Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Want that

BAR
BEE

brand bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Spiders are good and they are my friends. I once saw one jump on a thin mosquito-like creature and was like hell yeah, a fellow traveler in insect killing. I nestled it gently in my hands and put it under my bed just on the off-chance my sweet insect-eating buddy could grab one of these loving rear end in a top hat bedbugs I had at the time. I don't know if it actually worked but I have not seen bedbugs in months. Coincidence??? No. Spiders are perfect home companions.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

loquacius posted:

How you idiots see a distinction between insects and spiders apart from one of them being an abomination that Should Not Be I will never understand

"this gross bug ate this other gross bug, so now it is my valued friend and I will let it sleep in my bed with me"

One bites me and drinks my blood from my veins, which is where my blood lives. This isn't hard.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

While the economic Ramirez conservative type may reserve their scorn for Sweden in general and Scandinavia as a whole on the basis of their elected leaders' fiscal policy, Garrison's all about that racist "Pure Beautiful White Sweden is letting A Muslim inside her and it will ruin her" angle.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I can understand being upset that the Patriots who win all the time won and that you dislike their heel quarterback or whatever but anyone weaving election narratives into that football game need to get a fuckin grip goddamn

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Rebochan posted:

So not actually a comic, but apparently J.J. McCullough wrote a WaPo column on the Quebec City shootings that got the Quebec parliament super miffed.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/que...ince-as-violent

The column while it's still up:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2017/02/01/why-does-progressive-quebec-have-so-many-massacres/

SO that's what one of our old thread regulars has been up to.

I like JJ as a cartoonist and essayist. Really, I do. He serves the same function as someone like the Redpanels guy does (though to his credit nowhere he's nowhere near as repugnant) in showing me that old hatreds aren't that old after all and how conservatism is going to be formulating its arguments moving forward.

Discendo Vox posted:

My (extremely limited) understanding is that a vaguely French-style nationalism and xenophobia are indeed problems in Quebec, and possible precipitating factors in the shooting, but that just about everything else in JJ's column is wrong.

edit: to be clear, I'm thinking of that Charter of Values PQ/BQ thing, not language laws.

You are mainly correct. It's a little more complicated than that on the language front (and that's an argument for another thread) but the Charter of Values was absolutely a way to sneakily push historically western/Christian cultural norms into public spaces. They weren't even particularly clever about their being underhanded. JJ, however, is completely out to lunch in that column. If you can find any kind of common thread between Denis Lortie (shot up Parliament) Marc Lépine (shot only women at a university), Valery Fabrikant (shot coworkers an a university), Kimveer Gill (shot random people in a college), Richard Henry Bain (shot up a political gathering/celebration following a PQ provincial election win) and Alexandre Bissonnette (shot up a mosque) then by all means I'm willing to listen because it IS unusual that this many isolated incidents happened in this one province, his thesis of "cause is probably Quebec bad" is laughably unsupported by even a basic thesis.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Angepain posted:

It's a real-life Kelly!

Which reminds me I don't remember seeing this offering posted yet...

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

One of the interesting things about Payne is that while he's pretty much a party line Republican cartoonist on most issues, I think he's genuinely not racist towards black people. Or at the very least nowhere near as much as his peers. He drew snooty Obama just like the rest of 'em but coming from him I could honestly believe the antipathy came from the fact that Obama was a Democratic president. This also means that of all cartoonists who would make Ben Carson cartoons, he might have been one of the only ones who seems like he truly admires the man in some capacity rather than using him as some kind of token gotcha.

Which gave us this one for the greatest hits collection:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Another one that I think I haven't see brought up this round: Ted Rall hates that first responders are praised for responding to a bombing. They're just doing their jobs, what's the big deal? Why do we feel the need to praise them for doing what they signed up to do? And while I've got this breath going, why is it cartoonists other than me get awards, when I should be getting them all?

I don't think he made a cartoon specifically espousing this particular aspect of his belief system but he did make a pair of blog posts critiquing cartoons that came out following the Boston Marathon bombing and he is just so transparent about how much he hates people getting praise he feels they do not deserve.

http://rall.com/2013/04/18/cartoon-critique

Ted Rall posted:

Another piece by someone who has had more success than me. He’s on staff at a big daily newspaper. Full medical benefits. Retirement plan. He doesn’t have to worry about how to pay his rent every month. He won the very prestigious Herblock award, which if I’m not mistaken, was worth a cool $10,000 at the time. Might be $15,000. Not sure. Anyway, yeah, this is just an illustration of a story that anybody who has been watching the news has been following. The first responders ran toward the blast while the runners were running away. Very hot runners. But when I want to know is, is not the way it’s supposed to be? Most of the time, cops and firefighters don’t have anything to do. They’re paid a good deal of money to spring into action and risk their lives every now and then. That’s the job. They agreed to do it. How exactly does that make them heroes? And anyway, the idea that first responders are heroes is hardly something that needs to be said in an editorial cartoon. This is just pandering.

http://rall.com/2013/04/23/crappy-toons

Ted Rall posted:

I hate to pick on Nate Beeler: He’s a nice guy and a good sport. Just the luck of the draw this week. Again, this one is a combo cartoon – one that praises our saintly first responders – what a risk! – But also one that makes kind of a silly point. There was a lot of reason to think that the bombings were carried out by domestic right-wing terrorists: Boston, tax day, Patriots’ Day. Those Tea Party types, they don’t like paying their taxes. You can hardly blame the media for looking into that connection.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Except that she's writing a gently caress epic so "sponge" is a fitting title

It's really not...

e: oh I read "loving epic", so alright, yeah, I get ya. Still, the pun. Gotta have the pun. I like "My Snuggle" a lot here.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 25, 2017

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Always remember that to these people, global warming isn't real. To them, it's not short term gain at the cost of long term catastrophe, it's all gain at no cost. Global warming is liberal fairy dust, concocted to hobble American business and to line Al Gore's pockets.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does no one but me actually watch movies?

Nope, just you. No one else watches movies.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

Ramirez with vultures labelled POLITICS DEMOCRATS and MSM flying around some bodies.

Ah yes, the McCoy Charleston classic.

First cartoon he put out after that little affair.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

by amaterasu, gaijin are so baka

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

So did y'all completely miss how a ton of so-called democrats used their supposed support of Bernie Sanders to sabotage Clinton's chances by painting her as Dracula 2000 for not dropping out of the primaries against him? And how those same loud "pro-Bernie" voices just so happen to really hate feminists and make tons of videos about that? I don't think it's a coincidence that that cartoon has a bunch of woman candidates.

I did completely miss that and have no idea what you're talking about. If you have some links or something, I wouldn't mind seeing them because right now you come across as talking crazy alternate universe events.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 25, 2017

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

loquacius posted:

There were absolutely a few people who backed Bernie and Trump simultaneously during the primaries and switched to just Trump after the primaries ended. On SA, The Saurus comes to mind as an example (I think he got banned). I don't think that cartoon was about them, though.

I can, and do, believe that, but Lurdiak said "a ton" which implies a significant movement and the way Lurdiak's talking about it, there seems to be a fair amount of disbelief that people would miss it.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

It's pretty bog standard conservative belief in international relations as show of Strength. If you're a Strong president that makes threats, foreign countries will know you mean business and dismantle their nuclear programs. If you're a Weak president who tries diplomacy, Iranian savages will abduct Are Brave Troop right in the middle of the gatdanged ocean and hold them prisoner forever!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there a talking point I'm missing here other than "children of immigrants are literal vermin"?

Ugh, kind of, but at the same time not really. I think the comic is meant to be interpreted something like this:

- DACA children are frogs (Mexicans)
- Obama tried to wave a magic wand to make these frogs (Mexicans) into princes/princesses (American citizens)
- This is obviously frivolous fairy tales
- Straight Shootin' Trump points out that it's cruel to a frog (Mexican) to pretend you could ever turn it into a prince/princess (American citizen).

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

By what mechanism are people claiming that this fight is going to reduce player salaries?

Players kneel, Real America is outraged!, attendance plummets to nothing, players take all the rightful blame for this, owners can now negotiate from a position of absolute strength now that Colin Kaepernick ruined players' leverage.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

If you all don't stop misbehaving I swear to god I'll start posting Sinfest.

What could I do that would make you do that? I'll eat a probe if I gotta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I just now realized this: I don't get why it matters to Kirschen, or Israelis of his stripe in general, that the American embassy be moved to Jerusalem. What's wrong with Tel Aviv?

• Locked thread