Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

OK, the drone next to the #1 Dad mug is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What a thoughtful cartoon that I'm sure had a lot of reflection and contemplation put into it to perfectly sculpt its message to these trying times.

Oh hold on, I'm getting an email from an alternate, better, timeline:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Leftists are incapable of appreciating the positive aspects of Obama's presidency. An Accurate Cartoon.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
It's that time again, when the outgoing president hands his big box of problems to the president-elect.

When you die and go to Hollywood Heaven, it takes some time for you to fully materialize. Sort of like a reverse Marty McFly.

Balloons!

quote:

With her glasses and her updo, and her sharp conservative views, Tomomi Inada has sometimes been called “Japan’s Sarah Palin.”

This week, she will have a chance to present herself as a statesman in Washington. And official Washington will have a chance, in turn, to get a good look at the woman who could become Japan’s next prime minister.

A hard-liner who has defended many of Japan’s actions during World War II, she will make her first visit to the United States since being appointed defense minister last month, meeting Defense Secretary Ashton Carter at the Pentagon on Thursday.

I feel like "with apologies to the Matrix" is a dig at JRRose

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

America is garbage -A.F. Branco

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Trogdos! posted:

America is garbage -A.F. Branco
Obama's like "gently caress, this box smells, I'm glad I'm handing it off finally" and Trump is just... nonplussed by it.

Branco's default "uppity Obama" expression really makes this one a lot less aggressive than he probably intended it as.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

what?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You know, that organization with two right feet and thumb-thumbs.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Literally my little brother

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

With Trump now president, he'll be appearing in different hats each day like a Squidbillies episode.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Duke Igthorn posted:

To be fair, there has been some disingenuous ways in which this story has been covered. Russia hacked the DNC to get information in order to help Trump win the election, but they did not hack the votes themselves.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Political dialogue in the US has been forcibly shifted so far to the right that Fox News is now regarded as a leftist-biased news source, AGC.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ThePeavstenator posted:

To be fair, there has been some disingenuous ways in which this story has been covered. Russia hacked the DNC to get information in order to help Trump win the election, but they did not hack the votes themselves.

Literally the only people who believe the story is about Russia actually hacking votes are people whose sole exposure to the story is coming across the words "Russia," "hacking," and "election" in a single sentence for the very first time. This tired straw man needs to die, unless you can dredge up some actual mainstream media coverage implying actual vote hacking, rather than just bad Facebook shares or tweets or some such.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Next he'll accuse Obama of having a hairpiece and molesting beauty pageant contestants.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Bill Leak:

:downsrim:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Brian Adcock on rail ticket price hike – Higher rail fares have come into effect, with passengers across Britain facing an average rise of 2.3%, prompting renewed outcry from campaigners"

Independent:

Times:

Len McCluskey: 'Awful' polling could derail Corbyn

Mail:
MAC ON... the Queen's cold

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Schpyder posted:

Literally the only people who believe the story is about Russia actually hacking votes are people whose sole exposure to the story is coming across the words "Russia," "hacking," and "election" in a single sentence for the very first time. This tired straw man needs to die, unless you can dredge up some actual mainstream media coverage implying actual vote hacking, rather than just bad Facebook shares or tweets or some such.

Our news media has been trying to make it clearer with visual aids:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Sandpuppy posted:

Our news media has been trying to make it clearer with visual aids:

Lmao, some intern transparently just google image searched "hacking" and took the first likely result. Or was a Fallout fan.

Vandalseed
Jun 21, 2013

Bringdowner

Somfin posted:

Holy gently caress.

Like, there's a joke political party in New Zealand, that was active until 1999. The McGillicuddy Serious Party. One of its proposed policy changes was enforcing driving on the right-hand side of the road, to be phased in over the course of four years, starting with the heaviest vehicles.

They are somehow more reasonable than what is actually going on in India if Nenonen's info is correct.

My favourite one was when they proposed creating an Upper House in Parliament (we only have the one house), but to attach all the seats to the ceiling of the existing Chamber. This is when they were reaching out to the Transcendental Meditation Party.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Schpyder posted:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Schpyder posted:

Your friends must be smarter than mine because I've heard a lot of people in the last few weeks who are apparently 100% convinced that Russia singlehandedly decided our election results via hacking (they are, however, not specific as to what exactly this hacking did)

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

loquacius posted:

Your friends must be smarter than mine because I've heard a lot of people in the last few weeks who are apparently 100% convinced that Russia singlehandedly decided our election results via hacking (they are, however, not specific as to what exactly this hacking did)

This is why I've resorted to describing it as "Russia did a Watergate." It's not perfect since a lot of people don't actually know what the crime in Watergate was, but most people are aware it wasn't about voter fraud.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

These cartoons are interesting, because they necessarily exist in the eighteen-hour space between the initial vote and the abrupt reversal.

Call your representatives, people.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 3, 2017

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Hah, Invasion of Norm's ID. I like it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Duke Igthorn posted:

Pseudoliberal aging white male hipster Bernouts wealthy enough to own a bigass TV and cable (holy poo poo the first panel) think:
--identity politics constitutes a major problem as opposed to something to advance
-- it's totally a case of overblown "political correctness" that ails the USA, not literal neo-nazism and self-identifying white nationalists
-- it's the liberal elites, not the president elect that is installing the richest administration comprised of ex-lobbyists, bankers, and party family dons any democratic nation has ever on this Earth seen, that don't care about the working class.

I get where there's points to be made where the Dem candidate was a pistol shot in the party's own foot but and that discussion has been done and re-done and re-done here and elsewhere to death, but Lord Jesus this is AGC :suicide:

edit: sp

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's actually occurring to me on the basis of the author that was probably the author's intent, nvm.

I don't know how to read postmortem comics anymore. Postmortem demographic commentary? gently caress me sideways.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

loquacius posted:

I've heard a lot of people that think that, but I haven't seen any media reporting even implying anything close. Thus my point stands: the problem doesn't seem to be with the media, but rather with where people get their news. Vague innuendo on social media from people who don't know anything more about a subject than "a thing happened" is how this kind of false narrative spreads.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

JESUS CHRIST THIS IS LITERALLY "I HAVE NO FURTHER INSIGHT IN MY POLITICAL CARTOONS OTHER THAN 'THESE GUYS SUCK'"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

It's actually occurring to me on the basis of the author that was probably the author's intent, nvm.

I don't know how to read postmortem comics anymore. Postmortem demographic commentary? gently caress me sideways.

Sorensen is Very Angry About Hipsters; this is an established thing

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Potato Salad posted:

Everything's all autopsy-turvey

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Quorum posted:

Lmao, some intern transparently just google image searched "hacking" and took the first likely result. Or was a Fallout fan.

Or they just wanted some green text on the screen. I don't see what the issue is without some damning context.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

JESUS CHRIST THIS IS LITERALLY "I HAVE NO FURTHER INSIGHT IN MY POLITICAL CARTOONS OTHER THAN 'THESE GUYS SUCK'"

Theyre correct

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

Cartoon made in 2013. Gorrell somehow thinks it's relevant now (not that it was relevant then).

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Theyre correct

Indiscriminate cynicism benefits the actual cynics.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That drunken pilot one pisses me off because the name of the guy is Jack Daniel. The s is possessive: Jack Daniel's whiskey.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

"I'm sorry, Mariah. The only booking I can get you is the inauguration."

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shangri-Law School posted:

Indiscriminate cynicism benefits the actual cynics.

We need actual, old school cynics. Like Diogenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
See the problem is one of phrasing, it seems like a "gotcha" question so you just give the answer that more closely matches your views. I know Russia didn't literally "hack the vote" but if you asked me a question like this, one that doesn't include context or what I believe to be the correct answer, I'm going to pick the answer that more closely matches my beliefs. There is no room for "No, but..." so, gently caress it: yes.

Potato Salad posted:

Pseudoliberal aging white male hipster Bernouts wealthy enough to own a bigass TV and cable (holy poo poo the first panel) think:
--identity politics constitutes a major problem as opposed to something to advance
-- it's totally a case of overblown "political correctness" that ails the USA, not literal neo-nazism and self-identifying white nationalists
-- it's the liberal elites, not the president elect that is installing the richest administration comprised of ex-lobbyists, bankers, and party family dons any democratic nation has ever on this Earth seen, that don't care about the working class.

I get where there's points to be made where the Dem candidate was a pistol shot in the party's own foot but and that discussion has been done and re-done and re-done here and elsewhere to death, but Lord Jesus this is AGC :suicide:

edit: sp

I shared this comic with brother mine:

"blow it out your rear end. Have you been to any political group meetings since the election? The left is in big big danger, and if they don't accept reality we're screwed. But they're all delusional, holding onto identity politics. Do me a favor and name one conservative author/thinker that you respect. We won't beat this new form of cultural nationalism unless we understand the other side because obviously screaming that they're racist misogynist pigs doesn't work anymore.
Tulsi Gabbard should run in 2020
Also watch Adam Curtis
And that comic is funny how it's punchline is basically "look fox news! Remember to keep being a partisan hack!"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...m=.162c13ace30e "

• Locked thread