Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Dave Inc. posted:

Every time I see my dad he makes this argument. You don't fix national problems by well-intentioned liberals donating to the IRS, that's not how it loving works. The government sets the rules of the game and everyone follows. You're not required to hold yourself to more stringent rules than everyone else just because you think you are unfairly favored, especially when it would have zero impact on the problems you see, but you should speak out against those rules in hopes of changing them.

How is this so difficult to understand?

yeah this argument is literally "we don't need a social safety net because we have charities"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not really confident in 538 being gospel after the last election, sorry. If the Dems manage to surprise me and take both houses in 2018 I will dance a little jig (no :toxx: though sorry) but I'm not holding my breath.

I honestly kind of agree that this is a meaningless conversation, though. The power of either Trump or Pence to do significant damage is highly dependent on the disposition of Congress, which is the same factor that determines whether an impeachment is even possible, meaning that whether and when we can swing that is a more important conversation by far than whether it'd be a good idea to replace the insane orange Nazi with the stoic Nazi terrified of his own penis.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Sausages posted:

I'm guessing their target audience is the kind of people who don't see the irony of saying "First they came for the Nazis..." even though that's not even what's happening.

I am assuming these men are conjoined twins

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's simpler than that. Under Obama, ISIS was out of control. Under Trump, ISIS is defeated. Just like how under Obama, the economy was struggling and nobody had a job, but under Trump, the economy is booming.

ISIS actually is having a lot of trouble these days, it just has very little to do with anything Donald Trump has done.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

that baby face looks exactly like an evil mischief baby from an old cartoon might look

or maybe the baby from Roger Rabbit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I had hoped that the impeachment process would at least begin by now.

We went over this quite thoroughly a few days back; it is neither feasible nor desirable to have an all-GOP Congress in control of an impeachment process. If they do anything at all, which they won't, it'll be done in such a way as to ensure a smooth landing for President Pence or Ryan.

In other words we better hope nothing wraps up before this year's midterms.

• Locked thread