Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
This is a good thread.

The only things I have in my kitchen food wise.

Onions
Rice
Flour
Sugar / brown sugar
Spices
Beans
Apple juice cause I am a loving child
Eggs
Canned tomato sauce

I tend to only make poo poo requiring just this. But boy do I really want to start making my own tomato sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Trip report, pulled pork turned out good in a slow cooker.

Now I just need a good sauce.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgPOJPTo_A

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Almost every day I make a mini pizza or dipping bread from scratch.

Kneading the dough gives me time to think about poo poo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

so every bread recipe that gives you poo poo in volume is a god drat liar but the poo poo can work

like EBBJ said sift your poo poo since flour can be more or less packed or a fine or coarse grain

Look up a bakers percentage for bread. It is done in weight.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/bakers-percentage.html

Take the total weight of your flour and that is 100% of the weight. Then you will need water, salt, and yeast and normally those are given as a percentage of the flours weight.

So if you got 5 pounds of flower, that is 100%, and you want 66% water, which is then 66% of 5 pounds or 10/3 pounds. Dear god use metric it is easier.

Since that poo poo is more complicated than most people want, they just do it in volume and forget about it.

I don't have a recipe for you but if you want to do this by hand, always be more generous with water than you are with flour. It is easier for me to make a overly sticky dough less sticky than to make a dry dough moist. You generally want dough to be a bit sticky.

Yeast sucks rear end since we got a few different kinds (just 2 but lots of names) but it is generally a sit and wait deal. You got your instant or dry yeast. You also got yeast starters from sourdough, cake yeast, rapid yeast, what ever. Most yeast is the same except what temperature you start at. A lot of names don't translate well from country to country for what ever reason.

This is my morning or nightly routine. Heat up water, wait to see some bubbles, pour about 120 ml into a measuring cup. Add some sugar, check temperature, wait for it to hit about 110 F, add yeast, then forget about it for 5 minutes.

Come back, throw flour, salt, and anything extra into a bowl, add water, use spoon to initially mix, cover hands in flour and mix that poo poo with your hands. It won't take long if you got the measurements right. In total this is maybe 15-20 minutes if you include the yeast proofing.

Let sit for 1 hour. Cover it how ever you want to. Plastic wrap, towel, what ever. I put a clean kitchen rag over the bowl I mixed in and put a plate over it. Let sit in a cool area for 1-4 hours or until I forget about it.

Then just roll it up when I am ready. Look up shaping dough if you want to do some neat loaf shapes. If you are a slob like me and don't care if your food is pretty, just put it how you want.

You will learn pretty fast why people pre-cut their bread as well after your first attempt.

Your yeast may go bad at some point but I've noticed with the jars I buy that the yeast is very active when I buy it and do the proofing test with sugar and just as active later but doesn't show as well when proofing. I thought the yeast was dead multiple times yet the bread was still rising.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Two Finger posted:

The book mentions that you might do the mixing the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight to do the rest in the morning,

I will literally do this at night and cook it then since it doesn't take long then shove the cooked poo poo into the fridge.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Also lets talk cleaning. You got two options if you mix dough in a bowl.

Let it dry out and scrape it or let it soak for a good while and gently caress up a sponge.

Or use something with non stick.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I probably should oil my bowl, gently caress I'll do that next time.

atm just applying a better coat on my cast iron since I used a poo poo oil last time

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

dear goons

convince me to not make this next weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4T22gLIv3s

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=basFyoMSjds

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

http://lewisandquark.tumblr.com/tagged/cookbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So I was looking into getting a fancy container for my cooking oil and I fell upon this page and welp I hope you are a sperg

https://sha.org/bottle/typing.htm

• Locked thread