Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

So since its cold, Im gonna part ways with a killer recipe for potato soup. Don't judge off the bat, this stuff is actually good. People who liked it and didn't have to say they did.

Soulex's Spud Soup. 2 hours.

You will need:
Bacon (good bacon, like smoked and uncured or whatever)
Carrots
Garlic
Potatoes
Milk
Water
Salt
Pepper
Yellow onion

Dude up your bacon. Dice. Autocorrect did that and it was too late to go back and change it. Also dice up an onion. Put them both in a pot and cook those things at like medium heat. You want the onion translucent.

Add water. Just a little to prevent burning. Add some of your potatoes. I typically get good Idaho gold or whatever. A good way to gauge potato is people served plus one. So you by yourself is 2 potatoes.

You will cut potatoes in two ways now. You can leave the skins on or off it doesn't matter. Cut the ends off so it is flat on both ends. The ends go in one pile and the other another. Cube the potato "meat" into bite-sized pieces. Now mince the ends. You want these to be thin as possible. The reason being is the small bits will fall apart and thicken your soup for you without having to add flour or cornstarch. Add them to pot. Add water to cover potatoes by about an inch

Mince garlic. Add it.
Dice carrots. Add it.
Cut celery. Add it.

Those vegetables are optional. Mix and match.

Add a dollop of milk. Enough to give it the good creamy white goodness we are looking for. Bring to a low boil. Periodically mash the potatoes in the pot down to help break them up as you stir.

Season to taste. I also like to add a little bit of cayenne because a little nip of heat is good sometimes. Cook until potatoes are mushy.

I made this recipe after hating every goddamn recipe I saw and made my own up. Seriously like every loving potato soup recipe was like "add chicken stock." No.

This is the soup that sticks to your bones and makes a cold rainy or snowy day good to eat one of these pots of soup.

I don't use measurements because I like interpretation. Except when baking cause that poo poo is crucial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Fo3 posted:

Even I have never had charcoal BBQ, ribs or even waffles :(
I didn't come from a family that cooks, so my only interest in cooking comes from "hobbietizing" a necessity when all other hobbies got too expensive to continue.
I needed something to do to prevent :sad: brains.

So, what helped me was thinking of what I would like to make and eat, picking just one thing, but looking at several recipes and kind of picking and choosing what I liked and didn't and created my own.

Every time I did that I loved it. Try that.

My wife makes some killer loving beans and rice. It's poor people food, but it's delicious and healthy.

• Locked thread