Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Godholio posted:

Who had a good cornbread recipe? I'm rather disappointed in what I've tried from the internet...not much better than the blue box mix.

If you're not adding creamed corn, you may as well use a packet mix
Equipment: 10" cast iron pan
Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup creamed corn
2 cups coarse polenta/cornmeal
1T sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

Mix the wet, add to dry, whisk and pour into the pan to bake 200-220C for 20min

The corniest of cornbread.

E: I just googled my recipe and realised it's Alton Brown's recipe (from the food network). I had it in a word .doc so didn't remember where it came from. So ignore if you have already tried that and wasn't a fan.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Even I have never had charcoal BBQ, ribs or even waffles :(
I didn't come from a family that cooks, so my only interest in cooking comes from "hobbietizing" a necessity when all other hobbies got too expensive to continue.
I needed something to do to prevent :sad: brains.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, I'm OK in that regard. I really threw myself into it in 2011-2013 when I had funds. Collecting recipes and rewriting them, buying kitchen equipment. Trying to turn it into therapy while the going was good. I think I have about 400MB of recipes on my PC
Can pretty much do anything on a budget now, but in the end I i) lost everything and crashed, ii) not really enthusiastic about cooking anymore - it's a chore that I can easily do due to effort I put into it earlier, but I lost any interest as a hobby and have to prepare budget meals exclusively now.

E: I don't cook what I fancy to eat, IE never go shopping with recipes and ingredients to buy them at whatever the cost. I cook things based on seasons and sales.
When going shopping I make a rough sketch based on what I think is out there, then revise and revise based on what I find, improvising on what I come home with, so it becomes easy in the end to knock something up after building a repertoire over the years.

The only problem I have is feeding a fussy 4 y/o.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 1, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
There's a beans thread in GWS you should look at (they won't hurt, they're ghosts). I think I put a recipe or two up there years ago, lots of good ideas from Cajun style to pro Jamaican coconut style I think.
Check the pot beans thread, the cajun/creole thread and the "help I'm poor and want to make good food" thread.
You won't run into anyone while in GWS.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 1, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
no knead bread:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

Let it hang out in the fridge for a couple of days before baking.
Definitely add some percentage of whole wheat flour. I don't really like the loaf that comes from just using all purpose flour. But if just using white flour chuck in some "bread improver" or some proper bread flour for extra protein/gluten - like a 1/4 cup or something.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Interesting. For me it's not shakshuka unless it has harissa paste.
Of course there's more than one way to skin a cat and my second favourite preparation is Italian style " Eggs in purgatory". Go for it if you love salty flavours (anchovies, capers, sliced black kalamata olives), all the stuff that makes a puttanesca sauce good. You might not be a cumin, paprika or harissa fan and prefer italian, who knows?

No affililation to the SK site or this particular version, just using the same source as the above recipe to show the differences and using the same site seems best.
https://smittenkitchen.com/2016/03/eggs-in-purgatory-puttanesca-style/

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 22, 2017

• Locked thread