Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Two Finger posted:

i would eat that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

gently caress I love having fresh bread

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Two Finger posted:

gently caress I love having fresh bread

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Post some bread advice man, I have never done it and have always wanted to.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Zeris posted:

Bread machines are easy mode, and they make some pretty good bread. I got one as a gift, and I love it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

Bread machines are easy mode, and they make some pretty good bread. I got one as a gift, and I love it.

WRONG

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I made two baguettes this weekend that came out great. Here's what I've found turned me from a bad baker to a good baker:

1. Don't use a bread machine

2. Make sure your yeast is live. Old packets of yeast may be dead. Drop your yeast into your mixing bowl, and add three tablespoons of water to the yeast. Use a digital thermometer to make sure the water is around 110 degrees F. 105-115 is good; any colder and the yeast won't activate, any hotter and you kill the yeast. Let the yeast hang out with the water for about five minutes before continuing.

3. Sift your dry ingredients. Just trust me on this one, sifting your flour will give you a better end result.

4. Actually knead your dough for 10-12 minutes so it gets the consistency you need

5. The yeast still need a fairly warm temperature in order to rise. I crank the heat in my apartment nearly to 80 to get a good rise. 75-85 is a good spot for rising dough. Put a towel over the bowl with your dough and don't peek for the full two hours.

6. Don't use a bread machine

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The bread I make most often is out of a book called "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" because you filthy Americans wouldn't know good bread if the yeast gave you an infection. Like it's a seriously good book got recipes for crumpets, French bread, about a billion variations including rice, potato bread, dumplings, pancakes, pizzas etc.

Anyway the basic loaf she talks about is as follows, and she even gives the quantities in imperial for people who can't understand the Queen's measurements:
550g (20 oz) wheatmeal flour

OR

450g (16oz) white high grade flour
AND
120g (4oz) 100% wholemeal

compressed yeast 15g (1/2 oz) OR dried yeast 10g (1/2 oz)
rock or sea salt 20g (3/4 oz)
water at blood heat 340g (12oz)

And you want a 2lb loaf tin - 4 to 4 1/2 inches depth with a capacity of 3 to 3 1/2 pints

Easy as poo poo to make. Cover the yeast in a little blood heat water and set aside - takes about 10 minutes or so to yeastify.
Chuck your flour and salt in a big bowl or whatever you have - I often use a soup pot because I double the recipe and it's the biggest thing I've got. Mix with a whisk or whatever. If you have an electric mixer use the dough hook.
While the yeast is... yeasting or whatever it does, put the flour in the oven on really low heat like 50 degrees C or 110-120 F.
Once your yeast has expanded whip it with a fork into a creamy paste. Your flour should be warmish by now - you only want a little warmth in it to promote the action of the yeast.
Pour the yeast into the flour-salt mix and mix it in. Then pour the water in and continue to mix. It's a pretty good arm workout.
You may need to add a little extra flour - you want it "lithe and elastic. Work it until it comes away easily from the sides of the bowl"
Form it into a ball then sprinkle a little flour over the top and cover with clingfilm or whatever you guys call it.
Set it aside - because of the heating you did in the oven on anything but a really cold as poo poo day you don't need a special place to put it for it to rise.

Leave it about two hours - it should double in size - before kneading it.
Punch it down to expel the gasses, then start kneading.
I normally do it on a chopping board that I've sprinkled with flour beforehand to try stop it sticking to loving everything.
Get it flat, fold it in on itself in thirds, get it flat again, rinse, repeat. The book recommends 3-4 minutes of this.
Once this is done you're ready for the second rising.
I do this in the tin which I line with baking paper beforehand. The book recommends just greasing it with oil or fat, but for me baking paper works fine.
So once you've kneaded it, form it with the folds underneath so you get that nice loaf appearance, chuck it in the tin, then cover again with clingfilm/polyethylene/whatever.
Leave to rise for 45 minutes to an hour. Remove clingfilm and put in the oven as close to the middle as possible.
You want the oven at 425 to 450F (220-230C) for the first 15 minutes, reducing to 400 (205) for the next 15.
Get the loaf out of the tin, then put it back on its side for the last 15-20 minutes at 350F (180C).
"When it is sufficiently baked the loaf gives out a resonant sound when you tap the sides and the bottom crust with your knuckles."
Leave to cool on a rack or lying across the empty tin.

DO NOT COVER. You cover it and it'll go soft immediately. Leaving it to cool naturally it'll maintain a crunchy crust.
Half the reason I make two loaves is that one is invariably at least halfway gone by the time it's cooled. Hot bread straight out of the oven loving owns.

I normally mix in a handful of pumpkin and sunflower seeds at the mixing stage as well for that extra bit of goodness.

Have a try - I only started baking bread last year and I seriously had no idea how easy it was, and it'll be about five thousand times better than buying it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Zeris posted:

So there are a couple different directions you can go.
I'm personally not a big fan of bread machines, but they can be had for like 10 bux at thrift stores, or I'm sure your gram gram has one she doesn't use that she would be happy to give to you.

I like dutch ovens for making bread, there are a bunch of different no knead versions that cook up great in a dutch oven, keep in mind that you can also bake most fancy crusty bread recipes in a dutch oven as well.
Here are good examples:
http://www.lecreuset.com/dutch-oven-bread This one needs more salt but the general idea is straight

Pretty good no knead recipe: http://www.girlversusdough.com/2015/08/13/no-knead-dutch-oven-bread/

More traditional bread stuff:
Get a baking stone, you can spend 40 bux and get a pizza stone, or you can go to HD or Lowes and get a pack of unglazed terrazo tiles for like 20 bucks.
Get this book
Make great bread

Hot tips:
Good bread needs good flour, so you want to use King Arthur or Bob's or poo poo like that.
Order yeast off of Amazon, you can get a 1lb brick for like 6 bucks, which will probably last you a year or more if you take care of it.
Get decent bread pans, ATK has some good recommendations, Nordicware or whatever, stay away from gimmicky silicone poo poo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Dang well I should get into the bread game

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

You really should.
I always used to think it takes too long to bother with, but seriously - it's about 15 minutes of your time spread over a longer period. The book mentions that you might do the mixing the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight to do the rest in the morning, or you can do the initial mixing when you get home, knead around dinner and pull it out of the oven before you go to bed.
It's absolutely worth the effort.
Not to mention cost-wise - a decent loaf of bread here is about 3 dollars, I priced up homemade bread to work out at around 60-70 cents a loaf.

Breadmakers are now probatable.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

You got that hot dutch oven, make some bread in it bb

Edit: the problem with baking in a breadmaker is that the bread cooks vertically, so the loaf gets a weird grain. They are ok to make dough in though.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 21, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
so every bread recipe that gives you poo poo in volume is a god drat liar but the poo poo can work

like EBBJ said sift your poo poo since flour can be more or less packed or a fine or coarse grain

Look up a bakers percentage for bread. It is done in weight.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/bakers-percentage.html

Take the total weight of your flour and that is 100% of the weight. Then you will need water, salt, and yeast and normally those are given as a percentage of the flours weight.

So if you got 5 pounds of flower, that is 100%, and you want 66% water, which is then 66% of 5 pounds or 10/3 pounds. Dear god use metric it is easier.

Since that poo poo is more complicated than most people want, they just do it in volume and forget about it.

I don't have a recipe for you but if you want to do this by hand, always be more generous with water than you are with flour. It is easier for me to make a overly sticky dough less sticky than to make a dry dough moist. You generally want dough to be a bit sticky.

Yeast sucks rear end since we got a few different kinds (just 2 but lots of names) but it is generally a sit and wait deal. You got your instant or dry yeast. You also got yeast starters from sourdough, cake yeast, rapid yeast, what ever. Most yeast is the same except what temperature you start at. A lot of names don't translate well from country to country for what ever reason.

This is my morning or nightly routine. Heat up water, wait to see some bubbles, pour about 120 ml into a measuring cup. Add some sugar, check temperature, wait for it to hit about 110 F, add yeast, then forget about it for 5 minutes.

Come back, throw flour, salt, and anything extra into a bowl, add water, use spoon to initially mix, cover hands in flour and mix that poo poo with your hands. It won't take long if you got the measurements right. In total this is maybe 15-20 minutes if you include the yeast proofing.

Let sit for 1 hour. Cover it how ever you want to. Plastic wrap, towel, what ever. I put a clean kitchen rag over the bowl I mixed in and put a plate over it. Let sit in a cool area for 1-4 hours or until I forget about it.

Then just roll it up when I am ready. Look up shaping dough if you want to do some neat loaf shapes. If you are a slob like me and don't care if your food is pretty, just put it how you want.

You will learn pretty fast why people pre-cut their bread as well after your first attempt.

Your yeast may go bad at some point but I've noticed with the jars I buy that the yeast is very active when I buy it and do the proofing test with sugar and just as active later but doesn't show as well when proofing. I thought the yeast was dead multiple times yet the bread was still rising.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Two Finger posted:

The book mentions that you might do the mixing the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight to do the rest in the morning,

I will literally do this at night and cook it then since it doesn't take long then shove the cooked poo poo into the fridge.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also lets talk cleaning. You got two options if you mix dough in a bowl.

Let it dry out and scrape it or let it soak for a good while and gently caress up a sponge.

Or use something with non stick.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dough hook didn't want to come off my mixer yesterday. A bit of oil and some elbow grease got it off after a fight but I need to do something about the oxidization gumming it up.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Also lets talk cleaning. You got two options if you mix dough in a bowl.

Let it dry out and scrape it or let it soak for a good while and gently caress up a sponge.

Or use something with non stick.

Spray your bowl with oil duder, makes clean up a lot easier.

To add to recipe chat, keep in mind that how much water you use if very much dependent on humidity. I live in a dry climate, so I usually have to add 10 - 15% more moisture to recipes than called for.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I probably should oil my bowl, gently caress I'll do that next time.

atm just applying a better coat on my cast iron since I used a poo poo oil last time

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
no knead bread:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

Let it hang out in the fridge for a couple of days before baking.
Definitely add some percentage of whole wheat flour. I don't really like the loaf that comes from just using all purpose flour. But if just using white flour chuck in some "bread improver" or some proper bread flour for extra protein/gluten - like a 1/4 cup or something.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 21, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Brining up a chicken. Friend from the US is visiting tomorrow and she is one of the ones that introduced me to bbq in the first place. Feels appropriate to be serving her kiwi style.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 21, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

This is my favorite cheap dish

https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/shakshuka/

Its Peppers, onion, eggs, garlic, two cans of tomato and served on bread. If you skip the feta and use toasted regular bread that's whole wheat its really cheap.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 21, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Interesting. For me it's not shakshuka unless it has harissa paste.
Of course there's more than one way to skin a cat and my second favourite preparation is Italian style " Eggs in purgatory". Go for it if you love salty flavours (anchovies, capers, sliced black kalamata olives), all the stuff that makes a puttanesca sauce good. You might not be a cumin, paprika or harissa fan and prefer italian, who knows?

No affililation to the SK site or this particular version, just using the same source as the above recipe to show the differences and using the same site seems best.
https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/03/eggs-in-purgatory-puttanesca-style/

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 22, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Chickens brined, rubbed, and in the smoke. Dinner's in 6 hours, head over.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Came out pretty good

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Two Finger posted:

Came out pretty good

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's the end of an era. My parents are selling their place so tonight might be the last night I ever spend here.
What better way than to celebrate with good old fashioned American bbq.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Want a portable smoker? These have been getting some positive attention lately. Seriously thinking about picking one up in a couple of months.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Two Finger posted:

Chickens brined, rubbed, and in the smoke. Dinner's in 6 hours, head over.

What's that rub?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

my secret specialty

go rob holly boops he has a bunch i sent him for secret satan

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm trying to smoke a bunch of trout today. Put them in a brine for a few hours, then on the smoker, trying to do them at 190 for two hours.

So of course the wind picks up and I can't g t my smoker to stay above 150. I've used 8 lbs of charcoal so far, and it's been three hours. So I'm about to say gently caress it and either throw them away, or try to finish them on my gas grill.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
drat now I'm in a meat frenzy.

I made duck on Friday, Alton-brown style (quartered, brined, steamed ~45m then finished on a preheated cast iron at 475, skin down). I got a solid 4oz of duck fat from rendering it out of the skin, and tried cracklins for the first time in my life. loving amazing.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I love duck, I wish I wasn't the only one in my house that did, I would love I cook up some.

Gonna have to take up bird hunting again, I miss having pheasant and goose and duck around all the time.

TROUT UPDATE:
Said gently caress it and moved my smoker closer to the house to break some of the wind. Temperature is climbing again, so I should be in good shape.

If I can get it to 180 and hold for a half hour I should be in good shape.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh hey grover

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Oh hey grover

idgi

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

moved my smoker closer to the house

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Ah, gotcha.

It's even more exciting, we haven't had poo poo for moisture in the last month, and when it gets windy like this, all the leaves and trash from the neighborhood blow into my backyard. So getting nice smoked fish is secondary to not burning my block down at the moment.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

dear goons

convince me to not make this next weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4T22gLIv3s

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Third World Reggin posted:

dear goons

convince me to not make this next weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4T22gLIv3s

why

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A man who doesn't eat pork bun is not a whole man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I want one of those weber bullet smokers so drat bad

my apartment's lease won't let me have a bbq, but I built an alton brown flowerpot smoker and got away with using it in my courtyard last year. Worked really well except loading in chips was a hassle and then one of the pots cracked which will push the total cost over into buying a real smoker lol

Anyone ever use an electric? Looks like I can get a small one for $100-150.

• Locked thread