Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Sup gips
As you all know I'm right into my cooking
I've seen a lot of people jamming out on pot roasts and the like, share and talk about your cooking ideas here

Here's a video of my most recent ribs, done on new years eve at my mates place along with a beef rump cap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LklB3wYR37Y

Feel free to tell me how poo poo they look and post your own videos of you doing much better
Let's trade recipes and ideas but I'm not giving out my sauce recipe - first thing I learnt about barbecue is that you never give your secrets away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

Who had a good cornbread recipe? I'm rather disappointed in what I've tried from the internet...not much better than the blue box mix.

this is what i usually make it's p. good but i'm hardly the most experienced when it comes to cornbread

Keri's Blue Ribbon Cornbread

Keri Cathey has graciously shared her 1st place cornbread recipe from the 2002 Oklahoma State Fair with readers of The Virtual Weber Bulletin Board.

Ingredients List
1-1/2 cups plain cornmeal (not cornmeal mix or self-rising)
1/2 cup flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder (preferably Rumford)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar (up to 1/2 cup)
1-1/4 cup milk (fat-free works fine)
1/2 cup vegetable oil (can cut to 1/3 cup, if desired)
2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 400°F, placing pans in the oven while it heats. Keri uses a total of 4 pans: 3 cast iron cornstick pans, 1 cast aluminum cornstick pan, and 1 non-stick scone pan.

Blend dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Blend milk, oil, and eggs in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.

Remove hot pans from the oven one at a time and slip a small amount of Crisco or bacon drippings (about 1/4 teaspoon) into each stick form, brushing it to cover all surfaces well. Place pans back in the oven for a few minutes—you want them to be very hot.

Remove hot pan from the oven, set on a heat-proof surface, and using a Tablespoon from your silverware drawer, put a generous spoonful of batter into each form. You should have enough batter for 24 cornsticks and 8 thin crusty wedges.

Bake at 400°F until golden brown on the tops, about 15 minutes for the sticks and about 20 minutes for the wedges.

To remove cornbread from the pan, gently ease the tines of a fork under the edges of the cornstick and carefully pry up. If the pan was preheated and greased well, it should pop right out.

If you prefer, bake the whole recipe in a 9" cast iron skillet for about 30 minutes and cut into wedges to serve, or use a 9"x13" baking pan and cut into squares.

Keri does not recommend baking multiple batches with a single cornstick pan. When the pan cools between batches, it stands more of a chance of sticking. She suggests filling a single heated cornstick pan and putting the rest of the batter in a heated cast iron skillet.

Serve with pinto beans and fried taters, BBQ, or with just a cold glass of sweet milk.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bengy81 posted:

I love cooking, and it's definitely one of my cheaper hobbies. I'm hoping I get this position that will have me working from home most days, gonna really start cranking out some bomb food.

Haven't smoked anything in like 6 months, I really need to fix that soon.

yes you do

smoking owns

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

Today's experiment: cold smoking some cheese.

yo yo yo what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck are you telling me you used a metal tin and a little bit of charcoal to make your hot smoker into a cold smoker??????

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You just have to be anal as hell with the temperature control and adjustment.

hell my first smoker i had to basically stand on top of it anyway so that's nothing new

i gotta loving try this

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

Yes. Kettle grills are loving awesome. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I can get it to 900+ degrees with my PizzaQue.

i'm hoping it'll work with my WSM will try this weekend and report back

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bengy81 posted:

Another way to do it is to put the tin outside your smoker and run a piece of flexible ducting to your smoker and that will keep the heat down lower.

i figured if i have the waterbowl part full that'll be a big enough heat reservoir that it won't get too hot in there

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

Fill it with ice.

oh yeah. worth a shot. how long do you smoke it for and why is it you rest it for two weeks?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

haha that dude owns

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

looking good

i made chilli a while back

maffew buildings informs me that i'm a failure because i used beans and onions and tomatoes but if there's anything i've learnt about american cooking it's that your way is the best way no matter how you're doing it

came out pretty good even if i was a little heavy handed on the chili powder

who else makes bread in here? gonna do a couple loaves today

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i would eat that

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress I love having fresh bread

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Mad Dragon posted:

Bread machines are easy mode, and they make some pretty good bread. I got one as a gift, and I love it.

WRONG

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The bread I make most often is out of a book called "English Bread and Yeast Cookery" because you filthy Americans wouldn't know good bread if the yeast gave you an infection. Like it's a seriously good book got recipes for crumpets, French bread, about a billion variations including rice, potato bread, dumplings, pancakes, pizzas etc.

Anyway the basic loaf she talks about is as follows, and she even gives the quantities in imperial for people who can't understand the Queen's measurements:
550g (20 oz) wheatmeal flour

OR

450g (16oz) white high grade flour
AND
120g (4oz) 100% wholemeal

compressed yeast 15g (1/2 oz) OR dried yeast 10g (1/2 oz)
rock or sea salt 20g (3/4 oz)
water at blood heat 340g (12oz)

And you want a 2lb loaf tin - 4 to 4 1/2 inches depth with a capacity of 3 to 3 1/2 pints

Easy as poo poo to make. Cover the yeast in a little blood heat water and set aside - takes about 10 minutes or so to yeastify.
Chuck your flour and salt in a big bowl or whatever you have - I often use a soup pot because I double the recipe and it's the biggest thing I've got. Mix with a whisk or whatever. If you have an electric mixer use the dough hook.
While the yeast is... yeasting or whatever it does, put the flour in the oven on really low heat like 50 degrees C or 110-120 F.
Once your yeast has expanded whip it with a fork into a creamy paste. Your flour should be warmish by now - you only want a little warmth in it to promote the action of the yeast.
Pour the yeast into the flour-salt mix and mix it in. Then pour the water in and continue to mix. It's a pretty good arm workout.
You may need to add a little extra flour - you want it "lithe and elastic. Work it until it comes away easily from the sides of the bowl"
Form it into a ball then sprinkle a little flour over the top and cover with clingfilm or whatever you guys call it.
Set it aside - because of the heating you did in the oven on anything but a really cold as poo poo day you don't need a special place to put it for it to rise.

Leave it about two hours - it should double in size - before kneading it.
Punch it down to expel the gasses, then start kneading.
I normally do it on a chopping board that I've sprinkled with flour beforehand to try stop it sticking to loving everything.
Get it flat, fold it in on itself in thirds, get it flat again, rinse, repeat. The book recommends 3-4 minutes of this.
Once this is done you're ready for the second rising.
I do this in the tin which I line with baking paper beforehand. The book recommends just greasing it with oil or fat, but for me baking paper works fine.
So once you've kneaded it, form it with the folds underneath so you get that nice loaf appearance, chuck it in the tin, then cover again with clingfilm/polyethylene/whatever.
Leave to rise for 45 minutes to an hour. Remove clingfilm and put in the oven as close to the middle as possible.
You want the oven at 425 to 450F (220-230C) for the first 15 minutes, reducing to 400 (205) for the next 15.
Get the loaf out of the tin, then put it back on its side for the last 15-20 minutes at 350F (180C).
"When it is sufficiently baked the loaf gives out a resonant sound when you tap the sides and the bottom crust with your knuckles."
Leave to cool on a rack or lying across the empty tin.

DO NOT COVER. You cover it and it'll go soft immediately. Leaving it to cool naturally it'll maintain a crunchy crust.
Half the reason I make two loaves is that one is invariably at least halfway gone by the time it's cooled. Hot bread straight out of the oven loving owns.

I normally mix in a handful of pumpkin and sunflower seeds at the mixing stage as well for that extra bit of goodness.

Have a try - I only started baking bread last year and I seriously had no idea how easy it was, and it'll be about five thousand times better than buying it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

holocaust bloopers posted:

Dang well I should get into the bread game

You really should.
I always used to think it takes too long to bother with, but seriously - it's about 15 minutes of your time spread over a longer period. The book mentions that you might do the mixing the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight to do the rest in the morning, or you can do the initial mixing when you get home, knead around dinner and pull it out of the oven before you go to bed.
It's absolutely worth the effort.
Not to mention cost-wise - a decent loaf of bread here is about 3 dollars, I priced up homemade bread to work out at around 60-70 cents a loaf.

Breadmakers are now probatable.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Brining up a chicken. Friend from the US is visiting tomorrow and she is one of the ones that introduced me to bbq in the first place. Feels appropriate to be serving her kiwi style.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 21, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Chickens brined, rubbed, and in the smoke. Dinner's in 6 hours, head over.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Came out pretty good

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's the end of an era. My parents are selling their place so tonight might be the last night I ever spend here.
What better way than to celebrate with good old fashioned American bbq.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

my secret specialty

go rob holly boops he has a bunch i sent him for secret satan

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh hey grover

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

moved my smoker closer to the house

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A man who doesn't eat pork bun is not a whole man

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

From what I've heard you can get good results with one but I've never used them. Jump onto amazingribs.com or smoking-meat.com and have a look there, and if you do get one make sure to post your results here.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Suck my shortrib from the back

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh yeah this is how my ribs came out

https://youtu.be/eaM6Q6QgKLI

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What kind of a loving rack is that?

Are you GoPro wide-angling that poo poo, or are those some really huge rib bones?

I've been smoking ribs for nigh a decade now, and even with the occasional rack of beef ribs from a mutant specops bovine, I've never seen rib bones that wide.

They were beef shortrib. Idk they look normal size to me? Maybe your cattle just suck

I just recorded it from my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just grabbed the leftovers to check and they measure at 2 inch across by 9 inch long. Idk I mean is that big?

• Locked thread