Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Through/Enough isn't an attempted rhyme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Literally a scapegoat. Impressive.

From the natty red headband, the toon's also referencing William Holman Hunt's painting.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

This is a terrible metaphor. It took me a bit to figure out what aspect of Dr Strangelove it was referring to before I clocked it's just using it as a symbol for the cold war. And maybe saying that Hillary's sick, which maybe shouldn't be used as a stick to beat her with.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Duke Igthorn posted:

The man in the comic strip is chagrinned at his attempts at free market healthcare solutions.

and he falls down. Bolling's had a few strips in/titled Chagrin Falls and it's always about that grumpy bald guy rejecting lefty solutions and cutting his own throat. He probably happened across the town's name same as you did and thought it was funny there was a place named "Angry Trip".

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

"Trump ignores the works of plutocrats acting against him" seemed so divorced from reality that I had to look up the cartoonist. Turns out he's a Russian, and those little top hats and tails aren't plutocrats, but congress (hence the building in the background, I suppose). He seems pretty politically milquetoast, but Russian, and he's got an interesting choice in metaphor (or maybe just a foreign one), so have a Zudins dump

US healthcare

Trump and his guard (no clue what this is about)

On the impartial Russian media

Obama's foreign legacy

How that bastard Richard Maclaren better not ban Russia from the Olympics for doping

The changing tide of the US elections

This one's called demoCRAZY on the site and you have to respect that

Lavrov and the current US Foreign Sec

President gay so what?

Syria as proxy war between empires

But also, cuddly Assad

and finally, "Obama's Dream"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

That guy's Dutch so no.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Abyssal Squid posted:

I have no clue what the intended message is supposed to be, so I'm deliberately choosing to (probably mis) read this as "the Dems' moral victories have been empty, but 'Republican moral victories' is a category that doesn't exist."

What Democrats are saying about the Georgia race is that Ossof lost to Handel by less than you might expect. The term moral victory refers to when, like, the other guy had a huge advantage but the losing side can still hold their head up high because, if things were fair in this world, they'd have trounced them. This cartoon is taking that way of thinking, and pointing out well, who loving cares? There's all your Democrat's who'd have won in lala land, doing gently caress-all here in reality.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Playstation 4 posted:

On the other hand, it's a monarch, so really kind of worthless.

Trump still a garbage person and pres tho.

What possible gender could the queen be...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've never met so hard-line a republican that insists monarchs are gender neutral. Even lizards have genders.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Bramhall

OK, a question: is that notch in his neck a little :unsmith: smile, or is he turning to face us but Bram didn't sketch in the chin?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Unkempt posted:

What the hell is going on here? Is that Marx at bottom left? Who are the others?

edit: also gently caress the actual message of the cartoon, obviously

Hahaha, that's amazing. How utterly, pointlessly subtle! Here's my stab at who's who

The Lenin is definite, that very strong shadow on his face. The other, I'm not so sure, I couldn't find a direct photo match. The top left is either Trotsky or a young Stalin, I went for Trotsky because in pics of Stalin with bushy, unkempt hair he's not got that huge black mustache. Similarly, I'm not 100% sold on the Sanders, but you can make out the glasses. My other guess was Gorbachov but it felt unlike Delonas to not make the most of his birthmark.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Note that Garrison has taken the criticisms on board about how his unrealistic standards for Trump's beauty. Look at that neck fat!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Shuka posted:

People not liking zelda is the point of the cartoon, humans are self serving aggrandizing messes who sometimes do good things and the slob protoganist is a woman instead of some scruffy dude and people can't handle it.

I don't think that's the point of the cartoon.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Look at the haunches on that centaur!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Her face is like, 80% eyeball

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

This is a terrible metaphor but how could you resist an arc/art pun, I guess?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

It's still not great to present the (potential-)victims of sexual assault in such a sexualized way, to me.
Bramhall

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Those scales have woeful caricatures. Look at that Reagan. Look at that Nixon!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

du -hast posted:

Boring aside: I worked for Gov. Brown's second election campaign a few years ago which makes this even more baffling that the caricature is unrecognizable.

Also fun fact about Jerry Brown: he eats off your plate. Like if you go to dinner, he, without asking, will also just spear some of your food with a fork and eat it. Not "hey can I try that?" just straight up takes some of your food. And everyone at the table is too afraid to say anything because, you know, he's the Governor and we worked for him. But he does this every time that a group is eating a meal - anyone within fork range gets some of their food taken also. I'm sure there's a political metaphor here somewhere in this but it is the most bizarre/weirdly rude behavior ever.

A mob boss does that in the Sopranos. He gets killed for it.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

I can't help but get the impression that they're a conservative posing as an Antifa trying to poison the well. :thunk:

"This guy keeps saying Democrats have paranoid delusions, he's probably a false-flag"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

People like interplay between regulars on the funny page. There's an April Fools thing where King Syndicate artists switch strips, and basically everyone has had at least some interaction with Patsis' Pearls Before Swine.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I wonder what he means by "viable as a culture"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

British cartoons don't use labels at all, do they?

Chris Riddel of the Observer makes a point of using lots, here's a not particularly egregious example (especially as I think the W. Rabbit and Mad Prattler labels are present in the original

But I've seen him draw 6 headed monsters w/ every head labelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Through his diligent combination of two things that happened, Weurker continues the misogynistic cliche of long-standing of land as a woman to be protected or ransacked.

Sandpuppy posted:

Ted Rall can even make nuclear annihilation about Ted Rall.

My conclusion from LA's con being "no more RDJ" is that Ted still likes and enjoys the Iron Man series of films.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 6, 2017

• Locked thread