Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Sup gips
As you all know I'm right into my cooking
I've seen a lot of people jamming out on pot roasts and the like, share and talk about your cooking ideas here

Here's a video of my most recent ribs, done on new years eve at my mates place along with a beef rump cap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LklB3wYR37Y

Feel free to tell me how poo poo they look and post your own videos of you doing much better
Let's trade recipes and ideas but I'm not giving out my sauce recipe - first thing I learnt about barbecue is that you never give your secrets away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I fried three turkeys between Thanksgiving and now and have to say that it's a pretty great option. Couple of points are worth mentioning though:
  • You don't need to be obsessive about drying the bird (just shake it out, maybe pat it with a paper towel) but you absolutely do need to make sure it is 100% thawed. Give it an extra day or buy fresh, do not burn your house down / boil your face off by putting a turkey ice cube into your pot of boiling oil.
  • Use a propane fryer at your own risk, you can handle bigger birds with it compared to an electric but you really should keep an eye on it for the whole cook time, can't use it indoors, and you have a very real chance of burning your home down. Buy an electric IMO.
  • Rub your bird. Pick a spice rub, double the quantity and go apeshit with it. Use a silicone spatula to easily separate the skin from the meat and cram even more flavor in there. Don't let anyone judge you. The oil will fry 99% of it off anyway.
  • Don't use a bird bigger than the fryer can handle. Probably don't use a bird bigger than 12-14 lbs. if you use the standard electric fryer. Anything larger and the thermal shock of cold turkey will lower the temperature of the oil too much and you'll get greasy turkey instead of crispy fried skin like you want.
It's really pretty simple and the first time was scary but after that it was chill and easy and it frees up the oven so other people can make stuffing and casseroles and pies and whatever, everyone wins. Oh peanut oil can be expensive so I guess if you're like food stamps poor maybe just roast your turkey you peasant.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm gonna follow the hell out of this thread. So glad I finally have a functioning grill again.

To contribute, here's a super-easy recipe nobody has any excuse not to use. Use Franks Red Hot; this poo poo is way better than the buffalo-ish sauce they sell pre-made. The base recipe isn't very hot...adjust with the cayenne as needed.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
The tail end of 2016 got me really into good BBQ. My resolution for 2017 is to build a smoker and get comfortable cooking some brisket. There's just not enough room on a Weber kettle to handle the bigger cuts of meat

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So since its cold, Im gonna part ways with a killer recipe for potato soup. Don't judge off the bat, this stuff is actually good. People who liked it and didn't have to say they did.

Soulex's Spud Soup. 2 hours.

You will need:
Bacon (good bacon, like smoked and uncured or whatever)
Carrots
Garlic
Potatoes
Milk
Water
Salt
Pepper
Yellow onion

Dude up your bacon. Dice. Autocorrect did that and it was too late to go back and change it. Also dice up an onion. Put them both in a pot and cook those things at like medium heat. You want the onion translucent.

Add water. Just a little to prevent burning. Add some of your potatoes. I typically get good Idaho gold or whatever. A good way to gauge potato is people served plus one. So you by yourself is 2 potatoes.

You will cut potatoes in two ways now. You can leave the skins on or off it doesn't matter. Cut the ends off so it is flat on both ends. The ends go in one pile and the other another. Cube the potato "meat" into bite-sized pieces. Now mince the ends. You want these to be thin as possible. The reason being is the small bits will fall apart and thicken your soup for you without having to add flour or cornstarch. Add them to pot. Add water to cover potatoes by about an inch

Mince garlic. Add it.
Dice carrots. Add it.
Cut celery. Add it.

Those vegetables are optional. Mix and match.

Add a dollop of milk. Enough to give it the good creamy white goodness we are looking for. Bring to a low boil. Periodically mash the potatoes in the pot down to help break them up as you stir.

Season to taste. I also like to add a little bit of cayenne because a little nip of heat is good sometimes. Cook until potatoes are mushy.

I made this recipe after hating every goddamn recipe I saw and made my own up. Seriously like every loving potato soup recipe was like "add chicken stock." No.

This is the soup that sticks to your bones and makes a cold rainy or snowy day good to eat one of these pots of soup.

I don't use measurements because I like interpretation. Except when baking cause that poo poo is crucial.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Who had a good cornbread recipe? I'm rather disappointed in what I've tried from the internet...not much better than the blue box mix.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

It is the fate of cornbread to generally be disappointing. When I seldomly do make it it's according to this recipe:

8.5 dl coarse polenta
3.5 dl cake flour
7 dl buttermilk
4 teaspoons baking soda
4 tbs melted butter or bacon grease
2 ts salt
2 eggs

Mix dry, add wets to make heavy batter. Pour into greased pan 20x25cm or so and bake at 220C for 20-25 minutes.

also this post is a revenge for all the times I've had to convert US measurements from the time when war was done with bows and spears

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I made hash from a potato and cauliflower curry I made last night and its really good.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Godholio posted:

Who had a good cornbread recipe? I'm rather disappointed in what I've tried from the internet...not much better than the blue box mix.

This is my go-to recipe.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/cornbread.html#blueribbon

Lots of pretty good stuff besides cornbread if you browse around.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Thanks. I'll give it a shot in a couple of weeks.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I've never made a whole pie from scratch till a few weeks ago. Made this sweet potato pie for Christmas dinner.

The crust was this :

Don't try to mix it in a blender and melt the butter first. I did this by hand after loving up the first batch trying to do it in a regular blender instead of a food processor (that I don't have). Wax paper and kneading worked just fine.

Pate Brisee for Plum Crumb Pie
Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Directions

Put flour, salt, and sugar in bowl of a food processor, and pulse to combine. Add butter, and process for about 10 seconds, or just until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

Add ice water, tablespoon by tablespoon (1/4 to 1/2 cup), through the feed tube with machine running, just until the dough holds together without being wet or sticky; do not process more than 30 seconds. Test the dough at this point by squeezing a small amount together. If it is crumbly, add a bit more water.

Divide dough in half, and wrap each half in plastic wrap, using a rolling pin to flatten into a disk. Chill until needed. Wrapped in plastic, dough can be frozen for several weeks before using.

The rest of the pie was this :

http://www.marthastewart.com/316561/sweet-potato-pie

Ingredients

All-purpose flour, for work surface
1/2 recipe Pate Brisee for Plum Crumb Pie
2 large sweet potatoes, (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Juice of half a lemon

Directions

On a lightly floured work surface, roll pate brisee into a 15-inch round. With a dry pastry brush, sweep off the excess flour; fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate, pressing it into the edges. Trim to a 1-inch overhang all around. Crimp edge as desired. Cover with plastic wrap; chill pie shell until firm, about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Fill a medium saucepan with 2 inches of water; place over high heat and bring to a boil. Fit saucepan with a steamer basket, add sweet potatoes, and cover. Steam until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 1 hour. You may need to add more water as sweet potatoes steam. Let sweet potatoes cool slightly before removing skins by rubbing potatoes with a paper towel.

Place sweet potatoes in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until the sweet potatoes are well mashed and any stringy pieces of sweet potato have wrapped themselves around the paddle attachment. Remove paddle attachment, wipe clean, and return to mixer.

With the mixer on low speed, add butter, and beat until well combined and cooled slightly. Slowly add sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and lemon juice. Continue beating until well combined.

Pour mixture into prepared pie crust. Transfer to oven and bake until center has set, 45 to 50 minutes

The pie owned. Going to make another one soon because gently caress ya pie.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You know whats good? Chips and salsa? You know whats better? Pineapple salsa! gently caress the winter cold.

Ingredients:
1 Pineapple
1 smallish red onion
1 non-green bell pepper
1 bundle of scallions
1 bundle of cilantro, around here that works out to a fist size of leaves.
6 limes, or equivalent fresh lime juice

-First finely dice a pineapple. (*See below about how to do this in reasonable time)
-As you dice it put it in a large mesh strainer over a bowl. (Or the drain, if youre some sort of wastrel)
-Let the juices drain, I normally let it sit for two hours, you'll probably get over a cup of juice per pineapple. (drink it for your S/O)
Meanwhile
-Rinse, core, and de-seed the pepper and then dice the meat of it, aiming for 1/8 to 1/4 inch bits, I like squares aesthetically
-Shuck and finely dice the red onion.
-Rinse and chop up the scallions into nice little rounds, don't go too far down the stem, as the parts closer to the root isn't as good.
-Rinse the cilantro well, then start stripping the leafy bits from the core stem, toss any that are going brown and shriveling. Once you have a nice pile of the leafy bits separated from their more bitter heavy stems roll and fold them into a night tight pile, then chop them into tiny bits too.

Once the pineapple has been separated from its delicious but all too excessive juice mix them all together in a bowl.
Squeeze the lime juices over the mixture,
Mix more.
Toss in the fridge until ready to serve
-When you're ready mix again before serving as even after 20 minutes all the lime and remaining pineapple juice have started settling again, and moist is good.

---

*The best way I know to finely dice a pineapple in under an hour*

-Chop off bottom, stand up and hold by leaves as you use a knife to strip the rind, if you want to be gentle for all the little brown divets depends on how much you care.
-Chop off the top and slice in half.
-Without cutting all the way through the core(!) Make slices radially and axially toward the core, try to get close, go nuts up and down its length and around it, then add in some other directions for good measure.
-Prop it up on its half bottom again, a corn cob poker helps but a fork into the core also helps, and start shaving off pineapple working your way to the core, it should fall away in millions of tiny pineapple bits, and a gallon of sticky juices which is why you should have that strainer handy.
-Repeat for second half and toss the cores.

And now I find out I don't have any saved pictures on my phone, I'll edit one in next time I make it.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

I know this was in GIP a while back...

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

You will need
1 package of tasty flour tortillas or sourdough bread will work
1 package of chicken or turkey raw sausages (not sweet ones mild or hot italian will do) about 4 sausages
3 or 4 bell peppers diced fajita style or 1 bag of diced frozen bell peppers
1 onion sliced fajita style
4 to 8 spoon fulls of balsamic vinegar
1 to 2 squeezed limes for juice discard seeds and rinds
At this point fresh garlic or garlic powder is in store to taste.

Now for the fun,

Cut sausages into 1 inch slices then fry until half way cooked then add the onion. Cook the onion just until they are almost cooked then add the bell peppers. Lets leave a little crunch to our veggies. Now comes the seasoning 4 spoons of balsamic 1 lime if you have it and if you are like me go hog wild with the garlic powder. Add balsamic and lime juice to taste. It is very easy to add salt to this recipe after it is cooked. Make tortilla like soft taco's or sourdough sandwiches.

Enjoy
Stinkypete

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
This is a good thread.

The only things I have in my kitchen food wise.

Onions
Rice
Flour
Sugar / brown sugar
Spices
Beans
Apple juice cause I am a loving child
Eggs
Canned tomato sauce

I tend to only make poo poo requiring just this. But boy do I really want to start making my own tomato sauce.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Ok lets start with rice onion and tomato sauce and hopefully you have some ever loving garlic! If you don't have garlic that is ok We will improvise.

Mexican rice first stove top style
You will need
Single Serving that can be doubled as needed

1 cup of rice
1 spoon of oil
half of an onion diced
2 cups of water in time DO NOT ADD THE WATER ALL AT ONCE!! YOU WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN
the before mentioned canned tomato sauce will come into play soon.

My tutorial was add a spoonful of oil to a pan then 1 cup of rice. Fry the dry rice until 80 percent opaque then slowly add onion and 2 cups of water slowly so you DO NOT BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! after you get a slow simmer add your tomato sauce to taste until your rice is tender.

Hot oil and water do not mix so please don't burn your house down

Salt and garlic will round this out if you have chicken bullion that is more of something I have found used way north of the border

Enjoy!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

stinkypete posted:

Ok lets start with rice onion and tomato sauce and hopefully you have some ever loving garlic! If you don't have garlic that is ok We will improvise.

Mexican rice first stove top style
You will need
Single Serving that can be doubled as needed

1 cup of rice
1 spoon of oil
half of an onion diced
2 cups of water in time DO NOT ADD THE WATER ALL AT ONCE!! YOU WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN
the before mentioned canned tomato sauce will come into play soon.

My tutorial was add a spoonful of oil to a pan then 1 cup of rice. Fry the dry rice until 80 percent opaque then slowly add onion and 2 cups of water slowly so you DO NOT BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN! after you get a slow simmer add your tomato sauce to taste until your rice is tender.

Hot oil and water do not mix so please don't burn your house down

Salt and garlic will round this out if you have chicken bullion that is more of something I have found used way north of the border

Enjoy!

Add toilet water for seasoning. Chase well with Patriots Choice TM for best results

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Godholio posted:

If you're not adding creamed corn, you may as well use a packet mix
Equipment: 10" cast iron pan
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup creamed corn
2 cups coarse polenta/cornmeal
1T sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Mix the wet, add to dry, whisk and pour into the pan to bake 200-220C for 20min

The corniest of cornbread.

E: I just googled my recipe and realised it's Alton Brown's recipe (from the food network). I had it in a word .doc so didn't remember where it came from. So ignore if you have already tried that and wasn't a fan.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 16, 2017

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Charcoal Master Race checking in.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

this is what i usually make it's p. good but i'm hardly the most experienced when it comes to cornbread

Keri's Blue Ribbon Cornbread

Keri Cathey has graciously shared her 1st place cornbread recipe from the 2002 Oklahoma State Fair with readers of The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board.

Ingredients List
1-1/2 cups plain cornmeal (not cornmeal mix or self-rising)
1/2 cup flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder (preferably Rumford)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar (up to 1/2 cup)
1-1/4 cup milk (fat-free works fine)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (can cut to 1/3 cup, if desired)
2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 400°F, placing pans in the oven while it heats. Keri uses a total of 4 pans: 3 cast iron cornstick pans, 1 cast aluminum cornstick pan, and 1 non-stick scone pan.

Blend dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Blend milk, oil, and eggs in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.

Remove hot pans from the oven one at a time and slip a small amount of Crisco or bacon drippings (about 1/4 teaspoon) into each stick form, brushing it to cover all surfaces well. Place pans back in the oven for a few minutes—you want them to be very hot.

Remove hot pan from the oven, set on a heat-proof surface, and using a Tablespoon from your silverware drawer, put a generous spoonful of batter into each form. You should have enough batter for 24 cornsticks and 8 thin crusty wedges.

Bake at 400°F until golden brown on the tops, about 15 minutes for the sticks and about 20 minutes for the wedges.

To remove cornbread from the pan, gently ease the tines of a fork under the edges of the cornstick and carefully pry up. If the pan was preheated and greased well, it should pop right out.

If you prefer, bake the whole recipe in a 9" cast iron skillet for about 30 minutes and cut into wedges to serve, or use a 9"x13" baking pan and cut into squares.

Keri does not recommend baking multiple batches with a single cornstick pan. When the pan cools between batches, it stands more of a chance of sticking. She suggests filling a single heated cornstick pan and putting the rest of the batter in a heated cast iron skillet.

Serve with pinto beans and fried taters, BBQ, or with just a cold glass of sweet milk.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Mad Dragon posted:

Charcoal Master Race checking in.

hells yeah

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

youtube starting putting videos of koreans eating american bbq for the first time, and it's pretty interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0TYCEXmi90

here's a bunch of escaped norks eating bbq and flipping out

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The other interviews with those North Koreans are good too. Interesting as hell to hear their stories.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah, theres another vid with south koreans thats interesting too

they all look amazed when the ribs come out

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

youtube starting putting videos of koreans eating american bbq for the first time, and it's pretty interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0TYCEXmi90

here's a bunch of escaped norks eating bbq and flipping out

:patriot:

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I need your finest waffle batter recipes

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Zeris posted:

I need your finest waffle batter recipes
I use whatever's on the Bisquick box.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/bisquick-waffles/1ef512cc-3fab-48fd-8a75-07956f66a276

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Even I have never had charcoal BBQ, ribs or even waffles :(
I didn't come from a family that cooks, so my only interest in cooking comes from "hobbietizing" a necessity when all other hobbies got too expensive to continue.
I needed something to do to prevent :sad: brains.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Fo3 posted:

I didn't come from a family that cooks, so my only interest in cooking comes from "hobbietizing" a necessity when all other hobbies got too expensive to continue.

I love cooking, and it's definitely one of my cheaper hobbies. I'm hoping I get this position that will have me working from home most days, gonna really start cranking out some bomb food.

Haven't smoked anything in like 6 months, I really need to fix that soon.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bengy81 posted:

I love cooking, and it's definitely one of my cheaper hobbies. I'm hoping I get this position that will have me working from home most days, gonna really start cranking out some bomb food.

Haven't smoked anything in like 6 months, I really need to fix that soon.

yes you do

smoking owns

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Fo3 posted:

So, what helped me was thinking of what I would like to make and eat, picking just one thing, but looking at several recipes and kind of picking and choosing what I liked and didn't and created my own.

Every time I did that I loved it. Try that.

My wife makes some killer loving beans and rice. It's poor people food, but it's delicious and healthy.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I'm OK in that regard. I really threw myself into it in 2011-2013 when I had funds. Collecting recipes and rewriting them, buying kitchen equipment. Trying to turn it into therapy while the going was good. I think I have about 400MB of recipes on my PC
Can pretty much do anything on a budget now, but in the end I i) lost everything and crashed, ii) not really enthusiastic about cooking anymore - it's a chore that I can easily do due to effort I put into it earlier, but I lost any interest as a hobby and have to prepare budget meals exclusively now.

E: I don't cook what I fancy to eat, IE never go shopping with recipes and ingredients to buy them at whatever the cost. I cook things based on seasons and sales.
When going shopping I make a rough sketch based on what I think is out there, then revise and revise based on what I find, improvising on what I come home with, so it becomes easy in the end to knock something up after building a repertoire over the years.

The only problem I have is feeding a fussy 4 y/o.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 1, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Trip report, pulled pork turned out good in a slow cooker.

Now I just need a good sauce.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
I binge watched nearly all of hells kitchen, kitchen nightmares, and master chef because gordon ramsay makes my panties wet.

also bring back chef scott

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
The Lady Booblord made chicken pot pie from scratch Monday. It was easily the single greatest meal I've ever had that wasn't Southern fried or BBQ'd

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Booblord Zagats posted:

The Lady Booblord

This made me laugh way harder than it should have.

Pot pie/Shepards pie is loving awesome, doubly so when homemade.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

MrYenko posted:

Pot pie/Shepards pie is loving awesome, doubly so when homemade.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Soulex posted:

So, what helped me was thinking of what I would like to make and eat, picking just one thing, but looking at several recipes and kind of picking and choosing what I liked and didn't and created my own.

Every time I did that I loved it. Try that.

My wife makes some killer loving beans and rice. It's poor people food, but it's delicious and healthy.

Have you got a recipie for that? I've never managed to make a taste beans and rice, I need to up my cheap food game.

e: Any of you guys make bread? I tried baking for the first time in a long while, it's a lot more hassle without a mixer machine. The dough is easy to make, just throw some stuff in a bowl, add water until it's evenly mixed but still sticky. I like using both fine and whole wheat flour, and with some boiled whole wheat grains. Gonna try making a knead-free bread in the weekend.

Selklubber fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 1, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
There's a beans thread in GWS you should look at (they won't hurt, they're ghosts). I think I put a recipe or two up there years ago, lots of good ideas from Cajun style to pro Jamaican coconut style I think.
Check the pot beans thread, the cajun/creole thread and the "help I'm poor and want to make good food" thread.
You won't run into anyone while in GWS.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My wife got some zojurushi or whatever the gently caress it's called and it's goddamn amazing.

Gluten gonna make my dick fly off or something but it's so good I don't care

• Locked thread