Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wang_Tang posted:

Just going off of Conservative Twitter posts, this is peak OppositeOfReality.gif.

Bill Mitchell and Joe Walsh: paragons of civility and good sportsmanship

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

rodbeard posted:

How did we manage to shrink the thread by that much in an election year

No DbD

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Electric Phantasm posted:

Real cool of Branco to include WAR WIDOW in the label, why care otherwise?

Actually the US is not at war with Yemen. A Bad Comic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

On the far left is Jose Luis Martin Gascon, the head of the Philippines's Commission on Human Rights, who has repeatedly criticized the Duterte administration for violating human rights in its violent war on drugs

To his right is Vice President Leni Robredo, who prompted this comic by recently speaking out in favor of studying Portugal's system of drug decriminalization as an alternative to the President's war on drugs. The Louis Vuitton bag is supposed to mark her as being "fake" in her claims that she came from humble beginnings.

The speech bubble reads:

"Don't worry, we will protect you. If in the old days [of the Aquino's Liberal Party administration, where Robredo belongs to] we did not care about you at all, now we will leverage your poverty for our own goals"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

I thought Trump clearly said "Bigly" so why does every Trump support want to spin it as him saying "Big League"?

That's what he says. He just enunciates it terribly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Nikeyg1/status/861298992646324226

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/muskrat_john/status/862496231771308032

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/chuckwoolery/status/871756684447895554

"when he himself is made of carbon!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

So Griffin holding Trump's head is bad. Cartoon showing liberals being beheaded is good.

See, it's not conservatives beheading liberals, but rather terrorists, so it's not the fault of conservatives for illustrating the natural outcome of the liberals's own policies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

So if I'm understanding right, May called an early election to try and get a majority of seats but polled terribly, resulting in her party losing more?

Negotiating Brexit would/will need a billion different decisions, and May didn't want to be in a position where the fringe element of her party could hold this process "hostage" just because their advantage in seats is so slim (somewhat similar to the House Freedom Caucus loving up everything that the rest of the Republican party tries to do, or vice-versa).

So yeah, she called for an election with the expectation (probably correct at the time) that Labour was vulnerable and they could use this to expand their lead so that there'd be more leeway for the Tories when it came to votes.

Only they ran a poo poo campaign, and Labour didn't, and Corbyn got his party to win a bunch of seats.

The election was "important" insofar as it's being seen in some circles as a referendum on the feasibility of a no-poo poo, straight-up left-progressive political platform, as opposed to centrist neoliberal "vote for me or else the fascists will take power" case that's made by the Democrats in the US or Macron in France.

There was no way that Corbyn could have gained a majority in this election, but the fact that he closed the gap means that the case for leftism isn't going to be shuttered and shouted-down across the West.

The most pessimistic takeaway I'd put forward would be that it's like one of those special elections in Montana and Georgia where the Dems lose by a single-digit margin in what's normally deeply Republican areas. It might not matter from a policy-making perspective (although I wouldn't rule it out altogether yet), but it does keep the momentum up.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Is it not possible for the left parties to assemble a coalition to govern?
The numbers seemed close enough.

I am by no means knowledgeable on UK politics, but:

* 326 seats needed for a majority, and as I type this post, all but two seats have been counted

* the Tories have 317 seats. They get first crack at forming a coalition government since they have the most seats (as they already previously did). The SNP and the LibDems are almost certainly not going to work with them. The DUP might, as a quick Google suggests they're a right-wing/conservative party, and a Tory+DUP coalition would have a ... 1 seat majority

* Labour has 261 seats. Adding in the SNP and the Lib Dems still only gets to 308, or 18 seats short of a majority. Even if we threw in Sinn Fein's 7 seats and Plaid Cymru's 4 seats, that's still 7 seats short of a majority.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pakled posted:

Oh my god in what world is that obstruction of justice but not what Trump did

Comey said it himself that he knew the takeaway from his testimony was just the parts people liked as truth and the other parts as lies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

chairface posted:

The gently caress is happening? I'm agreeing with Ben loving Garrison now?

"Wall Street is loving people over" is a talking point that resonates across both the right and the left.

The right just chooses to deal with it by doubling down on the current mode of wealth distribution: the rich only afford scraps to the working class, so let's keep hoarding those scraps by taking away the ones from our targeted minority scapegoats.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
E: nm

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 15, 2017

• Locked thread