Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ThePeavstenator posted:

To be fair, there has been some disingenuous ways in which this story has been covered. Russia hacked the DNC to get information in order to help Trump win the election, but they did not hack the votes themselves.

Literally the only people who believe the story is about Russia actually hacking votes are people whose sole exposure to the story is coming across the words "Russia," "hacking," and "election" in a single sentence for the very first time. This tired straw man needs to die, unless you can dredge up some actual mainstream media coverage implying actual vote hacking, rather than just bad Facebook shares or tweets or some such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

loquacius posted:

Your friends must be smarter than mine because I've heard a lot of people in the last few weeks who are apparently 100% convinced that Russia singlehandedly decided our election results via hacking (they are, however, not specific as to what exactly this hacking did)

I've heard a lot of people that think that, but I haven't seen any media reporting even implying anything close. Thus my point stands: the problem doesn't seem to be with the media, but rather with where people get their news. Vague innuendo on social media from people who don't know anything more about a subject than "a thing happened" is how this kind of false narrative spreads.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Spiders rool, pest insects drool, QED.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Xander77 posted:

Well, if your lifelong ambition was to actually blow someone's mind by posting a link, consider it achieved.

Racism aside, what the gently caress else do these assholes want?

White Evangelical hegemony.

Like back when America was Great!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

"Cuckistan"

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

OldTennisCourt posted:

Why do Conservatives have the lamest burns possible? I don't want to be a smug "Heh, Liberals are much smarter!" guy, but every Conservative comedian/cartoon has the lamest insults ever. "LOL BLACK DONG CIGARS LOL "

The same reason there's basically no conservative comedians: liberal humor is punching up or self-effacing, conservative "humor" is punching down. And that's only funny if you're a petty, spiteful idiot.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The idiot on the right is Rall's self-insert

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yes, they say you can't have something increase in complexity because that would violate entropy, which says everything can only become more disordered, under all circumstances, period. Checkmate, atheists.:science:

The second law of thermodynamics applies to isolated systems. The earth is not an isolated system! :argh:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Internet Webguy posted:

"I'm being murdered for DNC CNN SCANDAL!"

Hahahaha holy poo poo, it's literally BUT HER EMAILS

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

:drat:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Brother Entropy posted:

a lot of labor being burned on nafta previously

Labor didn't even get mildly warmed from NAFTA and other trade agreements, let alone burned.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mantis42 posted:

permanent cuck status

:whitewater:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Ularg posted:

*Zelda gets posted*

"I'm tired of people posting this garbage!"

*Branco, Tinsley, Prickly City gets posted*

"Aww yea that's the stuff."

Clearly Zelda just isn't soul-crushingly awful enough for this thread.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Fulchrum posted:

Last time around, attempts to reform healthcare were destroyed by hardliners who refused to work on anything that wasn't single payer,

The gently caress? Winning over the Blue Dogs was the main fight in getting the ACA passed, and largely why it was so mediocre, not because of some supposed intransigence from single-payer supporters.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

What's the over-under on how much longer we relitigate the 2016 campaign? 2 years? 5? Someone give me some idea so I know how long to stop reading this drat thread.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Oh gently caress off you disingenuous hack

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I'm honestly kinda surprised that none of the austoons in the last couple of days have touched on the Minneapolis shooting.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Keiya posted:

Blatantly offensive. It's a loving adjective, not a verb. It's not a thing that happens to someone.

From a strictly linguistic standpoint, I'm 99% sure the reason that most people screw this up and then scratch their heads about when corrected is that "gendered" is the proper adjective form for things that have or relate to gender ("gendered language," etc), so they naturally assume that merely putting the "trans" prefix on the front is also proper usage.

English being the poo poo mongrel language that it is, they are of course wrong, but it's easy to see that no malice is intended in the vast majority of unintentional uses. Of course, what we're seeing in this thread is a classic example of the backfire effect, where someone, when corrected, instead of internalizing the correction, doubles down on their challenged beliefs.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

No one in Zelda is smart or reasonable

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Marlette has been so milquetoast for so long that it's really kind of shocking to see the last week of his cartoons.

• Locked thread