Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

what the gently caress did i just watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Really, what was he trying to accomplish with that potato?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Anybody who poo poos chili with beans, onions, or tomatoes is doing chili weird. Not wrong, just weird. I like using black beans.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I made two baguettes this weekend that came out great. Here's what I've found turned me from a bad baker to a good baker:

1. Don't use a bread machine

2. Make sure your yeast is live. Old packets of yeast may be dead. Drop your yeast into your mixing bowl, and add three tablespoons of water to the yeast. Use a digital thermometer to make sure the water is around 110 degrees F. 105-115 is good; any colder and the yeast won't activate, any hotter and you kill the yeast. Let the yeast hang out with the water for about five minutes before continuing.

3. Sift your dry ingredients. Just trust me on this one, sifting your flour will give you a better end result.

4. Actually knead your dough for 10-12 minutes so it gets the consistency you need

5. The yeast still need a fairly warm temperature in order to rise. I crank the heat in my apartment nearly to 80 to get a good rise. 75-85 is a good spot for rising dough. Put a towel over the bowl with your dough and don't peek for the full two hours.

6. Don't use a bread machine

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dough hook didn't want to come off my mixer yesterday. A bit of oil and some elbow grease got it off after a fight but I need to do something about the oxidization gumming it up.

• Locked thread