Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah that Dees is like super incoherent. It's basically the conspiracy theory version of writing yourself into a corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's best to just embrace it, friends

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A Pence/Ryan government is seriously more terrifying than Trump/Ryan.

There's some hope that Trump's dearth of experience in politics and lack of loyalty to the Republican Party means we won't get totally hosed and a lot of time is wasted with Trump fighting with Congress to build a wall or whatever. Or just an adminstration generally mired in scandal while Republicans come up countless excuses not to impeach their great white hope.

Pence is scary because it would just be clean, calculated machine of conservatism. He's also mild-mannered enough to put a happy face on the plundering of the nation, and liberals will be all "Well, he's not Trump!" There's a lot more evident fear from a cohesive Republican party.

I mean, I guess Trump could cotton to executive power. he seems legit disinterested in the day-to-day work, but who knows what'll happen when he's in office. I'd say his administration is way too self-interested to let him elevate to some kind of fascist king, preferring to stab him in the back the second it'll benefit them. But Germans tried to assassinate Hitler so who the gently caress knows. I understand the whole unknown quality of Trump in office is enough reason to be scared, but I really don't like the idea of President Pence.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So we found Andrew Hussie's account

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jedit posted:

Yes, the security system is called "Putting all the Muslims in a ghetto and killing them".
I wonder how closely you could describe a holocaust for Muslims and get Kirschen on board before he catches on.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Welcome to...

First off: no, this isn't a new thing I'm doing. However, considering that this is the last day of Obama's presidency and all, I thought it'd be appropriate to cover cartoons from his inauguration. Think of it as the epilogue to my 2008 retrospective.

Passing the Torch

A
I love the subtle "seven years." Hey Asay, what happened during that one year?

B
Needless to say, the country was in a thorough clusterfuck after Dubya. Two needless wars, an economic meltdown, and a dramatic increase in executive power...there wasn't really any part of the nation that Bush hadn't cocked up somehow.

C
Jesus.

D
Bush faded into the background at a lightning pace. The GOP knew he wrecked the country and, a more grievous sin, he caused them to the lose the presidency to a black man.

E
I'd be remiss not to include this one. It's by far the most remembered of the "Goodbye Bush" cartoons in this thread, and the first image hit I get for "jrrose." It's also kinda correct in a very dark, foreboding way, as Trump is making Dubya seem better by comparison.

One cartoon that I couldn't find, one I remember reading in the paper at the time, was one of Bush talking to Obama in the same room as two sleeping kids (probably labelled "USA" or something), with the sad-faced Bush telling Obama "keep them safe" as he handed off whatever symbol for presidential power was being used (a torch, I imagine). I thought it was a Ramirez, but all archives of his up to that date have shown nothing.

The Inauguration

Stantis was in love with his God caricature carrying the little history book. Hillary didn't get the same treatment when she took the nomination last year.

The media loves Obama!

The oath was flubbed during the inauguration. It was actually Roberts' slip, but some people took potshots at Obama regardless. Even more fringe characters claimed it meant Obama's presidency was illegitimate...because getting the oath right is a requirement for office, or something?

Later Obama would just retake the oath in private. "Obama meets nation's problems as monsters" was a common theme for cartoonists.

Allie was very upset that Obama didn't fix the economy on his first day in office.

Purple lips from the start.

These types of cartoons were popular, and then the cartoonist would proceed to be racist for the next eight years.

Payne didn't let the inauguration stop him from reminding us that it was cold in January.

Speaking of which, I love this incredibly stupid cartoon.

Other Bullshit

Z
Pro-life cartoons came out fiercely around this time as Obama opened the blood gates.

X
People got a bit absorbed into the whole "firsts" thing.

Y
I don't even know.

W
MEDIA

V

U
He's...just making sure.

V
While Hillary lost the primary, Republicans were still anguished over her selection as Secretary of State. Don't worry guys: you'll finally defeat her in eight years!

And that's that. There's more, of course (and it is always worse), but that should cover most of it. It was a bit muddled because of things like the Blago scandal and cartoonists projecting their fears onto Obama (a looooot of Guantanamo cartoons, which is depressingly ironic now). Like I said, this is just a one-shot thing since it does technically conclude the whole 2008 election. Again, thanks for reading all these, and best of luck making it through the next four years.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I love hate these talking fetus cartoons. I had no idea a fetus could think, feel, and crack witty quips!
Here have another

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's funny they used a TV action drama as justification for literal torture, but despite cinema's enduring tradition of punching our enemies the right is aghast over decking a neo-nazi.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Trump's own entry on the white house site says he won in a landslide* victory

*Republican electoral vote

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

What happened to the "commonly requested cartoons" section? My mother wanted to see the Popular Fantasies gun control cartoon.

Edit: I found it, but "popular fairy tales gun control cartoon" got some interesting results.
To keep the OP size manageable I moved them to the tumblr that is linked in the OP.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When conservatives complain about property damage, remember that they formed a splinter faction named after an act of desctruction of property.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Huh, this is a sequel to the one he made in 2008 that I showed you all last week

Surprised he remembered it. While I'm sure some oppose abortions in the 32nd trimester, I think it's safe to say this pregnancy ain't gonna work.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 25, 2017

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

I hope that fuckstick likes infanticide through neglect combined with women dying due to back ally abortions. Which is the status quo in many countries that ban abortions. It's such a problem in Brazil that a lot of the local Catholic priests basically break ranks from the church to say infanticide is fine as it's the Will of God the child dies, so that the women don't feel too judged.

That's what happens when you make abortion difficult or illegal. Which is why, even taking away issues like women having bodily autonomy and agency (the #1 reason why it's fine), legal abortion is a moral good.
They don't actually give a drat about babies :ssh:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So the dude is a holocaust denier?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

FaradayCage posted:

*see analysis at mrc.org

What analysis? I can't even find it.

I did find some poo poo about "exposing liberal media bias" and "media ignoring christian genocide" incidentally.
Tinsley is a grown man who doesn't understand how citation works and yet every year he dogs on liberal art degrees.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A country changing over the course of 70 years? Nice try, fake news!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Eden says farewell to Obama

I'm sure you all fondly remember these cartoons.

I get the theme is "haha not true Obozo" but some of this stuff is true. You can't deny that Iran failed to go nuclear or especially that Obama was the one to get Osama. Unless Eden is some kind of idiot who thinks Obama meant he personally killed Osama in an honor duel.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

It really upsets me how drat lacking in gross out humour American cartoons are. The closest is...I dunno, Wormbama?
Bonsteel had the style for it, but she never really took advantage.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

it's amazing and depressing how many "cartoonists" can't draw.

Gainfully employed for literal decades.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Obama had switched positions like literally the day after. This was even something Romney got called out on during the debates, which I'm sure sent fuckers like Ramirez into a frenzy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like after saying he's going to take a break from Trump cartoons...Garrison goes right back to Trump cartoons.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Adam Ford has got us now!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Trump is going to have to do more than "what Republicans like really really fast" to get impeached

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Farecoal posted:

Don't worry Trump will never be nominated never win the election mellow out once he's in office never actually follow up on his campaign promises be impeached any day now!
I think the difference here is that his own party wants him gone, because he's hijacked the GOP and bruised a lot of egos in the process. He's also very much a loose cannon and utter novice at politics, making Republicans very vulnerable.

Also, Trump has been making very big, obvious changes that are really easy for anyone in opposition to him to rally against. With their guy Pence in charge, they can go back to quietly loving us over. It also gives them an excuse for the next billion years if you ever bring up Trump as a criticism of the party. "Ah yes, but we impeached him!" -every right-wing cartoonist until the end of time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

You know, I've been thinking for a while that the one driving force behind Trump's rise to power wasn't even bigotry per se, but just pure unadulterated spite. Don't get me wrong, racism and hatred played a pretty huge part in it, but Trump's support base came to be such a rainbow coalition of overlapping and often contradictory brands of hatred (See: Kirschen / KKKlurf) that it just doesn't seem like it could stand on a leg based on racism alone without tearing itself to pieces on day one. On the other hand, the one promise that Trump can deliver on is "liberal tears". Even the dumbest loving spectator can see that Trump's erratic and vague statements mean he really doesn't stand anywhere on pretty much any issue, but the one constant is that, whatever he does, it makes liberals mad. There's plenty of cartoonists on this thread who, to this day, have barely had a single good thing to say about Trump, but they still fall into line churning out pro-Trump propaganda. The message? "see how mad these libs are". And that's it, that's the Trump platform.
The internet is not the general population and, while they have been louder and more scary, they are still a minority. Voters soundly rejected Trump, but a few key states had people who bought Trump's lies that he was going to bring jobs back and make them safe.

I don't want to get into the whole question of "Why She Lost," but rather that "Why He Won" isn't because of some rise in anti-liberal trolls.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's been two weeks since the Trump press conference with him getting into a fight with Buzzfeed, so I'm not sure if it's coincidence or if it's been enough time for Stantis to back Trump on this and then whine about him the next day.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/Starbucks/status/826168340632571904

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Weird how conservatives are suddenly so happy Trump is running over obstruction attempts with Executive Orders.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's funny because it's no different than a Mallard cartoon.

Strawman in a white void. He's done this countless times in his regular comic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Do adults honestly not understand that free speech doesn't protect you from criticism? loving crazy.
After Bush the right has basically expected to get their way regarding everything. Rules don't matter: their side is automatically correct and should get what they want.

The same people bemoaning obstructionism were demanding it mere months ago. The same people applauding executive orders were calling it tyranny last Fall. The same loving people crying over destructive protest were making quotes about the tree of liberty and blood while naming themselves after the Boston Tea Party.

They're children, baldfaced hypocrites, and they don't have an ounce of dignity so long as it means they get what they want.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

George Will has jumped ship, which surprised me. But I have a feeling most Never Trumpers are going to quietly back him now that he's proven his loyalty to the party agenda.

Stantis seems like the only one to have fleeting moments of self-awareness.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People like Garrison who think the "global elite" (I can't help but think this is code for Jews) fear Trump will never stop being cute. Elections today are pretty much designed so you need to be in good with monied interests to have any chance to winning a primary let alone the general. Neither candidate was going to send the world bankers or whatever into a panic; I'd say they make dislike Trump if only because he's a complete amateur and plays his hand too quickly, leaving bold actions that are easy for people to see and rally against.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Geez, two weeks into his term and Iran already has the bomb? What a terrible president!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Waiting to see if any cartoonists try to defend the Bowling Green thing

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This is the kind of ignorance you come to expect from Branco. Good poo poo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The edit situation is weird, because I've seen cartoonists say they want their name removed so people don't think the edit is indicative of their work. But I've also seen people say that it should stay on to give their original work credit. Although in general you shouldn't be posting edits in more public places where people can confuse an edit for original work, and in the case of this shyster guy and Bennett, it seems like he was actually trying to pass off his edits as original work.

The BoK deal, however, was series of edits that were very clearly criticizing the cartoonists, and you'd have to be a pretty big dope to fail and understand that. Which is probably why BoK was the only one to raise a fuss (I think McCoy Greater made a passing comment about removing his signature).

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

"Putin and Trump are gay lovers" is like the hackiest cartoon to make on the subject, jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Preview your posts and use timg tags where necessary

Seriously what is up with constant lovely toon dumps this year?

• Locked thread