Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bengy81
May 8, 2010

Godholio posted:

Who had a good cornbread recipe? I'm rather disappointed in what I've tried from the internet...not much better than the blue box mix.

This is my go-to recipe.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/cornbread.html#blueribbon

Lots of pretty good stuff besides cornbread if you browse around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Fo3 posted:

Even I have never had charcoal BBQ, ribs or even waffles :(
I didn't come from a family that cooks, so my only interest in cooking comes from "hobbietizing" a necessity when all other hobbies got too expensive to continue.
I needed something to do to prevent :sad: brains.

I love cooking, and it's definitely one of my cheaper hobbies. I'm hoping I get this position that will have me working from home most days, gonna really start cranking out some bomb food.

Haven't smoked anything in like 6 months, I really need to fix that soon.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

Today's experiment: cold smoking some cheese.

How did it turn out and what's your setup?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Beef stew today. It's got a real nice heat to it.

That cast iron :heysexy:

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

They look good, but I have to let them sit for two weeks before I can try them.

The setup was an empty soup can with some holes punched in the bottom. I put in a single piece of lit charcoal and a bunch of wood chips. The temperature got a little high, so I had to put a piece of aluminum foil over the top of can. I poked a hole in it with a screwdriver, and it held a pretty steady 64 degrees. Next time, I'll put a tray of ice under the cheese.

I've thought about making a cold smoke box, but eh, effort...

Are those aftermarket racks in your smoker? They look dope as poo poo, want some for my Weber.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mad Dragon posted:

Its' all standard on the master touch, but you can buy the hinged GBS rack separately.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Hinged-Plated-Cooking-Grate-Set-8835/202509599

I don't think the Weber warming rack is available separately, but you can make your own or buy an off-brand.

edit: or pay out the rear end on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Weber-8417-Warming-Rack/dp/B0012CH37I/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1486260080&sr=8-11&keywords=warming+rack+weber

Yeah gently caress those prices... there are pro BBQ companies that make custom racks and stuff, so I will probably go that way.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Two Finger posted:

yo yo yo what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck are you telling me you used a metal tin and a little bit of charcoal to make your hot smoker into a cold smoker??????

Another way to do it is to put the tin outside your smoker and run a piece of flexible ducting to your smoker and that will keep the heat down lower.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Two Finger posted:

i figured if i have the waterbowl part full that'll be a big enough heat reservoir that it won't get too hot in there

Throw a chunk of dry ice in the water bowl and you should be fine

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Zeris posted:

Post some bread advice man, I have never done it and have always wanted to.

So there are a couple different directions you can go.
I'm personally not a big fan of bread machines, but they can be had for like 10 bux at thrift stores, or I'm sure your gram gram has one she doesn't use that she would be happy to give to you.

I like dutch ovens for making bread, there are a bunch of different no knead versions that cook up great in a dutch oven, keep in mind that you can also bake most fancy crusty bread recipes in a dutch oven as well.
Here are good examples:
http://www.lecreuset.com/dutch-oven-bread This one needs more salt but the general idea is straight

Pretty good no knead recipe: http://www.girlversusdough.com/2015/08/13/no-knead-dutch-oven-bread/

More traditional bread stuff:
Get a baking stone, you can spend 40 bux and get a pizza stone, or you can go to HD or Lowes and get a pack of unglazed terrazo tiles for like 20 bucks.
Get this book
Make great bread

Hot tips:
Good bread needs good flour, so you want to use King Arthur or Bob's or poo poo like that.
Order yeast off of Amazon, you can get a 1lb brick for like 6 bucks, which will probably last you a year or more if you take care of it.
Get decent bread pans, ATK has some good recommendations, Nordicware or whatever, stay away from gimmicky silicone poo poo.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Dang well I should get into the bread game

You got that hot dutch oven, make some bread in it bb

Edit: the problem with baking in a breadmaker is that the bread cooks vertically, so the loaf gets a weird grain. They are ok to make dough in though.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 21, 2017

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

Also lets talk cleaning. You got two options if you mix dough in a bowl.

Let it dry out and scrape it or let it soak for a good while and gently caress up a sponge.

Or use something with non stick.

Spray your bowl with oil duder, makes clean up a lot easier.

To add to recipe chat, keep in mind that how much water you use if very much dependent on humidity. I live in a dry climate, so I usually have to add 10 - 15% more moisture to recipes than called for.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm trying to smoke a bunch of trout today. Put them in a brine for a few hours, then on the smoker, trying to do them at 190 for two hours.

So of course the wind picks up and I can't g t my smoker to stay above 150. I've used 8 lbs of charcoal so far, and it's been three hours. So I'm about to say gently caress it and either throw them away, or try to finish them on my gas grill.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I love duck, I wish I wasn't the only one in my house that did, I would love I cook up some.

Gonna have to take up bird hunting again, I miss having pheasant and goose and duck around all the time.

TROUT UPDATE:
Said gently caress it and moved my smoker closer to the house to break some of the wind. Temperature is climbing again, so I should be in good shape.

If I can get it to 180 and hold for a half hour I should be in good shape.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Oh hey grover

idgi

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Ah, gotcha.

It's even more exciting, we haven't had poo poo for moisture in the last month, and when it gets windy like this, all the leaves and trash from the neighborhood blow into my backyard. So getting nice smoked fish is secondary to not burning my block down at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I would go gas over electric personally if you can get away with gas, but electric ones are fine. You won't get the crust and as deep of a smoke flavor, but it will will make good food if you use good techniques.

• Locked thread