Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mike Thompson isn't the most interesting cartoonist, but I like posting him so that Payne isn't the only representative of Detroit in this thread. Thompson is also the only cartoonist who still cares about Flint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Leftists are incapable of appreciating the positive aspects of Obama's presidency. An Accurate Cartoon.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Theyre correct

Indiscriminate cynicism benefits the actual cynics.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

We all realize that Russia stealing private correspondence in order to influence an election is bad, right? Just checking.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Lisa Benson is the most worthless cartoonist in existence.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I've only vaguely read up on it so far but the whole thing is unverified, right? At least so far.

None of the DNC emails were, either.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

seiferguy posted:

I don't know what it is, but Stiglich pisses me off more than any other cartoonist for some reason. Branco and Garrison are so over the top with their work that you can't help but laugh most of the time. With Stiglich, well... he always tries to throw in some low-effort zinger that you can almost feel as if he's saying "Heh! That'll show em!" each time he draws a cartoon. That, and the amount of times he drew Hillary with sunglasses as if she were blind is pettiness to the levels of Lester always drawing Obama with a rainbow tie.

Even Ted Rall believes in the genius of Ted Rall. Stiglich just seems like a worthless nihilist. Him and Marlette.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Mike Thompsons...

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I hope the Bernie dead-enders never find out that Liz Warren was a Republican in the '90s.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

For those of you wondering, Eric Lewis, i.e. the Animal Nuz guy, posted his last cartoon in September, after which he went to Florida to work as a field organizer for Hillary's campaign. He said at the time that he'd resume cartooning in November, but after certain events intervened, it seems like now he's focusing more on organizing and is looking for a full-time job in progressive politics. He hasn't said anything about Animal Nuz being over, but it doesn't look to be returning for a while. I will be ready to bring it back when it does.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I saw this today. I guess it's a cartoon, sort of.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Not sure if this graphic essay was posted earlier. Read the rest at Fusion.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

The DC protest tomorrow may or may not have higher turnout than the inauguration depending on your source -- my wife and I are heading there NOW.

Will post pics Sunday if that's okay?

Please do, especially any signs.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I have cartoonish signs.

1 Two fewer Pulitzers than Ramirez.

2 Two fewer Pulitzers than Ramirez.

3 Two fewer Pulitzers than Ramirez.

4 Two fewer Pulitzers than Ramirez.

5 Two fewer Pulitzers than Ramirez.

6 Two fewer Pulitzers than Ramirez.

:nws: This one gets a content warning for rape. :nws: 7 Two fewer Pulitzers than Ramirez.

Also, I did see one cartoon that has been posted in this thread, by one of the British cartoonists, though I can't remember whom. It was also Lady Liberty getting sexually assaulted.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Do y'all really know that many Nazi defenders?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Aminal Nooz Breaking Pawlitics

Cartoon Diary of the Woman's March

Read the rest at Slate.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Bors has been a Rallish tit before, but this Bors is very good. :patriot:

Rall's cartoon would ask why nobody's beating up the LAPD, or editors.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Duke Igthorn posted:

How about the "Shithead cartoonist who refused to pick a side because 'both sides are just as bad' until it was far too late" statue?

Seriously, this cartoon might be slightly admirable if it were by anyone but Ted Rall.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I should have guessed that Benson would sell out faster than Ramirez.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

It's the opposite, it's critical. The comic is saying that instead of actually draining the swamp of DC, all of the people that make up the swamp have moved to Foggy Bottom, a particularly wealthy section of DC where high-ranking federal employees often live, and where many major executive agencies (like the state department) are.

The labeling on the wall is confusing, as is the inside baseball reference to a DC neighborhood.

"Foggy Bottom" is shorthand for the State department, she's not referring to the literal neighborhood. Benson is justifying our lack of a functioning State department by grouping all the officials that Trump fired with the "swamp."

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

If Trump's presidency kills off "both sides are the same" for all time it might be worth it. This would of course require the sacrifice of Ted Rall, but I think that's a sacrifice worth making.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Johnny Walker posted:

I can only speak for my own observations, but it doesn't seem to be having anywhere near that effect so far.

Yeah, this will take time. It's been a week. We have hundreds left. Hundreds!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Breaking Pawlitics

Until Animal Nuz returns from exile, this is what we've got. :twisted:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If only there was some candidate you could have supported and voted for who wasn't an insane fascist piece of poo poo, huh Ted?

BOTH SIDES DO IT BUT HILLARY IS WORSE

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Lubchansky could barely be bothered to oppose Trump when there was actually a chance of stopping him, so I'm fine with him getting poo poo.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I've called it "performative bullshit." "Virtue signaling" is another phrase from the newsletter that every right-winger seems to subscribe to.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

A cartoon and story that this thread prepared us well for. Glad that someone's not letting Australia get away with looking like the protagonist in this.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume Fish wrote "muslims" twice on accident.

I have many differences with Mr. Fish, but a man who omits the wicked, superfluous and ugly Oxford comma can't be all bad.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Sarah Glidden posted an excerpt about refugees from her graphic novel Rolling Blackouts.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

santanotreal posted:

Seriously how did only two Republicans look at Devos and realize she's an incompetent toad.

Even those two voted to advance her nomination from the committee, they just got permission to vote against her confirmation so they wouldn't look too bad.

Susan Collins never does the right thing if it would actually make a difference.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

A man who is so goddamned crazy. And dumb.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Democrats are allowing the issue to be framed as "Vetting vs No Vetting" when the reality is "Vetting vs No Travel". Nobody is actually arguing for letting people stroll off a boat and into America, but you wouldn't know that from the Dems.

"How dare you not prevent people from believing obvious lies!"

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

They could have taken a page from the republican playbook and became massive obstructionists.

But I guess if the brazen lies and hypocrisy that happened during the supreme court Garland appointment fiasco didnt inspire them then probably nothing will.

I mean, exactly two bills have been signed by Trump, both very minor. Whether that's due to Democratic obstruction or Republican incompetence, Congress isn't giving Trump anything. This is when passing laws should be easy!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Am I missing something? It's been less than a month. I'm guessing that it'd be difficult to send much through the pipeline by this point even if they'd drafted it well in advance.

At this point in Obama's presidency, he'd signed Lily Ledbetter and expanded the CHIP program, and the stimulus package had been passed by both houses of Congress.

It's easier to pass legislation in the first 100 days than at any other time in the term. The Republicans have had eight years to prepare for this, yet nothing. I think a big part of that can be attributed to the Dems taking the Cabinet nominations to task.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

how the gently caress are you getting that from this comic?

He's criticizing Dems for having no balls and for once I agree

There is literally no form of resistance pure enough for Ted Rall. When the Dems actually do what he wants (Two whole bills! Letting the Republicans figure out ACA repeal unassisted!) he still pretends they're traitors to the glorious revolution.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

It is legitimate and wise strategy to continue to be tough on politicians even after they do what you want. However, Rall and his ilk have neither the skill not the perspective needed to pull this off. When you can't even acknowledge progress, people learn to ignore you because you will never say anything that you haven't said already.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Breaking Pawlitics:

Also, if you were looking for a painterly left-wing cartoonist, Michael D'Antuono has you covered:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The genuine outrage that McCoy cartoon is spurring got me wondering: Is there any photo/illustration from U.S. history that would have people angrier if it were parodied by some conservative hack? Short of an actual lynching photo, I'm not sure.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

There wasn't much outrage over cheeseguy's "man on the street" panel that was as close to an actual lynching photo as you can get. Get it? The joke is that an innocent man was killed! LOL!

It's not a very famous picture, though, or a prominent cartoon. I suppose if a conservative cartoonist tried to riff on the Emmett Till open casket photo that would be more monstrous.

Basically, I'm wondering aloud whether The Problem We All Live With is the greatest political cartoon in American history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

I hope Trump is impeached and removed from office, but is somehow allowed to retain jurisdiction over Ted Rall.

• Locked thread