Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

My wife got some zojurushi or whatever the gently caress it's called and it's goddamn amazing.

Gluten gonna make my dick fly off or something but it's so good I don't care

That's a good brand of rice cooker.

I'm Irish/Korean (or Rice Paddy) so I grew up eating a lot of rice. A good rice cooker is essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

The Lady Booblord made chicken pot pie from scratch Monday. It was easily the single greatest meal I've ever had that wasn't Southern fried or BBQ'd

oh poo poo son

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Today's experiment: cold smoking some cheese.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

How did it turn out and what's your setup?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Beef stew today. It's got a real nice heat to it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Beef stew today. It's got a real nice heat to it.

That cast iron :heysexy:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

you got a gas oven? jealous

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea man. Gas ranges are pretty common in Chicago.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

bengy81 posted:

How did it turn out and what's your setup?
They look good, but I have to let them sit for two weeks before I can try them.

The setup was an empty soup can with some holes punched in the bottom. I put in a single piece of lit charcoal and a bunch of wood chips. The temperature got a little high, so I had to put a piece of aluminum foil over the top of can. I poked a hole in it with a screwdriver, and it held a pretty steady 64 degrees. Next time, I'll put a tray of ice under the cheese.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

They look good, but I have to let them sit for two weeks before I can try them.

The setup was an empty soup can with some holes punched in the bottom. I put in a single piece of lit charcoal and a bunch of wood chips. The temperature got a little high, so I had to put a piece of aluminum foil over the top of can. I poked a hole in it with a screwdriver, and it held a pretty steady 64 degrees. Next time, I'll put a tray of ice under the cheese.

I've thought about making a cold smoke box, but eh, effort...

Are those aftermarket racks in your smoker? They look dope as poo poo, want some for my Weber.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

bengy81 posted:

I've thought about making a cold smoke box, but eh, effort...

Are those aftermarket racks in your smoker? They look dope as poo poo, want some for my Weber.

Its' all standard on the master touch, but you can buy the hinged GBS rack separately.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Hinged-Plated-Cooking-Grate-Set-8835/202509599

I don't think the Weber warming rack is available separately, but you can make your own or buy an off-brand.

edit: or pay out the rear end on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Weber-8417-Warming-Rack/dp/B0012CH37I/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1486260080&sr=8-11&keywords=warming+rack+weber

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 5, 2017

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

Its' all standard on the master touch, but you can buy the hinged GBS rack separately.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Hinged-Plated-Cooking-Grate-Set-8835/202509599

I don't think the Weber warming rack is available separately, but you can make your own or buy an off-brand.

edit: or pay out the rear end on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Weber-8417-Warming-Rack/dp/B0012CH37I/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1486260080&sr=8-11&keywords=warming+rack+weber

Yeah gently caress those prices... there are pro BBQ companies that make custom racks and stuff, so I will probably go that way.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Deer roast wrapped in bacon. :yum:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mad Dragon posted:

yo yo yo what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck are you telling me you used a metal tin and a little bit of charcoal to make your hot smoker into a cold smoker??????

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hopefully getting a ton of wet snow in the morning. Got a chuck roast and will be celebrating if Cthulhu grants me a snow day with some crockpot action.

Mad Dragon posted:

Deer roast wrapped in bacon. :yum:

The good stuff right there.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Two Finger posted:

yo yo yo what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck are you telling me you used a metal tin and a little bit of charcoal to make your hot smoker into a cold smoker??????

You just have to be anal as hell with the temperature control and adjustment.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You just have to be anal as hell with the temperature control and adjustment.

hell my first smoker i had to basically stand on top of it anyway so that's nothing new

i gotta loving try this

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Yes. Kettle grills are loving awesome. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I can get it to 900+ degrees with my PizzaQue.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

Yes. Kettle grills are loving awesome. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I can get it to 900+ degrees with my PizzaQue.

i'm hoping it'll work with my WSM will try this weekend and report back

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Another way to do it is to put the tin outside your smoker and run a piece of flexible ducting to your smoker and that will keep the heat down lower.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bengy81 posted:

Another way to do it is to put the tin outside your smoker and run a piece of flexible ducting to your smoker and that will keep the heat down lower.

i figured if i have the waterbowl part full that'll be a big enough heat reservoir that it won't get too hot in there

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Two Finger posted:

i figured if i have the waterbowl part full that'll be a big enough heat reservoir that it won't get too hot in there

Fill it with ice.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Throw a chunk of dry ice in the water bowl and you should be fine

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

Fill it with ice.

oh yeah. worth a shot. how long do you smoke it for and why is it you rest it for two weeks?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Two Finger posted:

oh yeah. worth a shot. how long do you smoke it for and why is it you rest it for two weeks?

I did mine for about 2.5 hours. This is my first time smoking cheese, so I have no idea how it's going to turn out.:shrug:

The cheese was way too strong fresh out to the smoker. Letting it chill in the fridge for a few weeks helps it absorb the flavor. Or something like that. The Weber Kettle club has a pretty good write up about smoking cheese.

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2015/07/26/how-to-cold-smoke-on-a-weber/

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgPOJPTo_A

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

what the gently caress did i just watch

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

haha that dude owns

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
AvE is quite possibly the best channel on YouTube.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Really, what was he trying to accomplish with that potato?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Because he can.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I feel like "reverse Rhodesian reach-around" is a phrase I should start using more often.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

She's a skookum choocher.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Chicken stew cooking all day in the crock pot

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Tomato sauce round 2. Immersion blenders own, you guys. I might have overdone it so what I do have is like pizza sauce but whatever.

See you in 4 hours.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

looking good

i made chilli a while back

maffew buildings informs me that i'm a failure because i used beans and onions and tomatoes but if there's anything i've learnt about american cooking it's that your way is the best way no matter how you're doing it

came out pretty good even if i was a little heavy handed on the chili powder

who else makes bread in here? gonna do a couple loaves today

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Almost every day I make a mini pizza or dipping bread from scratch.

Kneading the dough gives me time to think about poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Anybody who poo poos chili with beans, onions, or tomatoes is doing chili weird. Not wrong, just weird. I like using black beans.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i would eat that

• Locked thread