Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Vineyards

quote:

Populate can often be misleading but there's definitely going to be games when there's a few powerful but expensive cards, or just decent enough synergy (like there's a few villages/cantrips and you're not stuffing your deck with a bunch of terminals) or cards that are otherwise hard to gain (e.g. Grand Market) and getting to 10 with a single buy is going to gain you 4+ useful cards that would cost combined much more with multiple buys (and then you gain some chaff that you can trash away or use situationally)

I spend $10. I gain a Prince, King's Court, a good 4 and 2 of something else great, Watchtower them onto my deck, and trash the other cards.

quote:

I did this a few times in the game and ended w/ an 80+ card deck and I think all of the horses.

I pretty easily put together a village/workshop/livery deck that gained all the Gardens on turn 13 along with all the Horses, ending with 70 cards in my deck. I'm sure it doesn't work as well against a person as the AI (who isn't even programmed to buy the new cards), but hey, fun things to try.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Safety Biscuits posted:

1. What good is Toil, apart from letting you play an action that gives you +$3 or better, or another buy?

With your last action you drew cards. You drew an Expand and a $5 action. Oops, you're in your buy phase now. For $2 you can Toil, and Expand that $5 action into a Province. With the right amount of planning/luck and a fair chunk of spare $2s it can almost be like a baby Villa. It's probably hard to use overall, but there will be spots where it's very useful.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 5, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I feel like Mastermind is going to lead to some real frustrating luck based wins and losses. Obviously optimally you play Mastermind and find some way of stacking your deck so you know it will hit next turn, either just by trashing or filling your deck with things to hit, or by literally stacking your deck with various deck rearrangment cards. But there's gonna be a lot of games where you just lose because your Mastermind totally whiffed and your opponents hit something crucial, and vice versa. Of course to some extent the whole game is like that (and the skill of mitigating it is kind of the point).

Also Masterminding a Mastermind is fun.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
That's all true, I'm just saying Tripling an action is far more significant than Doubling one (see King's Court), so since you can likely get this going much earlier than King's Court, and before decks are fully set up for it, you're going to see the luck effects magnified more clearly.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I think Wayfarer is going to be more interesting than "buy or gain something cheap, so you can buy it for cheap." Like buy gain something expensive, so you can then you can use it's boosted cost to do something cool. Like Mine a Gold into a Platinum, and then Apprentice your Wayfarer for 9 cards.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 6, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Yes, it's cost changes (in supply, hand and deck) instantly any time a card is gained.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
You: I see that I am winning by 5, so I will buy this last province, ending the game and winning by 1.
Opponent: I reveal 2 Black Cats.
You:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Finally my all Bank deck is going to shine.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It’s basically just proportionally better /more expensive Expedition, although gaining actual cards can have different effects with TR/Remodel of course.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Toss all the Portrait orientation cards in the back of the closet except the Bluebacks. Acquire 15ish 10-stacks of blanks, and mark each stack a unique color. On setup, randomize a set from blue backs and assign each a color. Use blanks to play the game.

There, you just reduced your set from 5000 cards to a few hundred.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Another Villa!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Yo gently caress Seize the Day. That event is gonna be so stupid when your opponent just ends the game over 2 consecutive turns and you don't even get to play.

What happens if your Opponent Donates, and then you Goatherd?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It's just a set up rule. Before the game starts, grab an 11th kingdom card that costs 2 or 3 (deciding however you want) and set it aside.

I wonder if they'll fix that typo by print lol.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
With Fleet though, you can buy one as well. So Fleet can't actually screw you out of getting another turn (although you can get screwed by there not being any VP available to buy), and Outpost has the 3 card draw so that limits it in many cases.

For Donate-Goatherd the feedback I'm getting is Donate is between turns so nothing happens.

Wait, can you Fleet and THEN Seize the Day?

quote:

"You just do what it says on the card."

This is how I describe the rules of Dominion to people.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 17, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

jivjov posted:

All cards with Potion costs

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/135/090/140.gif

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I think they started rotating one expansion free? But otherwise yes, but only one person in the game needs to buy the subscription.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

garthoneeye posted:

Pearl Diver! I knew there was a card I was forgetting that basically did nothing.

Some of these stupid little cards can be really interesting when they are one of the only cantrips on the board and there are projects out or other landmarks.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Played about 10 previews games vs the bot. New cards seem… fine. Nothing special, nothing I was excited to combo with another card or theorize some crazy strat. That was just playing comboed with the base set though, perhaps they get a lot more interesting with the other 90% of cards.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

This is the way.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I’m not sure I should reveal this information, but as a one-time top 100 isotropic player, I have been losing the daily game against the new app AI every day…

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Weird daily game today. You can have any card you want, as long as it trashes another card. Also you can draw cards, if you want to trash more cards. If you want more actions you can trash a card to get them, so you can play more cards that trash cards. And if you want to automatically play the top card of your deck to trash more cards, that option is available to you.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Daily app game today has Tournament, random or last tribute?

I got a 5-2 split and won the Tournament race but then got obliterated because I didn’t build Masquerade…

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Won the daily today because the AI decided it REALLY liked Horses, and spent several turns buying double Stampede, then playing Horse x 10 and buying double Stampede again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Potion is just a bad mechanic. It affects the power level of the cards in that potion cards kind of have to be better or why would you buy a potion. And if they are better then why wouldn’t you always buy a potion. And if everyone buys a potion then we’re just increasing the luck factor of who gets to collide their potion at the right time. Then you have the issue of how many Alchemy cards to put in a set, if you play full random then you will hardly ever get more than 1 and if there is only one either it’s a must buy or it’s a must ignore because of the potion requirement, and if you play with the rule of including extra Alchemy if you ever get one, then hooray your random sets always have the feel of the worst expansion. It was one thing when it was one of the earliest/only expansions and it felt like a real game shakeup, but as 1 of 15 it just gets worse with each new release that are able to mix in their gimmicks better.

Although I do have to say there are plenty of other mechanics I consider duds and could easily do away with entirely. Shelters. Exile. Overpay. Horses (these are fine, but really, like half an expansion based on them?).