I got them. It worked really well on the very specific board I had but wasn't sure if it was an actual thing in normal games.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ughhhh why does this new online game require you to actively reveal tunnels by clicking a tiny link in the log while putting a big button for DONE REACTING right in my field of view where I'm barely paying attention. I just missed out on 2 golds

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I forgot Possession wasn't an attack and just got creamed in a game because of it. What the hell is even the reasoning behind that?

It's a fun card and it's my fault for not paying attention and losing but man I don't get not making an attack that powerful unblockable.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

Futureproof against Squire.

lol good point

quote:

Also, Possession was bad for a long time and it needed the help.

It does seem to heavily depend on what's in play to mess around with your opponent's deck. It seems to have gotten really good lately with the advent of coin tokens and the new durations that payout on your next turn, but even back in the day you had Island and Masq among a few other things that could really jack things up.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

garthoneeye posted:

Being Possessed for on average doesn't actually hurt you. It basically just cycles a hand. You remember the times when a good hand becomes a lovely hand and forget the times when a mediocre hand becomes a good hand.

True, in this specific case he kept hitting during the payoffs of my Enchantresses, so he would get the extra cards and not me. There was nothing to directly hurt me like with the other cards

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

No citation on that first one, but if you assume it's true, you have to figure he just won't bother.

If you read his posts on dominion strategy (particularly the "Interview with Donald X." thread) it comes up every so often and he's said that he won't bother frequently.

His reasoning is roughly: it's not a choice between more Alchemy or nothing, it's a choice between more Alchemy and something new, and since Alchemy is the most hated set something new is always going to be better.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

So, I agree that DXV isn't remaking Alchemy, but what would be a way to make it better? Maybe make potion into a token you can flip for $2 (which doesn't cost a buy), and having a flipped potion token is the only way you can buy Potion cost cards? That would make it essentially an event that gets added in the case that any cards have potion cost.

I think the question is which aspect is more important: having a unique resource which matters in the cost/function of some cards or having some powerful cards locked off by some slowdown mechanic. The latter has already been done in cards like Grand Market, but your solution would be a pretty decent way to do a full block of cards with a unifying mechanic. I do think Potion as a resource would be better done today, although I can't begin to figure out what he'd do to make it more balanced and worthwhile.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Man I know I was in here a week ago whining about Possession but I just played a game with Possession and Lurker and the Landmark Museum (vp for every differently named card) and it was the most hilarious time I've had in awhile.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol good lord

The only trolling I had was some weirdo who joined as a spectator and warned me the other guy was a cheater with some kind of bot. But then he started telling the other guy what I had, which I pointed out, how is that supposed to matter? Then he asked for a 3 player game when we were finishing up so I kicked him and signed off lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Looten Plunder posted:

Any recommendations for starting decks? Should I just use the recommended ones in the rulebook?

The ones from the book seem harmless enough, although maybe geared toward being interesting for people who know the previous game than for total beginners. I might go with something more along these lines for your very first game (admittedly using the base set's "First Game" set up as a road map):

- Courtyard (draws cards and obligatory $2 card)
- Mining Village or Shanty Town (both "villages" that allow multiple actions to be played while replacing themselves)
- Pawn and Steward (introduces the multiple choice theme of the set)
- Bridge (extra buys with tricks)
- Ironworks (card that gains cards)
- Upgrade (introduces, uh, upgrading)
- Torturer (can be nasty but introduces attacks and is another good $5 - possible the most important cost)
- Nobles or Harem (worth points and cost $6 to compete with Gold)
- Masquerade (fun card trading and another interactive card)

Maybe swap out Wishing Well for Pawn or Steward if those seem redundant. Or if you'd rather people learn the basics before worrying about attacks, swap Torturer out. You can obviously look through and just choose ones that seem more interesting/relevant to you.

quote:

Any general strategy tips so I can a) win b) educate the other players about

Without giving too much of the learning experience away:

First, make sure to buy money along with action cards; action cards are cool and exciting but you need money to get better ones and eventually the best victory cards - a newbie mistake is just buying cheap action cards to play that lead nowhere.

Second, just realize that you draw 5 cards each turn and you want the average cost of your hand to be as high as possible. This can be achieved by having cards worth more money (silver or gold as noted above), cards that draw more cards into your hand, or just having a more efficient deck. Part of the puzzle of the game is taking the starting hand of 7 coppers and 3 estates (which effectively do nothing for you) and deciding how to make the most efficient and consistent deck.

If you want a blatant intermediate player spoiler use cards like Steward, Upgrade, Trading Post and Masquerade to trash the hell out of your starting deck. It sometimes seems counterintuitive to beginner players to kill your own cards but if every card you have is better than those cards, your average deck worth shoots up quickly. There's a reason Copper costs 0, you usually don't want to buy extras.

quote:

I'll be away with 6 other people but they all won't be available to play, so no worries about having too many players. What's the ideal number of players? I'm guessing 2 or 3?

I like 3, then 4, then 2. 5 is possible but slow and certain cards will go quick and hamper strategic options.

Good luck and have fun. Once you're hooked play online with us and save money for every expansion!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The price is a little steep just for a handful of cards unless you are a hardcore Dominion fan. You can probably wait till your game day to see if you enjoy the game IMO. Then if you fall in love and have any inkling of being a completionist , then yeah jump on that because they don't plan on reprinting them*

*the idea is anyone who bought Intrigue first edition and liked it enough to want the new cards is already an old hand at Dominion, and those people will buy right away. You are a bit of an outlier

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea I actually like swindler a lot as well and it's hard to really mangle a deck with it unless the board is ripe for it. I could see wanting it to cost more so it's not hitting you immediately, but I'd rather deal with swindler all day than a 5/2 mountebank.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Also best swindler swap is to masterpiece since its effectively downgrading a $3 to a copper

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That explains the repeated insta-resigns (or just as frequently people just refusing to play)

I like the new site alright but they have a lot of work to do around making sure you get matched up appropriately and what happens when people stop playing/leave (example: someone could just leave the room and you are stuck sitting there for as long as you would if they were just sitting there not playing before you can force resign them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

This is, in fact, the exact thing I was reading DXV's tantrum on.

he's 100% right though