Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

God can you imagine how baffling this comic would be if you chanced upon it in a paper without knowing any one of the following bits of lame trivia:
1. Who she is
2. Why she's wearing the feather
3. Who she's meant to be giving a speech to and at who's confirmation hearing
4. Why she's referencing Coretta King
5. Who Coretta King is and what she was talking about
6. What Coretta King was talking about in a different letter
7. Why this is a sick burn

Like that's a lot of assumed knowledge of talking points for the funny pages.

edit: I guess what I'm saying is needs more labels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

A non-American latching on to the deplorable thing is somehow even more pathetic.

It's not just him the hard right faction in our conservative party actively call themselves the Deplorables now, kill this whole dumb sunburnt country.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Yes, if rich people personally benefit from a bill it is surely a sign it is good for poor people.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Bill Leak just died.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/cartoonist-bill-leak-dead-after-suspected-heart-attack-20170310-guv8kj.html

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

I am sorry I posted without refreshing.

On the plus side I think in australian common law this means gillian triggs automatically wins and gets a prize and gets to go home.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Enophos posted:

Not to speak ill of the dead, but his constant hatred probably didn't help his heart. Requiescat in pace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

"And children" the tour guide will say as they tour the 18c, "this here is the hill that he literally died on."

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Ranter posted:

So I read here a few times that Bill Leak had a stroke with lead to a noticeable increase in his racist and hateful cartoons. According to reddit it was actually a fall that caused brain damage not related to a stroke. Same result either way, but a clarification for anyone else like me that was under the wrong impression.

Yeah I think the stroke is someone else.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Trapezium Dave posted:

Bill Leak:

The Australian is posting a "Best of Bill Leak" for their editorial cartoon. I'm still thinking on who would make a good replacement as the right-wing representative Aussie cartoonist in the round-up, everyone else is rather bland.

Best bet is probably Warren in the telegraph but it won't be the same. I mean he's hateful, sure but he doesn't revel in the hate quite like Bill did.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Where are these loving weird public bathrooms where toilets aren't in lockable stalls? Do americans just have a line of open toilets up against the far wall or something?

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

About a month ago there was a political cartoon with some great soviet/big brother/dear leader style posters of Trump - like bold three colour designs.

Does anyone remember who did them/where they are? I think it was Bors or Bennett but can't find them.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Trapezium Dave posted:

:australia:

David Rowe, on SECTION 18C:

Great expressions there but why does Turnbull have a bag full of dirt?

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Kopijeger posted:

Not convinced. It seems like the cartoonist believed that the Maginot line fell to direct attack because "the enemy was too dumb to realize" that it was impenetrable.

That is absolutely the joke. The reference to the Maginot line is "An insanely expensive defence project to give you a false sense of security that the enemy will absolutely focus on finding a cheap, effective way to neutralise".

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

I know everyone else is already piling in on this terrible comic but jesus christ in one comic showing one and a half X-rays he alternates between three different x-ray labelling conventions.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Zelda is cool and good if not world-changing and having a new comic every now and then is a Good Thing.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are you serious? I thought someone said she got a cyborg body that looked like her old body.

I mean in the GOOD GITS stuff she's been a cyborg for so long she has basically forgotten what she was originally like and just changes bodies to fit her mood, but I thought this movie ignored all of that.

The movie starts with the major being told her brain was originally saved from a dying racially-non specified/presumably white "refugee" called Mira Killian. In the third act she learns her brain was forcibly taken from a Japanese-ethnicity protester called Motoko Kusanagi. The whole film is a non-direct adaptation with lots of nods to the source material so it feels well-intentioned but obviously struck a sour note with a lot of people.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Guys it might be too early to say, but I feel like Zelda's plan of moving in with her FWB isn't gonna pan out.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Still feel like her awful rich artist layabout boyfriend was a better fit tbh.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Zelda is a cool and good comic.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Does anyone have the Stephen Collins cartoon of the Queen reading out paint colours to prince Philip as a sort of dark surreal experimental film with him responding "that's pretty bloody good!"? Trying to explain it to a friend and failing miserably.

Sardine Wit fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 28, 2017

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

I get that I'm just being trolled by Branco but I struggle to see how any of his fans look at this and see themselves as the good guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Stickfigure posted:

I like how Zelda is always with some dreamy dude, despite being probably the ugliest person in the comic roster and poor grooming.
edit
I guess it's like a subversion of the "subpar guywith a hot gf" trope?

The funnier thing is last comic she explicitly said she wasn't interested and didn't want to hang out with him just because he bought them drinks but a couple of wines later and her terrible life choices gland kicks in.

• Locked thread