Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"Most of the big shore places were closed now and there were hardly any lights except the shadowy, moving glow of a ferryboat across the Sound. And as the moon rose higher the inessential houses began to melt away until gradually I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailors’ eyes — a fresh, green breast of the new world. Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby’s house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.

And as I sat there, brooding on the old unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy’s dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter — tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And one fine morning —

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

F. Scott Fitzgerald (and probably a lot of Zelda Fitzgerald), The Great Gatsby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I mean it's kind of defeating the purpose if Humpty is still together, isn't it? What is this, the Affordable Care Act will survive any heights its detractors will go to in order to destroy it? It's batter and bruised and patchwork like the real ACA but it's fine and it works. All this cartoon does is make the elephant look guilty, like he came in on a stretcher and while the EMT's back was turned the elephant started beating the ACA with a hammer and got caught and is like "what? Me? No, I didn't do that".

I mean any way you slice it AGC I guess. Good job with the Garrison-level botched metaphor.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

21 Muns posted:

I think this is a bit of an oversimplification. If Alex Jones and Breitbart and the like all came out one day and said "actually we were wrong, Trump is awful and a puppet of the Soviet Union trying to bring communism to the United States, we should have gone with notorious blue dog Democrat Hillary, who is awesome like Sarah Palin and doesn't molest children at all", then I don't think their followers would go along with it; I think they'd denounce Alex Jones, Breitbart, etc as part of the conspiracy. I don't think the conspiracy theorists blindly follow their leaders; I think that their leaders have successfully figured out the narrative that they want to hear.
Yeah but the problem is that no matter how much they play the greatest hits to the audience, there will still be one person in the audience who will start denouncing them as shills who will start their own movement. They're hosed no matter what, movements mutate and twist and change and turn and bite the hand that feeds. There will always be a schism, for better or for worse, and pandering will never solve that especially due to how much easier it is to start your own thing in this day and age.
Nice.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Oh poo poo did Margo Martindale win an another award? Good for her!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Because unlike humans, which can suppress their repulsion, animals are highly unsettled around him
Animals are innately able to sense the lack of souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohd0aT3m__k

• Locked thread